No announcement yet.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell, if I were playing a Mortal game I could probably be sweet-talked into having someone with a Supernatural Merit of "May attune to one (AND PRECISELY ONE) artifact" gained through a variety of ways. Such as through a Working, some kind of backstory at Chargen, or if they're fucking insane, going a certain length of time using an unattuned artifact in combat and surviving.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Or the artifact could have special circumstances allowing mortals that meet the criteria to bind it. I mean it would be weird, but I could see an evocation being developed for a weapon that has gone through enough trials to allow certain mortals to draw on part of the artifact's power.

Comment

• I wonder if EX3 will ever go into specifics on how the Perfect of Paragon managed to get his staff working, or if it will be left entirely for individual STs to decide.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post
          I wonder if EX3 will ever go into specifics on how the Perfect of Paragon managed to get his staff working, or if it will be left entirely for individual STs to decide.
          I think something 3e is going ot try and do is not go around assuming he's the only mortal scavenger lord-come-god-king. A lot of the issue with the staff in a weird way is how much got talked about it over potentially other neat stuff out there. Volivat, Ysyr and a couple other places in 3e seem to be specifically to make it so the Perfect is interesting but not th eonly notable dude like him in the world.

And stuff.

And stuff.
          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• all that salt he has about not Exalting lets him channel his essence through it. That's why salt is so big in religious ceremonies, great for channeling.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
              A lot of the issue with the staff in a weird way is how much got talked about it over potentially other neat stuff out there.
              As I recall, the Prefect was intended to be an example of how a mortal tyrant could back his rule with a magic prop. Except that writers then failed to make him, the immortality granting staff, or his mind controlled dis/utopia, typical .

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                As I recall, the Prefect was intended to be an example of how a mortal tyrant could back his rule with a magic prop. Except that writers then failed to make him, the immortality granting staff, or his mind controlled dis/utopia, typical .
                Yeah that's about it. He was supposed to be part of an uncommon lot, but since word count tended to focus more on existing things than making new ones we ended up just getting more focus on how the Prefect works, and how he's a major power, and what his staff can do. As opposed to stuff like the satrapy in the West where the leader is in charge because no one wants to screw with a dude who owns a functioning warstrider, or the merchant prince who's massive trade network comes from a map and instructions she once found that instructs on how to use a large section of the Gates of Auspicious passage, or the wealthy individual who basically bought their kingdom because they got lucky and found a few cache eggs that happened to be used as storage for an artificer's jade surplus, etc.

Comment

• Something for 3e I'm trying to do is have neat exotic places that do stuff like that, yeah. I have a kingdom in the Southeast ran by a pair of necromancers, each wiht a weird necromancy trick that gives them great power, who are currently in a power-sharing agreement with their two kingdoms and have a massive empire as a result. They're not really married or monarchs of both countries, because they actually hate eachother. But one has the zombie army and the other has a bunch of bound ancient slave-ghosts used to create champions and they know they're basically more powerful together than apart.

Stuff like that's fun, but going around like the Perfect is literally the only guy in the world like him does kind of dampen the "room" for stuff like that.

And stuff.

And stuff.

Comment

• You guys have kind of pre-empted one of my main points in this next section here, so please carry on the discussion!

Additional Artefacts

These are the non-combat bits and pieces. All dice added count as charm dice.

Artefact 2
                    • Artefacts that are "common", but not common. That's... clearish, but confusing. Should they be common in a game about Exalts or not?
                    Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light
                    • Relatively common trinkets in the Realm, with many forms.
                    • Keeps the clothes you wear immaculately clean. With attument, covers your body too.
                    • A neat little effect, very appropriate for the nobility. Does an attuned one clean retroactively, I wonder?
                    Hearthstone Amulet
                    • A thing with a socket for a hearthstone.
                    • ...with no real benefits of its own? I assume that these 'dependent hearthstones' can only be at full capacity if properly plugged in.
                    • And only if the materials match? That makes sense in-universe, with some kind of conductivity involved, but I can see it being a (hopefully very minor) concern for a character's aesthetics and possibly also something for an ST to do to deny a player a usable hearthstone. A lot of this is basically down to the ST not being a cruel git, though.
                    Traveler’s Staff
                    • A staff that grows into a tree to provide overnight food, firewood and shelter.
                    • This sounds SO cool! I want one.
                    • If it's only a mundane quarterstaff for combat purposes, can it be snapped in the same way?
                    Yasal Crystal
                    • Gemstone to trap spirits and use their powers.
                    • This is a really great plot device. A crystal with a spirit inside that promises a normal mortal power if only they do such-and-such a thing. Or a mortal that agrees to do something for the spirit in return for their power.
                    • It can only be done for a certain number of times or the spirit gets tetchy or must be released? Then where are the rules on how to trap one?
                    • I know this is potentially overrulable by ST fiat (as is everything), but I have an image of these as being things that can house spirits to provide advice, guidance and powers for centuries, potentially for their family etc, but RAW doesn't imply that at all. I take it that all the restrictions are just conventions, and if the spirit wants to stay in the crystal they can do so indefinitely?
                    • Do not need to be attuned... So can mortals use them, despite not having an Essence pool of their own?*
                    Where was that no-poison cup that was referenced in the Merits section? I would have liked to see that worked through here.

Artefact 3
                    • As powerful and rare as artefact weapons.
                    Belt of Shadow Walking
                    • Helps with stealth and lets the wielder become a dematerialised shadow for a scene.
                    • And this, folks, is how you make recurring antagonists recur.
                    • Teh mote tax on this feels quite hefty, but I guess the effect is super useful, so it's kind of justified.
                    Bracers of Universal Crafting
                    • Bracers that create handy tendrils of Essence, which can be used to help with any fine manipulation task.
                    • As these additional tools/things of Essence disappear after use, I assume they're visible? It's only implied in this text. And so they are super conspicuous for Exalts who want to remain incognito to use.
                    Essence Glider
                    • A foldable glider that uses Essence instead of fabric. Niche, but a neat image.
                    Artefact 4
                    • These are rare enough to make people war over ownership of them.
                    Folding Ship
                    • Portable box that contains a self-crewing ship. Totally self-repaired if kept in its box for a day, and comes in many types.
                    • I can see monarchs wanting to use one of these for prestige reasons, but would they risk war over something like this? Something that would give them something big and grand, like more leverage over their subjects or to enhance their kingdom in some way, but a single ship? That feels a bit underwhelming.
                    Artefact 5
                    • Wonders from a past age that can change the course of history.
                    • The descriptions do a good job of bigging up the ratings, but I'm being sufficiently unimaginative that I'm struggling to see how the artefacts themselves live up to that.
                    The Wondrous Globe of Precious Stability
                    • Creates pockets of stability against the Wyld.
                    • Now THIS I can see driving a whole campaign.
                    • Although only affecting one building... eh. Back down to earth with relatively underwhelming consequences. Yes, maybe make a fortress against the Wyld as a frontier-style game, but how do you stabilise things outside of that? A lot of possiblities, but only a few that feel world-shaping.
                    These ideas are really neat, but I have a hard time grokking the ratings. Artefact 3 seems the most logical to me, and the extremes kind of... warp. But it's very nice to see a good level of care taken over non-combat items.

Onto hearthstones next, which a skim-read of the first paragraph tells me would make more suitable "kingdoms warring over them" items.

*Some explanation as to why I'm banging on about mortals being able to use artefacts a lot: I really don't want Creation to be the kind of place where Exalts need to pop up around ever corner in order to give PCs a credible threat. I feels a lot like this is the case in RAW. As such, I'm now desperately looking for ways to have mortals enhanced, so as to provide a challenge and not need to have Exalts or spirits doing anything, and allowing mortals to use artefacts seems a reasonable way to do this.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• I would imagine through various Sorcerous workings that you could make kinda-psuedo-Artifacts for mortals to use, kinda like how one of the mortal antagonist QCs has an "enchanted" piece of armor.

Despite how ..... weird..... Glories of the First Age made certain things, one thing I liked was the Artifacts that mortals could use, that involved "essence batteries" and D&D-style charges. Make them rare, and not "mass-produced magitech"

Comment

• Oh, just thought of another way it could happen: Rare hearthstones. Basically an inverse version of that daft one that makes weapons too heavy to lift.

Comment

• Folding Ship seems like something that is great for smugglers, pirates, messengers, blocade-runners and the lot.

And stuff.

And stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                            Folding Ship seems like something that is great for smugglers, pirates, messengers, blocade-runners and the lot.
                            Absolutely. Having a pocket universe like that would be awesome for those types of characters. But my gripe is - would a monarch go to war to possess one?

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                            Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• A single one he probably can't even use if he is a mortal? I doubt it. If he is an Exalted and the ship itself has something more than just the folding ability? Probably. Not a full out war though. If not and if there is only one, most likely not. The folding and repairing ability of it can be useful for sneak missions, expeditions and like so he would probably try to steal it without endangering his whole fleet of normal ships in a war.

I agree with you Xerxes. The examples of "world-changing" artifacts are meh. As well as those for "worth-a-war" rating 4 artifacts. That is the reason why we only use homebrew artifacts in our games that are a bit more fitting for these descriptions (although with the potential to be gamebreaking since we all suck at homebrewing mechanics).

My (mostly) German Exalted blog: Praise the Spiral!

Comment

• Bear in mind this is a setting where people frequently have wars over cattle. The bar's a bit lower than you're probably imagining.

Comment

Working...
                                X