• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daerian View Post
    Words of World Unknown
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 4
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Refinement of Knowledge Unknown, Spiritual Principles Understanding
    There is a language older than any other, one from which Old Realm was born, the language spoken when Creation was first born, the words of creation itself. Through the understanding of the spiritual world Solar rises to the highest power, her own words shaping world around her. Upon learning this Charm, the Ancient Tongue Understanding upgrades further, encompassing true power of creation.
    First, the Lawgiver is capable of understanding every language known by her Spirit Familiars while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active. If she is literate, she can also read Old Realm and any of the languages known by her Spirit Familiars.
    Second, while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver automatically speaks and understands language older than even Old Realm (she can however choose to speak normal Old Realm if she wishes), yet eerily similar to it – anyone who known Old Realm will understand her easily. When Solar speaks this language, her words take on strange, alien tones, terrifying to mortals and lowly Spirits. When talking to any other being than gods, elemental and demons, she takes a -3 penalty on all social influence actions other than threaten. However, when speaking with gods, elemental and demons she gains (Essence/2, rounded up) automatic non-charm success on all influence rolls. Additionally, when speaking this version of Old Realm, she will find Creation answering to her wishes easier, almost as she makes them – she gains one additional automatic successes to all Occult rolls and shaping actions. Additionally, as long as Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working, this Charm counts as two additional Means, as the Essence of Creation itself wants to be willed into new form by Sorcerer. Failure to do so instantly removes both additional Means from current Workings.
    At Essence 5 this Charm automatically upgrades, changing Workings base interval from one week to one day, but only if Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working. Failure to do so instantly set next interval to one week.
    Comment: This Charm is getting on Linguistics heels strongly, but I think it has its place in Occult, as language of creation and words of power are old and well known parts of many magic systems. I don’t know if “Sorcery is language Primordials used to shape Creation” will be still canon, but bite me – I like this part.
    This charm while a bit wordy is pretty good. I am curious about the additional mean provided. Is this a way of turning occult into the Complementary Ability w/ charm purchase into a means addition?

I would personally remove the essence 5 upgrade altogether. Allowing a Solar to perform cosmos altering magics in less than a week is a massive game changer preventing most any sorcerer or force in creation from stepping in and stopping the character from pulling off changing the fundamentals of the cosmos. When even the most puissant sorcerers of the first age struggled with this level of working taking at least a season to accomplish.

Craft rewrite.
    Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Originally posted by Daerian View Post
      Burning Anima Evocation
      Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 5
      Type: Permanent
      Keywords: None
      Duration: Permanent
      Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Six Eternities’ Travail, Spirit-Drawing Oculus
      As the Solar learns to channel the Essence of the world through her body, she becomes something even more than momentary vector for incredible power – she becomes the master of rules of the world, and her spells will rewrite it to her will.
      Every time when the Lawgiver anima intensifies by one step, she can roll amount of dice up to her (Occult), equal to the (half of the motes spend, rounded up), to gain sorcerous mote for every success. She can gain motes for every anima level only once per scene. This roll cannot be supported by other magic. If the Solar uses Spirit-Drawing Oculus after gaining sorcerous motes with Burning Anima Evocation, she gains one non-charm automatic success for every three sorcerous motes gained from Burning Anima Evocation in this scene.
      Comment: I really like effects scaling with anima rising, not only shedding it to power Charms.
      Thematically this is a great charm, I would say its mechanically under powered for a pinnacle charm though. Not sure where to make the improvement.

So the whole charm tree you've built is very creative and I like how you approached occult and sorcery. I only see a few places where mechanics can be shifted to bring this in line with the power level of charms at the essence and ability levels you are putting them at. I think several of the issues stem from WoKW and interactions with control spells being too powerful as they stack with the later charms. Also, I know we disagree on charm repurchases, but a lot of the over poweredness of these could be tempered by removing the free upgrades. I could look past some of the issues if there was more xp sunk into the tree. I would also examine a couple of the chams base enties like Cost, Mins, Type, Keywords, and Duration. A few of them were missing entries I think.

Overall I say this is awesome work, very creative, thoughtful, and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing. I critiqued these as honestly as I could.

One last thing, what use are these charms to you, will you be introducing them to your game to your placers, is it just a creative outlet, or will you be using them on a character?

Craft rewrite.
      Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Originally posted by Maudova View Post
        This as a stand alone charm is actually quite good and thematic with twilight caste sorc. I think its a little over powered combined with "Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown"
        Will think about it. Maybe will add "more Controlly" ( ;-) ) spell (the one you learn first) that this Charm works with.

I think this is a pretty cool charm. I do think it needs a cooldown/reset condition. Being able just shunt over success at a rate of 2 per bashing and then push that to a spirit or familiar ala Shadow Run Conjuring spirits type rules make this pretty easy to have zero side effects and free sorcerous motes.
        Will think about it.

I think this is missing the Occult requirement in the prerequisites. A question on the mechanic of the soak enhancement, is this (Int + Occ + Essence)/2 or int + occ + (essence /2)? I know this is supposed to be a honest critique of the charms here, however I don't think the shielding evocation makes sense with the talisman of ten thousand eyes. While this evocation, if identical to the posted charm, activates with spells it doesn't directly enhance or alter spells nor does it enhance the senses.

pg. 470 ex3
        "Evocations: Exalted sorcerers may master Evocations of the Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes. These Evocations typically enhance the wearer’s senses, both mundane and spiritual, or directly enhance or alter spells."

I would also consider the interaction with the talisman of ten thousand eyes sorcerous mote conversion combo with Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown to be over powered.
        Yes, it does miss them. Will get to repairing that. It's [int + occ + (essence /2)], in order to make it into hybrid of medium/heavy armor, which works only when casting Spells. It's balanced around Diamond-Body Prana (and they work very well together).
        For Talisman - I'm going with my talisman Evocations, build around Eye of Agamotto and some other effects. The shield builds thematically from rest of the Evocations and I consider it thematically good effect made around powerful mages protected by their own Spells while casting. I don't think Talisman should be that much restricted, it's pretty much emulation of Eye of Agamotto (which had few more tricks to it's sleeve) with Shen being almost direct port of Strange into Exalted...

I like this spell simply because it fills a niche that sorcerers are missing in spell casting. Mechanically speaking I think this should be a supplemental charm with a duration of one action. Though I am curious how you envision this interacting with Death Ray. This charm should also have split effects for withering and decisive attack spells having the dual keyword or possibly be perilous and only be allowed to function for decisive attack spells. Regardless it needs to have some keyword denoting its relationship to damage type to help cement it.
        Decisive-only (there are no Withering Spells I think, which is exactly why I was asked for a Charm to build Initiative for casters). Will need to add this to Charm description itself.

This charm while a bit wordy is pretty good. I am curious about the additional mean provided. Is this a way of turning occult into the Complementary Ability w/ charm purchase into a means addition?
        More like Complementary Spells - if you know Charm, you gain additional Means (this is how most people I talked with on this forum think Heaven-Turning Calculations should work with Workings).

I would personally remove the essence 5 upgrade altogether. Allowing a Solar to perform cosmos altering magics in less than a week is a massive game changer preventing most any sorcerer or force in creation from stepping in and stopping the character from pulling off changing the fundamentals of the cosmos. When even the most puissant sorcerers of the first age struggled with this level of working taking at least a season to accomplish.
        This is session situation - for me, players rarely have that much downtime to work on such events, so this is not that powerful. For someone with a long downtime this will be certainly too powerful.
        On the other hand, this Charm allows for "you need to get there NOW" stories more if needed, while normal Workings rules pretty much allows character to get coffee break before ;-)

Thematically this is a great charm, I would say its mechanically under powered for a pinnacle charm though. Not sure where to make the improvement.
        I was thinking about resetting it by shedding anima, but decided it will be then too powerful. Maybe different reset condition?

So the whole charm tree you've built is very creative and I like how you approached occult and sorcery. I only see a few places where mechanics can be shifted to bring this in line with the power level of charms at the essence and ability levels you are putting them at. I think several of the issues stem from WoKW and interactions with control spells being too powerful as they stack with the later charms. Also, I know we disagree on charm repurchases, but a lot of the over poweredness of these could be tempered by removing the free upgrades. I could look past some of the issues if there was more xp sunk into the tree. I would also examine a couple of the chams base enties like Cost, Mins, Type, Keywords, and Duration. A few of them were missing entries I think.

Overall I say this is awesome work, very creative, thoughtful, and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing. I critiqued these as honestly as I could.

One last thing, what use are these charms to you, will you be introducing them to your game to your placers, is it just a creative outlet, or will you be using them on a character?
        Thanks a lot for a kind words :-) WIll work on improvements, but unfortunatelly not immediatelly.
        I will be using these Charms on my character and NPC Sorcerers (we have elastic GM situation with players taking turns on stories, while I'm usually main GM), however this time the session is planned as almost mechanic-less because most players I play with don't like mechanics in the the game and prefer pure narrative storytelling. I'm making some strange amalgamation of Lina Inverse from Slayers, Pascal from Tales of Graces and Steven Strange from Marvel

My homebrew/rewrites:
        2nd->3rd Edition Sorcery Spells Rewrite
        Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Evocations
        Solar Occult Charms for Sorcerers
        Solar Thrown Charms (with Solar Danmaku Charms)

Comment

Bug fixes and new features:

Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown - added note about changing Charm's free upgrades into repurchases
          Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment - added "Once per scene" for damage mitigation, added reset condition that synergize with new Backers Charms. "She can avoid damage this way only once per scene unless she reset this effect by healing at least one point of damage of Spirit which suffered damage instead of her."
          Words-as-Shield Method - added Occult 5 prerequisite
          Words-as-Swords Stance - decreased cost to 3m because of type change; changed to Supplemental with Duration One Spell to avoid possibility of someone having this Charm used once for twenty Cloudkill effects (now you have to commit motes to every Spell you supplement); clarified that only Decisive damage grants additional Initiative; clarified interactions with Spells longer than Instant.
          Words of World Unknown - added note about risk of E5 upgrade in games with lot of downtime
          Burning Anima Evocation - can now be reset by using Spirit-Drawing Oculus, increasing synergy of these two Charms even further.
          Last edited by Daerian; 08-20-2016, 01:04 AM.

My homebrew/rewrites:
          2nd->3rd Edition Sorcery Spells Rewrite
          Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Evocations
          Solar Occult Charms for Sorcerers
          Solar Thrown Charms (with Solar Danmaku Charms)

Comment

I love these. Defiantly going in my book.

Comment

I'd just like to thank you for your hard work on this charm set I think its amazing and I've discussed it with my group and I get to use it yay. as for the people who ask "why you need more rituals and/or control spells?", I ask "are you mad? I need all the rituals and every spell must be a control spell. Mwahahahaha" *ehem* sorry I think I may have a point or 2 of permanent limit. lol

Comment

Working...
              X