Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest, weirdest, and other-est gods you've made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a guy I wrote for a prompt on tumblr, here's the full writeup of the manse: http://magicturtle.tumblr.com/post/1...y-diadem-heart

Cygmo-Channo

The god of Diadem Heart, Cygmo-Channo is cold, cruel and aloof, but more so than any of those he is arrogant. Thus, any family member (or current target of Pyre’s indoctrination) can ask him for information regarding spirits, ancient artifacts or (immaculate approved) realm history, and as long as he is properly praised, he is happy to answer. Cygmo-Channo’s relationship with Inconspicuous Pyre is professional, he knows that as long as the Bronze faction is in control, he has nothing to gain by going against them, furthermore, he derives a cruel joy from watching his manse affect the brains of others, dragonblooded especially. Cygmo-Channo appears as a large, perfectly round, glowing sphere that has been shoved into some fancy clothes, sleeves and pant legs dangle as it floats back and forth. His voice is deep, but has an ethereal quality. His entire sphere-body glows when he speaks.

Comment

A game I ran for awhile featured Bari Hee, Goddess of Last Hopes and Desperate Pleas. She was a mid level goddess, prayed to by the most desperate, by those who had tried every recourse and failed to have anything be fixed. She was a loving woman who had 'an innumerable number of arms, with which to hold the poor souls who called on her'. She did what she could for anyone who needed her, though her powers were limited, and was also known as Bari Hee, the Crying Goddess, for her compassion was such that not once in her lifetime had she ever stopped crying, the inability to save everyone driving her to cry for their losses, and her own weakness. It was such that even in the face of Sol himself she could not cease her tears,and even he was said to have been moved by this weak god's compassion, for the slightest of moments, a golden tear running down his face, and touching to her head - it is said that this is why the dark skinned goddess normally clad in mourning black does now have shining golden hair.

I hope to one day find a way to create an Exigent from her, because I enjoyed creating her, and my players practically fell in love with her - it derailed the campaign for like 10 sessions, as everyone tried to scramble to make her less sad.
      Last edited by KittyEmpress; 06-11-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
        Sweet, love the idea of Forbidden Gods. I hope we get some more named ones (most I remember were generic except the wonderful cannibalism god in the East).
        This goddess almost always leaves a lasting impression:

http://boneandebony.livejournal.com/2285.html

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

Comment

I recall someone at one point cooking up a god of nails, who had a rather erotic fascination with hammers, particular artifact diremauls and whatnot.

I once cooked up a rather bland river goddess - but her gimmick was that she had been aiding a local river pirate lord, who was her lover. She was really pissed the players offed the pirate lord, and demanded that they find her a suitably handsome and charming replacement lover, otherwise there'd be hell to pay.

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

In our game, our dawn caste is a drunken destruction hobo. Someone botched an astrology roll, and now "The God of Poor Choices Made While Drunk" is hounding the dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              As much as I like Lytek, I imagine both him and Ryzala's reason for exigents would be suspect if not illegal.

Honestly, the canonicity of Lytek's purview in 3e is kind of debatable in the first place.

Me i changed him into a god of memories and remembrance, what gets him out of that weird place of having a weirdly specific/niche domain that still must also be imensely powerful - while his story hooks and portrayal mostly intact. With Parad things were much easier, as "Inherited Might" can be a reasonably broad concept that is far from limited to the Dragon-Blooded.

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
              I recall someone at one point cooking up a god of nails, who had a rather erotic fascination with hammers, particular artifact diremauls and whatnot.

I once cooked up a rather bland river goddess - but her gimmick was that she had been aiding a local river pirate lord, who was her lover. She was really pissed the players offed the pirate lord, and demanded that they find her a suitably handsome and charming replacement lover, otherwise there'd be hell to pay.
              This makes me think of a game i once set, where a lake goddess found out about a river god with a taste for the attention of local village maidens - and then went and seduced the river god (that was basically a lecherous Okuto, with a claw strider/mandarin duck alternate form), getting his attention and to make part of her work for her and the thanks/worship of the villagers, that weren't pressed by the river god for female company anymore.

(What didn't stop either deity from getting the occasional petitioner/fling on the side, but that's another story - specially when the goddess last conquest/hostage turned out into more than she bargained for)

Also made funny minor elementals like the cabbage-born, that could really, really blur the lines between human and supernatural.
              Last edited by Baaldam; 09-13-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I had a Mary Poppins knock-off God of Childcare. Nameless because she never appeared in the game. Long ago, Venus cheated in the Games of Divinity and as punishment Sol stabbed her with his spear. Every inch of the Maiden's body was a constellation representing a God under her purview, and the attack blasted their star out of the sky, killing the God. This Starmetal was forged into the core of a Black Jade Daiumbrella with a head on the handle who spoke in the slain God's voice and compelled the bearer to seek out children to tend to.

There was also Daucus Carota, the God of Carrots. He was a recurring character with an ultimate plan to overthrow the God of Vegetables. He'd show up periodically and switch the player's rations for carrots.

Comment

Jishu Xing, God of Technicalities and Nice and Accurate Wording

Rumors say that in the first age, a Sidereal once used End Debate to permanently make Jishu incorruptible ... And he showed up to work the next day with a smile and no visible effects. The truth of this is unknown, but even Elder Sidereals don't discount it.

Jishu Xing is a scrupulously honest and proper God, as well as one of the biggest scoundrels in Heaven. He has been audited many times, only to be exonerated in each case. At the mention of his involvement, Celestial Lions throw up their hands in despair. He has a very properly sized (if only just) Celestial Manse, and an appropriate Salary (on the very high end for his rank). He is a God of Abstract Matters, and he consults for the Forbidding Manse of Ivy, at the request of the Maiden of Secrets. He was very helpful to the Maidens in helping devise the nature of their rebellion against the Primordials.

Jishu will countersign any Astrology Petition a Sidereal asks him to, provided they affirm and swear that the astrology is permissable under the Laws of Heaven. Every prayer, from mortals, exalts, or other gods is duly written up and reported as a bribery attempt ... and filed by his archivist, a lesser god of madness. His archive contains thousands of years of records, sorted in no way even the God of Filing can comprehend.

However, Jishu is ultimately and entirely properly concerned with his (technical) righteousness. He will reveal the exact nature of his association with any God or Exalt to a Censor if asked, which has led to multiple convictions, and prevents most Censors from holding a grudge. He has a Sealed Warrant from the Maiden of Secrets which authorizes him to use the Gold Canal (apparently) whenever he wishes.

Foolish gods and exalts conspire with him. Wise ones can seek out his counsel. He is owed favors by a wide variety of gods. He has always been fond of members of the Eclipse Caste.

Comment

EDITION WARNING: This deity doesn't work with the way 3E rules work. I still liked her enough to go find her write-up, though.

Jai-Li, Goddess of the Celestial Practice of the Resplendent Bulb of Understanding

Jai-Li is a six-armed woman, otherwise appearing as a normal, if nine foot tall, woman. Her skin is the bronzed flesh of a lean, toned warrior, and her hair would kiss the ground were she to take it out of the elaborately braided array she wears it in. Piercing green eyes can flash with anger, but her usual mein is a perfectly inscrutable facade.

Jai-Li is the goddess of the Celestial Martial Arts ... well, at least the Celestial Exalted practice of the Celestial Martial Arts. And therein lies the rub, and the reason she supports the Cult of the Illuminated. What was once a minor loophole in her purview, has become a major chink in her armor. Other than the Sidereal Exalted, and the (very) occasional Lunar, the vast majority of those practicing Celestial Martial Artists are the Immaculates. Due to her subordinate's close ties with the Bronze Faction (he was apparently involved in helping to disseminate and teach the Immaculate Styles), she has seen her pay and office whittled away, bit by bit as he claimed authority over the Immaculate Martial Arts.

Jai-Li will tutor any Celestial Exalt in a martial art. This is considered part of the Mandate of the Exalted since the high first age, and cannot result in censure. For Sidereal Exalted without dots in Sifu, Jai-Li is probably their teacher. However, Jai-Li will only teach the Exalt the 'proper' style for them, determined by a criteria understood only by herself. This may include styles thought long lost to creation (at least one young Exalt has recently been learning something called Thousand Wounds Gear Style, which is entirely unknown in the heavenly archives).

As part of her support for the Garden of Heaven camp of the Cult, Jai-Li has managed to get a ban on teaching any Celestial Martial Arts to the Dragonblooded at the Garden. She is aware and unhappy about Venerable Silk's training at the Hidden Tabernacle, but has been able to be placated thus far. Jai-Li likes to think she is safe from Censors, due to her remit to teach the Exalted, but her donations and assistance to the Cult have gone past what is proper, and should it become necessary, Patient Viper is prepared to blackmail her with the release of this information.

Comment

Tan Mo Dei, Daimyo of the Exalted Practice of Shaping Sorcery

Tan Mo Dei is a relative newcomer, being created for the office he holds after the Primordial War, when Brigid discovered that there was no God for Sorcery. Given the usefulness of Sorcery to the Exalted, his rise in power was astronomical. Somewhat reduced in station after the Usurpation, he is is still a powerful Celestial God, whose favor is often sought by those who seek sorcerous power.

Tan Mo Dei appears most often as a spinning set of jewel rings, uncountable in number, all revolving around a central axis, his booming voice echoing from that center. The outermost rings are of emerald, shading through sapphire and into adamant as one looks closer to the center, all covered in almost invisibly fine engraving in Old Realm.

Tan Mo Dei, in either his fully divine form or else as an aged but hale man, with a great beard of the color of his rings, and a staff written with his engraved runes, does his best to appear impartial in any political matter. He offers knowledge, but what someone chooses to do with it is their decision. As such, he often remains aloof from any Heavenly politics. This is because secretly, Tan Mo Dei is afraid of being revealed to be somewhat powerless. The gods did not create Sorcery, and though he is as conversant with the rules and spells of it as the combination of the most experienced sorcerors, he cannot actually cast sorcery beyond the Terrestrial Circle. (His divine authority does allow him to use the effects of Sapphire and Adamant Countermagic, however this is a divine power and not actual sorcery).

Tan Mo Dei is covertly supporting the Cult of the Illuminated in an effort to regain some of his standing in Heaven. Initially unsure about the return of the Solar Exalted, the fallout of the sorcerous battles between Sidereal backed Realm Legions and the Bull of the North's Circle had an extremely salubrious effect on his popularity in Heaven. Although Initiation, even in the Silurian model is up to the individual Sorceror, Tan Mo Dei is helping the Garden of Heaven train Solars to reach the Circle of Adamant, but only those who visit the Ten Thousand Tea Gardens of Chien. Tan Mo Dei will not leave Heaven. (Rumors that this is due to a falling out with Raksi are often bandied about, but there is no proof). This training is hindered by two factors.

Firstly, Tan Mo Dei, though appreciative of the Silurian notation, and the Salinian Working, has a pedant's appreciation for the works of Devon, and tends to use abstruse technical terms while speaking of sorcery (the better to impress others with his power and knowledge). For sorcerors who have self-initiated or begun in a different tradition (as many Twilight Caste do, either before or while at the Garden) this makes for an additional barrier to learning.

Secondly, Tan Mo Dei does not have access to the archives of Solar Circle Spells. While within the purview of his office, the Bronze Faction long ago suborned the archivist in charge of the Solar Circle, using him to help identify and forecast the powers of the Solars for the Usurpation. After the loss of the Tepet Legions, this friendship has been reinforced with bribes and status. Seeking to remain on good terms with all of Heaven, and not yet ready to openly provoke the Bronze, Tan Mo Dei is stepping carefully. Should he have a student achieve the final Initiation, their first spells will likely be evolutions of lower circle spells, such as Adamant Countermagic, Adamant Banishing, or Demon of the Third Circle.
                      Last edited by Scrollreader; 09-15-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrollreader View Post
                        EDITION WARNING: This deity doesn't work with the way 3E rules work. I still liked her enough to go find her write-up, though.
                        It’s very minor what actually changes.

While there’s no longer a distinct category of Martial Arts called 'Celestial Martial Arts' there is still a Celestial/Mastery level of practicing Martial Arts that Dragon-Blooded can’t normally reach and it would be on brand for a department in Yu-Shan to call that something like The Resplendent Bulb of Understanding.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

So... do martial arts have gods in 3E or not? I'm a bit confused

Comment

Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post
                            So... do martial arts have gods in 3E or not? I'm a bit confused
                            The issue is that in 1-2E, Martial Arts were divided into three tiers. Terrestrial, Celestial, and Sidereal. It was difficult and rare to practice the ones above your pay-grade, as it were. But everyone practiced Snake Style as a Celestial Martial Art. Same rules and everything.. But a regular DB couldn't do it without years of training. Immaculates all could, because that's what the Cloister was for, and all the Immaculate Styles were Celestial Martial Arts, roughly balanced with Solar Charms for power, usable in all armor, and with unique benefits for the Dragonblooded.

In 3E, this sort of difference between martial arts expertise is represented with the Terrestrial and Mastery keywords. So while the Immaculates are still uniquely better with martial arts than other DB, there's less of a fundamental division between Tiger and Water Dragon as Celestial and Jade Mountain and Five Dragon as the somewhat worse Terrestrial styles. (It's significantly more complicated than that. Some TMA had great charms, some CMA were not as well designed. But that was the underlying metaphysical principle of MA in previous editions, that it was gated somewhat similarly to sorcery in theme)

TL;DR MA probably still has gods in 3E, but a fair bit of this character's specific grievances and motivations are based on a world in which martial arts is divided into formal levels, similar to sorcery.
                            Last edited by Scrollreader; 09-19-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Ah, so there can still be a god for each individual martlal art? I was wondering about that because I'm making an occult supernal Eclipse who is also a void point swordsman, and I was thinking of creating a 'patron god' of my style through the occult power that lets you build a spirit familiar from scratch. Now I'm wondering if that would be a legal move or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post
                                Ah, so there can still be a god for each individual martlal art? I was wondering about that because I'm making an occult supernal Eclipse who is also a void point swordsman, and I was thinking of creating a 'patron god' of my style through the occult power that lets you build a spirit familiar from scratch. Now I'm wondering if that would be a legal move or not.

So a thing with "gods of a thing" is that the positions are decided by Heaven. Making a spirit of your style should be fine.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                                Many Limbed Manual
                                Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                                San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                                My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Working...
                                X