Occult - Sorcery Charms (Homebrew) [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occult - Sorcery Charms (Homebrew) [PEACH]

So, as I have written in my topic about problems with Twilights - batch of Occult Charms concentrated on Sorcery. Please evaluate and criticise honestly.

Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Terrestrial Circle Sorcery
    If there is one thing Copper Spiders are known for, it’s their thirst for knowledge. Always looking for answers and new information, no Solar Sorcerer would be content with knowledge already learned, trying to always expand what she knows, nor would she wait for enlightenment.
    Upon learning this Charm Solar gains additional Shaping Ritual and choses (Essence) spells she knows from Terrestrial Circle – they become her additional Control Spells. If she doesn’t know enough spells, the next spell she learns become her additional Control Spell if applicable. If not, the spell after. Each time she rises in Essence to level that would grant her additional Control Spell, she choose one from spells known.
    At E4 this Charm automatically upgrades if the Sorcerer knows Celestial Circle Sorcery, granting one additional Sorcerous Ritual and the same upgrades to (Essence/2, rounded up) Celestial Circle spells, with the same rules as before for acquisition.
    At E5 if the Sorcerer known Solar Circle Sorcery she gains one additional Sorcerous Ritual and changes one additional spell from Solar Circle into her Control Spell, with the same rules as before for acquisition.
    Additionally, if Occult is Supernal Ability of the Solar, this Charm permanently decreases prerequisite Essence required for learning Celestial and Solar Circle Spells to 2 and 4 Essence, respectively.

Special balance note: Few people in this topic consider this Charm a little/more than little too strong as written. I personally don't think that (for me this Charm is power enabler and requires big investment to reap it's benefits, which in my opinion balances it), but if you too find this Charm too powerful please change E5 (or both E4 and E5) free upgrades into repurchases.

Comment: Control spells and their changing, permanent effects on character are cool so I consider giving more of them interesting way to power and at the same time make Sorcerer more distinctive character. It might seem as diminishing each Sorcerer uniqueness, but in my opinion if strengthens it, even allowing player to choose spells for purely cosmetic effects, like having cool shadows of butterflies around character without getting stink eye from rest of players (and player’s own inner power gamer) for not taking OP Mist of Eventide control effect. Be however wary if there are more than one dedicated Sorcerer in party (unlikely event, I think).
    Additionally, this Charm makes it possible to learn CCS and SCS faster without having to write it down in growing list of every group houserules.

Refinement of Knowledge Unknown
    Cost: —; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown, All-Encompassing Sorcerer’s Sight
    The Copper Spiders are greatest Sorcerers know to the world, and their knowledge of unknown laws and powers are unmatched. Add (higher of Essence or three) non-Charm bonus dice to Solar’s spell effects and any Occult rolls which involves dealing with Spirits or different realms of existence (for example, Wyld or Malfeas). These dices cannot be added to Shaping Sorcery rolls.
    Additionally, knowing this Charms always counts as +1 Means for Sorcerous Workings.
    This Charm specifically does not stack with Heaven-Turning Calculations.
    Comment: Better than Heaven-Turning Calculations for Sorcerer, worse for omni disciplinary Twilight.

Spiritual Principles Understanding
    Cost: (+2m) ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Burning Exorcism Technique
    Calling upon Spirits she studied, the Solar Sorcerer can apply principles of studied Essence to shaping her own vision of Creation.
    While activating Ancient Tongue Understanding, the Solar can pay additional 2 motes. If she does, when Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver can add 1 dice to all her Shaping Sorcery and Wyld-Shaping rolls for every spirit familiar she has or spirit she has bound with Burning Exorcism Technique. She can add up to her (Essence) dice. These dice are considered non-Charm dice when casting her Control Spells.
    Comment: Works better for Twilights, but doesn’t give them anything others cannot attain if they wish, which is show I want Sorcery to work.

Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown
    As the Sorcerer knowledge grows, she becomes more and more attuned to the world and its Essence, internalizing principles of Sorcery into herself.
    Upon learning this Charm Sorcerer gains special pool of sorcerous motes, one mote for every spell she knows, up to a maximum of ten sorcerous motes. She can spend these motes while casting any spell or effect requiring sorcerous motes. Initially empty, she can fill this pool in two ways:
    First, when resting she can decide to not regain Willpower and instead roll (Occult) dice, adding 1 sorcerous motes to her pool for every success rolled. This roll cannot be supported by other magic.
    Secondly, when casting a spell with fixed mote cost she can add all threshold successes on Shaping Sorcery roll (in another words, all Sorcerous motes gathered beyond cost of the spell) to her inner pool. She will however suffer 1 level of bashing damage for each two motes internalized in this way, as she pull raw forces into herself. If the Lawgiver has willing spiritual familiar or bound demon in medium range of her, she can Reflexively make them suffer that cost instead. She can avoid damage this way only once per scene unless she reset this effect by healing at least one point of damage of Spirit which suffered damage instead of her.
    The Sorcerous motes in this pool last until next time Sorcerer rest enough to be viable for regaining willpower or until she loses consciousness.
    Comment: Inner pool of magic – pretty standard thing in my opinion, most Abilities have one, even if not called explicitly. Can be used as way to safely gain damage to transfer with Lore abilities, or send to bound demons or willing familiar (yes, familiar must be ok with that before you can do it) if Sorcerer doesn’t want risk.

Words-as-Shield Method
    Cost: 5m ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Dual
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment
    As the Sorcerer masters her body and mind, forging them anew in flames of her inner power, she learns to channel her Essence outward, to protect herself from harm. This power materialize as semitransparent sphere around Sorcerer, often marked by hues of her anima.
    When Sorcerer is taking shaping sorcery action she can activate this Charm and then gains (Occult + Intelligence + Essence/2, rounded down) soak until her spell is cast. This effect doesn’t stack with other magic or armor – use only the higher value. Against decisive attacks, this Charm provides (Intelligence) hardness or, if Sorcerer has Twilight anima power active, adds 2 to its power.
    After spell is cast, this effect lingers until sorcerer’s next action and then subside after it, to return when Sorcerer takes her next Shape Sorcery action.
    Special activation rules: If the Sorcerer knows Evocation of Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Sorcerer’s Supreme Soul she can activate both powers at once, paying only 8m. Then she gains (Occult + Intelligence + Essence) soak, Hardness (Intelligence+1) or if Sorcerer has Twilight anima power active, add 3 to its power instead of normal bonuses, but all timing rules still apply. Additionally, both Withering and Decisive damage she receives is decreased by three as long as the shield is active.
    Comment: My Evocation Sorcerer’s Supreme Soul from Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes has pretty much the same effect and I didn’t want to make it obsolete –hence special activation rules making knowing them both pretty much Charm and it’s upgrade purchases.

Words-as-Swords Stance
    Cost: 3m ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Type: Supplemental
    Duration: One Spell
    Prerequisite Charms: Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment
    Most Sorcerers prefer to avoid conflict, but not all of them will be always able to do so. These who try to raise their hands against Lawgiver will find their hands burned.
    While this Charm is active, when the Sorcerer takes the first shape sorcery action to begin casting a spell treat that has direct damage component (examples from Core: Death of Obsidian Butterflies, Flight of Brilliant Raptor, Death Ray) Sorcerer can strengthen her spell and only then cast it - by gathering more sorcerous motes. She can gather up to (2 x Essence) more sorcerous motes before casting spell. Each 2 sorcerous motes gathered add 1 dice to spell damage.
    Additionally, while this Charm is active the Lawgiver gains one point of Initiative for every two decisive damage levels her spells deal, up to (Occult) points per spell cast. This Initiative is added to her pool instantly after cast if the spell doesn’t reset her Initiative or after Initiative reset if it does. If she incapacitate or render enemy unconscious (for example with Mist of Eventide effect) she gains additional point of Initiative. Spells with Duration longer than Instant require commitment of motes until they end, but gain accumulated bonus damage and grant Initiative every time they damage foe.
    Comment: Way for combat Sorcerers to build up Initiative for spells using it or defensive effects. This is effect I’m really not sure about.

Words of World Unknown
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 4
    Prerequisite Charms: Refinement of Knowledge Unknown, Spiritual Principles Understanding
    There is a language older than any other, one from which Old Realm was born, the language spoken when Creation was first born, the words of creation itself. Through the understanding of the spiritual world Solar rises to the highest power, her own words shaping world around her. Upon learning this Charm, the Ancient Tongue Understanding upgrades further, encompassing true power of creation.
    First, the Lawgiver is capable of understanding every language known by her Spirit Familiars while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active. If she is literate, she can also read Old Realm and any of the languages known by her Spirit Familiars.
    Second, while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver automatically speaks and understands language older than even Old Realm (she can however choose to speak normal Old Realm if she wishes), yet eerily similar to it – anyone who known Old Realm will understand her easily. When Solar speaks this language, her words take on strange, alien tones, terrifying to mortals and lowly Spirits. When talking to any other being than gods, elemental and demons, she takes a -3 penalty on all social influence actions other than threaten. However, when speaking with gods, elemental and demons she gains (Essence/2, rounded up) automatic non-charm success on all influence rolls. Additionally, when speaking this version of Old Realm, she will find Creation answering to her wishes easier, almost as she makes them – she gains one additional automatic successes to all Occult rolls and shaping actions. Additionally, as long as Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working, this Charm counts as two additional Means, as the Essence of Creation itself wants to be willed into new form by Sorcerer. Failure to do so instantly removes both additional Means from current Workings.
    At Essence 5 this Charm automatically upgrades, changing Workings base interval from one week to one day, but only if Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working. Failure to do so instantly set next interval to one week.

Special balance note: Essence 5 upgrade can be very dangerous if your party often has long downtimes and free time to pursue crafting/sorcerous workings projects. Please be aware of that and remove this upgrade if it would break your game.

Comment: This Charm is getting on Linguistics heels strongly, but I think it has its place in Occult, as language of creation and words of power are old and well known parts of many magic systems. I don’t know if “Sorcery is language Primordials used to shape Creation” will be still canon, but bite me – I like this part.

Burning Anima Evocation
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 5
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Six Eternities’ Travail, Spirit-Drawing Oculus
    As the Solar learns to channel the Essence of the world through her body, she becomes something even more than momentary vector for incredible power – she becomes the master of rules of the world, and her spells will rewrite it to her will.
    Every time when the Lawgiver anima intensifies by one step, she can roll amount of dice up to her (Occult), equal to the (half of the motes spend, rounded up), to gain sorcerous mote for every success. She can gain motes for every anima level only once per scene unless she resets this Charm by using Spirit-Drawing Oculus. This roll cannot be supported by other magic. If the Solar uses Spirit-Drawing Oculus after gaining sorcerous motes with Burning Anima Evocation, she gains one non-charm automatic success for every three sorcerous motes gained from Burning Anima Evocation in this scene.
    Comment: I really like effects scaling with anima rising, not only shedding it to power Charms.
    Last edited by Daerian; 08-20-2016, 01:02 AM.

My homebrew/rewrites:
    2nd->3rd Edition Sorcery Spells Rewrite
    Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Evocations
    Solar Occult Charms for Sorcerers
    Solar Thrown Charms (with Solar Danmaku Charms)

Why do you need so many shaping rituals?

Comment

Originally posted by kingcrackers View Post
      Why do you need so many shaping rituals?
      Because I saw posts asking how to get more of them, so there is demand for having more than base amount.

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

I think well spring might be a tad too much, maybe instead of making it essence 3 and giving out automatic upgrades make it so you can buy it at essence 2, 4, and 5 to affect the associated circle.

So the first time you buy it you get one shaping ritual, and can treat essence additional terrestrial spells as a control spell. (clarification does this mean that if you have occult as your supernal you'd get 5 terrestrial control spells right off the bat?)

Second time you have to have essence 4 and celestial circle (or if occult is your supernal you can grab this charm as soon as you have celestial at essence 3). This time when you buy it it gives one shaping ritual and 1/2 half essence (rounded up of course) additional celestial control spells.

Third time at essence 5 (since you need that for third tier sorcery regardless of supernals) it grants another shaping ritual and 1 additional solar spell you know becomes a control spell.

Comment

Originally posted by A Not Quite Simple Soul View Post
          I think well spring might be a tad too much, maybe instead of making it essence 3 and giving out automatic upgrades make it so you can buy it at essence 2, 4, and 5 to affect the associated circle.

So the first time you buy it you get one shaping ritual, and can treat essence additional terrestrial spells as a control spell. (clarification does this mean that if you have occult as your supernal you'd get 5 terrestrial control spells right off the bat?)

Second time you have to have essence 4 and celestial circle (or if occult is your supernal you can grab this charm as soon as you have celestial at essence 3). This time when you buy it it gives one shaping ritual and 1/2 half essence (rounded up of course) additional celestial control spells.

Third time at essence 5 (since you need that for third tier sorcery regardless of supernals) it grants another shaping ritual and 1 additional solar spell you know becomes a control spell.
          Well, I really don't like repurchase Charms, so I never really go with them, preferring automatic updates. This Charm is pretty much not worth it as three Charms, it gets better slowly. It could be broken into two Charms, but personally I decided to make it one strong Charm with slow build-up to power.

E1: One T. Control Spell more (you don't get additional Spell until you buy it for exp) and 1 Shaping Ritual
          E2: You can buy Celestial Circle, gaining additional Celestial Control and Shaping Ritual, you automatically gain one T. Control (here this Charm is getting worthwhile of exp)
          E3: One more T. Control and C. Control
          E4: You can but Solar Circle to get third Shaping Ritual, second Solar Control Spell. You gain one T. Control
          E5: One T. Control and one C. Control

This is because while Supernal allows you to buy Charms as if you had 5 Essence, the all inner workings of Charm purchased are still based on your natural Essence level.

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

The thing is well spring gives three shaping rituals, upgrades 9 spells to control at essence 5 and more if you go beyond, and reduces the essence prequisite of higher tier sorcery. I'm worried that might be a bit much for a single charm.

If you wanna keep the auto-upgrade feature, maybe make it upgrade based on your circle of sorcery, nix the essence requirement reduction of higher tier sorcery, and instead of essence it gives one ritual per circle, and then one known spell becomes a control spell of each known level at each stage so it gives in total 3 terrestrial control spells, 2 celestial, and 1 solar.

I mean really you have 3 pretty distinct effects forma hat one charm, extra rituals, extra control spells, and the essence requirement reduction, all of which are pretty potent benefits.
            Last edited by A Not Quite Simple Soul; 06-13-2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Spiritual Principles Understanding the my favorite of all of these. It's SUPER Twilighty and that makes me happy.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                Spiritual Principles Understanding the my favorite of all of these. It's SUPER Twilighty and that makes me happy.
                Thanks a lot

I'm worried that might be a bit much for a single charm.
                it's not a "single" Charm - it's upgrade to three Charms, requiring you to buy them to work and then buy ton of spells on which it can work. You don't gain them for free.

I mean really you have 3 pretty distinct effects forma hat one charm, extra rituals, extra control spells, and the essence requirement reduction, all of which are pretty potent benefits.
                Not exactly - it's only own effect is decreasing Essence level required for Sorcery Charms when you have Supernal Occult (which is here mainly as writing it somewhere without having to remember additional houserule). This Charm by itself doesn't really do anything, both of it's functions is upgrading X Circle Sorcery Charms. Without them, this Charm only grants 1 Shaping Ritual and 5 "upgrade to Control Spells" effect at Essence 5, which is not very strong and still requires Terrestial Circle Sorcery and buying other spells. You should look at this Charm as upgrade Charm, which doesn't do pretty much anything by itself. It's only getting strong when you buy additional things.

If you wanna keep the auto-upgrade feature, maybe make it upgrade based on your circle of sorcery
                It already need them to work and not only - it also requires you to buy lot of spells to do most of it's effects.

nix the essence requirement reduction of higher tier sorcery
                Not gonna do, if it were for me that line would be in core rules without any Charm.

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

All of them look cool, but having never played a sorcerer I'm not sure how balanced they are.

Have you considered Supernal Occult allowing learning two spells for each charm purchase, making Twilight sorcerers more flexible with a similar XP commitment?

How about gathering initiative along with sorcerous motes? It seems like narratively you could honestly swap the sorcerous motes system for initiative and call it good. When you get struck, you lose initiative, which is the fuel for spells. Maybe instead of a house rule a Charm could accomplish something similar.

I think shaping a spell to win a fight pretty clearly creates initiative, narratively speaking. So do other tasks that bring a fight to its conclusion, like getting your hands on the thing everyone is fighting over.

...Now I want to run a combat where holding the plot McGuffin at the start of your turn grants five initiative, just to see what happens.

Edit: I LOVE words as shield method. When it's Supernal, does the formula Essence equal 5? I forget if Supernal sets those numbers to 5 or not.
                  Last edited by Childofthesun1; 06-14-2016, 09:02 AM.

Don't feel bad. People tell the developers they get Exalted wrong all the time. -hippokrene

Comment

I have no idea if these Charms are balanced or not, but their fluff is just too good! They fit my exact vision of a Twilight Sorcerer and I will definitly be on the lookout for anyt editing you might do and will try to get them ST aproved as soon as I play a game!

Thank you for such great contribution!

Comment

Originally posted by Childofthesun1 View Post
                      Have you considered Supernal Occult allowing learning two spells for each charm purchase, making Twilight sorcerers more flexible with a similar XP commitment?
                      It was nice houserule for Terrestial Circle in 2nd Edition, but in 3rd Spells are nicely balanced with Charms (and you can buy spells with Solar XP), so this would make Twilight advance too fast compared to the rest of the group.

How about gathering initiative along with sorcerous motes? It seems like narratively you could honestly swap the sorcerous motes system for initiative and call it good. When you get struck, you lose initiative, which is the fuel for spells. Maybe instead of a house rule a Charm could accomplish something similar.
                      This is interesting, some Charm that would allow sending some overflow shaping motes into Initiative... will think about that,

Edit: I LOVE words as shield method. When it's Supernal, does the formula Essence equal 5? I forget if Supernal sets those numbers to 5 or not.
                      Unfortunately no, it uses your actual Essence score.

Thanks a lot for opinion and kind words :-)

Originally posted by Erinýes View Post
                      I have no idea if these Charms are balanced or not, but their fluff is just too good! They fit my exact vision of a Twilight Sorcerer and I will definitly be on the lookout for anyt editing you might do and will try to get them ST aproved as soon as I play a game!

Thank you for such great contribution!
                      Thanks a lot for kind words :-)

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

My worry with Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown is that the control spell "tells" could get really out hand, to the point that you're a shining beacon of of power and walking zone of destruction. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
                          My worry with Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown is that the control spell "tells" could get really out hand, to the point that you're a shining beacon of of power and walking zone of destruction. Seriously.
                          This is working as intended (personally I plan to make my Sorcerer with Control Ice Hornets, Thunder Wolf's Howl and Divine Indignation for these delicious snowflakes, lightning and wolf's howls around her when she is angry!) ;-)
                          You can however just take spells without such effects as Control spells, if you wish. Most of the social spells is doesn't change you much and still gains nice bonuses.
                          I'm talking about my rewrite ofc.

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

I feel like any disagreements I have with your work here are all a matter of taste. Mechanically, it seems relatively sound, but thematically and what they imply for the setting, I'm not entirely a fan of in many of them. Particularly the Control spell one. I wouldn't personally allow more than maybe 2 additional control spells in a game if I were homebrewing. I like it feeling niche and not wide-ranging. I have trouble imagining using more than maybe 4 or 5 of my spells TOTAL even at Essence 5. Eventually you pick some favorites and stick with those. Being able to have every spell you're likely to use have that Control benefit isn't something I'm a fan of.

Yeah, every time I go back to write about something in your set thinking it's a mechanical issue, it's really not. It feels sound. It just turns out I don't like it. Which surprises me, because in the beginning I really WANTED charms that enhanced my spellcasting. I'm not sure how I got off that boat or where, but I am land-bound now apparently.

I wanted to give kudos to your mechanical acumen. You've done some very cool stuff over the past bit and I approve of a lot of your work. If nothing else, I applaud your tenacity in your efforts. I merely disagree that the setting is missing some of it.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I feel like any disagreements I have with your work here are all a matter of taste. Mechanically, it seems relatively sound, but thematically and what they imply for the setting, I'm not entirely a fan of in many of them. Particularly the Control spell one. I wouldn't personally allow more than maybe 2 additional control spells in a game if I were homebrewing. I like it feeling niche and not wide-ranging. I have trouble imagining using more than maybe 4 or 5 of my spells TOTAL even at Essence 5. Eventually you pick some favorites and stick with those. Being able to have every spell you're likely to use have that Control benefit isn't something I'm a fan of.
                              We are different in this really, at this moment I have 6 spells on starting character (well, we are starting with 20 Charms to choose, but at E1 - basically experienced char gen Solars, but still with E1) and I have planned to buy total 10-15 Terrestial, ~8 Celestial and 5-6 Solar Spells if I get to it. So I was writing around my own planned numbers. Your point is right, maybe I will add some caveat that no more than half of the spells Sorcerer knows could be his Control spells...

Yeah, every time I go back to write about something in your set thinking it's a mechanical issue, it's really not. It feels sound. It just turns out I don't like it. Which surprises me, because in the beginning I really WANTED charms that enhanced my spellcasting. I'm not sure how I got off that boat or where, but I am land-bound now apparently.

I wanted to give kudos to your mechanical acumen. You've done some very cool stuff over the past bit and I approve of a lot of your work. If nothing else, I applaud your tenacity in your efforts. I merely disagree that the setting is missing some of it.
                              I understand, we all want something else from the game after all :-) Thanks a lot for your opinion and for checking my mechanics :-)

My homebrew/rewrites:

Comment

Working...
                              X