A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-through of Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Bear in mind this is a setting where people frequently have wars over cattle. The bar's a bit lower than you're probably imagining.
    Probably, but that's not the feel I get just from the corebook.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
      Probably, but that's not the feel I get just from the corebook.

I feel the same way.

I believe that a decent herd of cattle should be far more valuable, and therefore, far more worth going to war over, than some boat that probably 99.999% of the population couldn't make use of.

Comment

Absolutely. Having a pocket universe like that would be awesome for those types of characters. But my gripe is - would a monarch go to war to possess one?
        Also bare in mind that not all rulers go to war for logical reasons. Some of them just want to show off their amazing riches they got from conquering. "Oh that? That's just my folding ship. Yeah it fits in a pocket. I got that when I demolished the 'so called glorious' empire of Zankaru. It was their prized possession. I just use it's sails to block the evening sun from my ocean-view window in my 2nd study. It gets so dreadfully bright whenever I visit that room."

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• In one of my games, the party just discovered an artifact that's truly "No, you don't get it, nations will go to war over this"

It's a table covered in silver sand. When Essence is sent through it, it can turn into a full map of Creation.

It has the ability to zoom in, and display events in real-time, such as an army marching.

And you can use a focus of some kind in order to highlight things on the map. Like, use a scrap of clothing ripped from an assassin, and you can find where the rest of their clothing is. Use some hair, you can find where THEY are.

The party immediately realized that this is the kind of thing Mnemon would literally slaughter an entire kingdom to get her hands on.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Absolutely. Having a pocket universe like that would be awesome for those types of characters. But my gripe is - would a monarch go to war to possess one?
            ​Monarchs go to war to possess lucrative trade routes.

The monarch doesn't personally go along the trade route to transport the highly valuable and exclusive goods that the trade route conveys, but ownership of the trade route still gives you a means of extracting wealth or exerting power from it.

If you've got a ship that can go over land, even if it's just one, there are ways that you can undercut the wealth of the caravans that need to go in big wagons drawn by yeddim, or you can have a means of accessing the sea without requiring borders that touch it.

You'll need to hire somebody else to pilot the ship that belongs to you, but this is true of basically any trading ship ever.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              If you've got a ship that can go over land, even if it's just one, there are ways that you can undercut the wealth of the caravans that need to go in big wagons drawn by yeddim, or you can have a means of accessing the sea without requiring borders that touch it.
              The ship doesn't go over land; it can just be carried in your backpack. Which is rather nice, but you then have to walk or ride. Still, being free of the need to use ports for maintenance is very convenient, and not needing a crew frees more room for passengers under sail.

There's no mention of what happens to any cargo when it folds, which would make a significant difference.
              Last edited by Greyman; 09-09-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• I'm just gonna bring this up as a suggestion war doesn't necessarily have to be done by kingdoms or nations. Granted the book says 4 dot artifacts are of a variety that wars will be fought your first instinct is going to be nations and kingdoms not pirates, smugglers, and the like waging war with each-other. It wouldn't have hurt to have included something like the singing staff which could reshape a battlefield or the local geography.

That or include the description from Oadnel's Codex in 2E where a 4dot artifact provides either an overwhelming advantage in one field or a great advantage in a lot of fields.

Comment

*Some explanation as to why I'm banging on about mortals being able to use artefacts a lot: I really don't want Creation to be the kind of place where Exalts need to pop up around ever corner in order to give PCs a credible threat. I feels a lot like this is the case in RAW. As such, I'm now desperately looking for ways to have mortals enhanced, so as to provide a challenge and not need to have Exalts or spirits doing anything, and allowing mortals to use artefacts seems a reasonable way to do this.
                  It would also be nice to do it without making every story become all about: let's just steal the McGuffin .

It is so much an issue with stationary or wide-area effects (see Globe of Wondrous Stability, which can be empowered by a hearthstone, or various hearthstones themselves).

However, unless the mortal is an exception, any worthwhile artefact abilities that any mortal can use without mote commitment, can also be so used by exalts, and such commitment-free, portable, personal-use artefacts become overly attractive to players.

Comment

• Looking through this, there are many different types of hearthstones (why are there different types for each Exalt type? I thought they were supposed to be a thing created by geomancy), so I'm going to break things up by type. Sorry once again for the horrible slowness of posting.

Hearthstones
                    • Hearthstones grow at the centre of manses and other geomantic focus points.
                    • They do various things, like influence things around them, or 'more targeted and specific miracles', which sound specifically like artefact effects.
                    • Artefacts are often made with the expectation of hearthstones being placed there.
                    Hearthstone Keywords
                    • Hearthstones come in different types.
                    • Linked hearthstones are destroyed as their parent manse is destroyed, and never occur 'in the wild'.
                    • Steady hearthstones go on forever, regardless of what happens to their source.
                    • Dependent hearthstones need another hearthstone to function.
                    • Manse-born hearthstones will never happen in the wild. Hmm... why not just always have Manse-born as a requirement for linked, rather than making it a property of Linked? No particular issue here, it just feels a little untidy.
                    • Wild-born is the opposite - can only happen in demesnes, never manses.
                    • Hearthstones without keywords can be whatever the ST wants. A nice piece of fiat that allows for some good customisation.
                    Destroying Hearthstones
                    • Very hard to do, and can only happen after examination from an occult jeweller.
                    • Specific artefacts were developed to do this in the First Age, but mostly done with artefact weapons now.
                    • Linked hearthstones are destroyed by destroying their parent manse. Once the manse is rebuilt, a hearthstone takes a season to grow.
                    • Steady hearthstones come back via unspecified but more difficult methods.
                    And so we go on to the elemental hearthstones, beginning with Air.
                    Last edited by Xerxes; 09-15-2016, 02:52 AM. Reason: Lack of bullets

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Looking through this, there are many different types of hearthstones (why are there different types for each Exalt type? I thought they were supposed to be a thing created by geomancy), so I'm going to break things up by type. Sorry once again for the horrible slowness of posting.
                      To be fair most of the ones listed are more elemental in nature, so it's less different hearth stone type for different exalts and more the primary elements of the setting are represented by the Dragonbloods too. After that really Solar is the only one in the core that seems out of place really I lay that one down as places where the energy of the sun ends up infusing the land like a particular sun scorched valley might end up just as a resevoir of solar essence.

Comment

• Although we do have lists of Abyssal, Lunar and Sidereal Hearthstones too... elemental ones I could cope with because it makes sense as you say. But the others... what?

Comment

Looking through this, there are many different types of hearthstones (why are there different types for each Exalt type? I thought they were supposed to be a thing created by geomancy), so I'm going to break things up by type.
                          Its for the same reason that there are different magical materials with properties and themes that resonate with the exalt types. (See Evocations, when you get there.)

Also, that's Geomancy as in "flows of essence through the structure", not the Craft speciality or occult art.

So we have manses aspected to the five terrestrial elements, three types of celestial essence, and underworld essence.

[Not that the term is properly defined anywhere in the book for new players.]
                          Last edited by Greyman; 09-15-2016, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Although we do have lists of Abyssal, Lunar and Sidereal Hearthstones too... elemental ones I could cope with because it makes sense as you say. But the others... what?
                            Lunar is basically the same as Solar.
                            Abyssal is a bit easier as those hearthstones generally come from the Underworld or Shadowlands. In which its geomantic essence flow like normal only it's running the essence of the underworld as opposed to the essence of Creation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                              Also, that's Geomancy as in "flows of essence through the structure", not the Craft speciality or occult art.
                              I get that, it's just that I don't see why the Essence flows of the world need to mirror the kinds of Exaltation there are out there.

Comment

• Elemental Hearthstones

Hearthstones of Air

The Orb of Cool Breezes (Standard)
                                • As long as it's exposed to the air, there are breezes everywhere for 2 miles. Needs to be sealed in something airtight for the effect to stop.
                                • Supernatural airconditioning feels a little underwhelming. Aside from making working conditions for a village slightly more bearable, what would you even use it for?
                                Memory Stone (Standard)
                                • Interesting description...
                                • Can load memories into this stone whenever the bearer chooses, giving perfect recall. Wipes after a day unattuned.
                                Aetherial Sphere (Greater)
                                • Allows knowledge of a single terrestrial circle sorcery spell while in the socket of an attuned artefact. Once the spell is learned, antoher pops up.
                                Gem of Fair Winds (Greater)
                                • All winds within 3 miles of the stone blow a particular way as determined by the orientation of the stone. Any change in stone's direction changes the wind direction over the course of 15 minutes.
                                • Another "huh?" stone. Useless to have in your pocket, and not sure what benefit it would bring even if left in a manse.
                                Twice-Striking Lightning Prism (Greater)
                                • By now, the descriptions are causing glazing, in the same way that charm descriptions do. Which is more of a problem for hearthstones, as they are actual objects.
                                • Gives an Essence rating boost to any charm, evocation or spell that furthers a character's defining intimacies for the purposes of effect calculations.
                                • This is a nice one. Clearly written, very obvious and useful effect.
                                Some of these effects feel a little... small. I can't see the point to a lot of them.

Hearthstones of Earth

The Stone of Stability (Standard)
                                • Stabilises all buildings within 3 miles, doubling strength and durability against natural damage. No benefits against vandalism or other intentional damage.
                                • Very useful for Exalts in a place where there are earthquakes.
                                • How do earthquakes even happen in Creation, beyond sorcerous machinations? It's not like there are tectonic plates.
                                Iron Soul Stone (Standard)
                                • Grants immunity to Wyld mutation to everyone within 100 yards, and stops the onset of Wyld addiction. Fae have a minor tie of aggression towards the holder.
                                • I keep coming back to ideas for a "Wyld frontier fortress" campaign to extend Creation's borders when this sort of thing crops up, as pretty much the only time these things would be useful. Is this a problem?
                                The Earth Shaping Jewel (Greater)
                                • Anyone who touches the hearthstone can turn dirt or clay into stone for a day afterwards, if they stay within 3 miles of the stone and if the stone has been in the same location for a week.
                                • Way to dry out a swamp. Just installed the stone and have the workers "tap in" to work that day. Large amounts of dry stone resulting from the instant quarry!
                                Mountain-Burden Stone (Greater)
                                • Aren't all hearthstones 'unusual'?
                                • Makes the weapon it's attached to much heavier.
                                • Unless this is sneaked into a person's wargear (difficult with the noise it makes), how would you ever use this stone? Mid-combat? It feels like the ST would have to go to the effort of describing empty sockets everywhere just for this stone to have a purpose. I imagine there are lots of those sorts of weapons around, but from a gameplay perspective it feels contrived.
                                Sword-Soul Gem (Greater)
                                • Again with the emphasis on unusual for something that's already very rare!
                                • Grants access to the next Evocation in the artefact's tree without having to learn it, while having some cool colour-changing effects.
                                Lots of nice obvious use cases for these ones. I guess the illustration is of a Mountain-Burden Stone, despite the colour?

Hearthstones of Fire

The Firestop Stone (Standard)
                                • Fire is more difficult to start and stoke within 3 miles of the stone, unless an object is marked with a sigil and certain incantations are said regularly.
                                Sphere of the Revolutionary Dog (Standard)
                                • Can hold an additional willpower point in reserve for a character to use at any time.
                                Gem of Endless Summer (Greater)
                                • The air is warmed for four miles around the stone to the temperatures of high summer.
                                • Is this effect Direction-dependent? So if used in the North the degree temperature generated would be much lower than if it was used in the South?
                                • Wouldn't this create pretty much constant winds? Hot air rises, and cooler air rushes in to fill the gap. Worse, would the sudden drop in temperatures at the boundary would make it incredibly likely to have a ring of rain storms around the area?
                                Candent Carbuncle (Greater)
                                • Grants evocations. Which look like charms, but for artefacts.
                                • Attack with the weapon gets raw damage from flames.
                                • Bearer can fling fireballs up to short range.
                                The ones everyone will probably want. Why is fire always the most exciting element? Possibly because it has lots of martial uses.

Hearthstones of Water

The Purity Gem (Standard)
                                • Water drawn within 3 miles is always drinkable and has all diseases, poisons or other deleterious effects neutralised.
                                • Very useful gem to have on a military campaign!
                                The Fountain-Summoning Stone (Standard)
                                • When buried, this stone eventually produces a spring of water that lasts until the end of the next full day after it appeared. Must operate within an area where a spring could possibly appear.
                                The Orb of Calm (Greater)
                                • Seas grow calm around a four-mile radius, and the weather is always light. Only functions near the sea or a large lake.
                                The Freedom Stone (Greater)
                                • Another evocation stone.
                                • Get bonuses to escaping inanimate bonds.
                                • User can escape grapples before things can be done to her if she wins the control roll.
                                • Get bonuses in the control roll vs a hostile grapple.
                                Some really interesting effects here.

Hearthstones of Wood
                                • I totally forgot wood was an element in this setting until now...
                                The Health Stone (Standard)
                                • Repels rot and disease up to 2 miles from the stone. Food doesn't go off, and people who wear special amulets get bonuses against disease.
                                • I spy a mercantile opportunity! And lots of counterfeit ones, too.
                                What is going on with the pictures on pp.608-609? Is it meant to be some sort of before-and-after thing? I see no change apart from the hut with the hearthstone in it...

The Monkey Stone (Standard)
                                • Negates mobility penalties for acrobatic or tree-climbing antics. Bonus to these rolls if no mobility penalty exists, and trees are never difficult terrain.
                                The Harvest Gem (Greater)
                                • Fields within 5 miles of the stone are very fertile, producing bonus yields when worked.
                                • Is this what the picture on p.609 represents?
                                Rose of Millions (Greater)
                                • Can set a Major or Defining intimacy in a socketed stone before the character sleeps, and then note if a character shares that intimacy. Only holds 1 intimacy at a time.
                                • Hmm... an awful lot of these effects require or at least suggest that the stone should be stationary in order to either work at all or get the maximum benefit, which runs counter to the desire to keep them with you to maintain the "always in your manse" mote regeneration. Is this tension intended?
                                • Some way in I started glazing the keywords. They only really come into play when manses and points are considered, right? Although some of the bigger effects seem to be linked to dependent hearthstones, which is a reasonable-ish check on their use.
                                And that's it for elemental hearthstones. Next up, Solar hearthstones.
                                Last edited by Xerxes; 09-15-2016, 04:01 AM. Reason: SPACING!

Comment

Working...
                                X