"Are Gambits really Decisive attacks?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gallus View Post
    Gambits are explicitly Decisive attacks, as stated in the first sentence of their rules on page 199. Instead of doing damage you do a special effect. If you think there is a contradiction in the rules, you need to actually say what and where that is, instead of stating it to be true.

Gallus is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post
      Gallus is correct.
      I think the main uncertainty is about how they interact with charms that create and/or enhance decisive attacks. Can I disarm an attacker with Solar Counterattack or Fervent Blow, or do those only create standard decisive attacks? Similarly, can I enhance a disarm Gambit with Hungry Tiger Technique or Increasing Strength Exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
        Similarly, can I enhance a disarm Gambit with Hungry Tiger Technique or Increasing Strength Exercise?
        If the Charm in question is a Supplemental Charm that supplements a decisive attack, then I see no reason why it would not supplement a gambit, though those that add to damage may be rendered useless by the nature of the gambit.

Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
        Can I disarm an attacker with Solar Counterattack or Fervent Blow, or do those only create standard decisive attacks?
        No clue.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post

Gallus is correct.
          All right. If a Simple Charm says, "Make a Decisive attack," can you do a Gambit? If so, can you Disarm via Shadow Wind Slash for 2m, instead of 1m 1wp?

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

If someone asked me which Exalted release I was the most stoked for, I would of course say Infernals, but Scroll of Errata EX3 has seriously become my second choice.

Comment

For the record, I asked John on tweeter if you can use gambits on multiattack Decisive Charms and he said no.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post
                For the record, I asked John on tweeter if you can use gambits on multiattack Decisive Charms and he said no.

https://twitter.com/hatewheel/status/736327897988894720 Link to the response in question.

Comment

It sounds like this is a square vs. rectangle issue. All gambits are decisive attacks, but not all decisive attacks are gambits. So I would assume, based on what is said in this forum, that any Charm that creates a decisive attack cannot create a gambit unless it specifically says it does.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

That seems like the best interpretation to me. Doesn't quite square with the wording of Fallen Weapon Deflection but I'm prepared to ignore that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingdom of One View Post
                      If someone asked me which Exalted release I was the most stoked for, I would of course say Infernals, but Scroll of Errata EX3 has seriously become my second choice.
                      I'm pretty sure that if there is errata for this book, it will be used to address actual errors. Not to say, "okay okay, all of your absurd and obtuse readings of the rules have proven that our language was insufficiently technical and we're sorry."

If someone wants to rule that you can disarm the same guy five times in a row and put yourself deep into initiative crash and lose the fight with a melee charm, there's nothing the writers can do to fix your game.

Comment

I think that's a bit of a strange way to assume it's going to work. It's pretty reasonable, when fighting a guy with two swords, to want to use your extra-action charm to disarm both his swords at once.

I mean, I'm not saying that you can use your extra-action charm to do so. Just that I don't think people who want to do so have "absurd and obtuse readings of the rules", or that there's something wrong with their game that's unrelated to the rules because they're just bad players with stupid rules-lawyering ideas.

My characters:
                        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          I think that's a bit of a strange way to assume it's going to work. It's pretty reasonable, when fighting a guy with two swords, to want to use your extra-action charm to disarm both his swords at once.
                          I figure that "disarm both of my opponent's weapons with a single attack" could easily be a single customized gambit with a higher difficulty, rather than needing to execute the standard disarm gambit twice.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

l don't know.. I keep seeing the idea of crashing from doing too many gambits come up. Leaving aside whether you can use gambits with a charm that gives you multiple decisive attacks before resetting your initiative, you can't even attempt a gambit unless you have enough initiative to pay for it +1, because decisive attacks (including gambits) are simply not how you go into initiative crash in this game. This should be enough to immediately discount such an interpretation. Also, a charm being worse than useless because of a given reading should indicate that we're extrapolating a bit too far in the wrong direction from what we feel is an unclear rule.

If someone thinks that gambits should be allowed with decisive multi-attack charms, which isn't an unreasonable house rule on its own, they should probably follow the obvious intent of the charm as closely as possible otherwise. So make a bunch of gambits at full initiative, and either reset or subtract the cost of the most expensive gambit at the end. "Well subtracting initiative after a gambit isn't technically resetting," doesn't mean that they have to make up the worst possible set of unwritten rules and go with that. I mean, people can play the game however they want, but at some point they're manufacturing their own confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew D View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that if there is errata for this book, it will be used to address actual errors. Not to say, "okay okay, all of your absurd and obtuse readings of the rules have proven that our language was insufficiently technical and we're sorry."
                              Well, a body can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingdom of One View Post

Well, a body can dream.

Seriously a book (or even just a post) containing simply stated one sentence rulings on a number of charms that keep popping up would do wonders.

Comment

Working...
                                X