Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ex3] The Wyld Hunt arrests, but not kills, Anathema?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3] The Wyld Hunt arrests, but not kills, Anathema?

I finally got around to reading the Ex3 core book. One of the cool new places - a Northern City called Pneuma - contains a Immaculate Temple called the "Nail of Truth". In the Nail, there is an prison where Anathema are held until transport to the Blessed Isle.

So.... the Wyld Hunt doesn't kill Anathema on sight anymore? How the hell does the Realm actually contain Anathema during transport? There are so many ways a clever Anathema can escape their custody before they reach the Imperial Manse.

Does the Wyld Hunt have artifact bracers that does not allow an Exalt to channel Essence? Knock the bastard out and keep him in stasis until the trial?

I write things.

The question for me is why? Why in Gaia's name would they WANT to capture Anathema?

I mean, there's an obvious meta reason for it. So STs can justify players surviving an encounter with the Wyld Hunt. But in IC terms, I've got no clue why the hunt would do this, and it bugs me.

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post
      The question for me is why? Why in Gaia's name would they WANT to capture Anathema?

I mean, there's an obvious meta reason for it. So STs can justify players surviving an encounter with the Wyld Hunt. But in IC terms, I've got no clue why the hunt would do this, and it bugs me.

The same reason the Inquisition would capture, torture, and publicly try "witches." They want them to confess, to name other "witches" (or Anathema), and to repent, thereby showing the populace the strength of the Inquisition/Wyld Hunt. I can see the why - it's propaganda, publicity, and maybe a chance to grab some other Anathema in the bargain. As to the "how", I'm as stumped as wonderandawe.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

The only reasons i can think of are, For use as sourceress means for workings/artifacts and interogation on the location of other anthema(this mostly applies to lunars)

Comment

I haven't finished the Setting chapters yet, but I remember reading that the Scarlet Empress needs Solars/Lunars to keep control of the Sword of Creation.

I imagine this is a point of contention between the Scarlet Empress and Chejop Kejak. Kejak is the "Kill them all, burn their corpses, and found a religion to make sure they don't do it again" type.
          Last edited by wonderandawe; 05-17-2016, 01:47 PM.

I write things.

Comment

They know that Solars and Lunars reincarnate and ultimately answer to people whose preferred solution to the Solars was to lock away their Exaltations forever.
            To me it makes perfect sense, it's just not very genre aware.

success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Comment

Well, technically speaking, if one traps a young exalt and put them in a situation where they can't kill themselves, then that's one less Anathma you have to worry about for four thousandish+ years~

Thread Reaper <(´ ՞)ਊ( ՞ )>

Comment

Originally posted by The Hug Ninja View Post
                They know that Solars and Lunars reincarnate and ultimately answer to people whose preferred solution to the Solars was to lock away their Exaltations forever.
                To me it makes perfect sense, it's just not very genre aware.

This is another good reason. In Avatar the Last Airbender, Zuko told Aang that he would lock him up, otherwise Zuko would have to hunt down his next incarnation.

Still not sure HOW the Wyld Hunt can go about containing Solars/Lunars. An Eclipse would laugh at the "Inquisition" trial. An Night Caste would escape and disappear.

I'm guessing that DB and Sidereals have a stockpile of Containment Artifacts, lots of Astrology curses, and some anti-Anathema Charms.

I write things.

Comment

I can imagine nothing more glorious for a dynast DB than to catch a solar anathema and to parade the poor soul through the imperial city, stretched out on a mobile torture rack - of the sort that rips your essence from you, displaying it for all to see. There are artifacts which force a totemic anima display.

It would be a grand witch show-trial, with bold tales of battle, horrifying stories of the vile sin of the anathema, and finally a righteous verdict that will be carried out for the whole city to see.

...well, that's the plan anyway - who knows what kind of fun things that could go wrong, or perhaps go just a little too right?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

The Wyld Hunt absolutely kills Anathema (page 74 describes the Wyld Hunt as "the actual deed where a half-dozen Terrestrial Exalted and their personal retinues descend on a target the Immaculate Philosophy has deemed a threat to society and murder it"). It's just that sometimes, for whatever reason, they'll decide to capture one and torture, interrogate and/or experiment upon one before killing it.

My homebrew: Abyssals, Infernals, Dragon Kings, martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                      I finally got around to reading the Ex3 core book. One of the cool new places - a Northern City called Pneuma - contains a Immaculate Temple called the "Nail of Truth". In the Nail, there is an prison where Anathema are held until transport to the Blessed Isle.

So.... the Wyld Hunt doesn't kill Anathema on sight anymore? How the hell does the Realm actually contain Anathema during transport? There are so many ways a clever Anathema can escape their custody before they reach the Imperial Manse.

Does the Wyld Hunt have artifact bracers that does not allow an Exalt to channel Essence? Knock the bastard out and keep him in stasis until the trial?
                      The Empress has been described as possibly keeping Anathema imprisoned in the Imperial Manse since First Edition.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        The Empress has been described as possibly keeping Anathema imprisoned in the Imperial Manse since First Edition.
                        The next Solar I play is going to be an escapee from the Imperial Manse, focused on escaping from things he shouldn't. Call him Snake.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

Originally posted by Octopoid View Post
                          The next Solar I play is going to be an escapee from the Imperial Manse, focused on escaping from things he shouldn't. Call him Snake.
                          Little Stealth, little Brawl, a blue jade-and-cardboard box...

I know it's not the same Snake, but since he's named after Plissken it counts

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

In earlier editions empress wanted a tribute of live anathema she used as human sacrifices

Comment

I still want to know how a Wyld Hunt manages to capture an Anthema and drags them safety to the Blessed Isle without them escaping or running into the rest of their Anathema friends. Maybe I've been watching too many Marvel movies, but that whole arrest situation seems overly risky and prone to failure.

Are there artifacts that help with this? Astrology Curses help? Is Defense Against Anathema that powerful? A combination of the above? Anything else?

I write things.

Comment

Working...
                              X