Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Cult work and how does it interact with the Temple Manse power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Cult work and how does it interact with the Temple Manse power?

How do you gain continuous power from prayers when your only getting prayed to once a season or when ever the Immaculates decide you get worshipped?

And how does the Temple Manse figure into it, especially if your not living in Yu Shan?

Well I think the cult represents people who aren't following the schedule. Either because they live in a place the immaculate don't have a lot of power, or because they're risking their hides to violate those dictates.
    Last edited by A Not Quite Simple Soul; 06-13-2016, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Cult is an extremely abstract Background/Merit, and I think attempts to quantify things like exact amount of prayer are always going to meet with frustration.

​That said, I think many gods who have Cult due to Immaculate worship have multiple places in the calendar.

I think dots in the thing mostly correspond to you being part of a culture's routine, regardless of how exact that routine is.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Could it possibly be the spiritual magnitude that feeds you rather than the prayers directly, and so as long as you are being worshipped and people are committed to you in their hearts you become stronger?

Comment

If someone has a Cult, said cult is clearly not following Immaculate doctrine.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

Originally posted by Gallus View Post
            If someone has a Cult, said cult is clearly not following Immaculate doctrine.
            I think Cult simply refers to the level of worship/veneration you receive. You get worship holidays on the Immaculate calendar and that is your Immaculate proscribed Cult rating. Little gods can have a Cult rating in the Immaculate world, but only by playing according to the Immaculate rules.

Comment

Cult represents you being venerated, not getting lip service as part of a greater religion. If a god is getting prayers because the Immaculate said so, then it's not thier Cult. As such they do not get the benefits of a Cult. The answer to your first question is: you don't, because there is nothing continuous about it.

Comment

Cult represents you being venerated, not getting lip service as part of a greater religion. If a god is getting prayers because the Immaculate said so, then it's not thier Cult. As such they do not get the benefits of a Cult. The answer to your first question is: you don't, because there is nothing continuous about it.
                That can't be right otherwise gods couldn't be bribed by being promised Immaculate directed worship and added holidays to the Immaculate calendar to gods. Throughout the books, it's clear that gods consider this a BIG bribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
                  That can't be right otherwise gods couldn't be bribed by being promised Immaculate directed worship and added holidays to the Immaculate calendar to gods. Throughout the books, it's clear that gods consider this a BIG bribe.
                  Mercurial has the right of it.

Comment

No, you could still bribe the gods that way. Just because they don't get continously prayers does not mean they don't get the prayers. That does not mean they have a Cult. Your are comparing a holiday gift check to a salary.

Comment

No, you could still bribe the gods that way. Just because they don't get continously prayers does not mean they don't get the prayers. That does not meant they have a cult.

Originally posted by Ex3
                      Cult - The character is the object of organized veneration by a group of mortals.
                      Looks like Immaculate worship counts as a Cult. Sorry, Gallus.

EDIT: As to the original question, I imagine Cult represents not only prayers on specific days, but also general prayers from individuals murmured in times of need or during ceremonies (like weddings, funerals, etc.). For example, the saints in Catholic belief have specific days that are associated with them, in addition to All Saints' Day, but people still carry tokens of their favored saints and murmur prayers to the Patron Saint of Whatever it is They Need at the Moment. All that, collectively, adds up to a Cult, I should think.
                      Last edited by Octopoid; 06-15-2016, 04:15 PM.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

How about you post the whole description? Were it says just one dot involves having full time priests. Sorry, Octopoid, the Cult Merit does not represent the bribes provided by the Immaculate faith.

Also, there is no need to have a Merit represent that in the first place.
                        Last edited by Gallus; 06-15-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

How about you post the whole description? Were it says just one dot involves having full time priests. Sorry, Octopoid, the Cult Merit does not represent the bribes provided by the Immaculate faith.

Also, there is no need to have a Merit represent that in the first place.
                          Well, StephenLS disagrees with you, and so do I. Full-time priests doesn't mean full-time holidays. It just means somewhere you have a church with priests that live there full-time. It can be a small church with only a few full-time priests (one dot) or well more than that, up to and including a temple in every major city and priests out the yin-yang. I see that as perfectly fitting for Immaculate bribes.

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

One dot represents you only being worshipped by a small order of dedicated, full-time priests. As in, if you only have a dozen people worshipping you, then that being anything less than their life would not even register.

​Higher dots represents you being part of a region's general religious practices, which even outside of the Immaculate sphere is going to be necessarily seasonal because people need to grow food.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Problem solved, the power comes from the full time priests.

Comment

Working...
                              X