Steel and Turquoise {Quest}

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel and Turquoise {Quest}

Among the Dun Maga, few nights are as joyous as when a new child joins the clan. As your mother sweats and labors in the felt tent, your relatives light fires outside, bang drums, and sing chants to the great white mare of the moon, celebrating your arrival and frightening off those specters and demons which might wish you harm.

Your clansmen are especially interested in tonight celebration, for the sky has given sign that your life may be a special one.

What was the sign?
    • The moon tonight is full and a dark red color
    • The constellation named ‘the serpent’ has risen to its zenith tonight.
    • A bright star in the foot of a constellation called ‘the hunter’ has gone dark
    • The constellation named ‘the spider’ has reappeared in the night sky.
    Outside, your father waits with three fat pigs to slaughter when word of your successful birth reaches him. Three pigs are traditionally the offering for a:
    • First born
    • Second born
    • Late born

From the dark and gentle safety of the womb, you are pushed out into a pair of wizened hands. Your godmother’s face looms before you, though you are too young to understand what you’re looking at.

What do you do?
    • Scream and wail! What is that noise?! What are these things floating in front of you?! Fuck this shit, you liked it in there.
    • Cry a bit then settle down. Cooing and ‘smiling’ at these faces you see.
    • Cry a bit and then glace around, trying to take in your environment.

Welcome to the Quest thread for Steel and Turquoise!

We'll do a bit of character creation first and then get on with our heroic tale. Ask questions as desired.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

A bright star in the foot of the hunter has gone dark. (Orion?)

First born. (Eldest child privileges, bitches!)

Scream and wail! What is that noise?! What are these things floating in front of you?! Fuck this shit, you liked it in there! (I laughed)

Comment

Blood Moon

First Born

Freak the hell out, get these savages away from me!

Comment

Blood Moon! Can't miss that!

Three pigs?! Do you even realize how rich a bounty that much bacon is?! Got to be First Born!

Scream and Wail! Show 'em you've got hot red blood flowing in your veins!

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Serpent! Second-born! Smiling!

Comment

The Hunter has gone dark (it should be something that happens never or Extremely rarely, for ut to be portentious enough!)

First Born (in this culture, due to some tempered (?) wisdom from long ago and due to our way of life (I imagine the people live as a community, as one big herd) and limited access to food, one family is only allowed to consist of up to 3 children. It is therefore tradition (law, or rule) that at the first ones birth should be slaughtered 3 of the families fattest pigs (2 for the second born, 1 for the third). So to remind the parents of the increasing responsibilities and hardships that come with adding to the family (and at the last one born, as a reminder of how stretched the supply is now, compared to before you had children of your own).

Birth reaction: [I have no opinion on this, but not screaming would add to the specialness of the birth]

Super fun/interesting! Will try to follow!

Comment

A bright star has gone dark

Late born

Scream

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

The constellation named ‘the spider’ has reappeared in the night sky.

First, but Late Born. You are the long awaited child of older parents.

Scream! Bright light! Bright light! It's awful!
                Last edited by wonderandawe; 04-27-2016, 10:33 AM.

I write things.

Comment

First and late is good
                  Blood moon is cool, spider second choice
                  Calm and smiling, all this shit is mine now!

Comment

Votes:
                    Blood moon - 11
                    Serpent - 1
                    Bright star - 111
                    Spider - 1

First born - 11111
                    Second born -1
                    Late born -1

Scream - 11111
                    Cry and smile - 1
                    Cry and glance – 0
                    (No screaming) – 1

Congrats on not killing your mother and ending up an only child.

Three fattened pigs are slaughtered for the first born of Argon and Tiene. You are a boisterous and healthy baby, and the star going dark on the night of your birth was an auspicious sign. Perhaps a bit of its strength and energy filled you?

Your family gives you your childhood name ‘Bright Star.’

As you grow, you spend many seasons traveling the steppe with your mother, tending to your clan’s herds of yak and sheep. Like all children of the Dun Maga, you’re taught to ride as soon as you can walk. Some seasons you return to the small settlement where your father lives and he shows you how he turns iron into plates of steel.

The Elders of your clan teach you its history. Once the Dun Maga lived in harmony with the Dun Tuvi, the Dun Raki, and the Dun Onl; they were proud and honorable warriors who protected the other Peoples from all foes. But the Dun Raki were greedy and disrupted this harmony, tricking the other People into attacking the Dun Maga. Your clan was forced to flee west and it was many generations before they came to this land and made treaty with the Dun Drahgo.

The main take-away from this is that horses are good, serpents are evil, and this land is rightfully yours so you must secure it from thieves and scavengers.

At the age of ten, you are exploring your father’s settlement. Where do you head?
                    • Up the road a ways. You’ve been told there’s a great city at the end of it, but you’ve never seen it.
                    • To the lake to swim or fish.
                    • To the nearby forest with your new bow.
                    • You go to the nearby burial mound and pay your respects to your ancestors.

At the moment, you are a very healthy, social child who knows a bit of ride, survival, and craft.

Comment

Up the road a ways. You’ve been told there’s a great city at the end of it, but you’ve never seen it.

(Now I wonder what options would killed our mother?)

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post
                        (Orion?)
                        An allusion to Orion, though the official constellations are from the Sidereal 2nd Edition book. The Dun Maga don't know what the 'proper' names are though.

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                        (Now I wonder what options would killed our mother?)
                        Spoiler to alternative:
                        First born, spider. You would have been primarily raised by your father, so no traveling the steppes for seasons at a time. Instead, you'd get more city dweller skills.

Comment

Originally posted by hippokrene View Post

Spoiler to alternative:
                          First born, spider. You would have been primarily raised by your father, so no traveling the steppes for seasons at a time. Instead, you'd get more city dweller skills.

Ha! My choices would have killed our mother!

I write things.

Comment

The burial mound.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Burial Mound.

(I assume this will lead to an Occult specialty)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X