Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest, weirdest, and other-est gods you've made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest, weirdest, and other-est gods you've made?

Hey, with the new edition and a lot of new locations, was wondering what some of the strange or cool gods people have come up with? Restore any old ones from the prior editions (I know I loved Swan Dragon in Second Edition) or filling new holes (Lots of place still empty)
    I know I've got an ambitious storm god who loves lions down in the Dreaming Sea, who's small for now (just got some authority over storms, started out supervising jungle cats) who's worshiped on the outskirts of Parsaad. So far from an already isolated satrapy, and he's started amassing more power among his followers. Thinking of naming him Endad.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
    Many Limbed Manual
    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Mostly as the stories need them. Except most of the popular gods (the important official of Yu-Shan) or the ones in the exigent exalted spread (Plentimon, Burning Feathers I think for one of them etc...) are guaranteed to be in my game, forgot the name of the Mountain God with the cult of the illuminated Boot camp in first edition but definitely bringing him back. I also look at the Gods nowadays with which ones are either most likely to sacrifice themselves to make an exigent, go buy black market exaltation for whatever reason or have a chosen.

A Lytek exigent and Ryzala exigent could be potentially interesting in any chronicle/story.

Comment

Shimmering White Eyes (from 1E's Cult of the Illuminated) was sweet. So human and yet so alien at the same time.
      And I've always preferred god characters who are literally and/or thematically tied to their purview, rather than gods who just seem like superpowered humans. So seeing White's emotions be explicitly connected to her patron spring, to see it being treated as an aspect/extension of herself, was really cool. She doesn't just work through her spring, she is her spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Eltacolibre View Post
        A Lytek exigent and Ryzala exigent could be potentially interesting in any chronicle/story.
        As much as I like Lytek, I imagine both him and Ryzala's reason for exigents would be suspect if not illegal.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Oh definitely, even if from what I had in mind, Lytek with nobody to trust about the Great curse, would make an exigent incognito to have him investigate the matter, since Lytek can't do it and his defining principle is that all exalted achieves greatness, so making an exigent to help achieve and fix his work...seems kind of something that he would do.

Ryzala in my mind, would use her exigent to be against the Sidereals to say the least, well to be more exact the bronze faction while she doesn't embrace the gold faction, could definitely see her making an exigent just for this purpose, illegally of course.

Comment

We've got an Exigent of Ryzala in our Sidereals game. She's neat, her powers are paper based and she utilises prayer strips but in a different way to our characters.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
              We've got an Exigent of Ryzala in our Sidereals game. She's neat, her powers are paper based and she utilises prayer strips but in a different way to our characters.
              To expand on this Gamilah (the Exigent in question) uses her prayer strips to invoke the aid of external powers that serve or aid Heaven. For her its not about devotion or enlightenment so much as knowing how to ask for things and using paper as a medium.

For example: if she wants to avoid freezing to death in the North she writes a prayer to Hesiesh and sticks it to herself to stay warm. To expand on this ability she experiments and devises other applications for a strip of paper invested with the warmth of the Fire Dragon. It seems harmless enough, but what if instead of distributing that heat over a long period of time she can use multiple prayer strips to produce a different outcome or damage one to release this heat much faster? Bureaucracy is as much about knowing when to bend the rules as well as knowing when to use them like a cudgel.

Essentially she has a different take on the adaptable and advanced planning aspects of Sidereals while dispensing with ideas of destiny and enlightenment which Ryzala fears and distrusts.

Comment

The heaviest god I've ever come up with, and the one that uses the largest fonts:

MO-FUM-BO THE RICE GOD!

In my games, Mo-fum-bo is the god is rice in the South. On his left is a massive pile of bowls of cooked white rice. On his right is a massive pile of empty bowls. He eats continuously, shoveling in rice with chopsticks, bowl after bowl. He never drops a single grain. Around his throne are a hoard of spirits who act as cooks and bowl-washers, and one interpreter, who explains to his petitioners the meanings of his incomprehensible, Strong-Mad-like grumbletalk.

He's basically my favorite.

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

Comment

One homebrew god I used extensively in one campaign and as a major figure in another. The god in question was Aurenna. In addition to being the goddess of various sorts of jungle spiders she was a member of the Bureau of Battles and is a subordinate to Sunipa the god of Eastern Warfare. In her capacity as a war goddess she represented asymmetrical warfare. She focused on things like ambushes, poisoning your enemies food and water, assassination, and essentially any sort of dishonorable or unfair technique.

In much of the East, where the large forests and jungles make the massing of large standing armies impossible, Aurenna is the defacto goddess of war and is often worshiped as such by the tribes who live in those areas. She is engaged in a millennium long plot to overthrow and replace Sunpia as the Eastern goddess of warfare, not solely for personal power (though there is that), but because she is convinced Sunpia assisted in the murder of her lover, Darunla the previous goddess of Eastern warfare.

She made a useful (if somewhat creepy and heartless) ally in a Solar game I was running, and a useful foil in a Bronze Faction game I later ran.

One of my players expressed interest in playing an Exigent of hers when 3rd edition came out, so I've been considering how to put a Charmset together.

Another fun god I used was Joe, a Bloody Hand who was assigned to watch and record the murders of a Night Caste assassin PC. Joe would often help the PC, but he could also be kind of annoying. "Hey, hey, hey. Why don't you kill him with... uhhh... how about that rock there? No? Maybe that paperweight then? Just club him on the head. I'll bet it'll kill him."

*EDIT* I ran Joe kind of like Morte from Planescape Torment.
                  Last edited by AnubisXy; 05-29-2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Two whom I mentioned on another thread are Brings Joy in the Morning, and Painful Footstep.

Brings Joy was the local crop god of coffee on an island ruled by a shark god who had the locals paint their canoes with blood and coffee to drive away dolphin spirits. After the party ousted the shark god, Brings Joy in the Morning got the locals to brew and drink coffee and to trade it overseas. He was working to establish himself as the local cultural god, with a coffeehouse/temple attended by barista/priestesses in green liturgical aprons.

Painful Footstep was the god of a minor species of scorpion wiped out by the Great Contagion, and he now works for the Gold Star Signatories of the Sun's Favor. He(or possibly she, it's hard to tell with giant scorpions) is hard-working, dedicated and believes in moving up through the system by being the best qualified. It is also a backstabbing suck-up who, when one of the PC's got himself appointed manager of the Signatories, would be there every morning with the boss' double latte' extra sugar, a box of celestial doughnuts, and a list of other employees who need to be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikari Gendo View Post
                      Brings Joy was the local crop god of coffee on an island ruled by a shark god who had the locals paint their canoes with blood and coffee to drive away dolphin spirits. After the party ousted the shark god, Brings Joy in the Morning got the locals to brew and drink coffee and to trade it overseas. He was working to establish himself as the local cultural god, with a coffeehouse/temple attended by barista/priestesses in green liturgical aprons.
                      I've paid tribute to this god I believe.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

I used the God of Tapeworms although he/she shouldn't count because it is on the cover of two books. I liked the god of theater (too lazy to look up the name right now) who became friends with the PCs to make sure plays about their adventures are seen by all. He got into a fight once and used stage fighting techniques that looked fake but did real damage.

I also have the God of Gold in my current game who has been in an argument with the salt gods and trade gods about currency for about 200 years.

Comment

Somewhat on topic I had an idea that every major office in yu-shan came with an emergency exigency as part of the bonus/duty of the office. Basically the four directional gods of war, the beauru heads, and a few other powerful deities have one guaranteed authorized exigency that they may use in case of personal emergency but that they absolutely must use in case of true emergency. This protocol was enacted after the balorian crusade when it was determined there needed to be a quick way to empower potent mortals to aid in times of crisis. So far in my canon none of these exigencies have been used but the potential is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiwuno View Post
                            Somewhat on topic I had an idea that every major office in yu-shan came with an emergency exigency as part of the bonus/duty of the office. Basically the four directional gods of war, the beauru heads, and a few other powerful deities have one guaranteed authorized exigency that they may use in case of personal emergency but that they absolutely must use in case of true emergency. This protocol was enacted after the balorian crusade when it was determined there needed to be a quick way to empower potent mortals to aid in times of crisis. So far in my canon none of these exigencies have been used but the potential is there.
                            Break in case of doom sort of thing?

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by MuscaDomestica View Post
                              I also have the God of Gold in my current game who has been in an argument with the salt gods and trade gods about currency for about 200 years.
                              What about the God of Jade? I imagine earth elementals have a say too.

Many Limbed Manual

Comment

Working...
                              X