Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice.

Comment

I've been working on these concepts on and off over the past few weekends. My Eclipse Caste, Kalara, spends a lot of time in this disguise trying to convince everyone she's a suave, unyielding, gunslinging (male) Guild Master named Koh.

Considering I forgot to ever pick up any disguise skills when I first rolled this character, her initial try at this persona was more like Disney's Mulan never being 'quite right' for a guy. XD

I had a lot of fun exploring a cool look and pose for Koh (while practicing my concepting skills). I think I like 2, 5, and 6 the best for wardrobe and 4, 5, and 6 for poses. Which ones do you guys like?

My Exalted Art | My Exalted Fanfiction

Comment

2 for wardrobe, 4 for pose.

Comment

I prefer poses 7 and 8, but they're probably also the most cliche poses. Wardrobe 5 would be perfect to me if it had a spot of white somewhere.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_54_1416905226263_414[/ATTACH]

Comment

#5 has the best wardrobe, #7 has the best pose, and #4 has the best hair.

Comment

A very belated thanks for the feedback, TheCountAlucard, Hakushaku, and kingcrackers! I haven't been able to work on these character concepts much thanks to other projects and IRL things, but I'm back to writing on a sequel to Kalara's story, The Uncrucified, for NaNoWriMo and that no doubt means more art will be popping up here! If anyone's curious for more of the story, you can keep up with my progress excerpts and teases here.

Comment

Forgot to share this! Here are some progress shots and the final for the December 2016 Exalted Secret Santa art exchange. You can read more about the process behind this piece at the Sketch Diary entry.

Comment

More sketches and explorations of my Eclipse Caste, Kalara Vadras! I did these as a base so I could do some iterations with more costume and hairdos, but I think I may start over and try another art style and full body pose (she looks like she's dancing...badly. XD). These explorations got a little too far into the realistic realm, instead of something more anime-inspired. I have yet to find that balance between anime and realism that I think I nailed in The Uncrucified cover pic!

Here's a full body shot of Kalara complete with the wrapped chest she uses to disguise herself as Koh and temporary boy hair. You can also peek her Guild slave brand on her right forearm and the crucifixion scar in her left palm.

Comment

Camp NaNoWriMo started this month, which has been the perfect excuse for me to revise Kalara's prologue story, The Uncrucified! I've been keeping writing and art excerpts of my Camp NaNo adventures here, for the curious. I'll be dropping art here in this thread also (but definitely don't miss out on the writing snippets over on my tumblr!).

Now to play catch up with the sketches I've done so far for the event! Here's a head portrait of a young Kalara. I'm still exploring different artistic styles and looks for her. Getting closer to what I want!

Last edited by angelicshadow; 04-08-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

A quick thumbnail sketch of a new scene I've added to The Uncrucified during revision. Not my best work, but I needed practice drawing scenes! Here's an excerpt of the written portion:

At the end of the line of people who had gathered last minute to say farewell to her, she found Djali. She might have loved him in another life where they could be so frivolous.

He had always made her smile with his pranks in the marketplace,
                      Kalara secretly delighting in the antics she was never brave enough to partake in. They comforted each other when they could, sneaking away into the alleys at noontime when none were the wiser. They always knew life could change at any minute with the drop of a coin on someone’s contract.

Kalara gripped Djali’s hand the longest, the both of them ignoring the warning of the guards. They had promised no tears, knowing for years now that they would have to say goodbye at any moment. To their credit, there were none.

“Find me in the next life, Kallie. Let’s be rich then, eh?” He was the only one who ever called her that and she hated it.
                      Kalara would never forget his final words to her and the pained smile that came with them.

Then, the wagon continued on its slow, inexorable path out of the city.
                      Kalara watched their figures standing along the street as long as she could till they were lost in the blur of buildings and pedestrians. She never felt so alone in the world as she did then, even crammed in the barely shaded transport with so many other souls. No more daydreams came on that long and mournful journey ever northwards towards Chiaroscuro.

Comment

Last night's sketch came out better than I hoped! I'm enjoying expanding upon these early antagonists in Kalara's life.

Raised in the heart of the Blessed Isle, Sana expects nothing but the best. Those who don’t deliver often find themselves at the mercy of ‘her sharp tongue’, the name given to the bone fan she carries by the slaves and servants she frequently mistreats.

Her husband, Cynis Varia, has fallen into debt to support her expensive habits and his own gambling addiction. His recent troubles with money-lenders have driven them to flee to Chiaroscuro where Varia hopes new enterprises will bring them the money they need to be safe, as well as keep Sana satisfied.

Comment

After drawing his wife, Sana, I couldn’t resist trying my hand at Varia as well!
                          Unlike Sana, who still kept to the fashions of the Realm, Cynis Varia could almost pass as a native. He’d adopted Southern traveling clothes of loose layers and had already tanned thoroughly from the oppressive sun of Gem.

He kept his beard immaculately trimmed, his shoulder-length auburn hair well-groomed and partially pulled back from his face in a top knot in the Northern style. He was a fine-looking middle-aged man, despite having a bit of a pot belly from his love of wine and fine foods. The age difference between he and Sana hinted that they were most likely an arranged marriage.

Or at least Kalara could never imagine anyone marrying her out of love.

- From the revised draft of The Uncrucified.

Comment

After creating this character on the fly for the last revision session of The Uncrucified, I couldn’t resist drawing him next! I can’t decide if he’s The Serene Viper, himself, or just a higher up debt collector. Either way, this guy leaves an impression!
                            One of the men stepped out in front. He wore a strange robe dyed half black on one side and half dark red on the other, the ensemble split down the middle as if made from two different robes.

The design of a snake dyed into the cloth curled from his shoulder downward across both red and black uniting each hemisphere with its coils. The snake’s body encircled the High Realm symbol for serenity. He almost looked like a salesman, if not for the strange eyes that seemed the reverse of his clothing, one dark eye on the red side and one light blue eye on the black side. White hair spiked wildly behind his head and he smiled to them with perfect white teeth.
                            Kalara noted his Realm accent as he addressed her mistress.

“Good day!
                            Cynis Sana, I presume?” Sana barely had time to respond as he took one of her hands and bowed in a gentlemanly fashion, planting a kiss on her delicate hand. “Such a lovely lady of the Realm so far from home!”

Sana only appeared off guard a few moments before she briskly responded. “Who might you be? You are quite rude, sir!” She tried to withdraw her hand but found it held in his against her will. Sana’s eyes darted to his in fear. “Release me or I’ll call the guards!” Sana snapped.

Kalara looked around. The city guards were nowhere within earshot on this particular street.

Sana’s offended reaction seemed to amuse the ruffian greatly. He chuckled to himself and stared at her with his disturbing mismatched eyes. When he finally released her hand, he’d left a silken handkerchief crumpled in her palm.

“Give your husband my regards and tell him the Serene Viper wishes him well.” At that, he made a clicking noise with his tongue and the three men casually continued on their way.

Kalara watched them as they left, her past experience as a slave of gambling men giving her an inkling of what had just occurred. Debt collectors were not subtle men.

Shaken, Sana fearfully unfurled the familiar bit of cloth, realizing it was her husband’s.

It was stained with blood, several of Varia’s rings enclosed inside!

Comment

I know a few folks here have been asking about commissioning me to draw their Exalted characters and I've always said I don't have the time. I'm trying an experiment where I make small card-sized character drawings for those who pledge at the Mini Collector tier on my Patreon.

Here's your chance to throw your Exalted characters at me! You can read all the details here.

NOTE: For those who aren't familiar with Patreon, it is a monthly subscription, so you'll *keep on* getting card drawings from me until you cancel or change your tier! Questions? Don't hesitate to ask me!

Also, here's the kind of detail I can fit into a 2.5x3.5 inch space just to entice you all.

Last edited by angelicshadow; 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Oh look I CAN draw someone besides my own character! XD I drew this dashing Zenith for a Patreon Patron. His name is Syn and he belongs to Rage-Halo. I've got 4 slots left, if anyone else is interested in picking up a sketch card of their own!

Comment

Working...
                                X