No announcement yet.

The Exigence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense. It's not like Farmer Joe knows there's a fountain full of divine fire in the Jade Pleasure Dome or wherever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post
      The player community is naturally going to trend toward discussing "Exigents" as a category but that's not really how they work in the setting or how they're thought of. Outside of a few very technical First Age treatises, you won't really see anyone considering unique Exalts as belonging to a big group-category of "Exigents." Just about everyone in Creation-- including elder Lunars and Sidereals-- would look at Strawmaiden Janest as "the Harvest Exalt" "the Chosen of Ten Sheaves" rather than "an Exigent of a field god." The latter implies a commonality with, say, Thousand Venoms Mistress, which, holy damn, no, those two have less in common than a Solar and a Lunar do.
      This leaves me with both a sigh and a meh. I miss the days when I felt that the original 4 (or 5) Creation Exalted felt like they were unique in a world filled with supernatural creatures. Now that the UCS is Oprah-ing exaltations out to everyone I just find this new world boring. Weren't we happy with God-blooded?

Comment

Oh, sure, when you put it in puerile terms like "Oprah-ing Exaltations out to everybody," it's gonna sound shitty. But anything can be made to sound awful.

Originally posted by Tyzerg View Post
        Weren't we happy with God-blooded?
        Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

Nope.
          " Strawmaiden Janest as "the Harvest Exalt"' sounds like possibly the lamest thing I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyzerg View Post

" Strawmaiden Janest as "the Harvest Exalt"' sounds like possibly the lamest thing I've ever heard.
            Would you say that if she had her grimscythe hooked around your neck and was about to harvest your life?

Comment

Not to mention it's a pretty gross exaggeration to say he's giving them out to "everyone" when it's pretty explicitly stated as a rare and special thing for a god to be granted the Exigence. If there are 200 more people with superpowers in the world, does that really make the world that much smaller? Even if it was 400? 1000? You could exalt an entire (large) high school and it would more than cover the number of exalts in the world not counting the dragon blooded. And frankly, adding them is basically just exalting like 6-10 more high schools.

That would hardly be noticeable in the scope of the world. A world that is bigger and more spread out than ours. If you don't care for the Exigence, that's cool. I find flaws in the arguments you've presented, but it doesn't make your base opinion invalid for you. That said, I get the impression that your thoughts on Strawmaiden Janest come from not having read the story fiction in the core book introducing her, which really helps sell it in my opinion.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                Not to mention it's a pretty gross exaggeration to say he's giving them out to "everyone" when it's pretty explicitly stated as a rare and special thing for a god to be granted the Exigence. If there are 200 more people with superpowers in the world, does that really make the world that much smaller? Even if it was 400? 1000? You could exalt an entire (large) high school and it would more than cover the number of exalts in the world not counting the dragon blooded. And frankly, adding them is basically just exalting like 6-10 more high schools.
                Quality over quantity, I'd say. It's more about the fact that an exalt can come from a river god or a trash god instead of something as mighty as the Incarnae bothers me. This is where God-blooded, pleasantly, fit in. Spirit charms fit in nicely too. Having them go through apotheosis at Essence 3 was a nice touch. Calling them Exalts is lame.

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                That would hardly be noticeable in the scope of the world. A world that is bigger and more spread out than ours. If you don't care for the Exigence, that's cool. I find flaws in the arguments you've presented, but it doesn't make your base opinion invalid for you. That said, I get the impression that your thoughts on Strawmaiden Janest come from not having read the story fiction in the core book introducing her, which really helps sell it in my opinion.
                I've read the entire core.

Comment

But, I digress. My feelings on Exigents doesn't really answer my questions.

Comment

Hmmmm.. in that case, may I dig up a (probably old by now) suggestions that either Exigents are now god-blooded & scrap the Exaltations notion, or get rid of god-blooded & only have Exigents? I don't get the thematic point of having both.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                      I don't get the thematic point of having both.
                      I get the "YAY NEW!!!" buzz of the new exalts but on reflection this is my feelings as well.

Comment

The same reason we have elemental-blooded and terrestrial exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          The same reason we have elemental-blooded and terrestrial exalted.
                          That's just a cute word for God-blooded. Terrestrials fit a very specific niche in the world, one that I don't think exigents do. Apples and Oranges

Comment

I think your questions were pretty well answered already. The Sun can't make Exigents, Solars aren't Exigents, and Autochthon is being de-emphasized but I wouldn't bet on him being entirely uninvolved.

I don't think godbloods and Exigents are redundant. Actually, I don't even think they're very similar. Godbloods are literally people with the blood of gods. They've got gods as family. They might get a bit of magic but they're not Exalted.

Exigents are gonna be a lot more powerful, with a completely different relationship to their patrons.

PS: Would you like the new splats better if they didn't use the E-word for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
                              I think your questions were pretty well answered already. The Sun can't make Exigents, Solars aren't Exigents, and Autochthon is being de-emphasized but I wouldn't bet on him being entirely uninvolved.
                              These were guesses at best. *Edit: Sorry, I didn't see John's response.

I don't think godbloods and Exigents are redundant. Actually, I don't even think they're very similar. Godbloods are literally people with the blood of gods. They've got gods as family. They might get a bit of magic but they're not Exalted.

Exigents are gonna be a lot more powerful, with a completely different relationship to their patrons.
                              Meh.

PS: Would you like the new splats better if they didn't use the E-word for them?
                              I've already stated a yes to this.
                              Last edited by Tyzerg; 05-15-2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                                Hmmmm.. in that case, may I dig up a (probably old by now) suggestions that either Exigents are now god-blooded & scrap the Exaltations notion, or get rid of god-blooded & only have Exigents? I don't get the thematic point of having both.
                                Thematically?
                                Exigence is a dangerous way to get a powerful champion probably as a last ditch effort.
                                God Blooded are more often than not the spirit's actual kids. Permanent essence endowment is really rare and arguably dilutes them.
                                Last edited by Lioness; 05-15-2016, 06:30 PM.

Assorted homebrew goes here.

Comment

Working...
                                X