[PEACH] Monkey Style (Work in Progress)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elkovash
    started a topic [PEACH] Monkey Style (Work in Progress)

[PEACH] Monkey Style (Work in Progress)

Monkey Style
    Monkey is a jaunty, skittish style that promotes sudden and random movements to offset their opponent’s balance, both physical and mental. Adherents to its philosophy find themselves loudly confident in their own ability and mocking of all others, insisting opponents prove their worth before the Monkey Stylist ceases playing games. The core of the style is a rigorous training regimen and perfection of the most basic techniques - one cannot be simply arrogant, they must support their own importance by internalizing their craft and carrying it deep in their heart; their confidence comes not from pride, but knowledge and surety in their own abilities, a side of the style very few detractors have ever witnessed.

Monkey Weapons:Monkey Style is incompatible with all weapons and may only be practised barehanded.

Armour: Monkey style may be practised in light armour.

Complementary Abilities: Monkey Style benefits from skills and abilities that enhance the Martial Artist’s intuition and guile as trickery is the foundation of their skills. They also benefit from the mobility afforded by Athletics and Dodge.

Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Clash, Withering-Only, Terrestrial, Mastery
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: None
    The monkey distracts aggressors by misdirecting their attention away from her swift counterstrike, playing the fool and appearing helpless but returning such aggression to a startled opponent; tripping them up on their own cloaks or bouncing their projectiles back to them. So long as the Monkey stylist has not yet taken any combat actions in the scene, they may activate this Charm in response to any attack targeting them to reflexively make a withering clash, gaining bonus dice to their attack equal to their guile. This bonus decreases by one each time this charm is activated in a single scene.
    Terrestrial: A Dragon-Blood may only activate this charm up to their Essence times in a single combat, and may not damage ranged attackers.
    Mastery: Reflexive counterattack and clash charms from any Martial Arts ability do not count as combat actions for the purposes of this charm's limitations.

Foe's Hand Emptying Paw
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Decisive-Only, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charms: Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure
    A monkey is tricky and crude, but never dishonourable - for that would be a flaw! Their opponents may come at them with weapons in hand but the noble monkey corrects their mistake for them, it's only fair after all. This charm is a special disarm gambit that, if successful, can hurl the target’s weapon out to short range or drive it into the ground, a piece of scenery, or tangle it in something at close range. Retrieving a weapon so embedded or tangled requires a difficulty 2 feat of strength.
    Mastery:The Martial Artist adds their essence score to the difficulty of the feat of strength to retrieve the embedded or tangled weapon. If the Martial Artist chooses to hurl the weapon away instead, it is flung to medium range.

Panoply as Playground Antics
    Cost:3m; Mins:Martial Arts 3, Essence 2
    Keywords: Uniform
    Prerequisite Charms: Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure
    As a monkey swings from branch to branch so too do the weapons of their enemies invite the playful agility of their jungle home, twisting and swinging around their enemy’s attacks with increasing vigor and sense of fun. The Martial Artist may activate this charm in response to an attack targeting them from close range, stripping one initiative from the opponent and granting it to the Martial Artist prior to the attack landing. The amount of Initiative stripped by this charm increases by one for each enemy standing in close range to the Martial Artist.

Monkey Form
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2
    Keywords: Form
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Foe's Hand Emptying Paw, Panoply as Playground Antics
    Adopting the careless grace and confident air of the Monkey the Martial Artist exudes recklessness and abandon in combat, transforming every fight into a child-like game whose rules are known only to the Monkey. Hopping about their enemies, interposing any random scenery in between them and exalting in the frustration they cause their opponents and finding humour in even the most inane exchanges. Upon adopting this form, the Martial Artist makes a (Manipulation + Presence + Essence) roll against all their opponent’s Resolve. Those who fail to defend against this influence are instilled with a minor tie of confused hesitation towards the Martial Artist, taking half the Martial Artist’s Guile rounded down as a dice penalty on all attacks made against them. This penalty is doubled if the opponent is currently suffering initiative crash. Additionally, the Martial Artist can leverage the superior mobility afforded by dancing with a long pole and may treat all two-handed pole weapons like staves, long spears and halberds as form weapons for Monkey Style so long as Monkey Form remains active.

Special Activation Rules: If the Martial Artist successfully crashes a non-trivial opponent, they may reflexively activate Monkey Form.

Mocking Monkey’s Provocation
    Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2
    Keywords: None
    Prerequisite Charms: Monkey Form
    There are few who tolerate the unrefined and childish antics of the Monkey, but she cares less for their scorn than she does for their praise, inviting them to take her place atop the tree - if they can. The Martial Artist makes a [Manipulation + Presence] inspire action that, if successful, forces the target to attack the Martial Artist on their next available action. This effect cannot force an opponent to Join Battle or use a charm to give themselves an additional attack in combat, though doing so counts as attacking the Martial Artist for the purposes of this charm. Resisting this social action requires spending 2wp and opponents affected by the intimacy instilled by Monkey Form must spend 3wp.

Flowing Mirror of Opposition
    Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3
    Keywords:Uniform, Counterattack, Terrestrial, Mastery
    Duration:One Round
    Prerequisite Charms:Panoply as Playground Antics, Mocking Monkey Provocation
    Every tricky Monkey exalts in the simplest pleasures, imitating their foe’s movements with their own silly embellishments and laughing endlessly when such a simple tactic trips their target up, falling flat on their face. When activating this charm, the Martial Artist selects one opponent at close range to imitate. Every time the selected target takes an action during the charm’s duration, the Martial Artist mimics their motions to a different beat; This is considered a special withering counterattack against the selected target that does not grant the Martial Artist any initiative from damage. This withering damage takes place before the resolution of the opponent’s action and if the Martial Artist crashes an opponent in this way, it is the opponent’s target that gains the break bonus.
    Terrestrial: This charm gains the Perilous keyword.
    Mastery:If the Martial Artist crashes any opponent with this charm while suffering from initiative crash they gain the benefits of initiative shift even if their target was not the opponent who crashed them.

Faultless Dodging Method
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3
    Keywords: Withering-Only
    Prerequisite Charms: Mocking Monkey Provocation
    Everyone blames the Monkey when things get broken or fights break out between allies, but it's not his fault everyone else is so terrible at landing their hits! When the Martial Artist successfully defends against an attack using their Evasion they may elect another target within close range for the attack to strike instead with successes equal to the initial roll. This target may be any combatant in range, including allies, or any piece of scenery but may not be the character who is attacking.

Shining Trinket Fascination
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3
    Keywords: Terrestrial, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charms: Flowing Mirror of Opposition
    The Monkey has no need for such baubles and trinkets others adorn themselves with so readily, for he is handsome and wise and... very very curious. In response to an attack the Martial Artist applies their parry against, they may make a [Dexterity + Larceny] roll against the attacker’s evasion to pluck an item from their person, inspect it, and put it back - in a position more pleasing to the Martial Artist - subtracting their additional successes from the attacker’s roll. If the Martial Artist is aware of any intimacies the attacker possesses which would cause them to dislike the Martial Artist, they may add one non-charm dice to the roll for each intimacy known. The intimacy inflicted by Monkey Form always counts for this purpose, even if the Martial Artist has not made a read intentions action to reveal it.
    Terrestrial: The bonus dice added are considered dice added by a charm.
    Mastery: If the attacker has been inflicted by the intimacy from Monkey Form, they also subtract any 1’s or 2’s in their roll from their total successes.

Refined Monkey Understanding
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords:Mastery
    Duration: Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Shining Trinket Fascination, Faultless Dodging Method
    The ultimate truth of the Monkey is its own impression of self, a divine state of perfect understanding that proves their own ideals and puts right all their wily wrongs; a state none would ever dare to acknowledge, but all secretly fear. Upon activating this charm, the Martial Artist may treat all two-handed pole weapons as having the traits of heavy artifact weapons. This includes weapons such as staves, long spears, halberds and improvised weapons of similar shape. Additionally, if an opponent afflicted by the intimacy created by Monkey Form witnesses this awakening, the intimacy is automatically upgraded to Major intensity. Additionally, if the Martial Artist successfully crashes any such afflicted opponent, it is automatically increased in intensity once more. This effect is not permanent but cannot be eroded until the end of the scene it is first inflicted, nor in any scene where this charm is activated.
    Mastery: If the Martial artist is able to incapacitate an opponent in battle, any existing intimacy created by Monkey Form is automatically changed to a tie of admiration and respect towards the martial artist at the same intensity. This intimacy cannot be eroded until the afflicted either defeats the Martial Artist in combat or witnesses their defeat at the hands of another.
    Last edited by Elkovash; 06-10-2017, 09:58 AM.

• Mordekain
    replied
    All good points. In the mean time I've finished my modification of the style. It can be found here in case you where curious: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

If you have any feedback it would be most welcome as well. I'm still not that experienced in writing charms.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordekain View Post
    I really like your write-up, but I have a bunch of comments and suggestions.
    Oh, hey - thanks. Been a while since I looked at this so I'll be looking with 'fresher' eyes too :P

Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure: If I understand correctly it cannot be used, if you have taken a combat action. Yet it alludes that you would be able to use it multiple times. However doesn't the clash attack the Charm generates constitute a combat action? Also combat actions seems to include Attack, Aim, Defend Other, Draw/Ready Weapon, Full Defense and Miscellaneous Action (EX3: 196). It seems a bit excessive to not even allow Miscellaneous Actions. I would suggest replacing then no combat actions clause with the following: "Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure may only be use when attack by enemies with a higher Initiative. In addition, it cannot be used in any scene where the martial artist has success crashed an opponent or landed a decisive attack." This would mean it can be used against opponent that seems to have the upper hand (higher Initiative) until you prove yourself a dangerous combatant.
    The intent was that the reflexive clash didn't count as a combat action as far as the charm was concerned. And yes, the intention was that if you had participated in the combat already you can't use it, losing 2i per turn you want to keep using it (the cost for doing nothing)

Monkey Form: The dice pool is a bit ambiguous. Most Charms leave the Essence dice out of the equation and either state that you get Essence bonus dice or Essence non-charm bonus dice.
    'Adding essence extra dice' was just more words than I wanted to use. *shrug*

Also I would probably base it of Martial Arts rather than Presence since a form charm should in my opinion be at the very core of the style. Alternatively a case could be made for both Performance (Acting) and Socialize (Guile). Do you suffer the usual penalties for multiple targets and wordless social actions? Does the Intimacy persist after the scene ends? And more importantly can the Instill be resisted be spending a single Willpower as per the usual rules for Instill?
    Since I don't specify otherwise it should be assumed that the influence roll follows the same rules as any other social influence.

If that's underwhelming? I dunno. they are basically paying a wp tax to avoid a cap-breaker defense buff that the monkey only pays for once. Remember you can slide in and out of MA forms on your turn (and out of it if you're fulfilling reflexive effects) and only pay the cost of the most expensive one - there are only a few less expensive than 6m so I kept that in mind when costing it. also, the intimacy comes up again later in the tree for more effects. So it's possible for the monkey to retry the action every 2 rounds at least if it didn't stick the first time.

Mocking Monkey’s Provocation: Forcing someone to do something would be a persuade not an inspire. Also I would probably add that "hesitant confusion" ties towards the martial artist always supports this persuade attempt. On the other hand I would remove the willpower cost for resisting, since you can only resist persuade, if you can justify it with an intimacy in a decision point.
    I made it an inspire specifcally to avoid decision points, personally - though I could see a case for both. PUrsuade interacts with another sub-system (decision points) that extends the resolution of the action and I'd prefer a simpler solution in the midst of combat. If you want to tire people out and use up all their intimacies pursuade is better, though it would suffer from the drawback of retrying social actions. Also, you can totally WP away from inspires? point 3 on pg 219 EX3 core.

Flowing Mirror of Opposition: I had to read this several times to understand it. It seems complicated and really hard to know if you get anything from spending your action and the Charm cost on the activation. I'm not quite sure what to do with it though. I would probably making it a Manipulation + Performance roll reducing the successes of the target on their following action. If it cancels all successes it turns the opponent's roll into a botch.
    I made its cost similar to that melee charm that counterattacks everyone who tries to hit you because it's up for a whole round. I made it withering because it seemed to suit the idea of the charm and nixed the initiative gain because most other charms that do something similar do as well. The main goal here is to trip up someone else, not gain an advantage yourself (tricky monkey) but I added some flavour to help your allies and a mastery effect for REALLY tricky monkeys.

So what you get is essentially two things. Either you provoke your target into delaying their actions, hoping to avoid the counter attack - or you strip them of initiative before they get to attack (no matter who that is) this has the potential to no-sell a decisive by removing all their initiative or potentially dipping it below a hardness threshold. Think of it more of a ranged defensive charm rather than an attack charm.

Shining Trinket Fascination: I dont think the fluff and the effect adds up. Perhaps it should simply allow the martial artist to follow up a succesful pick pocket attempt with an incite action to incite rage. If the incite action succeeds the martial artist gains an Evasion bonus against the target until the target retrieves the item stolen or the incite action subsides.
    the fluff was meant to be a joke. The monkey is proud, you see - but foolish, unaware of (or unwilling to admit) their own curiosity. The effect again is a cap-breaking defense charm since you're penalising their attack rather than boosting your defence (a kind of theme in my version of monkey, if you notice)

Refined Monkey Understanding: Does the level of the tie actually matter? When I look through the Charms it doesn't seems to make a difference. Making normal weapons into artifact weapons seems a bit boring to me, since it reduces player interest in getting actual artifact weapons.
    It matters in so far as someone having an intimacy that you know of leaves them open to further influence - moreso if you manage to beat them and they are forced to adopt an intimacy of admiration they can't even attempt to get rid of for a while.

The weapons thing was mostly for improvised weapons, so you could pick up any old thing and smack someone with it more effectively - I hadn't considered the impact of using it on an artifact weapon but that was mostly because I was assuming a monkey wasn't using one (for some reason I can't recall right now).

That all said, now that it's a significant period of time later I would tweak, if not compeltely rebuild every charm in here now that I know more from playing and have a lot more experience making custom content for my players. But I'm unlikely to ever get to it unless someone specifically wanted Monkey in my games.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope I answered questions well enough.

Leave a comment:

• Amayad
    replied
    I

Refined Monkey Understanding: Making normal weapons into artifact weapons seems a bit boring to me, since it reduces player interest in getting actual artifact weapons.
    It does not make normal weapons into artifact weapons, it makes big sticks have the traits of Heavy melee artifact weapons. If you want to spend 10m 1wp and your action (it's a Simple charm, you know?) drawing an artifact-level beatstick with no Evocations? I won't stop ya.

I'll be siting over here with 5 more motes, all my WP, and Gnomon, reflexively entering Monkey Form on turn 1 with my tricksy Monkey King evocations.

Leave a comment:

• Mordekain
    replied
    I really like your write-up, but I have a bunch of comments and suggestions.

Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure: If I understand correctly it cannot be used, if you have taken a combat action. Yet it alludes that you would be able to use it multiple times. However doesn't the clash attack the Charm generates constitute a combat action? Also combat actions seems to include Attack, Aim, Defend Other, Draw/Ready Weapon, Full Defense and Miscellaneous Action (EX3: 196). It seems a bit excessive to not even allow Miscellaneous Actions. I would suggest replacing then no combat actions clause with the following: "Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure may only be use when attack by enemies with a higher Initiative. In addition, it cannot be used in any scene where the martial artist has success crashed an opponent or landed a decisive attack." This would mean it can be used against opponent that seems to have the upper hand (higher Initiative) until you prove yourself a dangerous combatant.

Monkey Form: The dice pool is a bit ambiguous. Most Charms leave the Essence dice out of the equation and either state that you get Essence bonus dice or Essence non-charm bonus dice. Also I would probably base it of Martial Arts rather than Presence since a form charm should in my opinion be at the very core of the style. Alternatively a case could be made for both Performance (Acting) and Socialize (Guile). Do you suffer the usual penalties for multiple targets and wordless social actions? Does the Intimacy persist after the scene ends? And more importantly can the Instill be resisted be spending a single Willpower as per the usual rules for Instill? If so the form seems underwhelming to me. Perhaps add a Mastery effect that prevents opponent from doing so? You could also add a Terrestrial effect capping the dice penalty with the rating of the intimacy instilled (which would make the finisher nicer for Terrestrials). I also think some sort of range limitation would be appropriate. My suggestion would be medium range. Finally as written it only seems to affect opponents upon activation. Perhaps new opponent moving within range should be affected by the original roll as well. All of this adds up to me suggesting gathering inspiration from the Agata's ability to create a tie of wonder. I would go with this: "Roll a Manipulation + Martial Arts with a number of bonus dice equal to Essence. While this Charm is active if someone finds themselves within medium range of the martial artist for the first time this scene compare the successes on the rolle to their Resolve. Unless their Resolve exceeds the number of successes on the roll they count as having having a minor tie of hesitant confusion towards the martial artist for the rest of the scene."

Mocking Monkey’s Provocation: Forcing someone to do something would be a persuade not an inspire. Also I would probably add that "hesitant confusion" ties towards the martial artist always supports this persuade attempt. On the other hand I would remove the willpower cost for resisting, since you can only resist persuade, if you can justify it with an intimacy in a decision point.

Flowing Mirror of Opposition: I had to read this several times to understand it. It seems complicated and really hard to know if you get anything from spending your action and the Charm cost on the activation. I'm not quite sure what to do with it though. I would probably making it a Manipulation + Performance roll reducing the successes of the target on their following action. If it cancels all successes it turns the opponent's roll into a botch.

Shining Trinket Fascination: I dont think the fluff and the effect adds up. Perhaps it should simply allow the martial artist to follow up a succesful pick pocket attempt with an incite action to incite rage. If the incite action succeeds the martial artist gains an Evasion bonus against the target until the target retrieves the item stolen or the incite action subsides.

Refined Monkey Understanding: Does the level of the tie actually matter? When I look through the Charms it doesn't seems to make a difference. Making normal weapons into artifact weapons seems a bit boring to me, since it reduces player interest in getting actual artifact weapons.
    Last edited by Mordekain; 10-02-2018, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Originally posted by gfrobbin84 View Post
    Just something to throw out there ELK about the staff use and why it is so associated with monkey style. Actual monkey style kung fu trains in the use of the staff in awkward ways like a monkey would, because the prisoner who developed the style by watching monkeys fight in the jungles outside his cell window routinely observed them fighting with sticks as well. I know this is creation and all and you got it done and seems solid and sure ducks is happy with it. But Martial Arts is something I have studied a lot and just wanted to point that out.
    Well, that's prob what I get for doing internet research - I wasn't able to find many versions of the Monkey style 'kung fu' that used weapons or tools, where one or two specialized styles used poles.

I don't know if it's worth changing though. I might sleep on it.

Leave a comment:

• gfrobbin84
    replied
    Just something to throw out there ELK about the staff use and why it is so associated with monkey style. Actual monkey style kung fu trains in the use of the staff in awkward ways like a monkey would, because the prisoner who developed the style by watching monkeys fight in the jungles outside his cell window routinely observed them fighting with sticks as well. I know this is creation and all and you got it done and seems solid and sure ducks is happy with it. But Martial Arts is something I have studied a lot and just wanted to point that out.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Originally posted by A Not Quite Simple Soul View Post
    Shining trinket fascination is worded a bit strange, I think it's supposed to apply a penalty to the target's next attack roll or something is that right?
    Thanks, I'll try to clear up the wording - it's supposed to be a defensive charm used again an attack directed at the monkey to decrease the chance of being hurt.

Leave a comment:

• A Not Quite Simple Soul
    replied
    Shining trinket fascination is worded a bit strange, I think it's supposed to apply a penalty to the target's next attack roll or something is that right?

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Originally posted by A Not Quite Simple Soul View Post
    Does distracted Monkey's countermeasure's mastery feature mean you no longer take the penalty for using it too often? It is an MA clash charm.
    The mastery effect refers to when the charm can be activated, not the compounding penalty for multiple activations. Though you've pointed out something I need to make clearer - it was never meant to preclude itself from being used.

Leave a comment:

• A Not Quite Simple Soul
    replied
    Does distracted Monkey's countermeasure's mastery feature mean you no longer take the penalty for using it too often? It is an MA clash charm.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Finally finished this one. Only a few minor tweaks and I found a way to do the capstone that I was happy with.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Skipped over Single Point Shining into the Void style as it's impossible to synergise due to weapon restrictions.

White Reaper;

- Falling Scythe Flash; Damage enhancer compatible with both armed and unarmed Monkeys, certainly helps drive opponents into crash which is where Monkey shines, especially when armed, it's a little on the expensive side when combined with any monkey withering attacks though, not something you can do turn after turn.

- Revolving Crescent Defense; I.. uh... I didn't know this existed... crap. I really liked Panoply as Playground antics too... I think I'll have to come up with something entirely different or find a way to make it sufficiently different. Thoughts for later...

- White Reaper Form; Hmmm. The way this is written makes it sound like the rest of the style mostly benefits from having Halos which i assume disappear if you drop the form though it doesn't say they do. You at least can't generate halos without it active and the special activation rule doesn't lend well to sliding between styles to gain more - this looks like White Reaper would be the setup style for Monkey compared to Tiger and Snake above where the reverse was true.

- Bleeding Crescent Strike; Ooo, accuracy booster that breaks cap. the bonus afforded by the halos is nice but not necessary. a Monkey would love to supplement its attacks with this; he doesn't have similar effects so its a welcome addition but doesn't break anything.

- Greatest Killer Attitude; We've been pretty offensive heavy so far and this is another damage booster which is something that really helps out the Monkey Stylist, even better it's compatible with the monkey form weapons from Refined Monkey Understanding and armour upgrade... hmmm... Again the Halo bonus is nice, but not worth ignoring the charm without it.

- Enemies Like Grass; yup, more offense which Monkey wants, even better, since white Reaper can be used unarmed this can be substituted for Snake in the Monkey crash, Snake shift, Tiger ripping combo from before. Good thing they can't both be used at the same time.

- Flickering Corona Barrier; A nice defensive charm that can help buff up Shining Trinket Fascination more, not that it needs it... maybe I should take away some of that charm's toys.

- Impenetrable White Shroud; Defensive boost that requires more set up from Reaper Style to fully take advantage of - covers form Monkey gaps or provides a great boon to an armoured monkey.

- Snow Follows Winter; Since it requires Reaper Form it's not that great for a dedicated Monkey fighter, but the myriad Monkey charms can support a dedicated Reaper well enough. I haven't found many double-up effects yet it mostly looks like Monkey plugs holes or Monkey's hols are plugged.

Overview; Most of the effects that use Halos are good enough without them to be worth picking up and this tree is highly offensive which benefits the Monkey a lot, especially when armed. I can't see any shattering combos though, it would all be about not taking hits and dealing large amounts of damage. A straight-forward strategy, but effective.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Tiger Notes;
    - Crimson Leaping Cat Technique; No direct synergies, the supplemental movement and added accuracy can certainly benefit some monkey charms but it would do the same to pretty much any style.

- Striking Fury Claws; a nice damage booster that plugs a hole for the weaponless monkey but doesn't synergise with an armed Monkey - this is something I anticipated and I'm glad to see its worked but we'll see how it holds against other damage boosters.

- Tiger Form; No synergies - special activation does't come into play with Monkey antics but you might be able to lead into Monkey with Tiger, I'll keep an eye on this.

- Celestial Tiger Hide; Soak booster that synergises fine so long as the Monkey doesn't pick up a weapon or wear medium armour.

- Iron Claw Grip; Monkey doesn't currently grapple or enhance decisives

- Prey-Maiming Frenzy; ditto

- Raging Tiger Pounce; This could be dangerous combined with Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure, knocking close range opponents prone in the first round then going full Tiger Style on them to tear them apart.

- Spine shattering Bite; Monkey can be used to set this up, possibly even bouncing from Monkey to Snake and really messing up a crashed opponent that manages to survive.

- Stalking Cat Movement Meditation; Wow, this synergises well with Snake for zone control and adding Monkey on top means it's really hard for people to get away from the Martial Artist and if they dare try they get hit harder and harder.

- Leap From Cloaking Shadows; Bwuah... it's a good thing Mocking Monkey's Provocation is a simple charm. This is the same combo from Stalking Cat Movement Meditation but adds to it to be deadlier - if you could provoke enemies outside of your turn with Monkey there would be zero chance of getting away.

- Angry Predator Frenzy; Okay so, the charm can only be activated alongside Tiger Form but it doesn't say that it drops off when the form charm is dropped which gives it great potential as a scene long buff. Mainly Monkey's want the decisive boost from here which is something they lack but the zone control with reflexive rushes is insane when combined with Snake and Monkey.

Overview; Tiger and Snake already synergize well for Zone control and Monkey has a few extra tricks to add to it, building initiative for the other two style's charms to capitalize on with their big decisives. On it's own though, tiger and Monkey don't have much to offer each other for direct synergies, but they do almost the opposite of each other, plugging holes for each style. Nothing breaks though, so so far so good.

Angry Predator Method has given me a few ideas to change up the Monkey Capstone though.

Leave a comment:

• Elkovash
    replied
    Slowly going through the other styles.

Snake Notes;
    - Serpentine evasion; Evasion booster, not cap breaking - synergy with some Monkey charms without busting anything (form style's attack penalty might need tweaking).

- Striking Cobra Technique; strong synergy with Monkey Form charm, big bonus to hitting crashed enemies - +1-2 successes on the attack and also +3-5 raw damage.

- Snake form - can't have both active at the same time, and while I can see an easy switch between forms via the special activation I don't yet see any particular advantage to doing so.

- Armor-Penetrating Fang Strike; nice synergy to increase some damage though expensive would make a good opening combo with Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure.

- Crippling Pressure-point Strike; No synergy. Confirms that I shouldn't have made Foe's Hand Emptying Paw a supplemental.

- Essence Fangs and Scales Technique; aaaaaand here's where switching between Monkey Form and Snake form can be an awesome combo... I like and don't think it's broken considering the cost of doing so. Using Monkey to force someone into crash (especially if you can pull off the Shift with Flowing Mirror) and rolling into Snake Form for a big decisive finisher

- Uncoiling Serpent Prana; With this and Mocking Monkey's Provocation you can be quite the battlefield controller, especially tied with Faultless dodging Method and anything that buffs their evasion. Still not breaking anything I don't think, but it certainly opens up your options.

- Snake Strikes the Heel; Clashing Ranged enemies is essence 2, eh? it even robs you of the reaped initiative... hmmm... might need to tune Distracted Monkey's Countermeasure to be similar (but different!) and then pop in a reset condition so it's not confined to the opening turn. good thing you can't stack clash charms. Also.. does Snake Strikes the Heel let you clash attacks that aren't directed at you? It seems to - a question for the question thread.

- Countless Coils Evasion; I like this as a defense charm, it doesn't directly synergise with Monkey but it does plug a fairly large hole (I left decisive defenses open) so long as the Monkey doesn't pick up a staff or pole weapon.. I think I might have to specify that seven-section staves don't count as form weapons for Monkey I had forgotten they were a thing.

- Essence Venom Strike; no direct synergies; but a Flowing Mirror shift into snake form followed by this charm enhanced with Striking Cobra would be fearsome; takes a bit of set up though so I wouldn't call it broken.

Overall: A Snake user would have to forgo light armour at first (-3/5 soak) and can't really take advantage of any of the soak boosters in the style without switching out forms. As it is, Monkey can set up Snake for its big strikes fairly well and all the defensive charms in both trees work well to keep you alive even without armour.

Side Note: I renamed all the charms from Celestial Monkey except Flowing Mirror, haven't come up with anything for that yet.

Next Up - Tiger.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X