Anima Stunts or Exalted Miracles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anima Stunts or Exalted Miracles

So I was reading the Feats of Strength thing. It had an example of an Exalt holding up a collapsing building for a few minutes while his circle went and saved everyone inside. I then had this vision in my head of an Exalt flaring his anima to Bonfire levels to allow it to encompass something entirely and use his power to do... stuff! And then I thought about the Miracle mechanics from Godbound and my brain started coming up with cockamamie ideas. I'm not entirely sure where to go with this so I was hoping to present it to the forum and maybe develop this idea into something viable.

Anyway the notion I had was that the Exalt could describe some ridiculous, impressive thing that he wants to accomplish, something that would probably be impossible otherwise. Then he'd spend 15 motes and maybe some willpower, flaring to Iconic/Bonfire and stretching that anima display to encompass everything involved in what he's trying to do. Crazy crap, like holding up buildings, holding back a tsunami, probably other things that aren't so physical in nature, right? And then extended rolls start up, using whatever ability/attribute combination the ST thinks is appropriate. Extended rolls would probably be the name of the game.

Maybe even allow it to mimic, in a pinch, a charm that the Exalt doesn't actually have access to yet, though obviously that'd also require spending the resources required for that charm, and maybe some extra willpower.

So, yeah, is this idea stupid? I'd like to think it could be made into something functional...

I think the problem is that unless the cost is immense it is clearly superior to charms. Godbound have a fairly small number of gifts while Solars have a large number of charms. An omnicharm like this removes the point of entire branches of some abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
      I think the problem is that unless the cost is immense it is clearly superior to charms. Godbound have a fairly small number of gifts while Solars have a large number of charms. An omnicharm like this removes the point of entire branches of some abilities.
      Well, the idea was that it was supposed to be stupidly expensive. Is 15 motes, willpower, and an inability to hide your actions not good enough? What would be?

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
        I then had this vision in my head of an Exalt flaring his anima to Bonfire levels to allow it to encompass something entirely and use his power to do... stuff! And then I thought about the Miracle mechanics from Godbound and my brain started coming up with cockamamie ideas. I'm not entirely sure where to go with this so I was hoping to present it to the forum and maybe develop this idea into something viable.
        Excellencies. You're thinking of excellencies.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcrackers View Post
          Excellencies. You're thinking of excellencies.
          No, no I'm pretty sure that nothing I presented was remotely similar to an excellency.

Comment

Depends on how. Athletics excellently backed with Str charm. with a an awesome stunt, like " I use my anima to wrap around the building, reinforcing for a minute to try to save Everyone!!". The the fest of Str.

Comment

Okay, then you're describing a forcefield power, and honestly, that's not really a Solar thing.

The rule is, if a human can do it, a Solar can do it way better, and with Essence.

Comment

I've always been of the opinion that your anima is fluid, and responds to your motions and actions, appearing to guide or support your actions. It moves with you, and is not a static thing. If you are injured, a wolf anima might rear back and howl. A tiger will swipe with its claws as you strike with your sword.

I don't know how I feel about having your anima do things for you. See, if you spend 15 motes and a willpower on trying to lift something using your regular Athletics charms, you will do something damn inpressive and ridiculous. If you make a different charm with super high cost that says your anima helps, what is the difference? Where does it sit in the Charm tree? In which Charm tree? Does every charm tree have one, or is it one charm that helps with many different actions? Does it stack with ither charms?

It's a cool idea, but it sounds like you are taking the way charms work, and then reversing the flow of effect.

Instead of using charms to do the deed and incidentally increasing your anima, you are increasing your anima to do the effect and incidentally using a charm. Fundamentally, I don't see much of a difference, except that if your anima becomes a charm, no more anima stunting.

Comment

Basically, a Solar wants to lift a collapsed beam to save people from a burning house. He goes to lift it, spending motes, and his anima flares. His anima may appear to assist him - maybe he has a Joestar-like Stand of an anima, an iconic idealized form or something, and it appears to join him in lifting - but he still has to commit to lifting it, cannot lift it beyond his reach, and can't have his anima hold it up while he pulls people out.

Stunts of your anima seeming to actin accordance with you are appropriate [see Trauma Bear's buddy getting ripped apart by barbarian lady as ghost wolf seems to shred him in half], but I think it is an important distinction to Exalted that it is the Exalt, not the Essence, doing things. Infusing your anima with power to let it act with some power might maybe be a sorcery spell? But it's more an aura than an entity.

Comment

Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei View Post
                    See Trauma Bear's buddy getting ripped apart by barbarian lady as ghost wolf seems to shred him in half.
                    That is quite clearly a crocodile.

This post was made in a factory where hyperbole and sarcasm are handled.

Comment

I don't recall seeing any Athletics charms that cost anima levels. This may be a good avenue to build one in.

Comment

Working...
                      X