Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOR SCIENCE! We gave an Exaltation to Ms. Pac-Man...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR SCIENCE! We gave an Exaltation to Ms. Pac-Man...

The results were, err...

This Exalted martial art style is totally unofficial, non-canon, written entirely for the amusement of the writer. We thought it would be funny to pass it around.

Tie the Bow
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Simple
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One scene
    Prerequisite Charms: None
    The karateka ties a big pink bow into her hair, binding her Essence into her cranial chakra and causing her Essence to race upward. Lowering her head to lean into a dash causes all of her rush actions to automatically succeed. However, she can no longer disengage. Every time she moves toward an opponent, she gains (Essence) Initiative.

Initiative-Gobbling Strike
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Withering-only
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite: Tie the Bow
    The karateka's sacral chakra demands sustenance! This withering attack rolls dice again for all 9s and 10s.

Steal the Fruit
    Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Decisive-only
    Prerequisite Charms: Initiative-Gobbling Strike
    The karateka strikes a lunging blow with all her force to the target's family jewels (or closest approximation). This is a difficulty 3 decisive gambit with double 10s on the Initiative roll. If successful, the target cannot move or attack for the next two actions.

Ms. Pac-Man Form
    Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Form
    Prerequisite Charms: Steal the Fruit
    While this form is up, the karateka gains +1 Initiative and +1 Evasion every round she moves toward an opponent. When she lands a strike of any kind, she also gains +1 Initiative and +1 Evasion, regardless of whether it does damage. These Evasion bonuses last until she is next attacked. In addition, she can also see into the spirit worlds and may attack spirits while in Ms. Pac-Man Form.

Wokka Wokka Evasion
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
    When the karateka is ahead in Initiative, she can use this Charm to ignore all penalties to her Evasion. If she is in Ms. Pac-Man Form, Wokka Wokka Evasion treats her Initiative as if it were doubled.

Swallow-the-Sun
    Cost: 7m, 3a, 1wp; Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Mute, Perilous
    Duration: Three actions
    Prerequisite Charms: Ms. Pac-Man Form
    The karateka breathes in a gigantic mote of the purest Essence, and is transformed into a living bodhisattva. For the next three rounds, her appearance is magnified and altered by her iconic manifestation. She gains +5 automatic successes to all Presence rolls to terrify her opponents each round. Frightened opponents must run from her, and each time they do she gains +2 Initiative. In addition, she moves two range bands per turn while this Charm is active.

Five Ghost Reaving
    Cost: 8m, 3i, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Withering-only (Special)
    Prerequisite Charms: Swallow-the-Sun
    While using the prerequisite, the karateka may launch a barrage of nigh-unstoppable strikes to decimate her opponent. Each time she successfully lands a withering attack, she can make another. She can continue attacking her target until she misses. These attacks do not incur onslaught penalty, but if she crashes her opponent, damage rolls from Five Ghost Reaving not only drive down their Initiative, but also do health levels of damage.

Ghost Eating Technique
    Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
    Prerequisite Charms: Five Ghost Reaving
    The karateka may cancel Five Ghost Reaving after a successful attack to make an immediate decisive attack with one automatic success and double 10s on the damage roll. If she manages to kill her opponent, be they mortal or ghost, she rips loose their corporeal Essence or soul and draws it into her mouth, devouring it. She may use this to restore five motes, or one Willpower, or two Initiative, or three Health Levels, or three levels of anima banner. Spirits destroyed in this manner are not destroyed forever, as with the Solar Charm Ghost-Eating Technique.

Does one reflexively activate Ms Pac Man Form by paying a silver dinar?

Edit: Because I dunno how else to incorporate paying quarters into an arcade machine
    Last edited by Kyman201; 04-30-2016, 04:42 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Why was this not in the core book?!1!

Comment

My only dissapointment is that I feel it should turn frightened enemies (or their anima banners) blue. That would have been perfect.
        Last edited by nalak42; 04-30-2016, 04:54 AM.

Comment

It's... beautiful. I'm going to have to rewrite my BBEG to use this.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell
          Simple Solar > Abyssal conversion rules
          3e Dragon Kings
          My martial arts

Comment

Hooray! The devs are no longer swamped under work and can now post regularly again (they're relaxed enough to post joke MAs) ! Another thing to thank the official release of Ex3 for.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Originally posted by John Mørke View Post
              The results were, err...

This Exalted martial art style is totally unofficial, non-canon, written entirely for the amusement of the writer. We thought it would be funny to pass it around. [/SIZE]
              We call the shots now.

All for making this style fanon?

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
              Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

The results were, err...

This Exalted martial art style is totally unofficial, non-canon, written entirely for the amusement of the writer. We thought it would be funny to pass it around.

Oh my god this is amazing. Thank you, this made my morning

Comment

Nice, this style is awesome

Comment

Now do Varihued Descent of Foundations.

The Student's Sutra of Compulsion: Once there was a diligent maiden,
                    who sought to construct a wondrous tower,
                    she set the foundations,
                    though her tools defied her,
                    and prepared to raise an edifice towards heaven.
                    But the heaven cursed her in return,
                    for as soon as she had perfected one layer,
                    Saturn made her sign against it,
                    And forced it down again.

The Elder's Sutra of Compulsion: Long she laboured over her arrangement,
                    nights became mornings,
                    and todays became tomorrows.
                    Finally she realized the only way to win the game
                    and cast it aside.
                    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 04-30-2016, 07:07 AM.

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War, First Draft pdf<NEW

Comment

Good fun! It probably says something (bad) about me that I find these insanely more readable than most other mechanics I've read for Exalted for a while. "You can be a hero, shining with potential, the sun on your brow!"... (silence)... "Or you can emulate a manic pill chomping head with stumpy legs...?" "Where do I sign?!?!".

Comment

Activate Far Too Serious Appraisal!

So, first, a general comment- when you create Martial Arts style, don't forget that you need to specify the Form weapons and armor.
                        In this case, I'd suggest unarmed and unarmored only.

Tie the Bow
                        Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Simple
                        Prerequisite Charms: None
                        The karateka ties a big pink bow into her hair, binding her Essence into her cranial chakra and causing her Essence to race upward. Lowering her head to lean into a dash causes all of her rush actions to automatically succeed. However, she can no longer disengage. Every time she moves toward an opponent, she gains (Essence) Initiative.
                        First, nice use of karateka.

However, 'cause rush actions to automatically succeed' is a little ambigious, since Rush is contested. Does this Essence 1, no pre-reqs martial arts charm really just outright beat any amount of help-to-disengage charms? That seems a little contra to Ex3's design philosophies. And the 'cannot disengage' weakness isn't really that bad, since you can always reflexively drop the charm if you need to run.

Initiative-Gobbling Strike
                        Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Simple
                        Keywords: Withering-only
                        Prerequisite: Tie the Bow
                        The karateka's sacral chakra demands sustenance! This withering attack rolls dice again for all 9s and 10s.
                        This should be Supplemental rather than Simple.
                        As to the effect itself- it's probably fine, but it seems little 'win-more', since it's going to be most effective when you are already rolling a signficant amount of post-soak damage. But it's cheap, so that's probably fine.

Steal the Fruit
                        Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2; Type: Simple
                        The karateka strikes a lunging blow with all her force to the target's family jewels (or closest approximation). This is a difficulty 3 decisive gambit with double 10s on the Initiative roll. If successful, the target cannot move or attack for the next two actions.
                        Ouch >< On the one hand, that's a pretty stiff penalty- the action economy is crucial. On the other hand- they can't move or attack. Can they activate Simple Charms? Defend Other? Can they use charms which move them?
                        I kind of get what the charm is going for, but the language should get tightened up some.
                        On the Other other hand, I really don't want to be hit with this charm, ever, end of story.

Ms. Pac-Man Form
                        Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple
                        Keywords: Form
                        Prerequisite Charms: Steal the Fruit
                        While this form is up, the karateka gains +1 Initiative and +1 Evasion every round she moves toward an opponent. When she lands a strike of any kind, she also gains +1 Initiative and +1 Evasion, regardless of whether it does damage. These Evasion bonuses last until she is next attacked. In addition, she can also see into the spirit worlds and may attack spirits while in Ms. Pac-Man Form.
                        So, first, all the martial arts styles we've seen have had a reflexive activation condition- unless you intend that to be a specific weakness, I'd try and add one in. Also, that willpower cost on the form is kind of weird- I don't think any Forms have anything like that now. I'd drop that in favor of bumping the form to 8m- that'll also help it synergize with other martial arts forms. For an activation condition, maybe by gaining a certain amount of initaitive in a single turn? That would fit with Initiative-Gobling Strike and Tie The Bow.
                        The Form bonuses seem reasonably solid- but man, seeing and attacking spirits just kind of comes out of nowhere.

Wokka Wokka Evasion
                        Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
                        When the karateka is ahead in Initiative, she can use this Charm to ignore all penalties to her Evasion. If she is in Ms. Pac-Man Form, Wokka Wokka Evasion treats her Initiative as if it were doubled.
                        A conditional Shadow Over Water doesn't need to be twice as expensive. You could bump this down to 2m and it'd be fine- especially since, because it's Evasion, it implies you're having to buy up a second combat ability (instead of removing penalties to your Martial Arts parry).
                        Also, formatting note, this should either appear before the form, since it has a lower minimum Essence. It should also probably be a pre-req for the Form, rather than this weirdly floating off on it's own thing charm- but then the Form is getting pretty deep.

Swallow-the-Sun
                        Cost: 7m, 3a, 1wp; Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
                        Keywords: Mute, Perilous
                        Duration: Three actions
                        Prerequisite Charms: Ms. Pac-Man Form
                        The karateka breathes in a gigantic mote of the purest Essence, and is transformed into a living bodhisattva. For the next three rounds, her appearance is magnified and altered by her iconic manifestation. She gains +5 automatic successes to all Presence rolls to terrify her opponents each round. Frightened opponents must run from her, and each time they do she gains +2 Initiative. In addition, she moves two range bands per turn while this Charm is active.
                        First, formatting note: I think the preferred duration would be 'Three turns' now, rather than 'Three actions'.
                        Is an opponent frightened (Ie, do you get the initaitve bonus) if they spend a willpower to resist the inspire terror? Also, this feels like it wants some specific guidelines for how it interacts with Battle groups- kind of like White Reaper, it feels like it should absolutely ruin them.
                        All in all, very nice- the anima and willpower cost will keep you from using this probably more than three or four times in a fight. I'm a little leery of the 'move two range bands per turn' bit- but I think I'd have to see it play out to decide if that's just me being paranoid or not.

Five Ghost Reaving
                        Cost: 8m, 3i, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
                        Keywords: Withering-only (Special)
                        Prerequisite Charms: Swallow-the-Sun
                        While using the prerequisite, the karateka may launch a barrage of nigh-unstoppable strikes to decimate her opponent. Each time she successfully lands a withering attack, she can make another. She can continue attacking her target until she misses. These attacks do not incur onslaught penalty, but if she crashes her opponent, damage rolls from Five Ghost Reaving not only drive down their Initiative, but also do health levels of damage.
                        O.O Holy crap.
                        I mean- on the one hand, jesus, pummel party someone to death just straight *up* cold.
                        On the other hand... you're down at least 15m and 2wp. Presumably each attack would have to be enhanced by it's own excellency- so you're looking at a minimum of 35m burned in one action to make two attacks against a comparable opponent, and risk them shutting the whole thing down with a Seven Shadows Evasion defense.
                        I *think* this is actually alright- it looks scary and intimidating as hell, and in the right circumstance it would be ruinious- but that requires some forethought and sneakery, which is a good thing to encourage.

Ghost Eating Technique
                        Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
                        Prerequisite Charms: Five Ghost Reaving
                        The karateka may cancel Five Ghost Reaving after a successful attack to make an immediate decisive attack with one automatic success and double 10s on the damage roll. If she manages to kill her opponent, be they mortal or ghost, she rips loose their corporeal Essence or soul and draws it into her mouth, devouring it. She may use this to restore five motes, or one Willpower, or two Initiative, or three Health Levels, or three levels of anima banner. Spirits destroyed in this manner are not destroyed forever, as with the Solar Charm Ghost-Eating Technique.
                        Man, if the charm isn't going to destroy spirits forever, don't name it ghost eating technique ><

That said- I don't think I'd use this very often, personally, and if I did, it would almost always only be for the health levels or *maybe* the Willpower- but given that this costs a Willpower to use, eh. 'Restoring' levels of anima is an interesting space to explore, but I don't think this is the charm to do it in- you're going to be flaring so hard from FGR and excellency burning that I suspect keeping your anima up for StS is going to be trivial. And that initiative gain is just paltry- and raises questions of how it interacts with your successful decisive attack resetting to base! I mean, if I were running the fight, I'd say it's added *after* reset, because otherwise it's just a waste.

I dunno- this feels like a bit of a let down after FGR. At the very least, I'd dump the Willpower cost.

Overall: An interesting style- there's a couple of technical problems, and the theme is kind of muddled tho. Apart from the Form, there's not really any special advantage to fighting spirits or ghosts with it,despite the high end charm names, and the charms themselves suddenly take a veer from 'General improved competency' to 'Holy WTF God-Monster'. Maybe that's what you're going for?

Also, was the omission of the Mastery and Terrestrial keywords intentional? Is this meant to be a Dragon-blooded specific style? Cause it has a lot of Solar/Abyssal thematics in that case...

I'd be interested to see where you go with this though! Let us know if you use it in play and how it works!

Last edited by wastevens; 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM.

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led

Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

The fact that this style lacks Mastery effects gives the lie to the notion that Solars are masters of martial arts!

But no this is great. I remember I was considering trying to do a Mario style at one point, but I decided that Mario worked better as an Exigent.

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
                            Activate Far Too Serious Appraisal!

Also, was the omission of the Mastery and Terrestrial keywords intentional? Is this meant to be a Dragon-blooded specific style? Cause it has a lot of Solar/Abyssal thematics in that case...
                            Originally posted by Gayo View Post
                            The fact that this style lacks Mastery effects gives the lie to the notion that Solars are masters of martial arts!
                            It's the first of the Exigent MA styles which has be foretold by the forums! The End of Solar Supremacy is Nigh!

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Gayo View Post
                              I was struggling to find the right complaint, but you really nailed it here.

Comment

Working...
                              X