Thought about Arms of the Chosen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought about Arms of the Chosen

It occurred to me today, when reflecting upon the echo-chamber effect of the forums, that I'm not sure if it was ever explicitly stated that Arms of the Chosen will have descriptive rules for how to make your own artifacts and evocations. We've all been assuming that the book will give us some guidelines, but it's possible that this was just extrapolated from "there will be more listed artifacts that you can use as examples to figure out your own". The latter option is still valid, but no where near as useful as "a definitive how-to guide for making your own artifacts in your games".

And example is the Exigent book. We've been explicitly told that we will get rules (a charm matrix is the term they used, like a template) for how to make our own Exigents, not just examples to extrapolate from. That's what I want for artifacts. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but has anyone seen a direct quote as some point to clear this up, or is it possible I'm on to something here?

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

I can't recall the source, but I think it was explicitly stated that Arms won't have those rules. Makes sense, it's slated as a small supplement, but damn: it's not doing much to sell me. As someone not confident with homebrew, those would have been VERY nice.

Comment

I mean, I can't envision it taking more than maybe 10 pages, including context and flavor. They're not as big as charm trees, and I imagine it'll be more like guidelines than a structured ruleset, but yeah it would be really nice to have.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

IDK: I'd want somthing with some depth at least. 'Eyeball it' doesn't really help me. That's the approach I'm taking currently, and... I really have no idea how strong what I'm considering would be. Mostly I'm just taking existing Solar charms and twisting them a bit, which... honestly feels off to me..

Comment

More than anything, I'd just like clarification on whether it's happening or not. It might have just been me, but I was under a strong assumption that the book would support rules for that. That could easily be echo-chamber and extrapolation, but I'd have to be disappointed when the book comes out if I was expecting something else. I can live with just a big book of artifacts (especially if there's like a lot of them), but I don't want to expect creation rules to find no creation rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post
            I can't recall the source, but I think it was explicitly stated that Arms won't have those rules. Makes sense, it's slated as a small supplement, but damn: it's not doing much to sell me. As someone not confident with homebrew, those would have been VERY nice.
            I always hated the 'vague guidelines' approach, mainly because it does alot to marginalize those of us who do not excel at mechanic-related homebrew. It also means arguments among my players over what fits the vague criteria. (Gods save me from the 2ed artifact level descriptions)

Comment

Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
              I always hated the 'vague guidelines' approach, mainly because it does a lot to marginalize those of us who do not excel at mechanic-related homebrew.
              Would you rather have vague guidelines or no guidelines and have to peel it apart from examples? Honest question, just judging.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Would you rather have vague guidelines or no guidelines and have to peel it apart from examples? Honest question, just judging.
                Vague guidelines have the virtue of still being some form of guideline. Honestly I would be profoundly disappointed with just examples since I would gladly pay for any clarification to work with.

Comment

I'm a little mixed, because I do rather want to see the dev's take on Warstriders. (Assuming they're not gated behind Artifact N/A) and I can accept that Arms was slated as a short PDF suppliment. I get not including rules, kinda....

But honestly, I'd have preferred Evocation guidelines over more example artifacts. Exalted's not D&D, I don't play this game for looting! A very large number of my characters are envisoned with a panoply, and it'd b great to have some kind of workable rules I can use to create that weapon.

And yes, there's always the 'don't pick Evocations' option, but that falls apart when your fellow players feel differently and are willing to use canon artifacts. Why should my solar's blade be inferior to my circlemates just because she picked Volcano Cutter and I wanted a specific custom weapon?

Comment

We already got vague guidelines in the Core, under the magical materials.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      We already got vague guidelines in the Core, under the magical materials.
                      Eh. Those are guidelines for what a given material should be able to do, and what sort of effects IIRC. I found that... not much help in writing Charms. I know I want my White Jade daiklave to knock people back, but... that's all I know. And that goes double if you want an artifact weapon that's not made of one of the main Magical Materials, like Gossamer, or some kind of frozen lightning, or Malfean Iron, or....

(Actually, has Ex3 explicitly said that only the 5MM work for artifacts? May need to go check that.)

Comment

We'll probably have to wait until the dragon blooded book to get any clear indication what form their claim to "second best at evocations after solars" takes, at least.

(Actually, has Ex3 explicitly said that only the 5MM work for artifacts? May need to go check that.)
                        It's pretty much explicitly said the exact opposite.

Comment

I'm a little mixed, because I do rather want to see the dev's take on Warstriders. (Assuming they're not gated behind Artifact N/A) and I can accept that Arms was slated as a short PDF suppliment. I get not including rules, kinda....

But honestly, I'd have preferred Evocation guidelines over more example artifacts. Exalted's not D&D, I don't play this game for looting! A very large number of my characters are envisoned with a panoply, and it'd b great to have some kind of workable rules I can use to create that weapon.

And yes, there's always the 'don't pick Evocations' option, but that falls apart when your fellow players feel differently and are willing to use canon artifacts. Why should my solar's blade be inferior to my circlemates just because she picked Volcano Cutter and I wanted a specific custom weapon?
                          Funny thing, I love looting in Exalted but more panoply is usually a distant second to those sweet aqueduct blueprints or that cure to the flu...
                          Seriously though I agree, while I can use the forum homebrews with limited competency it would be easier to have something more solid to work with.
                          Also there is vague guidelines and then there are 'jade is elemental' which is simple to deduce on not helpful on the mechanical side which is what I personally struggle with.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            We'll probably have to wait until the dragon blooded book to get any clear indication what form their claim to "second best at evocations after solars" takes, at least.
                            I'm not convinced of that. I would be very let down if the Arms of the Chosen book only detailed artifacts for Solars. I imagine a lot MORE Solar ones, but I'd expect to see artifacts useable by Sidereals, Dragon-Blooded, Lunars, Abyssals, and possibly Liminals in there, since they were noted in the core. I bet we'll never see Exigent examples since they aren't a dedicated power tier, so each one will access them differently, as needed by the GM/player creating them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

I'm not convinced of that. I would be very let down if the Arms of the Chosen book only detailed artifacts for Solars. I imagine a lot MORE Solar ones, but I'd expect to see artifacts useable by Sidereals, Dragon-Blooded, Lunars, Abyssals, and possibly Liminals in there, since they were noted in the core. I bet we'll never see Exigent examples since they aren't a dedicated power tier, so each one will access them differently, as needed by the GM/player creating them.
                              If it was just Solars I am pretty sure that it would be called Arms of the Solars, Arms of the Chosen implies at least most exalts unless they have been stripped of the title of Chosen.
                              It could also turn out to be an exercise book for Solars who want to really develop their bisceps...

Comment

Working...
                              X