EXALTED RETURNS - The Solar "Backer Charm" PDF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    Apart from how they're selling another book for new players to buy.

I look forward to seeing the new charms.

They would have been selling the book regardless of whether or not it had the bonus content. It's also more charms that I was expecting, the stretch goal for for 20 of us to get ONE custom charm. So it's 28 more backer charms, and 33 extra charms above whan was expected...

Comment

More powerful charms is fine, because people were already complaining that some trees didn't have any Essence 4 or 5 charms. I mean, I doubt they'll have Essence 6 charms.

I'm interested to see what wacky ideas the backers had.

If they turn out to be too crazy, they're together in one convenient book to not buy and not use. But I imagine they'll be fine.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        More powerful charms is fine, because people were already complaining that some trees didn't have any Essence 4 or 5 charms. I mean, I doubt they'll have Essence 6 charms.
        I do hope that a good chunk of these charms actually are in underdeveloped abilities (like War), or elaborating on underdeveloped concepts (non-ninja Thrown, social influence through Art/Cooking). I'm somewhat positive that at least *some* of them will be in these abilities and/or touching on these (or at least other new) concepts.

I'm confident that it's not just 81 more Melee charms... but that would be the worst-case scenario.
        Last edited by Amakawa Yuuto; 04-28-2016, 09:11 AM.

Silencing Whisper, Eclipse; Amethyst, Changing Moon;
        Daughter of Charcoal and Ash, Dusk, and her Full Moon sister;
        Broken Crystal, Infernal (Night-, or maybe Twilight-equivalent).

Comment

Well...

This will be interesting.

I'm... not enthusiastic for more charms down the line. I disliked crossreferencing stuff in late 2E, and I don't want that problem to return or for the devs to do the D&D thing and stick charms in unrelated books for pagecount. That said? I'm down for this. Some nice high power unique effects would really round out the 3E Solar charm list. Then again, there's no way to know what sort of stuff we're getting beyond that designator... wait and see I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Amakawa Yuuto View Post
            I do hope that a good chunk of these charms actually are in underdeveloped abilities (like War), or elaborating on underdeveloped concepts (non-ninja Thrown, social influence through Art/Cooking). I'm somewhat positive that at least *some* of them will be in these abilities and/or touching on these (or at least other new) concepts.

I'm confident that it's not just 81 more Melee charms... but that would be the worst-case scenario.

Melee got a lot of backer requests, but so did Sail (yes, you read that right: SAIL) and Survival. And we put a few in Abilities that didn't get picked. There's a good spread.

Comment

Originally posted by John Mørke View Post
              Melee got a lot of backer requests, but so did Sail (yes, you read that right: SAIL) and Survival. And we put a few in Abilities that didn't get picked. There's a good spread.
              I can understand Sail getting a lot (I know one of my ideas was around it), because for me about one third of my games are based in the West, and those games feature a LOT of time on a ship. So being able to do some pretty extreme things with you ship is very desirable. Were a lot of the Survival charms based around familiars?

Comment

but so did Sail (yes, you read that right: SAIL)
                Awwww Yissss. Motha. Fukin' SAIL!

(I love 3e sail)

Former bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Molez View Post

Were a lot of the Survival charms based around familiars?
                  ALL

The backers could not get enough of those effects.

Comment

Oh, I'm not surprised that there is Melee - "Hitting people with things" is both an effective and classic fighting style in reality and media, and combat is a large part of most RPGs, so I see why it's also the most developed ability. But I'm glad that it's not the only stuff in there.

(Though I never really cared for Sail. Neither for Ride. Which is ironic, since I'm an Eclipse fanboy. I'm so glad I can select my caste abilities...)

Silencing Whisper, Eclipse; Amethyst, Changing Moon;
                    Daughter of Charcoal and Ash, Dusk, and her Full Moon sister;
                    Broken Crystal, Infernal (Night-, or maybe Twilight-equivalent).

Comment

Originally posted by TDS View Post
                      Starting your pitch with MOAR POWERFUL CHARMS may not be the best idea.
                      I literally asked for a War charm so goddamn powerful that demons looked at Solars using it and NOPEd out of Creation and back into Malfeas because that was safer for them. I figured if I was going to spend $200 on a custom charm, it would be better to request a charm that delivered something fucking awesome to the community as a whole and that pushed the boundaries of what the corebook offered.

Sure, it was kind of embarrassing when John indirectly pointed out that I'd completely misread Ideal Battle Knowledge Prana in a really bizarre way that made my request much too powerful to write, but I'm extremely curious about the alternative he suggested.

(In b4 my e-mails got lost in a vortex of confusion and the devs went with my backup request or something.)

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

This is so awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                          I literally asked for a War charm so goddamn powerful that demons looked at Solars using it and NOPEd out of Creation and back into Malfeas because that was safer for them. I figured if I was going to spend $200 on a custom charm, it would be better to request a charm that delivered something fucking awesome to the community as a whole and that pushed the boundaries of what the corebook offered.
                          I now love you.

We definitely need a fucking ton of additional War Charms.

Comment

ALL

The backers could not get enough of those effects.
                            The Survival tree was really, really good and evocative. I can totally understand why. The Zenith in one of my games agonized over whether they should take Survival or Resistance as their supernal because they were both such strong choices.

Seeing you so enthusiastic about getting these new charms out to everyone is, to me, very infectious. I am super excited for the charms and to see you, Holden, and the writers share your enthusiasm about the other upcoming projects as they get close.

Pronounced "Monkey Pie"

Find my actual play content here!

Comment

Jesus fucking christ, more charms? Like, I don't want to be a downer here, but they better be really goddamn good in order for me to not immediately dismiss the whole book as more charm bloat. And by good, I don't mean "powerful", I mean flavorful, evocative, charms that inform me about the abilities of Solars and provide new and interesting unique options for my character.

Comment

Just to be a dissenting voice;

MOAR CHARMS PLEASE!

Seriously. A book the size of the Core full of Charms would be ideal. I don't hold with this new-fangled "Too many charms!" mindset. I remember memorizing every hit table for every weapon against every AC in both MERP and Rolemaster. I then remembered every critical hit one. "32 hits and E Crush critical ... on a 94? You caved his head in! Huzzah!"

No books used.

MOAR CHARMS!

...and moar coffee.

Comment

Working...
                                X