Battle Group Generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Group Generator

If you're running a lot of combats involving battle groups, I've created a Javascript Battle Group Generator for that! Select troop type, adjust the Size, Drill, and Might sliders, and you'll get immediate stats.

Let me tell you, Cataphracts are terrifying, especially since they should be Might 2.

Please tell me if I've gotten something wrong, or if there's a troop type you'd like me to add.
    Last edited by Colin_Fredericks; 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM.

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

Originally posted by Colin_Fredericks View Post
    If you're running a lot of combats involving battle groups, I've created a Javascript Battle Group Generator for that! Select troop type, adjust the Size, Drill, and Might sliders, and you'll get immediate stats.

Let me tell you, Cataphracts are terrifying, especially since they should be Might 2.

Please tell me if I've gotten something wrong, or if there's a troop type you'd like me to add.
    Badass

One possible improvement? Add an option for 'custom' that lets people enter values for base attack, defense, etc- which are then adjustable via the size / drill / might sliders.

Also, while the javascript is all presently embedded directly in the page, I'd strongly suggest breaking it into it's own .js file and creating a github repo for it. (Possible two .js files; one for the default troop stats and one for the logic of how they get adjusted)

My Storyteller Vault releases!
    Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
    These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post

Badass

One possible improvement? Add an option for 'custom' that lets people enter values for base attack, defense, etc- which are then adjustable via the size / drill / might sliders.

Also, while the javascript is all presently embedded directly in the page, I'd strongly suggest breaking it into it's own .js file and creating a github repo for it. (Possible two .js files; one for the default troop stats and one for the logic of how they get adjusted)

Bam! Done.

New link for the generator at GitHub: https://colin-fredericks.github.io/ex3-battle-groups/

Here's the repository: https://github.com/Colin-Fredericks/ex3-battle-groups

Adding the "custom" value will take a little time and I'm in the middle of a conference, so I'll get to that later. Good suggestion.

Comment

Love it. Simple and quick.

He/him

Comment

This is AWESOME!

I tend to use battle groups in almost every combat, because I'd rather run 1-2 interesting NPCs and their troops than 5 NPCs (that gets too complicated).

So this is really, really useful for me. Thankyou so much.

I play...
          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Hmmm... shouldn't a Size 1 Battle Group of humans have Magnitude 8?

I play...
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              This is AWESOME!

I tend to use battle groups in almost every combat, because I'd rather run 1-2 interesting NPCs and their troops than 5 NPCs (that gets too complicated).

So this is really, really useful for me. Thankyou so much.
              I'm so glad! You're welcome.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              Hmmm... shouldn't a Size 1 Battle Group of humans have Magnitude 8?
              I'm not certain. I counted only the health levels other than Incapacitated and Uninjured when I made this, treating those more like statuses than actual health levels. That gives humans 6. If those two count, they'd have eight. Wait, why am I trying to guess? Let me check the book.

(reads the book)

Ah - page 208 says "usually seven", and on 173 "INC" is shown on the health track, so Incap is indeed a health level. Easy fix, should be correct now.

Also: Added the custom armies feature! Put in the values you want and it'll apply Size, Drill and Magnitude to them. They're the top option on the list.

Also: Someone at RPG.net asked for a "printable" version. Just click the button to get it. It basically turns off everything but the stats and clears the background colors. You can click "Back to Regular Version" to get back, and that button should not show up if you print.

Also: Split the armies out into their own .js file to make it easier to edit.

Comment

Praise be! This is amazeballs!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Great work, thanks a ton!

(Btw, good first name, fellow Colin here, lol)

Comment

I'm slightly surprised that conscripts have a better attack than battle ready troops, is that intentional?

Also, in BattleGroupCalc.js, you seem to have 2 copies of the getStats function (at lines 28 and 150)
                    Last edited by sigfriedmcwild; 04-29-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

If you're looking to add any more units, I'd recommend greenmaws. They make very good bgs because of their large amount of health levels, and they, like Blood Apes, are the standard combat monster summoned by a spell.

I play...

Comment

Holy crap WHERE WAS THIS MY ENTIRE GAME?!

Eh, I'll keep it on hand. When I run my DB game, I'm sure someone will need quick stats for their Size 3 army of Legion Troops.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Neat. Are you open to pull requests? I'd like to add the multiple attacks that many units have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketrus View Post
                            Neat. Are you open to pull requests? I'd like to add the multiple attacks that many units have.
                            Sure! That's one of the things that I decided was too complex for the initial build, but I'd be glad to have it in the system.

This will be my first time handling a pull request, so if I accidentally turn it down somehow, know that it's not intentional. I'm still a bit of a novice with GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by sigfriedmcwild View Post
                              I'm slightly surprised that conscripts have a better attack than battle ready troops, is that intentional?

Also, in BattleGroupCalc.js, you seem to have 2 copies of the getStats function (at lines 28 and 150)
                              Nope, that's a typo. Fixed.

The getStats duplication was because I was going to do something else with it for custom troops, but found a better way and then forgot to erase the duplicate. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X