No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I mean we'll get to the actual example artifact weapons in a bit, whereupon it becomes clear that the types of weapon have fancy names, and the individual weapons have even fancier names.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      • Does that mean that all "magical materials" are metals?
      Jade is stone, but is often described as being alloyed with steel to forge artefacts. Technically, that would be a metal matrix composite material, but, well, neo-bronze age with magic.

It's a magic stone that can be powdered and mixed with molten iron to form jade-steel.

But Orichalcum, Moonsilver, Starmetal, and Soulsteel are specifically exotic metals.

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      • This is the big "I'm an Exalt" sign, then.
      Yes, pretty much so, although there may be some Strange Folk who can also attune artefacts, and so too can Spirits. It definitely marks you as supernatural of some sort.

In third edition, at least, there's no mechanical incentive for Solars to be the Exalts Who Only Use Orichalcum. Though there is still a thematic resonance.
      Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      • I've realised another thing I don't get about this section. Some names imply unique-type items (like "Grimcleaver", "Longfang", "Volcano cutter"). while they actually just represent types of a thing. It rather cheapens the whole thing for me, particularly as the setting is at pains to point out that artefacts don't come off a factory floor. The standardised naming and types totally flies in the face of that.
      The names, Grimcleaver, Longfang, Daiklave, and such are grandfathered from previous editions. They basically just mean Artefact Axe, Artefact Spear, Artefact Sword, et cetera, but sound much more satisfying to say. They are also a reminder that your weapon is visually distinct from mortal weapons.

While Volcano Cutter is a rather unique specific weapon, she is still very definitely an oversized sword of exotic design; that is, a Grand Daiklave..

Comment

• The generic weapon names all mean some variant of Big/Nasty [regular thing], anyway. Direlash - Big whip; Daiklaive - Big sword; Grimcleaver - Nasty axe; Goremaul - Messy hammer. They're not even close to being as personal as an individual artifact name should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Magical KATANAS, thank you. Reaper Daiklaves are slashing swords, and are most often curved. I think the name of an artifact rapier is in fact a Fellsting.
          Ah, ok. The picture just looks really skinny, and I knew it wasn't mean to be a baton.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
          ​This actually goes for all magical materials as well; weapons are not generally made from pure orichalcum or similar.
          That makes sense given other magical materials rpg stuff (TES glass, I'm looking at you...), but is that mentioned anywhere?

I think it sounds more like a fairly classic working to readers, who have numerous priorities around wanting mortals to wield artifacts or use supernatural martial arts or whatever else, then it would be for characters in the setting.
          True enough. But I would still like mortals to be relevant in as many ways as possible. Personal taste, I guess.

This sounds to me like using the term "film" implies that all films are exactly the same.

Something being unique doesn't mean it has absolutely nothing in common with anything else.
          Originally posted by Greyman View Post
          The names, Grimcleaver, Longfang, Daiklave, and such are grandfathered from previous editions. They basically just mean Artefact Axe, Artefact Spear, Artefact Sword, et cetera, but sound much more satisfying to say. They are also a reminder that your weapon is visually distinct from mortal weapons.
          The problem for me is that these kind of titles sound (to me) like they're trying to sound unique, but they represent generic types. That dissonance puts me off. And apologies for the Volcano Cutter confusion, but I hope it kind of illustrates my point.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
          Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Artifact weapons are generally described as possessing enough will that it's not unfeasible that they could take a liking to a particular mortal and just decide to act like they're attuned to them. Magibabble about them sucking the motes out of the mortal's dormant essence pool or some shit is entirely optional.

Comment

• Artefact Thrown Weapons
              • Magical thrown weapons generally return to their user. Good thing to point out!
              • General tables. Good to have.
              Light Thrown Weapons

Infinite Chakram
              • So far, so simple.
              • What's the "Special" tag? Guess I'll find out at the end of the section.
              Sling of Distant Surprise
              • An invisible sling! Interesting idea, I assume that has some history somewhere, as it's not an entirely intuitive idea (to me, anyway).
              Medium Thrown Weapons

Glorious Staff Sling
              • Sling and walking stick. Individually-made, or does it reshape itself to each user? Probably the latter, given attunement.
              Skycutter
              • Boomerang that always returns. And peculiar to the East. Good bit of trivia to know.
              Artefact Archery Weapons

Light Archery Weapons

Short Powerbow
              • Bow to use while mounted.
              Powerbow
              • Very fancy looking bow.
              Siege Crossbow
              • A siege crossbow, rather than just an artefact crossbow? That implies a certain amount of scavenging and/or repurposing to me.
              Heavy Archery Weapons

Dragon Sigh Wind
              • Pretty blunderbuss! Gargoyley blunderbuss!
              Again, these all seem for the most part (apart from the chakram) to be artefact rehashes of regular weapons. Not a problem, just mildly bothersome to read through in one go. Which may also explain the tone of my responses to a degree. I don't expect this to be a problem when used as a reference.
              Last edited by Xerxes; 09-05-2016, 08:45 AM. Reason: Spacing

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
              Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

That makes sense given other magical materials rpg stuff (TES glass, I'm looking at you...), but is that mentioned anywhere?
                ​Look back over the descriptions; you'll see that virtually every weapon states that it is made from an alloy of the magical materials.

Originally posted by Xerxes
                The problem for me is that these kind of titles sound (to me) like they're trying to sound unique, but they represent generic types.
                I'm unsure of the issue here; is it that a term like "grimcleaver" sounds to you like it should be the name of a specific axe, rather than the common term for all axes, or that you don't get why there should be a term for Artifact axes beyond those words, or that no two weapons should resemble an axe?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Again, these all seem for the most part (apart from the chakram) to be artefact rehashes of regular weapons.
                  ​Do you mean the chakram is different because it can return?

(The Special tag was placed with the normal weapons; it refers to weapons with a distinct special property, such as the Infinite Chakram's ability to return or the ability of a normal sling to extend its range)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I guess they left the more off-the wall stuff for us to come up with. Like, I could totally see a solar coming up with some sort of hybrid goremaul/grimcleaver. And it wouldn't even be hard to stat: medium weapon (or heavy for the grand- version) with the bashing, smashing (when bashing), lethal, chopping (when lethal) and melee tags. (plus reaching and two-handed, if grand). Up the artifact rating a bit to account for the added versatility and away you go.

Comment

Short Daiklave[*]Dual-wield daiklaves. So do they have the same stats if you wield just one at a time?
                      If you dual-wield identical weapons you get a +2 Clash bonus. The note about getting 2 is so that you don't have to buy the artifact background twice if you want to dual-wield these.

Comment

• Oh, speaking of short daiklaves, is the attune cost 5 for both of them or 5 each?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          Oh, speaking of short daiklaves, is the attune cost 5 for both of them or 5 each?
                          By RAW you would need to attune twice, yes.

Comment

• Hmm I just noticed something. Fighting and Dire Chains are Martial Arts weapons not melee, yet there are no Martial Arts which have them as a form weapon. So no-one can use them without a penalty? I guess just add them to Snake...

Comment

• Originally posted by Major View Post
                              Hmm I just noticed something. Fighting and Dire Chains are Martial Arts weapons not melee, yet there are no Martial Arts which have them as a form weapon. So no-one can use them without a penalty?
                              ​There are more martial arts than the ones in the core.

Comment

• Also Ebon Shadow has them as form weapons.

Comment

Working...
                                X