No announcement yet.

[Homebrew] Sorcery Charms (and a Merit)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] Sorcery Charms (and a Merit)

Saw other people posting Sorcery Charms, felt inspired. So...

Additional Shaping Ritual (Merit ••)
    You possess an additional shaping ritual from an archetype that you already have one from.

Spell-Breaking Word
    Cost: 3m; Supplemental (Instant)
    Prereqs: Occult 4, Essence 2, Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

The Solar Exalted are the true masters of sorcery. Other beings practice it only as long as the Lawgivers allow them to.

This Charm supplements a Distort or Counterspell action. It allows the action to target a spell from the circle above the Solar's highest, increases its range to Medium, removes all difficulties stemming from not knowing the target spell, and allows the action to be flurried normally.

With an Essence 3+ repurchase, the range of the enhanced action increases to Long. Moreover, it can target any spell of any circle and the Solar may flurry two Counterspell actions or two Distort actions enhanced this way as long as each is targeting a different spell.

Power-Draining Secret
    Cost: 2m; Supplemental (Instant)
    Prereqs: Occult 5, Essence 3, Spell-Breaking Word

Sorcery draws its power from the world around the sorcerer. So perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that the greatest sorcerers can draw from the magic of their enemies. Judging by the reactions of those targeted with this technique, though, it is very surprising indeed.

This Charm supplements a Counterspell action made while the Solar is shaping a spell. Any sorcerous motes that the target loses are added to the Solar's spell. The Solar does not lose motes for not making a Shape Sorcery action during a turn where she uses this.

Notes:

There are lots of niggling little restrictions on counterspelling and distorting. Removing them seems like a worthwhile Charm effect. Figure it's pretty safe balance-wise, because it'd be pretty hard for even total immunity to Sorcery to break anything.

There are good balance reasons not to let people bumrush Solar Circle Sorcery at chargen, but I don't think that should mean a Solar sorcerer can't mess with opposing Solar Circle spells until Essence 5.

Power-Draining Secret might be overpowered or it might be useless, I can't tell.

JayTee, you might want to take a look at these.
    Last edited by Sanctaphrax; 06-13-2016, 11:24 PM.

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
    Saw other people posting Sorcery Charms, felt inspired. So...

Additional Shaping Ritual (Merit ••)
    You possess an additional shaping ritual from an archetype that you already have one from.
    I'm going back and forth on this, partially because I am not sure I understand the wording in the book. Page 466 has a text box that reads "As a Solar sorcerer rises through the three circles, he gains more shaping rituals. These can be taken from rituals offered by his original archetype, but by no means is he limited to those."

That implies that only one of the effects offered by the initiation is usable by the sorcerer at first, but it doesn't really read like that when you read through the initiations. It reads like all of the effects are part of the same initiation, with only the listed merits bought separate.
    What am I missing?

Comment

On Spell-Breaking Word, I would make this an E2 charm, since it seems like the kind of masterful thing only a Supernal Occultist would be able to do from the moment of Exaltation. That would require either upping the E2 addition or just making it a repurchase. I am on the fence about allowing the flurries. Doubling an action seems a little like a bland power-up. Maybe allow the flurry when the purpose of the action relates to an Intimacy?

I'd edit the wording on the second paragraph of Power-Draining Secret to something like, “This Charm supplements flurry containing both a Counterspell action and a Shape Sorcery action. Sorcerers motes lost by the target are added to the Solar's spell. ”

Comment

Originally posted by BunniRabbi View Post
        I'm going back and forth on this, partially because I am not sure I understand the wording in the book. Page 466 has a text box that reads "As a Solar sorcerer rises through the three circles, he gains more shaping rituals. These can be taken from rituals offered by his original archetype, but by no means is he limited to those."

That implies that only one of the effects offered by the initiation is usable by the sorcerer at first, but it doesn't really read like that when you read through the initiations. It reads like all of the effects are part of the same initiation, with only the listed merits bought separate.
        What am I missing?
        My reading is that you only get one of the sorcerous-mote-generating rituals from your archetype.

On Spell-Breaking Word, I would make this an E2 charm, since it seems like the kind of masterful thing only a Supernal Occultist would be able to do from the moment of Exaltation.
        Sure, why not. Supernal Occult could use some extra juice for sorcerers anyway.

I am on the fence about allowing the flurries. Doubling an action seems a little like a bland power-up. Maybe allow the flurry when the purpose of the action relates to an Intimacy?
        It is a bit bland. But I think mixing in all the other stuff helps.

Would rather not add extra complexity.

I'd edit the wording on the second paragraph of Power-Draining Secret to something like, “This Charm supplements flurry containing both a Counterspell action and a Shape Sorcery action. Sorcerers motes lost by the target are added to the Solar's spell. ”
        Those actions aren't normally flurryable. I guess I could make them so, but I feel like the current effect is simpler and more elegant.

Comment

My reading is that you only get one of the sorcerous-mote-generating rituals from your archetype.
          Hmm, I hadn't read it that way before, and neither had anyone in my gaming group, but as I reread it now, I'm leaning towards your interpretation. Ugh. We have five sorcerers in our current game...

Those actions aren't normally flurryable. I guess I could make them so, but I feel like the current effect is simpler and more elegant.
          Doesn't the prerequisite charm make them flurriable? I may not have read carefully.

Comment

Doesn't the prerequisite charm make them flurriable? I may not have read carefully.
            It makes Counterspell flurryable, but not Shape Sorcery. And anyway, I'd like it to be possible to activate the second Charm without activating the first first.

Comment

The merit seems too cheep to me, I'd put it at 3-4 dots miniumum, other than that these look pretty good and I'd allow either of those charms at any table I ran.

Comment

Working...
              X