A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steamfunk View Post
    I was hype for war and wasn't disappointed. I'm glad you're going to continue working on it. I actually have a game in the next couple of months that is going to use Sail and some other less common charm trees and will have some Dragon-Blooded NPCs in it. I can test them out and let you know how it goes.
    Thanks, I'm always on the lookout for feedback on how the Charms function.

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
    So...being unfamilar w/earlier dragonblood animas, what passive effects due they tend to have? I saw one war charm reference fire aspects being resistant to fire damage and water aspect being able to breathe underwater. What about the other 3?
    I'm still working on the animas, but they will all have one passive effect, one active effect, and a bonus to their anima flux. Earth gets Resistance dice based on current anima level, Air gets resistance to cold and lightning. Wood is the one I have yet to come up with something satisfactory for.
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 03-18-2017, 04:26 PM.

A Clutch of Dragons: First Draft pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
      Wood is the one I have yet to come up with something satisfactory for.
      Maybe something about moving through difficult terrain that's primarily vegetative?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
        Maybe something about moving through difficult terrain that's primarily vegetative?
        That sounds pretty good, I'll add it to the notes.

I'm sure I discarded something similar, but I can't currently think of why. There's a potential kiting concern, that might have been it.

Comment

• So my player who was going to play a Dragon-Blooded settled on a Solar instead, but I'm in the process of statting up some Wyld Hunters and like antagonists, so I'll give initial impressions here as I browse, and proper feedback once the Charms get used in play. (Which might be a while -- they got a tip-off about the incoming Hunt thanks to Gold Faction contacts, so the PCs will probably do Clever Stuff of some description to buy some time, get better prepared.)

This is all a tad stream-of-consciousness, so I do apologize if I'm not making sense.

First pass, browsing while statting up the Roseblack:
          • A condensed version of the generic "oh my god neat" comments: Boughs of Fleeting Springtime, Warden's Merciful Arrow, Incipient Violence Understanding, As The Ivy Blossoms, Heart-Warming Revelry Attitude, Victorious Dragon Pennant, and Burnt Secrets Seal are all hella cool
          • Like the whole Fire Archery section: Oh hell yes Firewand charms, oh hell *yes* Righteous Devil Style shikari
            • Dragonfire Crucible Shot seems like a serious bread-and-butter/workhorse Charm of the set, so putting an anima level cost on DCS seems like an interesting choice. I get why you'd do that for the free-reload-on-your-firewand angle -- and I think making it an Anima cost is really neat -- but it seems like putting it on the "and these Charms aren't useless if you don't have a firewand" clause seriously typecasts Fire-based archery. Which may very well be intentional, or maybe the Flame-tag-only Charms are just really frontloaded and most of the set doesn't need DCS to be compatible with other weapon types -- haven't read most of the set yet.
            • Stoking Furnace Trigger also seems like a workhorse -- addressing a major downside of Flame weapons, without just going whole hog and letting you fire at long/extreme -- so I like that it's cheap.
            • I really the thematics of Earth Touches Sky -- the way it encourages patience is very Earth aspect. Potentially adding five whole damage dice to a Decisive attack for cheap-as-chips seems pretty damn good, but honestly if you were able to Aim that Decisive for five whole rounds, you probably deserve them.
            • Putting the Artillery charm in Earth Archery seemed weird at first glance -- shouldn't it be War? -- but I warmed up to the placement after a minute or so of thinking about it.
          • The clause in Feeling the Dragon's Bones et al. about keeping it on indefinitely if you're blind is a very nice touch.
          • I feel like Wind-Lens Optics is a little... off. It seems like it might be better in water -- crystallizing water vapor into a literal lens. I'm not even close to an optics expert, so maybe it does make sense somehow, but lenses work by having a different refractive index than the medium around them, and air has the same refractive index as air -- I learned that in Tautology Club. I dunno, it doesn't feel thematically connected to the element in the same way super-hearing does, and it kind of seems like Comic Book Science even for an Exalted Charm.
          • I have no idea what Paths Gone Elsewhere even does. If there's only one person at Close range and they move away, you can Disengage to move away too, but only if nobody was Close?
          • Integrity has some really cool stuff going on with Sworn Brotherhoods. I especially like Unflagging Vengeance Method and Defense-From-Anathema Method for the Wyld Hunt.
          • Self-Subsuming Disposition has seriously great thematics, but seems likely to frustrate players if used for DB opponents -- Exalted usually has a policy of systematic transparency, so effectively allowing Read Intentions actions that succeed to give false information seems like it kind of breaks the social contract a bit. I have the same problem with the Solar charm in the core that lets you reword your Intimacies when someone reads them.
          • Craft Icon is a really boring name for a really neat Charm.
          • So I'm running into a problem where my wish-list for the War Charms for the Roseblack is just the complete list of War Charms. That would not be fair to my players, I'll have to trim it down some. Fortunately, Eternal Mountain Shogun Style means she can safely delegate! I really like Eternal Mountain Shogun Style. Gonna start by trimming the Iron Fortress Method subtree -- that feels like it'd work well as a specialty of one of her subordinates.
            • A big part of the reason I'm having this problem is that these Charms do a really good job of feeling like DB War Charms, and she's the iconic DB general, so all of the DB War thematics also feel like Roseblack thematics. Especially since, as described in Caste Book: Wood (I think), her specialty is not having specialties -- she's the best general in general. This is a long and rambly way of saying that I'll have to spend more time and brainpower to really assess the mechanics, but I feel like you nailed the thematics.
          • Wood-Aspect War is disappointingly sparse. I feel like there are all sorts of strategic warfare possibilities with regard to e.g. wooded areas -- animating the underbrush to drag enemy solders down, turning trees into fortifications, disengaging and sneaking off into the woods Robin Hood style...
          • So am I just blind or something, or does Wood not get a single Melee charm? I feel like there have to be possibilities there -- envenoming your weapon, binding an enemy blade with oozing sap on a successful parry, causing parasitic flowers to bloom from the wound inflicted by a decisive attack, a parry enhancer that gets more powerful the more Essence the other guy spent (Willow Bows To The Storm?), regaining Initiative by parrying, severing the flow of life essence through an enemy's body as a gambit...

Comment

• So now that this thing is finished, I actually find myself spending an inordinate amount of time on making characters with it.

Would it be useful for anyone if I shared these, as a sort of shared NPC library thing?

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
            Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
              So now that this thing is finished, I actually find myself spending an inordinate amount of time on making characters with it.

Would it be useful for anyone if I shared these, as a sort of shared NPC library thing?

Hell Yes....!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                So now that this thing is finished, I actually find myself spending an inordinate amount of time on making characters with it.

Yes. It would be measurably helpful. It would also be useful to see some of those character in quick character format.

Craft rewrite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudova View Post
                  Yes. It would be measurably helpful. It would also be useful to see some of those character in quick character format.
                  Yeah, my current method is to write them up as near-full characters (I tend to eyeball freebies and just assume they have all merits associated with their social standing for free), pick Charms, then convert to QC format including relevant dice pools and abbreviated Charm writeups. I currently have around 10 of them saved on my hard drive, but I recently had to realize that my familiarity with the material is not deep enough to let me effortlessly build and run higher-Essence characters (even relatively inexperienced Essence 2s give me trouble), and playtesting revealed some of my early efforts to be kinda crappy. (My greatest failure is probably the horse archer whose only Archery Charm consumes anima, but whose only way to build anima is whacking people with a sword.)

Anyways: do you guys think I should create a new thread for the thing (easier to find stuff that way, doesn't interfere with other discussion), or just post characters here (if life interferes with the Great Work, I won't have to live with the undying shame of having created an entire thread for like two or three character writeups)?
                  Last edited by aluminiumtrioxid; 03-24-2017, 01:30 PM.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                  Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• aluminiumtrioxid Create a new thread.

That way its easier for others to add DB builds to it and we can get one central for it (I will for sure later on)

Comment

• I still can't help but notice that we still don't have any notion of what anime powers Dragon Blooded have. Have you got any ideas about that? I came up with a few posibilities for my upcoming game, but haven't had the chance to test anything yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
                        I still can't help but notice that we still don't have any notion of what anime powers Dragon Blooded have. Have you got any ideas about that? I came up with a few posibilities for my upcoming game, but haven't had the chance to test anything yet.
                        The wealth and power of the Realm affords them a life of idle luxury if they so choose. They can pretty much watch all the anime they want.

On an entirely unrelated note, here are their anima powers.

Originally posted by Kerredai View Post
                        So my player who was going to play a Dragon-Blooded settled on a Solar instead, but I'm in the process of statting up some Wyld Hunters and like antagonists, so I'll give initial impressions here as I browse, and proper feedback once the Charms get used in play.
                        I will try to respond back to your individual points later. In the meantime, thank you for the feedback.

Comment

• Hey, I just wanted so say thank you, Crumplepunch, for this homebrew. DBs have always been one of my favorite splats, and your homebrew has let me start running a campaign for me and my wife, her new to roleplaying and me new to 3e.

So you know, thanks.

Also, I think she's gonna be super excited for her anima powers, since you've posted those since we started,

Comment

• Echoing Spacepup, I'm gonna be running a little 1-on-1 thing for my girlfriend soon and she was very happy to have those anima banner powers for her Fire Aspect.

Essence Cultivation is also an awesome mechanic to supplement the need that DBs have for Anima levels to use their charms that feels very in-keeping, and the distinction between the reflexive version and the regular version is great for making it not feel too wimpy. It's a really great addition to the splat.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Between this and Lanaya's Infernals popping up, I need... approximately eighty bazillion games, more or less.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

• Yeah, If I can just find a high-quality Fair Folk conversion, I would be pretty happy until more books come out.

Comment

Working...
                                X