No announcement yet.

New Anathema Character Management - Anathema Reincarnated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very much looking forward to the open beta. I've currently got a spreadsheet that my table uses for character generation but it doesn't lay everything out in a nice character sheet for them. It's super helpful for the character generating for new people but not as much for playing.

I have created a character creation tool. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

• Is this project dead? Given that there haven't been any commits to the repo since December, I'm kinda assuming so, but hoping not.

Comment

• Hmm, yeah, originally something was slated for February, maybe the schedule has slipped somewhat.

Comment

• Delays are not unexpected for hobby projects. I'm still optimistic

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

It's really hard to estimate when a program will be done.

Comment

• Well, Arian was measuring time by Zelda release, so maybe we've just lost the devs to the depths of BoTW, and will just need to wait for them to slay Gannondorf before returning to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacepup View Post
                Well, Arian was measuring time by Zelda release, so maybe we've just lost the devs to the depths of BoTW, and will just need to wait for them to slay Gannondorf before returning to us.
                "Calamity Gannon" this time. But probably yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by kenlon View Post
                  Is this project dead? Given that there haven't been any commits to the repo since December, I'm kinda assuming so, but hoping not.
                  The reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated!

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post

"Calamity Gannon" this time. But probably yes.
                  Achem. Ganon. With one n. In the Zelda fandom, spelling it with two is a keel-haulable offense.

Anyway, in part the real reason for our abscence... was largely our programmer taking a break so as to not burn out, since Anathema has been frustratingly elusive as of late. No worries though, it's still getting made even if it requires motivation with a whip and a chair.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
                  Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

• Originally posted by Arian Dynas View Post
                    No worries though, it's still getting made even if it requires motivation with a whip and a chair.
                    Good! Any HR person worth their salt operates with this principle...

Last edited by Volivat; 03-30-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

The reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated!

Achem. Ganon. With one n. In the Zelda fandom, spelling it with two is a keel-haulable offense.

Anyway, in part the real reason for our abscence... was largely our programmer taking a break so as to not burn out, since Anathema has been frustratingly elusive as of late. No worries though, it's still getting made even if it requires motivation with a whip and a chair.
                      Good to know that you're you're still around. Just finished working on my 4th year programming project, so I know all about burning out. You haven't updated the repositories in a while though, is there any chance of an update there? I would like to go through the code if I ever got the chance. Is the program going to be available for mobile devices, by the way? It'd be handy just to have in your pocket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nilihum View Post

Good to know that you're you're still around. Just finished working on my 4th year programming project, so I know all about burning out. You haven't updated the repositories in a while though, is there any chance of an update there? I would like to go through the code if I ever got the chance. Is the program going to be available for mobile devices, by the way? It'd be handy just to have in your pocket.

Well, I'll ask Kenai about updating the Github. I *do* know he's been wanting to keep most of it under his hat for the time being. Something about not wanting to release it until it's good enough. If nothing else, we're always willing to welcome collaborators, it gets things done quicker, so I can put you into contact with him if you're interested.

As for mobile devices... not yet. If ya read back further in this thread you'll see some comments about us preparing a mobile version as well called "Mote" that will be basically a partial adaptation of some features of the full Anathema Reincarnated desktop edition. It won't have the .Chron editor, for instance.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
                        Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

Well, I'll ask Kenai about updating the Github. I *do* know he's been wanting to keep most of it under his hat for the time being. Something about not wanting to release it until it's good enough. If nothing else, we're always willing to welcome collaborators, it gets things done quicker, so I can put you into contact with him if you're interested.

As for mobile devices... not yet. If ya read back further in this thread you'll see some comments about us preparing a mobile version as well called "Mote" that will be basically a partial adaptation of some features of the full Anathema Reincarnated desktop edition. It won't have the .Chron editor, for instance.
                          People aren't going to want to hear this, but keeping a project locked until it's really ready is a smart idea. You only get to make 1st impression, so make it a good one. After that first stable build, where people can really measure it's value fairly, is when to open it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remulader View Post

People aren't going to want to hear this, but keeping a project locked until it's really ready is a smart idea. You only get to make 1st impression, so make it a good one. After that first stable build, where people can really measure it's value fairly, is when to open it up.
                            Halelujah, someone who understands us! I mean, if I had my way I'd be giving you guys more little tidbits at least, but, well we both know why the Devs didn't release EX3 until it was truly ready.

Originally posted by Volivat View Post

Good! Any HR person worth their salt operates with this principle...

Fun fact, that was my favorite song in that movie, and I was disappointed it wasn't used as a marching song in the Pete Jackson version because, last I checked, Tolkien wrote it.

Comment

• Sam's Troll rhyme will always be my favorite Tolkien song, though Down to Goblin Town and the whip marching song are always close seconds.

I always liked it because it feels like it or something like it could easily be slipped in as a jaunty tune about tricksters and monsters in any game setting.

Also it's got Rob Inglis singing about bones and boners, so that's funny too.

On topic however, once you guys have a release, how is modifications and customization going to be handled? 2e anathema was easy to use, but as someone who doesn't really code I felt like it was pretty well locked down. I always preferred Anathema but I liked how some other options like Ed's Exalted Toolkit had options where you could tweak all the chargen values or add templates using the chargen software itself. It was super helpful to someone like me, because I played primarily in a MUSH that used custom chargen values, so I could just make a template for each splat and use that whenever I wanted to make a new character.

I know that kind of built-in customization is too much to ask for in a new release, but being able to tweak new character BP or being able to change the number of starting favored abilities and other things like that inside the utility instead of editing files would be nice down the road.
                              Last edited by Spacepup; 03-31-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacepup View Post
                                Sam's Troll rhyme will always be my favorite Tolkien song, though Down to Goblin Town and the whip marching song are always close seconds.

I always liked it because it feels like it or something like it could easily be slipped in as a jaunty tune about tricksters and monsters in any game setting.

Also it's got Rob Inglis singing about bones and boners, so that's funny too.

On topic however, once you guys have a release, how is modifications and customization going to be handled? 2e anathema was easy to use, but as someone who doesn't really code I felt like it was pretty well locked down. I always preferred Anathema but I liked how some other options like Ed's Exalted Toolkit had options where you could tweak all the chargen values or add templates using the chargen software itself. It was super helpful to someone like me, because I played primarily in a MUSH that used custom chargen values, so I could just make a template for each splat and use that whenever I wanted to make a new character.

I know that kind of built-in customization is too much to ask for in a new release, but being able to tweak new character BP or being able to change the number of starting favored abilities and other things like that inside the utility instead of editing files would be nice down the road.

Basically, you ever programmed your own macros for an MMORPG? It'll be like that.

Considering Kenai is of the opinion that everyone should learn to code and I'm... not. We split the difference, so basically adding in your own custom content in terms of charms and powers and such will actually be fairly simple and be things like

[Charm] Archery

[remove] 2 [intitative]

[add] 5 [initiative damage] to [target]

We'll write a how to tutorial for people who want to add custom charms and such.

We also plan on supporting it with other splats as they come out. Other than that, pc gen will actually be pretty firmly controlled, but if you want to edit something *post* PC gen you just can say whatever like "Add 50 EXP" since we *are* mostly looking to support the base-rules, while leaving space open for some customization. Sorry in advance to some people if you don't care for that, but there'll be some space to implement your houserules if you want to jigger the system around after you've finalized a generated PC, or, even if you feel like going in and re-writing some code on your own (assuming you've the chops) to implement them yourself. Kenai's made very sure that the code is the best, cleanest he can make it, even if he kind of follows his own rules with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X