Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to choose charms for a 'Gun Reaper' style of Dawn Caste

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying to choose charms for a 'Gun Reaper' style of Dawn Caste

    So I'm trying to build a MA supernal dawn caste, and I saw that in Righteous Devil Form that there's a line that lets you use a bayonet on a firewand as a spear for the purposes of charms and abilities, which to me screams 'mix me with white reaper'.

    I find the idea of a flame shooting ranged, white halo toting terror on the battlefield to be a great idea.

    I'm making the character as a new solar for now, but would appreciate help for leveling up to 50 xp.

    What I would appreciate is some suggestions for abilities and charms that go well with blending Righteous Devil and White Reaper together. Maybe even artifacts.
    Last edited by rungok; 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM.

  • #2
    It's a bit tough to mix White Reaper and Righteous Devil because 90% of White Reaper's umph comes from having the Form up to stock halos, but the "Can use a firewand as a spear" line is an effect of Righteous Devil Form.

    And you can't have multiple forms active at once.


    Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
      It's a bit tough to mix White Reaper and Righteous Devil because 90% of White Reaper's umph comes from having the Form up to stock halos, but the "Can use a firewand as a spear" line is an effect of Righteous Devil Form.

      And you can't have multiple forms active at once.

      Dang. You're right. Well crud. Back to the drawing board. I still want to use Righteous Devil Style, but maybe I can mix them with something else, just the melee tree? I don't think mixing melee and MA will synergize well since they're different abilities.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
        It's a bit tough to mix White Reaper and Righteous Devil because 90% of White Reaper's umph comes from having the Form up to stock halos, but the "Can use a firewand as a spear" line is an effect of Righteous Devil Form.

        And you can't have multiple forms active at once.
        Yeah, you're right. On the other hand, that's a damn cool character concept that needs to happen, so how about

        Burning Reaper Combination (Merit ••)—Purchased
        Prerequisites: Righteous Devil Form, White Reaper Form

        We're doing this man. We're making it happen. When the martial artist switches from White Reaper Form into Righteous Devil Form (see the Form keyword, p. 426), she keeps any halos that she has stocked and can spend them on White Reaper Charms (although she must switch back to White Reaper form to gain more haloes). Conversely, while in White Reaper Form, she may wield a bayoneted firewand as spears (but doesn't gain any other benefits of Righteous Devil Form).

        This isn't "official" or "playtested" but I am the guy who wrote both styles and I don't think anything's gonna break.


        Developer for Exalted

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Robert Vance's Patreon

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          Yeah, you're right. On the other hand, that's a damn cool character concept that needs to happen, so how about

          Burning Reaper Combination (Merit ••)—Purchased
          Prerequisites: Righteous Devil Form, White Reaper Form

          We're doing this man. We're making it happen. When the martial artist switches from White Reaper Form into Righteous Devil Form (see the Form keyword, p. 426), she keeps any halos that she has stocked and can spend them on White Reaper Charms (although she must switch back to White Reaper form to gain more haloes). Conversely, while in White Reaper Form, she may wield a bayoneted firewand as spears (but doesn't gain any other benefits of Righteous Devil Form).

          This isn't "official" or "playtested" but I am the guy who wrote both styles and I don't think anything's gonna break.

          I... I think a tear just rolled down my cheek. Thank you. Thank you.
          I volunteer to go test it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Note that although you can combine Righeous Devil with White Reaper, it doesn't really help much, because none of the Charms work in conjunction with each other. However, if you're okay with that, there isn't really a limit to which styles you can use together. You can alternate shots with Righeous Devil, Crane kicks and Silver-Voiced Nightingale kiais to your heart's content.

            Personally, if I wanted to combine Righteous Devil with another style, I would use Single Point, flamepiece in one hand, slashing sword in the other.
            Last edited by Crumplepunch; 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM.


            Writer for Exalted.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's what I built as a starting solar.
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r...ew?usp=sharing
              Put it up on google drive. Feel free to take a look.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                Yeah, you're right. On the other hand, that's a damn cool character concept that needs to happen, so how about

                Burning Reaper Combination (Merit ••)—Purchased
                Prerequisites: Righteous Devil Form, White Reaper Form

                We're doing this man. We're making it happen. When the martial artist switches from White Reaper Form into Righteous Devil Form (see the Form keyword, p. 426), she keeps any halos that she has stocked and can spend them on White Reaper Charms (although she must switch back to White Reaper form to gain more haloes). Conversely, while in White Reaper Form, she may wield a bayoneted firewand as spears (but doesn't gain any other benefits of Righteous Devil Form).

                This isn't "official" or "playtested" but I am the guy who wrote both styles and I don't think anything's gonna break.

                Schwing~~~


                SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  Yeah, you're right. On the other hand, that's a damn cool character concept that needs to happen, so how about

                  Burning Reaper Combination (Merit ••)—Purchased
                  Prerequisites: Righteous Devil Form, White Reaper Form

                  We're doing this man. We're making it happen. When the martial artist switches from White Reaper Form into Righteous Devil Form (see the Form keyword, p. 426), she keeps any halos that she has stocked and can spend them on White Reaper Charms (although she must switch back to White Reaper form to gain more haloes). Conversely, while in White Reaper Form, she may wield a bayoneted firewand as spears (but doesn't gain any other benefits of Righteous Devil Form).

                  This isn't "official" or "playtested" but I am the guy who wrote both styles and I don't think anything's gonna break.

                  First of all, as Gallus said, SCHWING!

                  Secondly, is this conceptual design space we could reasonably use for our own games? Making Merits like this to help blend Martial Arts styles? If so, yay!


                  DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Octopoid View Post
                    First of all, as Gallus said, SCHWING!

                    Secondly, is this conceptual design space we could reasonably use for our own games? Making Merits like this to help blend Martial Arts styles? If so, yay!
                    Go nuts with it.

                    As a note, part of the quick in-my-head balancing of this revolved around most of Righteous Devil's big super attack Charms don't work with the bayonet attacks, so I didn't have to worry too much about potentially overpowered combinations. Many of the core styles have much more intrinsic synergy with each other than Righteous Devil+White Reaper, so keep that in mind.


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Octopoid View Post

                      Secondly, is this conceptual design space we could reasonably use for our own games? Making Merits like this to help blend Martial Arts styles? If so, yay!
                      Anything is conceptual design space. This is basically the homebrew edition, what with Evocations, Exigents, Workings.

                      That said I'd be leery about merits that blend synergetic MA, like Pearl and Claw or Crane and Snake.

                      On the other hand, Quetzacoatl Style would be bitchin'.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Korhal_IV View Post

                        Anything is conceptual design space. This is basically the homebrew edition, what with Evocations, Exigents, Workings.

                        That said I'd be leery about merits that blend synergetic MA, like Pearl and Claw or Crane and Snake.

                        On the other hand, Quetzacoatl Style would be bitchin'.

                        I thought the Crane+Snake style in 2nd ed was Cobra Styl- *BLURG!*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          Go nuts with it.

                          As a note, part of the quick in-my-head balancing of this revolved around most of Righteous Devil's big super attack Charms don't work with the bayonet attacks, so I didn't have to worry too much about potentially overpowered combinations. Many of the core styles have much more intrinsic synergy with each other than Righteous Devil+White Reaper, so keep that in mind.
                          To be honest I always found it kind of weird that the use-firewand-as-spear was conditioned on the Form charm rather than just being something even mortals could do.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I just like the idea of casually pistol whipping an army to death. That's my two cents on the matter.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So... do any RDS charm interact with the bayonet blade? Cause if they don't a simple fix would be to houserule that RDS users can use firewands both as range and close combat weapons. Or am I overseeing something?


                              Join the Strife

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X