No announcement yet.

The Exigence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Games of Divinity's take on Autochthon - he was a trickster as much as a tinker, who told the gods secrets that helped them make that which might slay their enemies. Note that it didn't say "he made a bunch of 'blank' Exaltations, then the Incarnae flavored them with their respective secret sauces." That's an important distinction. Then he taught the Exalted secrets in working the Magical Materials.

If Autochthon's gonna feature in Ex3, that's all the role he needs in their creation myth.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    The Unconquered Sun created the Exigence as a means for lesser gods to choose their Chosen. He and the other Celestial Incarnae don't make Exigents—they already have their Chosen.
    Plus they're not "lesser gods."

A force created to empower lesser divinities to create Exalted would not be of use to greater divinities, who have already demonstrated they can create Exalted.
    Oh, wait, I guess you said that before me. Dammit.

Originally posted by Arteliex View Post
    There are the Exalted, as made by the five Incarna…
    Incarna is singular - Incarnae is plural. More important, there are seven of them.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-14-2016, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoiaCombo View Post
      Auto who?
      ...you're on the internet. Maybe try a search for "Autochton Exalted"?

Here is a koan: what is Exalted without hate? What is life without suffering? What is philosophy without pretension?

Comment

Pretty sure he was kidding. Possibly as some kind of dig at the excessive prominence of Auto in late 2e fandom descriptions of Exaltation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
          Pretty sure he was kidding. Possibly as some kind of dig at the excessive prominence of Auto in late 2e fandom descriptions of Exaltation.
          Late, nothing. Heck, "Exaltation," nothing.

I remember so clearly coming into the Exalted fandom (after a brief and disastrous flirtation with 1E Lunars) with the 2E core, going online and... suddenly every conversation is about a robot dragon from outer space. No such entity had been mentioned in the Corebook, so I was really unprepared for it to be central to every part of the setting.

Here is a koan: what is Exalted without hate? What is life without suffering? What is philosophy without pretension?

Comment

Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
            Late, nothing. Heck, "Exaltation," nothing.

I remember so clearly coming into the Exalted fandom (after a brief and disastrous flirtation with 1E Lunars) with the 2E core, going online and... suddenly every conversation is about a robot dragon from outer space. No such entity had been mentioned in the Corebook, so I was really unprepared for it to be central to every part of the setting.
            Exalted: The Autochthonians was the last major release of 1e, and included the Locust Crusade, which was effectively the 1e version of Return of the Scarlet Empress. Although a lot of it was later discarded, it still laid the groundwork for all the cruft that would later build up around Autochthon and his works throughout 2e.

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War, First Draft pdf<NEW

Comment

The Unconquered Sun created the Exigence as a means for lesser gods to choose their Chosen. He and the other Celestial Incarnae don't make Exigents—they already have their Chosen.
              Now that I think about it, could the Unconquered Sun's Exigence be used for a purpose other than providing lesser gods with means to create their own chosen?

For example say some sorceror managed to get access to Exigence from a minor god he has dealings with, who in turn got it from the Unconquered Sun. What might he be able to do with it?

Comment

Exalted being Exalted, you might not be surprised if Luna looked at the Exigence, saw that occasionally Exalted as mighty as the Solars themselves were born from it and thought "Hmmm. Perhaps some Moon chosen, strengthened by the power of the sun, would be a good thing? I should talk to the Unconquered Sun about this, as a collaborative project. After all, we have the same goals in mind, broadly.".

At the same time, it is of course very easy for the setting to simply technobabble that "Different Celestial Essences are not compatible to forge Exaltation" or something like that and have that just be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Swazzle View Post
                  Now that I think about it, could the Unconquered Sun's Exigence be used for a purpose other than providing lesser gods with means to create their own chosen?

For example say some sorceror managed to get access to Exigence from a minor god he has dealings with, who in turn got it from the Unconquered Sun. What might he be able to do with it?
                  A very interesting line of thought, but probably one that will be left for Storytellers to decide.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

This is an interesting thread. Because it opens up the question of whether the Incarnae might create specialized shock troops. I.E. the Unconquered Sun doesn't need another Solar, but would like someone for a specific task that he has in mind. So he might whip up an exigent for that specific task as a one off. Could make for some interesting plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyzerg View Post
                      I don't know if this has been covered but can the Unconquered Sun make his own Exigents from the Exigence? Or are Solars technically Exigents? Are the original Exalted still created by Autochthon or are they all from the Exigence now?

In my "fluff" (and there is no difinitive Answer until the book on Exigents is released) - the Exigents are an Exalted with qualitied of the God that exalted them. As such I'd say the Solar Exalted can be considered Sun Exigents, the Lunar Exalted are Moon Exigents, the Sidereal are Star Exigents (etc...).

So my answer is you and no - the Solars are Exigents, and thus the Sun cannot make his own because he already has. And if he were to do so, he'd essentially be making the Solar Souls increase beyond 300.

The Logic I have behind this is that the Sun made 300 souls, Lunar made 300, but each Star Maiden made only 60 (60 x 5 = 300). Exigence is a MASSIVELY draining process that can be fatal to lesser gods - and I consider the UCS and Lunar to be two of the most powerful of the Gods, and the Maidens the only ones to come second to them since these 7 are almost always present regardless of where in Creation you are. Thus the most powerful could only manage 300 and were probably near death once done.

The Exigents are the chosen of lesser Gods - probably capable of making only a few souls. I suspect VERY few would be capable of even making more than 10.

In the end however, your game is your game. If you feel the Sun can make a new type of Exalted - go for it! Its all RPG story creating and, if your idea is cool, go for it :P

Comment

Originally posted by zenvious View Post
                        In my "fluff" the Exigents are an Exalted with qualities of the God that exalted them.
                        There's already a word for that: "Exalted".

Comment

The Solars aren't Exigents because Exigents are Exalts made using the Exigence, which the Sun (indeed, all the Incarnae) didn't need to use to make his Exalts.

Neither, for that matter, is a square a triangle.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-15-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Exigent is not really a nomenclature the way it's being used here. They're Exalted. "Exigent" refers more to the bureaucratic policy that defined how they came into existence. So, there is no "Solar Exigent."

To answer the OP: The Incarnae can't make any more Exalts, with or without the Exigence. (And they didn't need the Exigence in the first place.)

Exalted Developer
                            Currently writing: The Realm and Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/hatewheel/
                            If you like the work I am doing, please consider supporting my ability to work: https://www.patreon.com/emptyset?ty=h

Comment

I think there's basically two definitions of "Exigent" that fortunately line up quite neatly. To the gods and savants, an exigent is an exalted created by a Sun-assisted process by gods who would not otherwise be capable of it.

To the general populace of creation, an Exigent is an exalted which is neither Anathema or Dragon-Blooded, whose powers are miscellaneous and varied to the point of defying any rigid classification.

Comment

The player community is naturally going to trend toward discussing "Exigents" as a category but that's not really how they work in the setting or how they're thought of. Outside of a few very technical First Age treatises, you won't really see anyone considering unique Exalts as belonging to a big group-category of "Exigents." Just about everyone in Creation-- including elder Lunars and Sidereals-- would look at Strawmaiden Janest as "the Harvest Exalt" "the Chosen of Ten Sheaves" rather than "an Exigent of a field god." The latter implies a commonality with, say, Thousand Venoms Mistress, which, holy damn, no, those two have less in common than a Solar and a Lunar do.

Former Exalted developer.
                                --
                                Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
                                Follow my RPG ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X