Interview With Ex3 Developers John and Holden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holden View Post
    Oh, God, yeah. There are lots of crappy fights in cinema that are very pretty, but also very bad fight scenes. Man of Steel is probably the worst offender in this regard (it's maybe the only problem MoS had that Dawn of Justice didn't repeat, in fact). The lightsaber fights in the prequels are pretty, because watching Ray Park do flips is neat, and John Williams dug down deep for badass music, but there's just no real sense of weight or stakes. And that's the best of the lot-- all the rest fail to even tell a rudimentary story or have any kind of cohesion. Luke/Vader I and II are much slower and nobody does a 780 spinflip but dear God they have heart and they have art.
    To anyone who remembers the Phantom Menace fight as the highlight of that movie, allow me ruin it for you:

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

Ohh, we want to talk about good fight choreography versus bad fight choreography, eh? All with a nice synthesis of fighting and story?

I cannot effectively embed videos at the moment, so if somebody else could bring Every Frame A Painting's discussion on Jackie Chan over here...

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        Ohh, we want to talk about good fight choreography versus bad fight choreography, eh? All with a nice synthesis of fighting and story?

I cannot effectively embed videos at the moment, so if somebody else could bring Every Frame A Painting's discussion on Jackie Chan over here...
        I think I can manage that.

On a related note, here's a Brawl Charm I wrote:

Jokun-In-the-Teahouse Attitude
        Cost: 1m; Mins:Brawl 3, Essence 1
        Type:Reflexive
        Keywords:None
        Duration:Instant
        Prerequisite Charms:Stone-Shattering Blow

Earth Dragon brawlers are the bane of respectable establishments throughout the Realm and beyond. With this Charm, the Dragon-Blood can reflexively ready an improvised weapon; hefting a nearby table, tearing a paving slab out of the ground or breaking off a chair leg. He suffers none of the normal penalties for performing a ready weapon action in combat. As long as the weapon was readied in this way, he need not spend initiative to make a Brawl attack with it. The first time the weapon hits an opponent, it breaks. If is broken with a withering Brawl attack on the same turn it is equipped, the Dragon-Blood gains a bonus point of initiative.
        Last edited by Crumplepunch; 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

I was actually pretty impressed by the podcast, they actually managed to sell me on the rarity of artifacts and sorcery which is something that I have been staunchly against since it was announced. They also removed my concern that the need for things to go uncategorized would result in little being specified, I was particular interested by the mention of pre-christian Spain and where that dynamic may be present in Exalted...

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
            To anyone who remembers the Phantom Menace fight as the highlight of that movie, allow me ruin it for you:
            That's hilarious.

Granted, it applies as well to the original trilogy fights, every pirate movie ever made, and just generally the (nigh-universal) school of movie swordfighting known as "Flynning," but still.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
              Exalted devs aim to be diverse. Prince Diamond's presence on the cover is deliberate. Diamond will be the heroic heart of a Circle of reprobates.*
              I love the EX3 cover (I wish the entire book was done in that painterly/collage style) but had no idea it was supposed to be Prince Diamond, is this the first time we are getting that confirmed or was it already known? I can kinda see some of the stylistic similarities only now that it has been pointed out to me but I don't think I ever would have made the connection just based on comparison to Prince Diamond's appearance in the interior art.
              Last edited by SpruceStripedGoose; 05-24-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

From the Jackie Chan video, I get the impression that even Flynning can look decent when there's good blockage, but one can see from that thing that the Phantom Menace ones are mostly in very static and straightforward shots that allow you to see the overchoreography and lack of danger in stark detail.

​The fight scenes in Empire and Return at least had some good lighting and angles to set a mood of danger and draw the eye in certain directions.

You get similar things from scenes of conversations in boring over-the-shoulder shot/reverse shot.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

They mentioned Trauma Bear! My destiny is fulfilled!

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                  Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                    They mentioned Trauma Bear! My destiny is fulfilled!
                    Fata-Ku- 1
                    Bureau of Destiny- 0

Comment

I am very pleased to hear that Arms IS going to be a major guide to Evocations after all!

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
                        I am very pleased to hear that Arms IS going to be a major guide to Evocations after all!
                        Ya, that was quickly becoming a major concern so I am glad that they cleared it up.

Comment

As far as the combat system in 3e goes, I love that it lets you do the two big fight scenes from the Princess Bride pretty well. Granted, working out the grappling portion of the fight fighting duel requires a bit of finagling with the rules (The Man in Black initiated the grapple, technically, but Fezik is still able to control their movement) but the rules should be finagled to allow for that.

All in all, I think I need to watch more of these fight scenes and introduce some cool terrain into my future fights. Also more essence users.

Comment

I would like to point out, for vanity's sake, that I also independently came up with the idea of putting a sea down where the Dreaming Sea is, and would have done so whether John told me to or not. The barennness of that portion of the map in 1e bothered me back when I ran my first Exalted game, before any of the supplements had been published.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post
                              Luke/Vader I and II are much slower and nobody does a 780 spinflip but dear God they have heart and they have art.
                              *Delurk*

The Empire Strikes Back is one of, if not my absolute, favorite movie(s) of all time, and I hold that the nailbiting Luke/Vader battle is one of the greatest fight scenes in cinema.

These two things are very much related.

I fully appreciate how Ex3's combat system was designed to replicate the feel of Vader absolutely dominating the fight, while only occasionally harming Luke directly.

/sincerity/ Thank you. /sincerity/

*Relurk*
                              Last edited by Prometheus878; 05-24-2016, 07:52 PM.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                                As far as the combat system in 3e goes, I love that it lets you do the two big fight scenes from the Princess Bride pretty well. Granted, working out the grappling portion of the fight fighting duel requires a bit of finagling with the rules (The Man in Black initiated the grapple, technically, but Fezik is still able to control their movement) but the rules should be finagled to allow for that.
                                I'd probably run it as some sort of merit like the Tyrant Lizard's "Legendary Size" or whatever it's called. A character can be grappled, all normal penalties apply both to attacker and defender, with the exception the target maintain's their ability to take the standard reflexive Move action due to it being impossible for the attacker to restrain all the necessary limbs.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

Working...
                                X