A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boston123 View Post

Of course, this is the same group that thinks a self bow is 3 feet long, or that polearms lack spearheads, so reasonably-accurate descriptions of weapons and armor is out of the picture, I guess.
    Yeah. It's exalted. We don't really give a shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Yeah. It's exalted. We don't really give a shit.
      Who is "we"?

"You" might not give a shit, but I certainly do. And, the fact that the OP made a post specifically concerning how little sense and actual differentiation there was between weapons and armor sets there was, they just might as well.

Peace.

Comment

• The chain / gambinson combo is in the book, by the way. They call it a hauberk, and it's medium armour. So clearly what they call a chain shirt isn't supposed to be that.

Comment

• Eh, I probably shouldn't overthink armour too much; otherwise I get into areas such as how it makes no sense beyond gameplay purposes for edged weapons to be able to inflict injury to somebody wearing full plate.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
            The chain / gambinson combo is in the book, by the way. They call it a hauberk, and it's medium armour. So clearly what they call a chain shirt isn't supposed to be that.

Byrnie s and Hauberks are different in reality. Byrnies are short sleeved, reaching to the waist, and usually only made of one thickness of mail (aka what is described as a 'chain shirt" in the book). Hauberks are long-sleeved, usually two or three thicknesses, and cover the arms and legs (aka what is in the book)

Both would be worn with underpadding, because to do so otherwise would be nonsensical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              Eh, I probably shouldn't overthink armour too much; otherwise I get into areas such as how it makes no sense beyond gameplay purposes for edged weapons to be able to inflict injury to somebody wearing full plate.
              You stab 'em. Knives and swords have points. They can be worked in between the joints and the edges of the plates.

Of course, actually getting the weapon "in there" would be difficult ..... which is why most actual fights involving full plate ended up being wrestling matches, as each party tried to knock down and pin the other, so they could actually have the time to work a weapon in there.

Or, just smack 'em in the face or chest with a mace or a hammer. I find it weird that blunt weapons get bonuses to knock people down, and not bonuses to armor penetration. Slashing/chopping and piercing weapons do, but not a warhammer/mace?

Like I said, weird. I might just change "smashing" to something a little more appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                ... This section shows up the weaknesses of the tag-based system quite a bit. There's not enough differentiation between armour types here. I may have to cook up some custom tags to attach to the different armour types just to keep myself happy on that score. That said, the actual descriptions feel like they go beyond what most fantasy rpgs do when talking about armour, which gives a nice appreciation for those differences (bear in mind I haven't read D&D in decades, though).

And that's it for armour. The meaty stuff begins now, with Artefacts!
                I think this is a bit of a feature, not a bug, myself. The idea for the way equipment is this edition is to that you can play more or less what you want without being punished. And tags are pretty low key on armor and such that you can build your own with what's there if you want. I would go at the weapon and armor rules in this area as inspiration. It's to avoid things like how in prevous editions of Exalted, you were pretty much punishing yourself for picking say, an versus a sledge much fo the time.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

This section shows up the weaknesses of the tag-based system quite a bit. There's not enough differentiation between armour types here. I may have to cook up some custom tags to attach to the different armour types just to keep myself happy on that score. That said, the actual descriptions feel like they go beyond what most fantasy rpgs do when talking about armour, which gives a nice appreciation for those differences (bear in mind I haven't read D&D in decades, though).
                  Honestly I think it's a strength. I'm happy with the relative lack of customization in armor; I don't really want too much of my character's mechanical weight invested in "what type of armor does he wear".

Comment

• With regards to the attunement, I'm just blind, it seems. There are penalties, it just depends on the type of thing as to what they are. Which makes total sense. I got confused with a general section on attunements coming after the section on artefact weapons, I think.

As for the "it's a feature, not a bug" thing with armour... I guess you can see it either way, but for me the magic kind of disappears when you realise that the game makes no real effort to represent what your character is actually wearing. But that's very much personal taste.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• You feel a pretty big difference between the different classes of armor, but the looks of it are up to you, which is actually pretty nice. If you come up with more complex tags, try to think about the rules interaction and watch out for imbalance, Charms can cause a lot of unforeseen complications.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

• True enough. I've not really had enough combat experience with Exalted to know how the differences in armour type function at this stage.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Artefact Melee Weapons

Artefact weapons are oversized, and are designed to withstand everything.

Direlash
                          • Whips with magical metal woven into the leather.
                          • Does that mean that all "magical materials" are metals?
                          Razor Claws
                          • Hmmm... can normal claws not help with climbing? ...would seem not.
                          Short Daiklave
                          • Dual-wield daiklaves. So do they have the same stats if you wield just one at a time?
                          Slayer Khatar
                          • Only sometimes Worn? Also, why only Worn for the artefact version?
                          • Come to that, aren't these basically just up-specced versions of mortal weapons for the most part? Do we need a whole section beyond a note saying "you can get artefact versions of all the above, made out of the five magical materials. Artefact weapons use the below table for their basic stats," and noting (Artefact Only) for some of the tags? This feels quite repetitive of the mundane stuff, even if it is jazzed up language. I know that "it's a reference-first section" may be an explanation here, but still...
                          Smashfist
                          • Paired punching gauntless. Otherwise known as flashy cestuses (cesti?)
                          Medium Melee Weapons

Daiklave
                          • The Signature Swords of the Setting, which are long and horribly impractical to use for anyone who isn't an Essence user.
                          • This is the big "I'm an Exalt" sign, then.
                          • Come to think of that, idle speculation, can sorcerers do wibbly-wobbly magicky-wagicky stuff to allow certain mortals to use certain artefacts? I've heard no mention of it, but it sounds like a fairly classic sorcerous working.
                          Dire Chain
                          • Dire chains are chains that are magic.
                          Goremaul
                          • Magic hammers.
                          Grimcleaver
                          • Magic axes.
                          • I've realised another thing I don't get about this section. Some names imply unique-type items (like "Grimcleaver", "Longfang", "Volcano cutter"). while they actually just represent types of a thing. It rather cheapens the whole thing for me, particularly as the setting is at pains to point out that artefacts don't come off a factory floor. The standardised naming and types totally flies in the face of that.
                          Longfang
                          • Magic spears.
                          Reaper Daiklave
                          • Magic fencing swords.
                          Reaver Daiklave
                          • Magic smashing sword.
                          • And yes, I'm slightly glazing at this point. These descriptions feel unnecessary in a way that the identical armours did not.
                          Serpent-Sting Staff
                          • Magic seven-section staff.
                          Wrackstaff
                          • Magic quarterstaff.
                          Heavy Melee Weapons

Direlance
                          • Ah yes, this can be both a lance and a spear. Those references to use on foot make sense now.
                          Grand Daiklave
                          • For those who really want to be Cloud, there's this. A bigger magic smashing sword. Otherwise known as an artefact greatsword with better marketing.
                          Grand Goremaul
                          • These are big heavy maces that require attunement for even Exalts to lift them.
                          Grand Grimcleaver
                          • A bigger magical axe, with additional carvings.
                          Grimscythe
                          • A magical scythe, that can do nasty things to lots of people.
                          That's it for melee. Apologies for the lack of constructive description, but there's really not much to say about this stuff. It feels incredibly generic by the end, with the additional enchantment-type stuff just more flowery wording. If there's a different way to look at this for a read-through, I'm all ears.

Part of me thinks that this section might have been better off with a paragraph on each kind of weapon, and a series of tables giving the stats for mundane and artefact types. Would make referencing things easier, and make reading less repetitive.

Up next, Thrown. With a short list. I may fold it in with Archery.
                          Last edited by Xerxes; 09-05-2016, 03:10 AM. Reason: Spacing

Comment

Reaper Daiklave
                            • Magic fencing swords.
                            Magical KATANAS, thank you. Reaper Daiklaves are slashing swords, and are most often curved. I think the name of an artifact rapier is in fact a Fellsting.

Also, re: Uniqueness, thing of it this way.

A Longfang is a magical spear, and there may be many artifacts called Longfangs.

But, among all the magical spears, there's only one Gae Bolg.

Just because you have Daiklaves of different materials TECHNICALLY using the stats of Medium Melee Weapons with the Balanced and Lethal tags, doesn't mean they're exactly the same except for color.
                            Last edited by Kyman201; 09-05-2016, 04:22 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

[/LIST]Slayer Khatar[LIST][*]Only sometimes Worn? Also, why only Worn for the artefact version?
                              Because they don't generally make worn push daggers, but exalted has them because the old signature Zenith, Panther, has a pair that strap to his wrists.

This dude:

Comment

[*]Whips with magical metal woven into the leather.[*]Does that mean that all "magical materials" are metals?
                                Jade is a type of stone, but is typically made into a steel for use in weapons.

​This actually goes for all magical materials as well; weapons are not generally made from pure orichalcum or similar.

Originally posted by Xerxes
                                [/LIST]Slayer Khatar[LIST][*]Only sometimes Worn? Also, why only Worn for the artefact version?
                                A normal khatar is something that is held by a handle that is perpendicular to the length of the blade, as can be seen in the picture earlier in the chapter. Slayer khatars can be Artifact versions of those, or they can be something that is actually attached to the arm.

That they come in both versions, and the distinction is made, is a mild quirk of the game line since the First Edition core. The worn version of the khatar is also the signature weapon of the former Zenith signature character, Panther.

[*]Come to think of that, idle speculation, can sorcerers do wibbly-wobbly magicky-wagicky stuff to allow certain mortals to use certain artefacts? I've heard no mention of it, but it sounds like a fairly classic sorcerous working.
                                I think it sounds more like a fairly classic working to readers, who have numerous priorities around wanting mortals to wield artifacts or use supernatural martial arts or whatever else, then it would be for characters in the setting.

[*]I've realised another thing I don't get about this section. Some names imply unique-type items (like "Grimcleaver", "Longfang", "Volcano cutter").
                                Volcano Cutter is the name of a specific grand daiklave, it doesn't belong in that list.

while they actually just represent types of a thing. It rather cheapens the whole thing for me, particularly as the setting is at pains to point out that artefacts don't come off a factory floor. The standardised naming and types totally flies in the face of that.
                                This sounds to me like using the term "film" implies that all films are exactly the same.

Something being unique doesn't mean it has absolutely nothing in common with anything else.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X