X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daerian
    started a topic Occult - Sorcery Charms (Homebrew) [PEACH]

Occult - Sorcery Charms (Homebrew) [PEACH]

So, as I have written in my topic about problems with Twilights - batch of Occult Charms concentrated on Sorcery. Please evaluate and criticise honestly.

Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Terrestrial Circle Sorcery
    If there is one thing Copper Spiders are known for, it’s their thirst for knowledge. Always looking for answers and new information, no Solar Sorcerer would be content with knowledge already learned, trying to always expand what she knows, nor would she wait for enlightenment.
    Upon learning this Charm Solar gains additional Shaping Ritual and choses (Essence) spells she knows from Terrestrial Circle – they become her additional Control Spells. If she doesn’t know enough spells, the next spell she learns become her additional Control Spell if applicable. If not, the spell after. Each time she rises in Essence to level that would grant her additional Control Spell, she choose one from spells known.
    At E4 this Charm automatically upgrades if the Sorcerer knows Celestial Circle Sorcery, granting one additional Sorcerous Ritual and the same upgrades to (Essence/2, rounded up) Celestial Circle spells, with the same rules as before for acquisition.
    At E5 if the Sorcerer known Solar Circle Sorcery she gains one additional Sorcerous Ritual and changes one additional spell from Solar Circle into her Control Spell, with the same rules as before for acquisition.
    Additionally, if Occult is Supernal Ability of the Solar, this Charm permanently decreases prerequisite Essence required for learning Celestial and Solar Circle Spells to 2 and 4 Essence, respectively.

Special balance note: Few people in this topic consider this Charm a little/more than little too strong as written. I personally don't think that (for me this Charm is power enabler and requires big investment to reap it's benefits, which in my opinion balances it), but if you too find this Charm too powerful please change E5 (or both E4 and E5) free upgrades into repurchases.

Comment: Control spells and their changing, permanent effects on character are cool so I consider giving more of them interesting way to power and at the same time make Sorcerer more distinctive character. It might seem as diminishing each Sorcerer uniqueness, but in my opinion if strengthens it, even allowing player to choose spells for purely cosmetic effects, like having cool shadows of butterflies around character without getting stink eye from rest of players (and player’s own inner power gamer) for not taking OP Mist of Eventide control effect. Be however wary if there are more than one dedicated Sorcerer in party (unlikely event, I think).
    Additionally, this Charm makes it possible to learn CCS and SCS faster without having to write it down in growing list of every group houserules.

Refinement of Knowledge Unknown
    Cost: —; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown, All-Encompassing Sorcerer’s Sight
    The Copper Spiders are greatest Sorcerers know to the world, and their knowledge of unknown laws and powers are unmatched. Add (higher of Essence or three) non-Charm bonus dice to Solar’s spell effects and any Occult rolls which involves dealing with Spirits or different realms of existence (for example, Wyld or Malfeas). These dices cannot be added to Shaping Sorcery rolls.
    Additionally, knowing this Charms always counts as +1 Means for Sorcerous Workings.
    This Charm specifically does not stack with Heaven-Turning Calculations.
    Comment: Better than Heaven-Turning Calculations for Sorcerer, worse for omni disciplinary Twilight.

Spiritual Principles Understanding
    Cost: (+2m) ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Burning Exorcism Technique
    Calling upon Spirits she studied, the Solar Sorcerer can apply principles of studied Essence to shaping her own vision of Creation.
    While activating Ancient Tongue Understanding, the Solar can pay additional 2 motes. If she does, when Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver can add 1 dice to all her Shaping Sorcery and Wyld-Shaping rolls for every spirit familiar she has or spirit she has bound with Burning Exorcism Technique. She can add up to her (Essence) dice. These dice are considered non-Charm dice when casting her Control Spells.
    Comment: Works better for Twilights, but doesn’t give them anything others cannot attain if they wish, which is show I want Sorcery to work.

Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment
    Prerequisite Charms: Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown
    As the Sorcerer knowledge grows, she becomes more and more attuned to the world and its Essence, internalizing principles of Sorcery into herself.
    Upon learning this Charm Sorcerer gains special pool of sorcerous motes, one mote for every spell she knows, up to a maximum of ten sorcerous motes. She can spend these motes while casting any spell or effect requiring sorcerous motes. Initially empty, she can fill this pool in two ways:
    First, when resting she can decide to not regain Willpower and instead roll (Occult) dice, adding 1 sorcerous motes to her pool for every success rolled. This roll cannot be supported by other magic.
    Secondly, when casting a spell with fixed mote cost she can add all threshold successes on Shaping Sorcery roll (in another words, all Sorcerous motes gathered beyond cost of the spell) to her inner pool. She will however suffer 1 level of bashing damage for each two motes internalized in this way, as she pull raw forces into herself. If the Lawgiver has willing spiritual familiar or bound demon in medium range of her, she can Reflexively make them suffer that cost instead. She can avoid damage this way only once per scene unless she reset this effect by healing at least one point of damage of Spirit which suffered damage instead of her.
    The Sorcerous motes in this pool last until next time Sorcerer rest enough to be viable for regaining willpower or until she loses consciousness.
    Comment: Inner pool of magic – pretty standard thing in my opinion, most Abilities have one, even if not called explicitly. Can be used as way to safely gain damage to transfer with Lore abilities, or send to bound demons or willing familiar (yes, familiar must be ok with that before you can do it) if Sorcerer doesn’t want risk.

Words-as-Shield Method
    Cost: 5m ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Dual
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment
    As the Sorcerer masters her body and mind, forging them anew in flames of her inner power, she learns to channel her Essence outward, to protect herself from harm. This power materialize as semitransparent sphere around Sorcerer, often marked by hues of her anima.
    When Sorcerer is taking shaping sorcery action she can activate this Charm and then gains (Occult + Intelligence + Essence/2, rounded down) soak until her spell is cast. This effect doesn’t stack with other magic or armor – use only the higher value. Against decisive attacks, this Charm provides (Intelligence) hardness or, if Sorcerer has Twilight anima power active, adds 2 to its power.
    After spell is cast, this effect lingers until sorcerer’s next action and then subside after it, to return when Sorcerer takes her next Shape Sorcery action.
    Special activation rules: If the Sorcerer knows Evocation of Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Sorcerer’s Supreme Soul she can activate both powers at once, paying only 8m. Then she gains (Occult + Intelligence + Essence) soak, Hardness (Intelligence+1) or if Sorcerer has Twilight anima power active, add 3 to its power instead of normal bonuses, but all timing rules still apply. Additionally, both Withering and Decisive damage she receives is decreased by three as long as the shield is active.
    Comment: My Evocation Sorcerer’s Supreme Soul from Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes has pretty much the same effect and I didn’t want to make it obsolete –hence special activation rules making knowing them both pretty much Charm and it’s upgrade purchases.

Words-as-Swords Stance
    Cost: 3m ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Type: Supplemental
    Duration: One Spell
    Most Sorcerers prefer to avoid conflict, but not all of them will be always able to do so. These who try to raise their hands against Lawgiver will find their hands burned.
    While this Charm is active, when the Sorcerer takes the first shape sorcery action to begin casting a spell treat that has direct damage component (examples from Core: Death of Obsidian Butterflies, Flight of Brilliant Raptor, Death Ray) Sorcerer can strengthen her spell and only then cast it - by gathering more sorcerous motes. She can gather up to (2 x Essence) more sorcerous motes before casting spell. Each 2 sorcerous motes gathered add 1 dice to spell damage.
    Additionally, while this Charm is active the Lawgiver gains one point of Initiative for every two decisive damage levels her spells deal, up to (Occult) points per spell cast. This Initiative is added to her pool instantly after cast if the spell doesn’t reset her Initiative or after Initiative reset if it does. If she incapacitate or render enemy unconscious (for example with Mist of Eventide effect) she gains additional point of Initiative. Spells with Duration longer than Instant require commitment of motes until they end, but gain accumulated bonus damage and grant Initiative every time they damage foe.
    Comment: Way for combat Sorcerers to build up Initiative for spells using it or defensive effects. This is effect I’m really not sure about.

Words of World Unknown
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 4
    Prerequisite Charms: Refinement of Knowledge Unknown, Spiritual Principles Understanding
    There is a language older than any other, one from which Old Realm was born, the language spoken when Creation was first born, the words of creation itself. Through the understanding of the spiritual world Solar rises to the highest power, her own words shaping world around her. Upon learning this Charm, the Ancient Tongue Understanding upgrades further, encompassing true power of creation.
    First, the Lawgiver is capable of understanding every language known by her Spirit Familiars while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active. If she is literate, she can also read Old Realm and any of the languages known by her Spirit Familiars.
    Second, while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver automatically speaks and understands language older than even Old Realm (she can however choose to speak normal Old Realm if she wishes), yet eerily similar to it – anyone who known Old Realm will understand her easily. When Solar speaks this language, her words take on strange, alien tones, terrifying to mortals and lowly Spirits. When talking to any other being than gods, elemental and demons, she takes a -3 penalty on all social influence actions other than threaten. However, when speaking with gods, elemental and demons she gains (Essence/2, rounded up) automatic non-charm success on all influence rolls. Additionally, when speaking this version of Old Realm, she will find Creation answering to her wishes easier, almost as she makes them – she gains one additional automatic successes to all Occult rolls and shaping actions. Additionally, as long as Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working, this Charm counts as two additional Means, as the Essence of Creation itself wants to be willed into new form by Sorcerer. Failure to do so instantly removes both additional Means from current Workings.
    At Essence 5 this Charm automatically upgrades, changing Workings base interval from one week to one day, but only if Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working. Failure to do so instantly set next interval to one week.

Special balance note: Essence 5 upgrade can be very dangerous if your party often has long downtimes and free time to pursue crafting/sorcerous workings projects. Please be aware of that and remove this upgrade if it would break your game.

Comment: This Charm is getting on Linguistics heels strongly, but I think it has its place in Occult, as language of creation and words of power are old and well known parts of many magic systems. I don’t know if “Sorcery is language Primordials used to shape Creation” will be still canon, but bite me – I like this part.

Burning Anima Evocation
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 5
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Six Eternities’ Travail, Spirit-Drawing Oculus
    As the Solar learns to channel the Essence of the world through her body, she becomes something even more than momentary vector for incredible power – she becomes the master of rules of the world, and her spells will rewrite it to her will.
    Every time when the Lawgiver anima intensifies by one step, she can roll amount of dice up to her (Occult), equal to the (half of the motes spend, rounded up), to gain sorcerous mote for every success. She can gain motes for every anima level only once per scene unless she resets this Charm by using Spirit-Drawing Oculus. This roll cannot be supported by other magic. If the Solar uses Spirit-Drawing Oculus after gaining sorcerous motes with Burning Anima Evocation, she gains one non-charm automatic success for every three sorcerous motes gained from Burning Anima Evocation in this scene.
    Comment: I really like effects scaling with anima rising, not only shedding it to power Charms.
    Last edited by Daerian; 08-20-2016, 01:02 AM.

• Tsunami
    replied
    I'd just like to thank you for your hard work on this charm set I think its amazing and I've discussed it with my group and I get to use it yay. as for the people who ask "why you need more rituals and/or control spells?", I ask "are you mad? I need all the rituals and every spell must be a control spell. Mwahahahaha" *ehem* sorry I think I may have a point or 2 of permanent limit. lol

Leave a comment:

• Wiwuno
    replied
    I love these. Defiantly going in my book.

Leave a comment:

• Daerian
    replied
    Bug fixes and new features:

Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown - added note about changing Charm's free upgrades into repurchases
    Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment - added "Once per scene" for damage mitigation, added reset condition that synergize with new Backers Charms. "She can avoid damage this way only once per scene unless she reset this effect by healing at least one point of damage of Spirit which suffered damage instead of her."
    Words-as-Shield Method - added Occult 5 prerequisite
    Words-as-Swords Stance - decreased cost to 3m because of type change; changed to Supplemental with Duration One Spell to avoid possibility of someone having this Charm used once for twenty Cloudkill effects (now you have to commit motes to every Spell you supplement); clarified that only Decisive damage grants additional Initiative; clarified interactions with Spells longer than Instant.
    Words of World Unknown - added note about risk of E5 upgrade in games with lot of downtime
    Burning Anima Evocation - can now be reset by using Spirit-Drawing Oculus, increasing synergy of these two Charms even further.
    Last edited by Daerian; 08-20-2016, 01:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Daerian
    replied
    Originally posted by Maudova View Post
    This as a stand alone charm is actually quite good and thematic with twilight caste sorc. I think its a little over powered combined with "Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown"
    Will think about it. Maybe will add "more Controlly" ( ;-) ) spell (the one you learn first) that this Charm works with.

I think this is a pretty cool charm. I do think it needs a cooldown/reset condition. Being able just shunt over success at a rate of 2 per bashing and then push that to a spirit or familiar ala Shadow Run Conjuring spirits type rules make this pretty easy to have zero side effects and free sorcerous motes.
    Will think about it.

I think this is missing the Occult requirement in the prerequisites. A question on the mechanic of the soak enhancement, is this (Int + Occ + Essence)/2 or int + occ + (essence /2)? I know this is supposed to be a honest critique of the charms here, however I don't think the shielding evocation makes sense with the talisman of ten thousand eyes. While this evocation, if identical to the posted charm, activates with spells it doesn't directly enhance or alter spells nor does it enhance the senses.

pg. 470 ex3
    "Evocations: Exalted sorcerers may master Evocations of the Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes. These Evocations typically enhance the wearer’s senses, both mundane and spiritual, or directly enhance or alter spells."

I would also consider the interaction with the talisman of ten thousand eyes sorcerous mote conversion combo with Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown to be over powered.
    Yes, it does miss them. Will get to repairing that. It's [int + occ + (essence /2)], in order to make it into hybrid of medium/heavy armor, which works only when casting Spells. It's balanced around Diamond-Body Prana (and they work very well together).
    For Talisman - I'm going with my talisman Evocations, build around Eye of Agamotto and some other effects. The shield builds thematically from rest of the Evocations and I consider it thematically good effect made around powerful mages protected by their own Spells while casting. I don't think Talisman should be that much restricted, it's pretty much emulation of Eye of Agamotto (which had few more tricks to it's sleeve) with Shen being almost direct port of Strange into Exalted...

I like this spell simply because it fills a niche that sorcerers are missing in spell casting. Mechanically speaking I think this should be a supplemental charm with a duration of one action. Though I am curious how you envision this interacting with Death Ray. This charm should also have split effects for withering and decisive attack spells having the dual keyword or possibly be perilous and only be allowed to function for decisive attack spells. Regardless it needs to have some keyword denoting its relationship to damage type to help cement it.
    Decisive-only (there are no Withering Spells I think, which is exactly why I was asked for a Charm to build Initiative for casters). Will need to add this to Charm description itself.

This charm while a bit wordy is pretty good. I am curious about the additional mean provided. Is this a way of turning occult into the Complementary Ability w/ charm purchase into a means addition?
    More like Complementary Spells - if you know Charm, you gain additional Means (this is how most people I talked with on this forum think Heaven-Turning Calculations should work with Workings).

I would personally remove the essence 5 upgrade altogether. Allowing a Solar to perform cosmos altering magics in less than a week is a massive game changer preventing most any sorcerer or force in creation from stepping in and stopping the character from pulling off changing the fundamentals of the cosmos. When even the most puissant sorcerers of the first age struggled with this level of working taking at least a season to accomplish.
    This is session situation - for me, players rarely have that much downtime to work on such events, so this is not that powerful. For someone with a long downtime this will be certainly too powerful.
    On the other hand, this Charm allows for "you need to get there NOW" stories more if needed, while normal Workings rules pretty much allows character to get coffee break before ;-)

Thematically this is a great charm, I would say its mechanically under powered for a pinnacle charm though. Not sure where to make the improvement.
    I was thinking about resetting it by shedding anima, but decided it will be then too powerful. Maybe different reset condition?

So the whole charm tree you've built is very creative and I like how you approached occult and sorcery. I only see a few places where mechanics can be shifted to bring this in line with the power level of charms at the essence and ability levels you are putting them at. I think several of the issues stem from WoKW and interactions with control spells being too powerful as they stack with the later charms. Also, I know we disagree on charm repurchases, but a lot of the over poweredness of these could be tempered by removing the free upgrades. I could look past some of the issues if there was more xp sunk into the tree. I would also examine a couple of the chams base enties like Cost, Mins, Type, Keywords, and Duration. A few of them were missing entries I think.

Overall I say this is awesome work, very creative, thoughtful, and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing. I critiqued these as honestly as I could.

One last thing, what use are these charms to you, will you be introducing them to your game to your placers, is it just a creative outlet, or will you be using them on a character?
    Thanks a lot for a kind words :-) WIll work on improvements, but unfortunatelly not immediatelly.
    I will be using these Charms on my character and NPC Sorcerers (we have elastic GM situation with players taking turns on stories, while I'm usually main GM), however this time the session is planned as almost mechanic-less because most players I play with don't like mechanics in the the game and prefer pure narrative storytelling. I'm making some strange amalgamation of Lina Inverse from Slayers, Pascal from Tales of Graces and Steven Strange from Marvel

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Originally posted by Daerian View Post
    Burning Anima Evocation
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 5
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Six Eternities’ Travail, Spirit-Drawing Oculus
    As the Solar learns to channel the Essence of the world through her body, she becomes something even more than momentary vector for incredible power – she becomes the master of rules of the world, and her spells will rewrite it to her will.
    Every time when the Lawgiver anima intensifies by one step, she can roll amount of dice up to her (Occult), equal to the (half of the motes spend, rounded up), to gain sorcerous mote for every success. She can gain motes for every anima level only once per scene. This roll cannot be supported by other magic. If the Solar uses Spirit-Drawing Oculus after gaining sorcerous motes with Burning Anima Evocation, she gains one non-charm automatic success for every three sorcerous motes gained from Burning Anima Evocation in this scene.
    Comment: I really like effects scaling with anima rising, not only shedding it to power Charms.
    Thematically this is a great charm, I would say its mechanically under powered for a pinnacle charm though. Not sure where to make the improvement.

So the whole charm tree you've built is very creative and I like how you approached occult and sorcery. I only see a few places where mechanics can be shifted to bring this in line with the power level of charms at the essence and ability levels you are putting them at. I think several of the issues stem from WoKW and interactions with control spells being too powerful as they stack with the later charms. Also, I know we disagree on charm repurchases, but a lot of the over poweredness of these could be tempered by removing the free upgrades. I could look past some of the issues if there was more xp sunk into the tree. I would also examine a couple of the chams base enties like Cost, Mins, Type, Keywords, and Duration. A few of them were missing entries I think.

Overall I say this is awesome work, very creative, thoughtful, and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing. I critiqued these as honestly as I could.

One last thing, what use are these charms to you, will you be introducing them to your game to your placers, is it just a creative outlet, or will you be using them on a character?

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Words of World Unknown
    Cost: - ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 4
    Prerequisite Charms: Refinement of Knowledge Unknown, Spiritual Principles Understanding
    There is a language older than any other, one from which Old Realm was born, the language spoken when Creation was first born, the words of creation itself. Through the understanding of the spiritual world Solar rises to the highest power, her own words shaping world around her. Upon learning this Charm, the Ancient Tongue Understanding upgrades further, encompassing true power of creation.
    First, the Lawgiver is capable of understanding every language known by her Spirit Familiars while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active. If she is literate, she can also read Old Realm and any of the languages known by her Spirit Familiars.
    Second, while Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver automatically speaks and understands language older than even Old Realm (she can however choose to speak normal Old Realm if she wishes), yet eerily similar to it – anyone who known Old Realm will understand her easily. When Solar speaks this language, her words take on strange, alien tones, terrifying to mortals and lowly Spirits. When talking to any other being than gods, elemental and demons, she takes a -3 penalty on all social influence actions other than threaten. However, when speaking with gods, elemental and demons she gains (Essence/2, rounded up) automatic non-charm success on all influence rolls. Additionally, when speaking this version of Old Realm, she will find Creation answering to her wishes easier, almost as she makes them – she gains one additional automatic successes to all Occult rolls and shaping actions. Additionally, as long as Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working, this Charm counts as two additional Means, as the Essence of Creation itself wants to be willed into new form by Sorcerer. Failure to do so instantly removes both additional Means from current Workings.
    At Essence 5 this Charm automatically upgrades, changing Workings base interval from one week to one day, but only if Sorcerer uses this Charm upgrade effect of Ancient Tongue Understanding on all rolls for Sorcerous Working. Failure to do so instantly set next interval to one week.
    Comment: This Charm is getting on Linguistics heels strongly, but I think it has its place in Occult, as language of creation and words of power are old and well known parts of many magic systems. I don’t know if “Sorcery is language Primordials used to shape Creation” will be still canon, but bite me – I like this part.
    This charm while a bit wordy is pretty good. I am curious about the additional mean provided. Is this a way of turning occult into the Complementary Ability w/ charm purchase into a means addition?

I would personally remove the essence 5 upgrade altogether. Allowing a Solar to perform cosmos altering magics in less than a week is a massive game changer preventing most any sorcerer or force in creation from stepping in and stopping the character from pulling off changing the fundamentals of the cosmos. When even the most puissant sorcerers of the first age struggled with this level of working taking at least a season to accomplish.

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Words-as-Swords Stance
    Cost: 4m ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Duration: One scene
    Most Sorcerers prefer to avoid conflict, but not all of them will be always able to do so. These who try to raise their hands against Lawgiver will find their hands burned.
    While this Charm is active, when the Sorcerer takes the first shape sorcery action to begin casting a spell treat that has direct damage component (examples from Core: Death of Obsidian Butterflies, Flight of Brilliant Raptor, Death Ray) Sorcerer can strengthen her spell and only then cast it - by gathering more sorcerous motes. She can gather up to (2 x Essence) more sorcerous motes before casting spell. Each 2 sorcerous motes gathered add 1 dice to spell damage.
    Additionally, while this Charm is active the Lawgiver gains one point of Initiative for every two damage levels her spells deal, up to (Occult) points per spell cast. This Initiative is added to her pool instantly after cast if the spell doesn’t reset her Initiative or after Initiative reset if it does. If she incapacitate or render enemy unconscious (for example with Mist of Eventide effect) she gains additional point of Initiative.
    Comment: Way for combat Sorcerers to build up Initiative for spells using it or defensive effects. This is effect I’m really not sure about.
    I like this spell simply because it fills a niche that sorcerers are missing in spell casting. Mechanically speaking I think this should be a supplemental charm with a duration of one action. Though I am curious how you envision this interacting with Death Ray. This charm should also have split effects for withering and decisive attack spells having the dual keyword or possibly be perilous and only be allowed to function for decisive attack spells. Regardless it needs to have some keyword denoting its relationship to damage type to help cement it.

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Words-as-Shield Method
    Cost: 5m ; Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: Dual
    Duration: One Scene
    As the Sorcerer masters her body and mind, forging them anew in flames of her inner power, she learns to channel her Essence outward, to protect herself from harm. This power materialize as semitransparent sphere around Sorcerer, often marked by hues of her anima.
    When Sorcerer is taking shaping sorcery action she can activate this Charm and then gains (Occult + Intelligence + Essence/2, rounded down) soak until her spell is cast. This effect doesn’t stack with other magic or armor – use only the higher value. Against decisive attacks, this Charm provides (Intelligence) hardness or, if Sorcerer has Twilight anima power active, adds 2 to its power.
    After spell is cast, this effect lingers until sorcerer’s next action and then subside after it, to return when Sorcerer takes her next Shape Sorcery action.
    Special activation rules: If the Sorcerer knows Evocation of Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes Sorcerer’s Supreme Soul she can activate both powers at once, paying only 8m. Then she gains (Occult + Intelligence + Essence) soak, Hardness (Intelligence+1) or if Sorcerer has Twilight anima power active, add 3 to its power instead of normal bonuses, but all timing rules still apply. Additionally, both Withering and Decisive damage she receives is decreased by three as long as the shield is active.
    Comment: My Evocation Sorcerer’s Supreme Soul from Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes has pretty much the same effect and I didn’t want to make it obsolete –hence special activation rules making knowing them both pretty much Charm and it’s upgrade purchases.
    I think this is missing the Occult requirement in the prerequisites. A question on the mechanic of the soak enhancement, is this (Int + Occ + Essence)/2 or int + occ + (essence /2)? I know this is supposed to be a honest critique of the charms here, however I don't think the shielding evocation makes sense with the talisman of ten thousand eyes. While this evocation, if identical to the posted charm, activates with spells it doesn't directly enhance or alter spells nor does it enhance the senses.

pg. 470 ex3
    "Evocations: Exalted sorcerers may master Evocations of the Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes. These Evocations typically enhance the wearer’s senses, both mundane and spiritual, or directly enhance or alter spells."

I would also consider the interaction with the talisman of ten thousand eyes sorcerous mote conversion combo with Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown to be over powered.
    Last edited by Maudova; 08-02-2016, 11:43 PM. Reason: revised my critique

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Inner Forge of Spiritual Enlightenment
    Prerequisite Charms: Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown
    As the Sorcerer knowledge grows, she becomes more and more attuned to the world and its Essence, internalizing principles of Sorcery into herself.
    Upon learning this Charm Sorcerer gains special pool of sorcerous motes, one mote for every spell she knows, up to a maximum of ten sorcerous motes. She can spend these motes while casting any spell or effect requiring sorcerous motes. Initially empty, she can fill this pool in two ways:
    First, when resting she can decide to not regain Willpower and instead roll (Occult) dice, adding 1 sorcerous motes to her pool for every success rolled. This roll cannot be supported by other magic.
    Secondly, when casting a spell with fixed mote cost she can add all threshold successes on Shaping Sorcery roll (in another words, all Sorcerous motes gathered beyond cost of the spell) to her inner pool. She will however suffer 1 level of bashing damage for each two motes internalized in this way, as she pull raw forces into herself. If the Lawgiver has willing spiritual familiar or bound demon in medium range of her, she can Reflexively make them suffer that cost instead.
    The Sorcerous motes in this pool last until next time Sorcerer rest enough to be viable for regaining willpower or until she loses consciousness.
    Comment: Inner pool of magic – pretty standard thing in my opinion, most Abilities have one, even if not called explicitly. Can be used as way to safely gain damage to transfer with Lore abilities, or send to bound demons or willing familiar (yes, familiar must be ok with that before you can do it) if Sorcerer doesn’t want risk.
    I think this is a pretty cool charm. I do think it needs a cooldown/reset condition. Being able just shunt over success at a rate of 2 per bashing and then push that to a spirit or familiar ala Shadow Run Conjuring spirits type rules make this pretty easy to have zero side effects and free sorcerous motes.

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Spiritual Principles Understanding
    Cost: (+2m) ; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Supernal Control Method, Burning Exorcism Technique
    Calling upon Spirits she studied, the Solar Sorcerer can apply principles of studied Essence to shaping her own vision of Creation.
    While activating Ancient Tongue Understanding, the Solar can pay additional 2 motes. If she does, when Ancient Tongue Understanding is active, the Lawgiver can add 1 dice to all her Shaping Sorcery and Wyld-Shaping rolls for every spirit familiar she has or spirit she has bound with Burning Exorcism Technique. She can add up to her (Essence) dice. These dice are considered non-Charm dice when casting her Control Spells.
    Comment: Works better for Twilights, but doesn’t give them anything others cannot attain if they wish, which is show I want Sorcery to work.
    This as a stand alone charm is actually quite good and thematic with twilight caste sorc. I think its a little over powered combined with "Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown"

Leave a comment:

• Daerian
    replied
    This looks great I like the flavor, and its a great addition to a sorcery focused solar. One thing I am curious about is what made you shift the mechanic from Heaven-Turning Calculations adding essence to the roll? Adding the higher of essence or 3 is making the charm more powerful than printed material of comparable effect/level. I would put this one solidly with HTC by changing that to match HTC.
    Thanks. I gave it (Essence or 3) because this Charm is useful in lesser amount of situations than HTC, so I strengthened it in this way to make it faster option to power for Sorcerers, which makes this Charm more desirable if you want to boost Sorcery - however, at the same time this is far less useful for Lore or Craft Twilight. Because of more narrow applications (well, HTC is probably to broad in its applications, but it's official Charm...) a little boost in power for starting players was in my opinion a good way of balancing.

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    Refinement of Knowledge Unknown
    Cost: —; Mins: Occult 5, Essence 3
    Prerequisite Charms: Wellspring of Knowledge Unknown, All-Encompassing Sorcerer’s Sight
    The Copper Spiders are greatest Sorcerers know to the world, and their knowledge of unknown laws and powers are unmatched. Add (higher of Essence or three) non-Charm bonus dice to Solar’s spell effects and any Occult rolls which involves dealing with Spirits or different realms of existence (for example, Wyld or Malfeas). These dices cannot be added to Shaping Sorcery rolls.
    Additionally, knowing this Charms always counts as +1 Means for Sorcerous Workings.
    This Charm specifically does not stack with Heaven-Turning Calculations.
    Comment: Better than Heaven-Turning Calculations for Sorcerer, worse for omni disciplinary Twilight. [/I]
    This looks great I like the flavor, and its a great addition to a sorcery focused solar. One thing I am curious about is what made you shift the mechanic from Heaven-Turning Calculations adding essence to the roll? Adding the higher of essence or 3 is making the charm more powerful than printed material of comparable effect/level. I would put this one solidly with HTC by changing that to match HTC.
    Last edited by Maudova; 07-28-2016, 04:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Daerian
    replied
    It seems like you would at least need to know the spell to master it to the point of it being a control spell. That first spell you choose initiating into the emerald circle is the spell that essentially shapes your understanding of sorcery. I think having a "hanging" control spell an instant master of the next spell you learn is not thematic to exalted. Exalted push limits, master the unmasterable, through action not just automagically.
    For me it's thematic - you are a Solar, a master of abilities. When you learn a new Spell you pour your Excellence into it, mastering it beyond what other Sorcerers would gain.

Fair enough. As it stands in my opinion is that this charm is overpowered without repurchases.
    As I explained before, I don't really consider this Charm overpowered, because it doesn't really give you anything special (you can learn new Rituals in story, you need Occult Supernal to really gain faster Sorcery bonuses, you need Spell to make them Control Spells) without buying other things. It's pretty much power enabler, not really useful by itself, you need to buy other things to really make it work - so in my opinion, it balances itself in this way.

Well I would say if it works for your game to Supernal Occult to Sorcery then go for it. I don't think it needs to be tinkered with through charm use. I actually wondered myself why Sorcery wasn't granted an easier path via supernal occult.
    As I said, this is in Charm to make it easier to remember and not have to make new list of house rules when starting first game. In this way it's easier to went to GM with list of custom Charm for approval instead of getting list of house rules, Charms, Spells and something else probably to approve.

You can say the same thing about a melee focused character being disarmed.
    Well, not really. Disarming character allows him to summon weapon back or get another easily - you as Sorcerer however cannot dismiss Distorted Spells and gains strong weakness for it (for example, distorted Body of Bronze can pretty much kill you).

Leave a comment:

• Maudova
    replied
    I'm not exactly sure what is problem here thematically - it's the same as choosing your first Spell ever as Control Spell when learning Emerald Circle Charm. You learn Spells you want most first (put of character) or spells you learn first shape your sorcerous ways (in character).
    It seems like you would at least need to know the spell to master it to the point of it being a control spell. That first spell you choose initiating into the emerald circle is the spell that essentially shapes your understanding of sorcery. I think having a "hanging" control spell an instant master of the next spell you learn is not thematic to exalted. Exalted push limits, master the unmasterable, through action not just automagically.

It's not really my fault that Occult encompasses not only Sorcery, but also both knowledge of unknown coming from studies and instinctual knowledge of unknown. Occult as Ability itself is getting close to Lore in part of "unknown knowledge". I have written why I consider this Charm as one package and don't consider it too powerful before, but will answer to you below :-)
    True it isn't your fault. I am just performing a PEACH for you as the title is asking for.

I'm not sure if I have written it here or in another topic, but I personally hate repurchases of Charms - I consider them pretty dull and annoying, exponentially increasing Charm bloat and not really fun to buy. You can of course break this Charm into repurchases for your use if you consider it unbalanced, but I'm not going to do it.
    Fair enough. As it stands in my opinion is that this charm is overpowered without repurchases.

I don't think so and I have opinion of one of developers that doing this as house rule with Supernal Occult is not a problem, so I see no problems with making it a part of Charm that must be purchased. Personally I see a problem with allowing everyone but Sorcerers their E5 toys at low Essence.
    Well I would say if it works for your game to Supernal Occult to Sorcery then go for it. I don't think it needs to be tinkered with through charm use. I actually wondered myself why Sorcery wasn't granted an easier path via supernal occult.

Yes, but you can often get Distorted while using these spell, often changing your advantage into dangerous disadvantage.
    You can say the same thing about a melee focused character being disarmed.

Thanks a lot for kind words, but I think this Charm is balanced - it doesn't really do that much until you buy a lot of different things and raise your Essence.

Yes, instead they made Occult Supernal almost useless for Sorcerers, which is even worse in my opinion. Additionally, I don't see any problem with Occult being almost mandatory for Sorcerer, it's like talking that it's bad that Melee (or maybe MA if you want Kenshin) is mandatory for swordsman, Archery for archer, Brawl is mandatory for wrestler or Sail for ship captain.
    I'd say again I agree with the Devs if you want occult supernal to give circles of sorcery early go for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X