X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkipi
    started a topic Interview With Ex3 Developers John and Holden

Interview With Ex3 Developers John and Holden

Hey all! I got a really great chance to sit down and interview John and Holden for my podcast recently, and here are the fruits of that discussion. They have a lot to say about upcoming products (yes, Arms will provide useful info for homebrew artifacts and evocations) and about their design philosophy and the journey to EX3. There's a lot of great stuff that they discuss, and I'd love to see it discussed here. They talk about some upcoming exalts and touch at their design thoughts approaching those, they talk about how they engage with the content and sought to liven up Creation for another edition. I had a great time and I hope you all enjoy listening!

HOWEVER! I want this to be a hype thread, filled with excitement about the things the devs had to share. Posts to the effect of "I'm not sure how I feel about X, Y or Z are totally kosher, but please, if there is a major backlash that you are having to the content, split off and make a separate thread! Again, not asking for it to be above reproach, but please take major, serious lines of discussion revolving around disagreements that you have with the content elsewhere, I'd prefer that not flood my notifications.

That being said, here's the interview! Go wild and I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks!

• Erinys
    replied
    Exigents can't be Solars, Lunars, Abyssals, Sidereals, Dragon-Blooded, Alchemicals, Green Sun Princes, Liminals, Getimians, Spoken, Chosen of the Depths, Nocturnals, Memorials, Abyssal-Lunars, Abyssal-Dragon-Blooded, or Alchemical-cyborg hybrids with another Exalt type. So guidelines that don't help anyone write more Charms for their favorite non-Exigent splat, introduce a non-Exigent splat into their game before the next splatbook drops, or design their own non-Exigent splat, would make the book much less useful for homebrew.

It would be really awesome if the Exigents book even provides advice that makes it easier for STs to make God-Blooded, Fair Folk, gods, Dragon Kings, Jadeborn, or whatever playable at their table before those things have their own books with rules. I don't know if that's feasible, though.
    Last edited by Erinys; 05-27-2016, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eltacolibre
    replied
    Well when it comes to exigents...it frankly has no limits. There are millions and millions of gods, not only can you be a champion of a god or you can just be someone from the black market of exaltation that have been twisted and modified to be almost alien to their origin. Also on top of it, they even mention in the exigent section that sometime you can be chosen of the same god (relatively rare) and get different blessings and powers. Personally I'm looking forward to them the most out of the new exalts at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    My hope/preference is that a host-specific design thesis makes it into each new splatbook. And that the Exigents book would make it straightforward to design Charms, charm-trees, or entire splats for any type of Exalted any of us can imagine, including the canon Exalted that already have books, the canon Exalted that don't have books yet, 2E-fluff or 1E-fluff versions of canon Exalted, Green Sun Princes, Nocturnals, Abyssal-Lunars, Alchemical-cyborg Solars, Shards-style Firearms/Computer/Drive charm-trees, anything. In other words, not a book that only explains how to design Exigents within their own splat constraints.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Might be conterversial to note, but the bit in the Charms chapter about the nature of Solar Charms? I kind of wonder if there isn't something similarly lengthed on other Exalts or that something is about which encourages you to write something like that for Exigents. Having a design thesis for your Exalt sort probably is going to be a big thing when you don't have a "pointbuy" mindset.

And stuff.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    Now, this might just be me underestimating things, but my outsider's impression is that the next big mechanical hurdle of a book is going to be Exigents. I mean, people have worked out the themes and such for DBs before so, even if the charms need to be mechanically different, even if you had to punch them up again half way through, I feel like that's gotta be easier than writing something like five completely unrelated charmsets that have to double as a book on "How to Write Charms."

Given the commentary about "generic point buy power systems" in the interview, I'm honestly not sure how to build something like that, which isn't just "Well, you've got a bunch of examples now, so get to it." I'm going to be very impressed at the book when it comes out because that sounds like a task that's only slightly smaller than building the game entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Major
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew D View Post

That was probably my single favorite Kickstarter update. Between the awesome short story and the beautiful artwork, pretty much all of my concerns about the edition just evaporated.
    I'm with you on this. Previously I had disliked pretty much all the late Exalted offerings (MoJ, Glories, the writing style of the charms in Alchemicals [though I liked the setting]) and was incredibly leery of 3e being handed over to those I saw as being key to those books. The Janest fiction and art convinced me to go all in on the Kickstarter.

This interview I found useful as to why things like the reset conditions (which I am not a fan of) exist. I may not like such mechanics but understanding where John and Holden were coming from helps me understand what they were trying to do. I can respect their efforts even if I am not a fan of some aspects of the book.

Leave a comment:

• Ghosthead
    replied
    Really nice to hear the developers talk with such enthusiasm. Because it's not mentioned yet I enjoyed the "how would you pitch Exalted to a total newcomer" question, that was a good answer to me. Also liked the mention that the social system fits well with the Sidereal style of game play (hopefully means they have lots of ideas).

Leave a comment:

• BlueWinds
    replied
    I'm right there with you, BrilliantRain. I may have a reputation for being critical, but I think the fiction and setting chapters - and much of the art and layout that goes with them - are fantastic. When I first got my copy of the PDF I ran around showing it to everyone - <sparkly eyes>sooooo pretty</sparkly eyes>. Especially the opening piece about Wu Jian - it's a great way to open the book, and captures what I love about Exalted perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew D
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
    I reread the original 1e intro fiction again relatively recently and it really sold me on Exalted at the time. The Janest fiction is easily as good as that and it sold me on 3e. It even made me cry a bit. I'm glad to hear it played a big part in selling everyone else on the game.
    That was probably my single favorite Kickstarter update. Between the awesome short story and the beautiful artwork, pretty much all of my concerns about the edition just evaporated.

Leave a comment:

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    I reread the original 1e intro fiction again relatively recently and it really sold me on Exalted at the time. The Janest fiction is easily as good as that and it sold me on 3e. It even made me cry a bit. I'm glad to hear it played a big part in selling everyone else on the game.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Oh, I see. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    It is? Where? All I can see on his blog are the Randan reports.
    Here you go.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    It is? Where? All I can see on his blog are the Randan reports.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Some of it the antagonists section already has - check Eric Minton's blog!

(From my understanding, the intent with the Antagonists chapter was to give all or at least most of the antagonists blurbs as though they were individuals who were examples of a something-or-other (bandit, soldier, pirate, zombie).)
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X