Thought about Arms of the Chosen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
    I... don't think I suggested it was a requirement for five-dot artifacts? I respect the argument that the material is sort of an arbitrary "makes things better" metal with no mechanical expression, but narratively my brain can understand it and apply it appropriately. By no means do I think a five-dot artifact requires orichalcum to work or even to be awesome. Hell, there's Black Wind which doesn't have any Orichalcum in it, and it's a five-dot artifact. I think the point is how expressive that power is. Again, I agree this is largely narrative and probably going to change from person to person via opinion. But I don't find the material meaningless personally.
    Sorry, perhaps what I should have said was

"from a certain point of view, unnecessary."

I don't feel it is completely without narrative meaning or point, but I don't really think orichalcum was a necessary addition to Volcano Cutter in the way that it would have been for a sorcerous phylatery which is otherwise largely a moonsilver shapeshifting sword. Orichalcum is unique in being the "sorcery metal", whereas jade doesn't need any help in terms of elemental magic.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

That question concerning Artifact cosmetics makes me wonder...

Considering that Artifacts (or at least weapons) aren't made from pure magical materials as a matter of course anyway (it's always some kind of steel), as well as the description of orichalcum as the most versatile material, if I'm remembering properly, and the fact that there are gold alloys (which typically consist of more than 60% gold) in basically every colour, how outlandish is the idea that an orichalcum Artifact could have basically any colour one wanted?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        That question concerning Artifact cosmetics makes me wonder...

Considering that Artifacts (or at least weapons) aren't made from pure magical materials as a matter of course anyway (it's always some kind of steel), as well as the description of orichalcum as the most versatile material, if I'm remembering properly, and the fact that there are gold alloys (which typically consist of more than 60% gold) in basically every colour, how outlandish is the idea that an orichalcum Artifact could have basically any colour one wanted?
        *Twilight designs a golden suit of armour for her Dawn Circlemate*
        Dawn: Little ostentatious don't you think?
        Twilight: What was I thinking, you're usually so discrete.
        Dawn: Tell you what, throw a little hot-rod red in there.
        Twilight: Yes, that should help you keep a low profile.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Having just finished listening to the podcast interview with John and Holden, it appears that Arms of the Chosen WILL have "more guidance and support for homebrewers than possibly any supplement ever before in Exalted" if I'm quoting that correctly. No idea what extent that is, but that's a very different direction than has been suggested earlier in this thread. So yay!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

correct indeed, I remember the podcast, from my understanding they are going to explain how they make evocations, artifacts and probably even charms, since it looks like the backer charms are rolled into arms of the chosen book.

Comment

Originally posted by Eltacolibre View Post
              ...since it looks like the backer charms are rolled into arms of the chosen book.
              I didn't get that last bit out of what they said, at all. I believe it's still a separate file. I could be wrong though.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Eh. I'm waiting to see just what this counts as. With a statememnt that generic... well, if we do get advice, I'll be happy, but ATM, I'm expecting your guide to be more useful, Unsung.

Comment

Having just finished listening to the podcast interview with John and Holden, it appears that Arms of the Chosen WILL have "more guidance and support for homebrewers than possibly any supplement ever before in Exalted" if I'm quoting that correctly. No idea what extent that is, but that's a very different direction than has been suggested earlier in this thread. So yay!

I to just got done listening to the Podcast, killing time during the bus ride my Sociology final, and immediately though of you when the Devs made that statement about Arms of the Chosen. I'm so glad we are getting more help. I want to say that your tutorial is immensely helpful, however I am very glad we are getting more guidelines for homebrew of Artifacts and Evocations in Arms.

May you live in interesting times...

Storyteller of Sun Forged Oath

Comment

Yaaay! /kermit

Or rather: curse you OP for taking more of my hard earned cash! *shakes fist*

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      Yaaay! /kermit

Or rather: curse you OP for taking more of my hard earned cash! *shakes fist*
                      Wow... that didn't age well did it.

Comment

• Yeah, Arms is a great book, but not for that.

To be fair, it was two years before; a lot can change in that time.

Also, tbh, I think Holden and Morke sometimes rather exaggerated what they'd be able to produce.

My characters:
                        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          Also, tbh, I think Holden and Morke sometimes rather exaggerated what they'd be able to produce.
                          Exaggerated or over-estimated? There's a difference.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• A fair point, and I don't know.
                            Certainly, I think they tried their best to, say, produce martial arts techniques, but found it didn't work. And I could well see that you'd go "oh, we'll put in loads of advice for making evocations in Arms of the Chosen" and then not really be able to.* I know this is why they changed the evocation system a couple of times.
                            *Though this may also have been a decision by the new Devs.

And certainly, I'm sure they didn't know it would take them so long to produce that massive Core Book. That was probably an issue with neither of them having developed a book before, only having worked as writers. So probably over-estimation.

But they did have a habit (Morke more than Holden) of replying to every query about whether there'd be much material on such-and-such with the response of "yeah, we're going to do it really well, you'll be amazed by how brilliant it is" which left me thinking that it was entirely unrealistic for any writer to do all the things they claimed they'd do. Whereas Vance sometimes replies with "yeah, we don't have any plans to do that for now, sorry" and if you listen to Minton's podcast interviews, he, to my surprise, doesn't tend to say "this work I did was amazing and you should all buy it" or "we're next going to make this amazing and brilliant thing."

Maybe this was Holden and Vance just being supremely over-confident. But, as I said, I did find some of the stuff they claimed they'd do a little unbelievable.

My characters:
                            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Well, since we just go into this well of necromancy, what would be you people's assessment of the end product?
                              What did it deliver, where did it fail to reach its promise, etc...
                              Getting a bit of a late post-fact analysis would be nice, i guess.

Comment

• I think it's an extremely good book, mechanically and in fluff, of weapons, armour, warstriders, and a few other bits and bobs. There's some really cool items in there. I love the mace with a necromancer who lives inside, the sword which is also a weaving distaff, the Evagelion-Warstrider, the sword with a slowly waking demon eye that petrifies people, etc, etc, etc.

It was also a big improvement from the Core in the art. The art is way better in Arms, and I imagine the response to that is why the artists who worked on it have been used again, whereas quite a lot of those in the Core book have not (I think some have).

However... as an early game supplement, I didn't find it all that useful. At that point, all I had was the Core (and Miracles)... yes, it was nice to have a few extra options for my Solar PCs, but what I really needed was rules for non-Solar NPCs. It's the lack of those that was one reason I stopped running 3rd ed. In fact, I think, despite how much I think some of the stuff in Arms is cool, only two artefacts from it has actually been used by any of us (I made a warstrider pilot, and the Wyld Hunt used a Warstrider) and both have only ever been used in one fight each.

I know that 2nd ed did the same, with Wonders of the Lost Age as one of the first books, and then another artefact book not all that long afterwards, which I assume was why they did that first. (And I also don't criticise Vance and Minton for this, as I think it had already been planned and started when they took over). But honestly, I'd rather that, having produced the Core, they'd have then just got straight on with Dragonblood.

Now that I have Dragonblood and Lunars, the two things I most desperately needed, I think I might be able to get some use out of Arms. I'm going to give some antagonists some of the artefacts (but I wouldn't have been able to do that when it came out, as there weren't really any rules for their ordinary charms). I'd still swap it for a sorcery book, or finished editions of Adversaries+Hundred Devils, or a third splat-book (that's not Abyssals).

But as negative as that sounds, I think it is actually a very good book.

My characters:

Comment

Working...
                                X