Evocations For Spells [Workshop]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evocations For Spells [Workshop]

Some spells or sorcery traditions allow you to make evocations for spells, and I'm really surprised that I haven't seen more community thought on this. This is a thread for us to gather our ideas for evocations for spells. I'll start with a few I had in mind for a crafter/sorcerer.

Invulnerable Skin of Bronze

Eternal Bronze Calculation
    Cost: -; Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: -
    Duration: Indefinite
    Prerequisites: None

The sorceress has donned the mantle of bronze so often that is has become natural to her state of existence. The duration of Invulnerable Skin of Bronze is increased to indefinite, and she no-longer counts as wearing armor while the spell is active. The spell can still be ended via Invincible God-Metal Flash, if this is the case the sorceress may immediately begin recasting Invulnerable Skin of Bronze on her next turn.

Incomparable Body Arsenal

Bronze Juggernaut Framework
    Cost:
    -; Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: -
    Duration: Varies
    Prerequisites: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze

The sorceress has learned to build on her earlier framework of Bronze, and thus strengthen her future efforts. This evocation enhances Unstoppable Juggernaut Endurance, when she activates the power, the the duration of Incomparable Body Arsenal is set to the same duration as Invulnerable Skin of Bronze. She no longer counts as armored for the purposes of Invulnerable Skin of Bronze's control effect, and she loses any mobility penalty from wearing artifact armor created by Incomparable Body Arsenal. If Invulnerable Skin of Bronze is ended so is Incomparable Body Arsenal. This evocation only functions when Invulnerable Skin of Bronze is already in effect.

Last edited by Ramaloke; 05-09-2016, 11:14 AM.

I dunno about these. I'd rather see Evocations add interesting effects than see them remove the drawbacks of the spells they enhance. Removing drawbacks feels a little flavourless, you know?

Anyway, I'd like to see some Incomparable Body Arsenal Evocations that encourage manifesting multiple artifact-level weapons. Maybe reduce the cost a bit, maybe grant a multi-attack that uses each weapon once.

Comment

I just thought it was annoying that its a 24 hour duration on Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, and further that the control benefits dont apply when you also have Incomparable Body Arsenal. The two are so close to each other that anybody who wants the first as their control spell is going to look at the second the moment they hit celestial circle sorcery and say "Man this fits right in with my other control spell but they dont actually mesh too well," or further that you cant combine Invulnerable Skin of Bronze with some MA (and there are artifact armors that dont count as armor, which seemed a natural extension of a spell which provides an /alternative/ to armor but for whatever reason still counts as armor).

Comment

This is a good idea for a topic. I actually made an entire tree for Wood Dragon's Claws. I'm not sure if the tree is overpowered (at least the Bankai is), underpowered (probably), or just fine (ha ha). Please let me know. I also hope it gives people some inspiration for their own stuff.
        Wood Dragon's Claws Evocations

The Living Well
        Cost: - Mins: Essence 1
        Keywords: None
        Duration: Variable
        Prerequisite Charms: none

The Wood Dragon is a wellspring of living essence. The Wood Dragon's Claws can store up to 10 motes of essence inside them. This external essence pool starts off empty. It can only be filled using the evocations of the Wood dragon's claws that steal essence from opponents. The essence stored can only be used for the Wood Dragon's Claws' evocations, Bramble Hell Torment and Living Thorn Transformation. The claws always have this power as long as it is a control spell though most sorcerers never realize this. The motes in this pool fade at the rate of one mote per hour and are lost if Wood Dragon's Claws is disrupted or dismissed.

Drawing from the Enemy's Pain
        Cost: 1wp, 2i Mins: Essence 1
        Type: Supplemental
        Keywords: Decisive-only
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisite Charms: The Living Well

The Wood Dragon draws power from his enemy's pain for only with pain do you know you are alive. When the wielder of Wood Dragon's Claws makes a Decisive attack they may pay one willpower and two initiative to activate this charm. If the attack does damage and increases the enemy's wound penalty then the Living Well gains a number of motes equal to the new wound penalty. If an enemy is incapacitated by this attack then add five motes to the Living Well. This evocation cannot be used in conjunction with Drawing from the Enemy's Power.
        For example; The Solar exalted Dramatic Irony attacks an opponent with Wood Dragon's Claws. Before the player rolls they must pay a willpower and activate the charm. If Dramatic Irony doesn't hit his opponent then nothing happens and the charm is wasted. If he does hit but doesn't do enough damage to raise the enemy's wound penalty then nothing happens and the charm is wasted. If he hit and raises the wound penalty from say; 0 to -2, then the Living Well would gain 2 motes.

Special Activation Rules: This Evocation cannot be purchased with experience. It awakens automatically after the wielder of Wood Dragon's Claws kills an enemy that is stronger (both Strength and Stamina) than them in single combat.

Drawing from the Enemy's Power
        Cost: 1wp, 2i Mins: Essence 1
        Type: Supplemental
        Prerequisite Charms: The Living Well

The living essence pervades all things. If it is available to an enemy then it is available to the Wood Dragon. The wielder of Wood Dragon's Claws makes a Decisive gambit and they pay one willpower and two initiative to activate this charm. If the attack is successful then the wielder rolls their (Essence + Willpower) against the enemy's Resolve. This charm drains one mote of essence from the enemy's essence pool for every success that exceeds the enemy's Resolve. Any successes after all the enemy's essence is drained are lost. For every two motes drained one mote is added to the Living Well. This evocation cannot be used in conjunction with Drawing from the Enemy's Pain.

Special Activation Rules: This Evocation cannot be purchased with experience. It awakens automatically after the wielder of Wood Dragon's Claws kills an enemy of a higher Essence level in single combat.

Wood Dragon's Guard
        Cost: 1m Mins: Essence 1
        Type: Reflexive
        Duration: One Turn
        Prerequisite Charms: Drawing from the Enemy's Pain, Drawing from the Enemy's Power

The Wood Dragon's Claws can stop an attack with the power of the Great Dragon. The wielder can use this evocation to increase the defense of the Wood Dragon's Claws by two for one turn.

Armor of Thorns
        Cost: 4m (1lhl) Mins: Essence 2
        Keywords: Counterattack, Withering-only
        Prerequisite Charms: Wood Dragon's Guard, Bramble Hell Torment

The Wood Dragon's Claws protect the wielder by sending out thorns from the Exalt's body. When an opponent successfully attacks the Exalt with any kind of a close-range attack, even one that does no damage, this evocation allows the Exalt to roll their (Essence). They then apply any successes as Withering damage.

Special Activation Rules: A sorcerer may unlock this evocation by either being Exalted and purchasing it with xp or by blocking an attack that still knocks them back at least two range bands. If the wielder is not Exalted then they must pay an additional one lethal health level to use this evocation.

Flowing Thorn Reformation
        Cost: 10m, 1wp (1 lhl) Mins: Essence 2
        Type: Simple
        Keywords: none
        Prerequisite Charms: Wood Dragon's Guard, Living Thorn Transformation

This evocation improves Living Thorn Transformation allowing the Exalt to change the nature of Wood Dragon's Claws at will. Once per turn the wielder can add and/or remove up to (Essence) tags to/from Wood Dragon's Claws. In addition, the Exalt may rearrange up to (Essence/2 rounded up) points of Accuracy and Damage for the Claws.

Special Activation Rules: A sorcerer may unlock this evocation by either being Exalted and purchasing it with xp or by using Wood Dragon's Claws to perform a gambit at at least one range band away. If the wielder is not Exalted then they must pay an additional one lethal health level to use this evocation.

Becoming the Wood Dragon
        Cost: 10m, 2wp (2 ahl) Mins: Essence 3
        Type: Simple
        Keywords: none
        Duration: One Scene
        Prerequisite Charms: Armor of Thorns, Flowing Thorn Reformation

The Exalt turns into a elemental that resembles a lesser elemental dragon. The Exalted gains the following benefits;
        • 14 natural Soak replaces the Exalt's soak
        • Hardness of 7
        • The Following attacks;
          • Attack (Bite): 11 dice (Damage 16, minimum 3)
          • Attack (Claws): 14 dice (Damage 13, minimum 1)
          • Attack (Grapple): 10 dice (11 dice to control)
        • Soaring Elemental Flight: This elemental form is both tireless and graceful, capable of traveling up to a hundred miles an hour through the sky or its native element. In combat, it doubles 9s on all movement rolls and may rush enemies on the ground from two range bands above them while flying.
        • Legendary Size: The Exalt's new size makes it extraordinarily difficult for human-scale enemies to engage them in combat. They takes no onslaught penalties from attacks made by smaller opponent, unless magically inflicted. Withering attacks made by smaller enemies cannot drop him below 1 Initiative unless they have a post-soak damage of 5 dice (although attackers can still gain the full amount of Initiative damage dealt). Decisive attacks made by smaller enemies cannot deal more than (3 + attacker’s Strength) levels of damage, not counting any levels of damage added by Charms or other magic.
        Special Activation Rules: A sorcerer may unlock this evocation by either being Exalted and purchasing it with xp or by defeating an elemental or Behemoth that is at least three range bands in size. If the wielder is not Exalted then they must pay an additional two aggravated health levels to use this evocation.

Hi, I'm Smiles With Fangs. I backed Exalted 3rd edition, but I can't make the image I have smaller so here's a kitten

I made some Liminal Charms here I made some Evocations for Wood Dragon's Claws here I'm working on a splat for the Moonsilver Warriors here

Comment

Originally posted by Ramaloke View Post
          I just thought it was annoying that its a 24 hour duration on Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, and further that the control benefits dont apply when you also have Incomparable Body Arsenal. The two are so close to each other that anybody who wants the first as their control spell is going to look at the second the moment they hit celestial circle sorcery and say "Man this fits right in with my other control spell but they dont actually mesh too well," or further that you cant combine Invulnerable Skin of Bronze with some MA (and there are artifact armors that dont count as armor, which seemed a natural extension of a spell which provides an /alternative/ to armor but for whatever reason still counts as armor).
          I get wanting to make the two spells mesh. I'm in favour of that, actually. But making the skin of bronze compatible with MAs that prohibit armor seems inappropriate to me; those MAs are, in theory, balanced against the unavailability of impressive soak totals.

Silk armor is a bit dubious too, but at least it's just light armour.

Anyway, ISoB doesn't normally get Evocations.

Comment

I didn't think about doing evocations for specific spells, but I did some generic spell evocations for a level-5 artifact (the invocations are still incomplete):
            The Staff of Ice (5-dot artifact)

This staff is of white jade and covered with orichalcum runes with words in old realm of power and magic written on it. It emanates power to all who can use sorcery, and looks very imposing to any who see the artifact.
            The Staff of Ice was created by one of the greatest Sorcerors of the First Age, Light Shining Blossom, from an extremely rare shard of white jade embebbed with moonsilver and orichalcum that was found close to the elemental pole. who spent centuries asking for practicants of all Creation to cast 900 spells in her huge studio, so that her staff got the spell's resonance.
            It has a predilection for solars, other Exalted can learn its evocations only with difficulty. For that, it passed along many powerful terrestrial sorcerors, who got irritated with not being able to unlock the artifact's obvious magical pungence.
            Evocations: The evocations of the staff are all based on sorcery and the use of cold to hinder the enemies and protect the user. A Solar who is attuned to this staff automatically gains the Chain Spell evocation.
            Chain Spell

Cost: 2m; Mins: Essence 1;
            Keywords:
            Duration: One action
            Prerequisite Charms: None
            Waste not, want not. The Staff of Ice may freeze the excess sorcerous motes that are left off from the final roll from a successful Shape Sorcery Action. The Exalted must immediately activate this charm to store the motes until his next action, when he can use either use the leftover sorcerous motes on a new Shape Sorcery action, or keep paying the cost to keep them stored.
            Aura of Cold

Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1;
            Keywords:
            Duration: One action
            Prerequisite Charms: None
            The cold stored in this Artifact is released to protect its user and hinder his enemies. While the user is doing a simple, non-splittable action (such as a Shape Sorcery action), or a full defense, he may use this effect to give a cold environmental hazard to all his close range enemies of 1B/round, difficulty 2. Each consecutive turn the user activates this effect, the hazard difficulty gets a +1, up to difficulty 4. If he stops using the charm, the cold penalty lowers on the area by 1 per turn, until it dissipates.
            Store Spell

Cost: 10m, Mins: Essence 2;
            Keywords:
            Prerequisite Charms: Chain Spell
            The staff's owner may freeze the spell matrix of a spell as it's just been cast. He may store a spell by paying the mote cost, and release it by releasing the commitment. The staff's runes will glow strongly (one level anima per circle) and this glow will last just about the same time. Veins of green colored jade glow when the staff contains a terrestrial circle spell, veins of moonsilver glow for celestial circle spell, and veins of orichalcum glow for a solar circle spell.
            The owner must spend one willpower as he releases the spell to control it, or it will target a random person in short range.
            Ablative Ice

Cost: 5m, Mins: Essence 2;
            Keywords: Dual.
            Duration: One Scene
            Prerequisite Charms: Aura of Cold
            The user may protect himself with almost-invisible ice shards that circulate around him and deflect attacks the user may suffer. The cold armor had 5 health levels of soak that are subtracted first from any decisive attack, and having a similar damage pool to subtract from withering attacks. If all the decisive pool is used, the defense is gone. If the withering pool is used, the user may take health levels from the decisive pool, if he so wishes. The withering pool recovers at the rate of one hl per turn (up to five).

This charm may be activated only once per turn, or if the user suffer damage in a turn in which he doesn't attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramaloke View Post
              I just thought it was annoying that its a 24 hour duration on Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, and further that the control benefits dont apply when you also have Incomparable Body Arsenal. .
              Mind that there are no ways to end ISoB prematurely. It isn't a spell, and isn't fed by the sorceror's essence, so it just lasts for a day. And there is no way to counter it. If this evocation makes the spell last permanently, then the user will remain in bronze form until, I suppose, he deattunes the artifact.

It would be more kosher to make the spell reflexive, and make it cost some essence (say, 2m), and put duration: indefinite. Then, the sorceror may end the effect whenever he ends the commitment.

Comment

As an aside, i have occasionally thought about the possibility of a spell that as control spell develops evocations eventually evolving to a degree that in some particular cases it in a way one outlives maker as a sorcerous artifact of sorts, reflective of aspects of the original dead sorcerer. Has anyone ever toyed with such a concept in their own games?

Comment

Working...
                X