[PEACH] New thaumaturgical rituals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PEACH] New thaumaturgical rituals

Like I mentioned in this thread, I'm thinking of running a mortals game in a parallel Creation where the Exalted don't exist but everything is mostly the same because [blah blah handwavium]. As such, I've been collecting a lot of thaumaturgy together to provide a unified power list for the PCs to pick from, and also been writing some of my own. Unfortunately, most of my experience is in 1e, so I'm not entirely sure about them and I'd appreciate feedback.

Note: I expanded a few of the Arts. Like, Elemental Summoning is now "The Art of the Elements" and involves controlling the basic elements as well in minor ways.
    I'm also probably going to reduce the Resources requirements for thaumaturgy in general, so some rituals that seem silly under the basic rules for casting probably make more sense keeping that in mind. Also, the titles are all in green because that's how I'm distinguishing the ones I wrote personally in my collected document.

The Art of Alchemy
    Maiden Tea(1, Intelligence, 2, one hour): The thaumaturge brews a batch of Maiden Tea (see Exalted, page 365).

The Art of the Dead
    The Baying of Hounds (3, Manipulation, 5, two days): This sadistic ritual makes the target irresistible to any hungry ghosts within a relatively large radius. It requires a large amount of blood spilled over a part of the target's body, such as a lock of hair or a bit of skin or teeth. If the ritual is successful, then the target becomes incredibly attractive to hungry ghosts, who can sense them if they are within the ghost's Perception in miles and will seek them out to the exclusion of all other prey, though not to the point of not being able to return to the grave before sunrise. While there are some parts of Creation where this is not a problem, in many places it is incredibly dangerous, and in some places is effectively a death sentence. The ritual lasts for a week.

The Art of the Elements
    Mela's Touch (0, Intelligence, 2, one minute): With a few quick words and the proper gestures, the thaumaturge's hand becomes ice-cold for a few moments. This won't cause any more harm than surprise to anything larger than an insect, but it can be used to easily cool drinks or provide some relief from the heat.
    Burst of Wind (1, Charisma, 2, miscellaneous action): The thaumaturge calls out to the local spirits of wind to direct their wrath against a single target. If successful, the target must avoid Knockdown from the sudden burst of wind with a Difficulty equal to the ritual's threshold successes.
    Inured to (Element) (1, Intelligence, 2, one scene): By performing the proper mudras and carefully exposing themselves to minute quantities of the appropriate element, the thaumaturge can protect themselves or another from natural effects. For one day, the target can soak environmental effects caused by the appropriate element using their Stamina.
    Light As a Feather (1, Intelligence, 2, ten minutes): By burning feathers and chanting to the spirits of the wind, the thaumaturge reduces their effective weight by half for a scene. All falling damage is reduced by half, successes on jumping rolls count double to determine distance traveled, and the difficulty of all swimming or climbing rolls is reduced by 2, but distance is doubled if the thaumaturge suffers knockback, damage over the thaumaturge's Stamina causes knockdown, and armor penalties are doubled.
    Shape Smoke (1, Wits, 2, one minute): By drawing on the Fire Essence inherent in smoke, the thaumaturge can exercise some control over it. This ritual allows the thaumaturge to direct the flow of smoke, either pushing it away or moving it into new shapes. Any volume up to the size of a house can be shaped, and can be as complicated as creating words or spelling out sentences. Shape Smoke lasts for one scene.
    Draw Out the (Element) Weapon (2, Intelligence, 4, one scene): There are two versions of this ritual, one for Wood and one for Earth, which forges a weapon out of a sufficient quantity of that element. The thaumaturge may choose the type of weapon, which acts in all ways like a Perfect version of its mundane counterpart. The weapon decays after a week.
    Reshape the (Element) (2, Intelligence, 4, four hours): There are two versions of this ritual, one for Earth and one for Wood. Both allow the thaumaturge to move quantities of that element, up to (Intelligence + Survival) cubic yards per casting. The new shape has no magical support and must be shaped into a configuration that can support itself, though it is possible to create larger structures with careful casting.
    (Element) Wyld Aegis (3, Intelligence, 5, one scene): There are four versions of this ritual, one for each of the Elemental Poles that borders the Wyld. By infusing their flesh with the Essence of the element, the thaumaturge can protect themselves against the mutating effects of the Wyld, albeit at painful cost to themselves. Any time they would be forced to make a roll to resist mutation based on the strength of the local Wyld, the Difficulty to resist mutation is instead converted to dice of Aggravated damage as the Essence within them scourges the Wyld from their flesh. Any damage inflicted cannot be healed until the thaumaturge ends the ritual, which requires one scene of upkeep to maintain every week (effectively an Apprentice ritual) but can otherwise last indefinitely. (Element) Wyld Aegis provides no protection against the attacks or powers of the Fair Folk, and cannot be used on others.

The Art of Husbandry
    Maiden’s Prayer (0, Wits, 2, five minutes): By burning a prayer strip to the Maidens and meditating on the Maiden of Endings, the target becomes unable to conceive or sire children for the next 24 hours. This ritual is not common, since Maiden Tea is longer-lasting and doesn't require personally preparing it.
    Wanderer's Blessing (0, Intelligence, 1, one scene): By performing a sacrifice of salt and saying a few words over the foodstuffs to be affected, this ritual prevents any decay or spoilage from occurring for 24 hours.

Cowing the Plague Gods (2, Manipulation, 3, one hour): With loud shouts and the banging of drums and cymbals, the thaumaturge intimidates the little god of whatever illness is affecting the target. For one day after this ritual is performed, the target is not contagious and the Morbidity of any disease they are suffering from will not increase. It must be performed anew every day to maintain its effects, for the plague gods are eager to do their work and need a constant threat to keep them from their appointed tasks. Requires Medicine.

The Art of Malfeas

Sense Taint (0, Perception, 2, one minute): The simplest rite of the Art of Malfeas is the ability to detect its denizens. Successful performance of this ritual can detect whether any demon has materialized within the last few days in a range of 10 yards per dot of the thaumaturge's Willpower. The number of days Sense Taint is effective is equal to the Permanent Essence of the materializing demon.

The Art of Spirit Beckoning
    Hunter Passes Over (0, Charisma, [6-Valor], one scene): [Prayer: Caltia] Caltia hunts constantly through the forests of Halta, but she will spare those who show no fear. Similarly, a sufficiently brave thaumaturge can call down a bit of her power to protect themselves from predatory animals. Until the next sunrise or sunset, whichever is firest, the target will not be attacked by any unintelligent animals. Attacking the animals or failing a Valor roll instantly ends the ritual.
    Rumor Walks the Forest (1, Charisma, 3, five minutes): [Prayer: Glorious Jade Branch] Glorious Jade Branch spends his time walking through the forests of Halta in a multitude of shapes talking with nearly everyone, and it's possible to use those connections to deliver messages over a long distance. The thaumaturge writes a message in their own blood, doing one or two levels of Bashing Damage depending on the message's length, on bark paper and performs the ritual and if successful, an animal will appear and receive the message. It can be carried to anyone in Glorious Jade Branch's territories and will arrive safely.
    Seek the Aid-Feather (1, Charisma, [7-Valor], one scene): [Prayer: Yesryk] Yesryk will occasionally bestow one of his feathers on hunters he finds worthy, but a far faster way to receive one is to bring valorous deeds to his attention. The thaumaturge makes an appropriate sacrifice and, while waving their hands through the smoke, recites a litany of the target's deeds. If the ritual is successful, a feather slowly floats down from above that will grant the recipient +1 to Survival rolls within the forests of the East. If the ritual is unsuccessful, Yesryk typically sends a hawk to mark the target with a scar to show his displeasure. Of course, killing the hawk is a sure way to draw down the god's vengeance. Specific glorious deeds in the past, such as participating in a sacred hunt, can reduce the ritual's Difficulty by 1.
    Hunter's Victory Feast (2, Charisma, [5-Resources], one scene): [Prayer: Caltia or Yesryk] After one of the sacred hunts carried out by the devotees of Yesryk, his followers usually hold a feast to celebrate, as well as to make sure that all parts of the animal are used. If this ritual is performed following the feast, then one participant receives a free extra Valor virtue channel; this can explicitly take them above their normal maximum number of virtue channels. Every additional success above the Difficulty doubles the number of participants who can be affected.

Walking with the Gods (3, Intelligence, 5, one scene): After a scene of meditation, the thaumaturge reaches within themselves and casts their spirit forth from their body, becoming immaterial. They are treated as dematerialized for all purposes, and may interact with spirits and be interacted with in turn. Note that their body does not dematerialize and may still be affected by anyone seeking to harm them. For every scene the thaumaturge remains outside their body past the first, they lose an additional point of Willpower. Walking with the Gods does not allow the thaumaturge to enter a Sanctum, and if subjected to any effect that would force them to materialize, they take (12 – remaining Willpower) dice of Aggravated Damage and are forced back into their body. *Edited*

The Art of Weather-Working
    Bolt from the Heavens (2, Charisma, 4, five minute): With a quickly-offered prayer to the storm gods, the thaumaturge can call down a bolt of lightning from an already-existing storm and direct it where they desire. A lighting bolt does 12L damage with the Knockback Keyword.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Dorchadas; 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM.

Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: Glorious Tree-Felling Prana and All-Encompassing Liquid-Carrying Methodology.

Originally posted by maelstromseeker
    Uh... While anyone could copy this into a Word doc or just squint, it may be helpful to edit this and change the font size. Just saying.
    Oh..hmm, it didn't look that small in the editor. I'll fix it.

Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: Glorious Tree-Felling Prana and All-Encompassing Liquid-Carrying Methodology.

Comment

I like them; especially The Baying of Hounds.

That reminds me... I need to update the Khaucon, don't I? That Procedure would mesh with them perfectly.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

These are really good, I always enjoy seeing more thaumaturgy. I do have a few quibbles, however.

Originally posted by Dorchadas View Post
        Burst of Wind (1, Charisma, 2, miscellaneous action): The thaumaturge calls out to the local spirits of wind to direct their wrath against a single target. If successful, the target must avoid Knockdown from the sudden burst of wind with a Difficulty equal to the ritual's threshold successes.
        Hm, obvious magical attacks seem somehow out of place in thaumaturgy, but I suppose it's not overpowered.

Draw Out the (Element) Weapon (2, Intelligence, 4, one scene): There are two versions of this ritual, one for Wood and one for Earth, which forges a weapon out of a sufficient quantity of that element. The thaumaturge may choose the type of weapon, which acts in all ways like a Perfect version of its mundane counterpart. The weapon decays after a week.
        Perfect equipment is gone as of 2.5, and this seems a bit... Charm like. Again though, not overpowered, especially as Enchantment can make perfect (or exceptional) equipment that lasts decades with a little more work.

[QUOTE=Dorchadas;n90562][SIZE=10px]Cowing the Plague Gods (2, Manipulation, 3, one hour): With loud shouts and the banging of drums and cymbals, the thaumaturge intimidates the little god of whatever illness is affecting the target. For one day after this ritual is performed, the target is not contagious and the Morbidity of any disease they are suffering from will not increase. It must be performed anew every day to maintain its effects, for the plague gods are eager to do their work and need a constant threat to keep them from their appointed tasks. Requires Medicine.[/Quote}

This seems like a Spirit Beckoning ritual.

[QUOTE=Dorchadas;n90562]Hunter Passes Over (0, Charisma, [6-Valor], one scene): [Prayer: Caltia] Caltia hunts constantly through the forests of Halta, but she will spare those who show no fear. Similarly, a sufficiently brave thaumaturge can call down a bit of her power to protect themselves from predatory animals. Until the next sunrise or sunset, whichever is firest, the target will not be attacked by any unintelligent animals. Attacking the animals or failing a Valor roll instantly ends the ritual.[/Quote}

This seems like a Husbandry ritual.

Walking with the Gods (3, Intelligence, 5, one scene): [COLOR=#000000]After a scene of meditation, the thaumaturge reaches within themselves and casts their spirit forth from their body, becoming immaterial. They are treated as dematerialized for all purposes, and may interact with spirits and be interacted with in turn. Note that their body does not dematerialize and may still be affected by anyone seeking to harm them. For every scene the thaumaturge remains outside their body past the first, they lose an additional point of Willpower.
        Dematerializing is a pretty impressive trick, even for the Exalted. I'm not sure what you could do to make it more on the Thaumaturgy power scale.

Currently writing for Exigents.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
          I like them; especially The Baying of Hounds.

That reminds me... I need to update the Khaucon, don't I? That Procedure would mesh with them perfectly.
          Thanks!

Hmm...looking through the Khaucon (Google turned up this thread), that might be the thing I was looking for to replace the deathknights.

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
          These are really good, I always enjoy seeing more thaumaturgy.
          Thanks!
          Hm, obvious magical attacks seem somehow out of place in thaumaturgy, but I suppose it's not overpowered.
          Perfect equipment is gone as of 2.5, and this seems a bit... Charm like. Again though, not overpowered, especially as Enchantment can make perfect (or exceptional) equipment that lasts decades with a little more work.
          In a game where the Exalted still existed I probably wouldn't use them because it's infringing on the same conceptual space, but without them I don't mind thaumaturgy getting magical attacks as long as they're 1) not "I cast fireball" and 2) crappy. I missed the Perfect thing because I haven't read all the errata in years, though. That's fixed.

This seems like a Spirit Beckoning ritual.
          This seems like a Husbandry ritual.
          Yeah, there's a lot of conceptual overlap in the various thaumaturgy categories. I moved Greeting the Sun (from GotMH) to Spirit Beckoning because it's explicitly a prayer to the Unconquered Sun, which is why I made Hunter Passes Over a Spirit Beckoning Ritual, because I wanted it to be a prayer to Caltia instead of more generally available. And I put Cowing the Plague-Gods in Husbandry because I put all the various healing-type rituals I found around the internet or adapted there. Cowing the Plague-Gods might work well in Husbandry and Spirit-Beckoning, the way Warding gets its rituals splashed all around everywhere. I think I'll do that.

Edit: I had a similar problem thinking up Art of the Elements rituals to affect wood, since most of the stuff that affects plants is explicitly already in Husbandry.

Dematerializing is a pretty impressive trick, even for the Exalted. I'm not sure what you could do to make it more on the Thaumaturgy power scale.
          Even with having to leave the body behind? Do you think that's not enough of a disadvantage?

Thank you for the feedback!

Comment

Wrote a few more.

The Art of the Dead
            Death Curse (2, Intelligence + Willpower, 3, miscellaneous action): Practiced thaumaturges can use the energies of their own death to fuel a baleful curse on their slayers. This ritual may only be cast if the thaumaturge is at the Incapacitated health level or below and is explicitly exempt from Wound Penalties. The thaumaturge always dies after its casting, but the thaumaturge's Willpower is added as a bonus to the dice pool. If successful, it acts as a limited version of the Eclipse oath—one botch, plus one per four threshold successes on the roll. It requires no materials or Resources expenditure to use.

The Art of the Elements
            (Poison) Extraction Method (1, Intelligence, 3, one scene): There are many versions of this ritual, one for every plant-based poison or toxin. It allows the thaumaturge to coax a plant to give up its natural poisons, sweating it out as a liquid which can then be bottled and used later. Most poisons keep for a month if properly stored, though some can last for a greater or lesser degree.

The Art of Enchantment
            Least Injury Talisman (1, Intelligence, 3, 10 hours): This ritual creates a simple talisman that protects the wearer from the next source of damage they take, increasing their soak against that attack by 2L/2B. After a single attack, the ward fails, though the same object can be re-enchanted later. Ongoing damage sources, such as environmental conditions or poison, bypass the talisman without triggering it.
            Lesser Injury Talisman (2, Intelligence, 4, 20 hours): As Least Injury Talisman, but it provides a soak of 4L/4B against a single attack.
            Injury Talisman (3, Intelligence, 5, 40 hours): As Least Injury Talisman, but it provides a soak of 6L/6B against a single attack.

The Art of Spirit Beckoning
            Righteous Sunlight Infusion (2, Charisma, [8-lowest virtue], 15 minutes): [Prayer: Unconquered Sun] The thaumaturge holds up their weapon to the sunlight during one of the set prayer times to the Unconquered Sun (dawn, noon, midafternoon, and twilight) and performs the proper purifications for their weapon. After the ritual is complete, a number of attacks made with that weapon equal to the wielder's lowest Virtue do Aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness. The Righteous Sunlight Infusion lasts no longer than sundown or sunrise, whichever occurs first. *edited*

The Art of Weather Working
            Call the Mists (1, Charisma, 3, 5 minutes): This ritual condenses a mist out of the air around the thaumaturge, plunging a 50 yard radius per threshold success on the roll into a dense fog (see Exalted, page 135). The duration of the mist depends on the local terrain—in the deep South it may only last a few minutes, whereas in the Black Chase it might last for hours or even days.
            Last edited by Dorchadas; 06-24-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Just want to say I really like that Death Curse.

Mela's Touch is cool... as is Burst of Wind. And I really like Bolt from the Heavens.

Comment

Originally posted by Arteliex View Post
                Just want to say I really like that Death Curse.
                Mela's Touch is cool... as is Burst of Wind. And I really like Bolt from the Heavens.
                Thanks!

Though I realized that Death's Curse really needs a note that it explicitly doesn't cost any Resources, otherwise it's basically impossible to use as written...

I actually want to include some kind of Essence-OK keyword to tag rituals where it's fine to replace the Resources cost with Essence for Enlightened thaumaturges. I can see why it got errataed away, so people couldn't have Enlightened thaumaturges use the Art of Alchemy or the Art of Enchantment to churn out dozens or hundreds of magical goods, but there's a lot of thaumaturgy it should be fine for.

Comment

I wrote a few more.

The Art of the Elements

Message on the Wind (2, Charisma, 4, one hour): Many thaumaturges make a reasonable living simply performing this ritual for clients who don't want to trust letters to the postal service or to travelers. It allows the caster to summon a small air elemental that will carry a brief spoken message (about thirty seconds long) to another target up to 20 miles away per point of the thaumaturge's permanent Willpower. The elemental travels at 50 miles an hour. This ritual is not infallible, however—the elemental is not very intelligent and can only be told to go to a specific place, not a person. In addition, it's possible for another party to intercept the message during it's transit. *edited*
                  (Element) Attunement Meditation (3, Intelligence, 5, four hours): Spending time in meditation surrounded by the appropriate element, the thaumaturge can make it easy to move through terrain of that element. At any time up to one week after the casting of the ritual, the thaumaturge can spend 1 Willpower and for a scene, they treat terrain of that element as open terrain, similar to the first effect of the spell Becoming the Wood Friend.

The Art of Enchantment
                  Least Disease Talisman (1, Intelligence, 3, 50 hours): Create a charm against disease, providing a +1 bonus to rolls. See Exalted, page 379.
                  Talisman of the Unbroken Earth (1, Intelligence, 2, 15 hours): The thaumaturge creates a talisman from the paw of a Dog of the Unbroken Earth. See Exalted, page 298.
                  Household Sickness Guardian (2, Intelligence, 5, 250 hours): Creates a stationary talisman that will protect a house and all within from disease, providing a +2 bonus to rolls. This bonus only applies to those who are physically inside the house. See Exalted, page 379.
                  Lesser Disease Talisman (2, Intelligence, 4, 100 hours): Create a charm against disease, providing a +2 bonus to rolls. See Exalted, page 379.
                  (Weapon) of Intangible Mastery (2, Intelligence, 3, 75 hours): There are a number of version of this ritual, one for each kind of weapon. If the ritual is successfully performed, anyone afterward who holds the weapon may spend 1 Willpower point and strike dematerialized creatures for a scene.
                  Disease Talisman (3, Intelligence, 5, 200 hours): Create a charm against disease, providing a +3 bonus to rolls. See Exalted, page 379.

The Art of Weather Working
                  Weather Ward (0, Manipulation, 1, miscellaneous action): The weakest of weather-workers know the procedures to keep weather off of themselves, even if they can't affect anything greater. A Weather Ward prevents rain from falling on the thaumaturge and keeps their hair calm in wind, though it fails in the face of strong- or Essence-powered weather.
                  Clearing the Skies (3, Charisma, 6, four hours): The thaumaturge chants to the heavens, imploring the Court to end any ongoing weather effects. If successful, the wind dies down, the clouds vanish, and the temperature returns to the seasonal average. The effects last one day per threshold success or until the ritual is overcome by more powerful magics.
                  Last edited by Dorchadas; 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Reading about the Khaucon and Revlid's Underworld gave me a few more ideas.

The Art of The Dead
                    Leash of Salt (1, Manipulation, target's MDV, three hours): Ghosts are easy to summon, and that principle applies to hungry ghosts as well. But unlike ghosts, hungry ghosts can easily be controlled as long as the thaumaturge is careful to exploit their natural rage. This ritual requires that the thaumaturge have access to the hungry ghost's body, as well as incense from flowers that bloom only in a shadowland and a large amount of salt. If successfully performed, all orders from the thaumaturge to that particular hungry ghost become Unnatural Mental Influence that the hungry ghost must spend 1 Willpower per scene to ignore. Hungry ghosts are typically willing to go along with orders to hunt and kill targets, but they will ignore orders to stand guard or to perform menial tasks. Any attempt to order a hungry ghost to remain out of its body past sunrise or to do anything if killing its murderer is an available option immediately ends the ritual and probably results in the hungry ghost attacking the thaumaturge. Leash of Salt lasts for a season or until the hungry ghosts spends 6 Willpower resisting its effects.
                    Letters From Creation (2, Intelligence, 2, one scene): This ritual allows the thaumaturge to pass a message to any ghost whose name they know. If the thaumaturge is in physical presence to (or is) one of the ghost's fetters, the message is transmitted instantly, otherwise it arrives at midnight. The message must be written in black ink on pure white paper, and then the letter ceremonially burned in a place where no sunlight falls.
                    Sun-Walking Charm (2, Intelligence, 4, 50 hours): This ritual is similar to Pierce Shadowland, except it creates a charm that allows the wearer to enter Creation when leaving a shadowland no matter what time of day it is. The wearer does not have to spend Willpower to active the charm, and in fact cannot avoid its effects without throwing it away. A variant ritual, called Shade-Walking Charm, creates an opposite talisman where the wearer always enters the Underworld instead.

Comment

Oh, I should mention something else I've done. I didn't like how all thaumaturgy requires Occult, since "Occult is about doing magic stuff" doesn't make sense in terms of Creation's metaphysics and it works against the idea that all kinds of people know a ritual or two even if they aren't full-blown shamans or scavenger lords or whatever. So, I changed the required abilities for the various arts like so:

The Art of Alchemy: Craft (Water)
                      The Art of Astrology: Occult
                      The Art of Bioenhancement: Medicine
                      The Art of the Dead: Lore
                      The Art of the Elements: Lore
                      The Art of Enchantment: Occult
                      The Art of Geomancy: Craft (Earth)
                      The Art of Husbandry: Survival
                      The Art of Malfeas: Lore
                      The Art of Spirit-Beckoning: Performance
                      The Art of Warding and Exorcism: Occult
                      The Art of Weather-Working: Performance.

Comment

Easy fix for the Essence thing; Essence can only be used to replace the reagent costs of rituals with effects that last no more than one scene or one day, unless specified otherwise.

Art of Elements:
                        Birthing the Inferno (0, Dexterity, 1, Miscellaneous): Pretentious names aside, this is perhaps the single most common thaumaturgical ritual in all of Creation - though the vast majority of users have no idea why striking steel to flint releases sparks, nor why tinder burns as well as it does. Successfully invoked, the ritual starts a small fire. The ritual can also be performed with Craft Fire instead of Occult. Performing this ritual without flint or steel, usually by snapping one's fingers, has been the sign of an Enlightened Thaumaturge since long before the First Age.
                        Inner Beauty Revealed (0, Charisma, 1, Miscellaneous): With a few whispered words of encouragement, and a bit of light focused in the right way, the thaumaturge causes a budding flower to bloom. This ritual, along with its counterpart, is commonly used by thaumaturges to preserve and prepare reagents, as necessary. It is also used in gardens to set up specific flower arrangements, and in many courting ceremonies. It also sees some use in farming, especially bee farms.
                        Inner Beauty Concealed (0, Manipulation, 1, Miscellaneous): The counterpart to Inner Beauty Revealed, causing a blossoming flower to revert to a bud using a few cautioning words and some cold water.
                        Tongue Of Flame (2, Wits, 3, Fifteen Minutes): This ritual involves the use of highly flammable reagents - usually firedust or alchemical weapon fuel - to create a build-up of fire-aspected essence, simulating the conditions to create a least elemental of flame. Then, just as the essence reaches the critical point, the thaumaturge destabilises the reaction and internalises it, committing either one point of temporary willpower or one mote of essence if Enlightened. Completing the ritual requires releasing the commitment and spending one miscellaneous channeling the built up essence into a blast of fire. The blast can be aimed at a target up to ten metres away using ([Dexterity or Wits]+[Archery or Thrown]) and deals 6L damage. Unenlightened mortals age twice as fast while maintaining this ritual. The unfinished ritual is also very easy to detect; it can be noticed with a reflexive (Perception+[Awareness or Occult]) roll against a difficulty of 3 - to Essence sight, it is Obvious.
                        Last edited by Lord Sia; 04-20-2014, 12:30 PM.

Aretii: "As one of the players described it, 'After initiation, it was actually a relief seeing who had eyepatches or bandaged hands - you know what they sacrificed, instead of wondering what bits people cut out of their own souls to gain power.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sia View Post
                          Art of Elements:
                          Inner Beauty Revealed
                          Inner Beauty Concealed
                          I really like these. Like I mentioned, my first response is to put anything involving plants into the Art of Husbandry, but these are a great fit for Elements.

Comment

Got tipped off that Masters of the Industrial Elements had some thaumaturgy in it, and the long-distance communication in there made me think I should modify one of my rituals, so here's the new version:

Edit: Oh, hey, I can still edit. I edited the original above to prevent confusion.
                            Last edited by Dorchadas; 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Righteous Sunlight Infusion is much more powerful than the Scroll of Kings versions. They're restricted (ghosts or demons only depending on the ritual), Master-class and have further requirements (such as the weapon being coated in gold or silver for demons). Aggravated damage to all CoDs is much broader and will affect creatures (such as Infernals) who wouldn't fall under either of the other rituals. Even Golden Janissaries have trouble inflicting agg -- it takes their capstone charm to do (Essence) agg dice.

Similarly, Weapon of Intangible Mastery seems much stronger than Dishonest (Creature)'s Rebuke from the Art of Warding and Exorcism in Oadenol's Codex, which requires one willpower per attack. While I'm pretty sure there are separate weapon enchantments to strike ghosts, gods, demons and elementals without that, Rebuke seems to be aimed at the "you do the prep then get it when you need it rather than having to reapply the enchantment every week or after a battle" -- (Weapon) of Intangible Mastery would fill the same niche but better.

Walking with the Gods needs clarification. You've given it a casting time of one scene when I assume that's meant to be the base duration. How does it interact with things like sanctum gates or effects that force you out of immateriality? Again, very strong for a thaumaturgical ritual -- keep in mind that there's a specialized Terrestrial spell just to enter a sanctum, and it would be a bit off for it to be completely outclassed by a thaumaturgical ritual.

Checking through this stuff just reminds me how weird thaumaturgy is. Hell, according to the given standard costs for thaumaturgical rituals seven bounties paste costs more to make than it does to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X