Righteous Indignation - New Celestial Offensive Spell [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Righteous Indignation - New Celestial Offensive Spell [PEACH]

So, while rewriting spells I though that Celestial seems a little... light on offensive spells, especially single target ones. So I decided to write one or two for my own use and here is first one - pretty sure quite a few people can say on what it's based. Please evaluate spell and tell me what do you think about it's power.

Righteous Indignation
    Cost: 20 sm, 2 wp
    Keywords: Decisive-only, Aggravated
    Duration: Instant
    I, who stand at the full lights of heaven, commands thee. Come forth, divine lightning and unleash thy fury of thunder! This ends now! INDIGNATION!

In the ages long gone, as the power of enemies of the gods waned, the Celestial Host started truly experiment with power of ancient words of power, the Sorcery which manipulated primal forces of Creation. One of the Solar Sorcerers, fascinated with endless power of the Unconquered Sun himself used his vast knowledge from Bureau of Seasons to create spell to bring tremendous lightning from heaven upon his enemies - and then, by imbuing it with holy light of the Unconquered Sun, to forge it into weapon against all creatures of darkness. Thus the spell to emulate the Godspear, ultimate weapon the Sun, was created. The name of the spell, however, was undecided – and many tried to find one that would be worthy of such power. Thunder of Heaven, Fist of Heavens, Hammer on Evil, Thunderous Lightning – many names were proposed. One name however took creator by the heart – Righteous Wrath of the Sun. Even then, as he said, Wrath... was a too big word for spell like that, as the power of Sorcery was not worthy of being called wrath of the Holiest of Holy... however... indignation would do. And thus the name of the spell was decided.
    As the Sorcerer cast this spell, she calls upon the literal force of nature , as heavens instantly darken and clouds gather upon her enemies. Then, as Sorcerer invoke name of Unconquered Sun himself to pour his judgment into a spell, in an instant clouded heaven cracks open as single, massive bolt of lightning strikes from filament with thunderous rage, instantly reducing target of Sorcerer’s wrath to ashes.
    This attack cannot be parried, only dodged. The sorcerer rolls (Intelligence + Occult) as a decisive attack roll, adding Essence successes against chosen enemy, as lighting strikes him from above. This spell damage is (2 x Sorcerer’s Essence + her current temporary Willpower + extra successes from attack roll). This spell does not reset the Sorcerer to base Initiative.If enemy is killed by bolt of lightning, he is instantly reduced to ashes along with all his equipment – with exception of magical items in his possession. Creatures of Darkness suffers additional (Sorcerer’s Essence) dices of damage and suffer Aggravated damage.
    After lighting strikes, a tremendous thunderous dome instantly expands from the point of impact, reaching up to short range. This powerful blast smashes fragile objects, pulps internal organs and break bones like matches. All beings in the range of this effect must roll (Stamina + Resistance) against one-time environmental hazard wit difficulty of (Sorcerer's Essence) or suffer (Sorcerer’s current temporary Willpower) dice of lethal damage. All living creatures damaged by this effect are also deafened and disoriented. They suffer a -3 penalty on all actions for (Sorcerer’s Essence) rounds.
    As special rule, this spell cannot be cast by Creatures of Darkness.
    The character who knows Righteous Indignation as Control spell can always call small lighting to her hand. This can be used as stunt, for example to light a torch or power an ancient device for a short while. It can be also used to augment bare handed attacks, adding one dice to withering damage and allowing Sorcerer to deal lethal damage with bare hands without a stunt. When she is angry, lighting sparks when she moves or talks and deep in her eyes sparks can be seen.
    Last edited by Daerian; 06-08-2016, 09:10 PM.

My homebrew/rewrites:
    2nd->3rd Edition Sorcery Spells Rewrite
    Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Evocations
    Solar Occult Charms for Sorcerers
    Solar Thrown Charms (with Solar Danmaku Charms)

Originally posted by Daerian View Post
    This powerful blast smashes fragile objects, pulps internal organs and break bones like matches.
    This part of the spell looks oddly familiar... *wolf howls in the distance*

In all seriousness though, I like this spell in concept. I'm still debating whether the effect is Celestial or not in strength. It's a big attack pool and a potentially good sized damage pool. The aoe effect doesn't seem that hard to beat though (with no listed difficulty, the assumed number is 1). If it hits, it's brutal. Deals dice of damage (I assume blocked by hardness), and does a big penalty for at least 3 rounds. But seems easy to miss so then it's just a decisive against 1 target that... frankly feels like it could be pulled off at the Terrestrial level.

I'm not sure that I have suggestions on how to beef it up. I've never been great at balancing sorcery. All I can tell you is my gut isn't sold that this is any better than Terrestrial.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
      This part of the spell looks oddly familiar... *wolf howls in the distance*
      I changed this part! there were no mention of bones and matches in Thunder Wolf's Howl

In all seriousness though, I like this spell in concept.
      Thanks a lot.

I'm still debating whether the effect is Celestial or not in strength. It's a big attack pool and a potentially good sized damage pool. The aoe effect doesn't seem that hard to beat though (with no listed difficulty, the assumed number is 1). If it hits, it's brutal. Deals dice of damage (I assume blocked by hardness), and does a big penalty for at least 3 rounds. But seems easy to miss so then it's just a decisive against 1 target that... frankly feels like it could be pulled off at the Terrestrial level.
      This is one time environmental hazard, so it ignores soak and hardness. Adding this to the spell description.

I'm not sure that I have suggestions on how to beef it up. I've never been great at balancing sorcery. All I can tell you is my gut isn't sold that this is any better than Terrestrial.
      I was aiming for low-level Celestial power, so I would take it as OK ;-) It's Celestial level comes more from fluff than power.

Added a line about visual effects of Control Spell: When she is angry, lighting sparks when she moves or talks and deep in her eyes sparks can be seen.
      Last edited by Daerian; 06-08-2016, 10:32 AM.

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

Depending on whether or not the Essence successes are non-charm on the attack roll (I think they should be non-charm since you get them from the lightning coming from above) with maxed dice pools and willpower against a evasion 5 target this spell will be dealing 21 dice of lethal damage at Essence 3. Thats pretty nice amount of damage (around ~17 is enough to kill an exalt with no added health levels), especially since it doesn't reset you to base initiative and indeed doesn't care about initiative at all, which is kinda nice for your purely sorcery based fighting style sorcerers. So yeah, definitely it kills a "normal" single target pretty well and seriously hurts larger things. The thematic is also nice, but that might just be me and my liking of all things lightning :P

The dice pool calculations are laid out pretty messily, in my opinion. I like the dicepools to be inside brackets for easier looking. Also, the damage pool calculation can be condensed into (Essence x2 + extra successes + current temporary Willpower), since the sentence feels a bit awkward currently. Also you should add difficulty to the environmental damage or make the roll reduce damage from the dicepool.

Comment

Originally posted by Asoral View Post
          Depending on whether or not the Essence successes are non-charm on the attack roll (I think they should be non-charm since you get them from the lightning coming from above) with maxed dice pools and willpower against a evasion 5 target this spell will be dealing 21 dice of lethal damage at Essence 3. Thats pretty nice amount of damage (around ~17 is enough to kill an exalt with no added health levels), especially since it doesn't reset you to base initiative and indeed doesn't care about initiative at all, which is kinda nice for your purely sorcery based fighting style sorcerers. So yeah, definitely it kills a "normal" single target pretty well and seriously hurts larger things. The thematic is also nice, but that might just be me and my liking of all things lightning :P
          Thanks a lot

Originally posted by Asoral View Post
          The dice pool calculations are laid out pretty messily, in my opinion. I like the dicepools to be inside brackets for easier looking. Also, the damage pool calculation can be condensed into (Essence x2 + extra successes + current temporary Willpower), since the sentence feels a bit awkward currently. Also you should add difficulty to the environmental damage or make the roll reduce damage from the dicepool.
          Going to make it more readable. Difficulty added.

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

I like this spell. Especially now that the line between Sorcery and Necromancy is blurring a little.
            After all...
            "I, in the land of the living, call to thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy furious thunder. INDIGNATION!"

I used to know things. Forbidden things.

Comment

Originally posted by Brasstreader View Post
              I like this spell. Especially now that the line between Sorcery and Necromancy is blurring a little.
              After all...
              "I, in the land of the living, call to thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy furious thunder. INDIGNATION!"
              Thanks a lot :-)
              However, I must say I'm going for more holy version of Indignation here (but I plan on making Necromancy one when we will get info about that magic )

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

Hello

OK this is quite an old topic but I really like this spell and I have couple of questions just to be sure.

In your opinion :

What is the range of the attack ?

Does this spell needs to be cast outdoors ?

Is it possible to hit a Battlegroup with this spell ?

Comment

Working...
                X