Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want from Warstriders in 3ed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want from Warstriders in 3ed?

As the title suggests I thought that it would be interesting to discuss what we want (and dont want) for Warstriders this edition both from a mechanic and a setting point of view. I notice its comes up every now and then but lacks a dedicated thread.

To get the ball rolling I would really like to feel that not all of the unique features of a given warstrider are locked behind the Evocation gate as I am very fond of diversity in design and appearance (a skeletal warstrider should not be anywhere near as hard to move as a heavily armoured warstrider nor as tough). Settings wise I would like to see some examples of Dynastic warstriders and the general modus operandi regarding how they are assigned and maintained by various faction (is it inherited or assignment based?).

What does everyone else hope/dread regarding Warstriders?

My pipe dream?

I want two rule options for war striders. One where they are considered armor and rare. This would be for games with only one war strider. The other where they are consider a vehicle and you can have full out battles between war striders and behemoths. This would be for the more Pacific Rim type games. The second option may be more suitable for a Shard setting, but that's why it's a pipe dream.

More seriously, I want war striders and thier wearers/pilots to have a strong connection. I rather not get into AI/Jarvis territory, but more like a captain and his ship. The pilot knows the war strider and has discovered evocations.

I write things.

Comment

I'd like warstriders to require specific conditions to even activate, like having a specific principal, blood line, ability or attribute combinations, representing the things that are important to the strider in its pilot.

Comment

I'd like them to be actually usable in regular gameplay. Not just Artifact N/A, on grounds of 'you can have one if your ST feels like it', not this labarynthine subsystem like Craft that's too intimidating for me or my friends to tackle. Not just a table of evocations that will make them awesome someday if I sink enough Solar XP on them. If we get Warstrider rules that I can use in a game and enjoy, I will be happy

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
          More seriously, I want war striders and thier wearers/pilots to have a strong connection. I rather not get into AI/Jarvis territory, but more like a captain and his ship. The pilot knows the war strider and has discovered evocations.
          This exactly. This is the foundation of artifacts in Ex3 and I think Warstriders have a wonderful opportunity to embody these features the strongest.

Personally, I think it might be neat to have each Warstrider has something of a purpose. Not in the same sense as a Martial Art style, but in the sense of like a Defining Intimacy. The thing can do whatever you need it to do, but when it's doing its designed purpose (or following its Defining Intimacy) it gains a bonus or....... actually I just realized this is exactly what Evocations are meant to represent, so I guess it's just back to my first point. If you're using it the way it wants to be used, then you can use its evocations.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Robotech/Macross...there I said it.

Comment

I was thinking that warstriders would not be overwhelming combatants against exalted level opponents. Rather, though I don't know how to model this, they would be something like an MA+Artifact with evocations combo that would grant the users a sort of focused, offensive capability while was very useful for the sorts of things the 'strider was meant to do.

For example, if the 'strider was crafted to fight behemoths an E5 dawn would probably do that just as well or better and climbing in one would not significantly improve the Dawn's ability in that situation. But a Twilight or Eclipse, who don't have the Dawn's combat suite, would gain a massive increase in their ability to contribute. (to say nothing of a mortal). A fight between the Dawn without a 'strider and one of her circlemates with one would be FAR closer than a fight where neither had one and the outcome might actually be in question.

I would also like it if those that bond with them are better than those who just fall into the cockpit, perhaps represented by unlocking evocation, many of which might be permanent charm equivalents.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                I was thinking that warstriders would not be overwhelming combatants against exalted level opponents. Rather, though I don't know how to model this, they would be something like an MA+Artifact with evocations combo that would grant the users a sort of focused, offensive capability while was very useful for the sorts of things the 'strider was meant to do.

For example, if the 'strider was crafted to fight behemoths an E5 dawn would probably do that just as well or better and climbing in one would not significantly improve the Dawn's ability in that situation. But a Twilight or Eclipse, who don't have the Dawn's combat suite, would gain a massive increase in their ability to contribute. (to say nothing of a mortal). A fight between the Dawn without a 'strider and one of her circlemates with one would be FAR closer than a fight where neither had one and the outcome might actually be in question.

I would also like it if those that bond with them are better than those who just fall into the cockpit, perhaps represented by unlocking evocation, many of which might be permanent charm equivalents.
                Well the problem that I see with that is that an artifact is typically meant to be a tool to enhance power rather than just something with a fixed tier of power, in previous editions the main selling points of striders was that you could still effectively use all your charms while wearing them so that Dawn would retain all of their might while gaining the bonus of wearing a giant suit of mega-death.

Personally though, the idea of a legendary warmachine that is useless to the living siege engines of the Celestial host leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I prefer to think that while a non=Dawn would rival a Dawn that a Dawn wearing a warstrider would have a considerable advantage against a Dawn without one.

Comment

Big enough to be pivotal to a character concept but not so big that it twists any game you put one in into a mecha anime. My pipe dream is for compelling upkeep and repair, 2e shoved it off-screen so it felt like a car servicing rather than owning a car after the apocalypse.

I’ve moved to Sword of Creation, thank you to everyone who helped made the Exalted community these past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                    Big enough to be pivotal to a character concept but not so big that it twists any game you put one in into a mecha anime. My pipe dream is for compelling upkeep and repair, 2e shoved it off-screen so it felt like a car servicing rather than owning a car after the apocalypse.
                    I almost hope for a feel like the Imperial Knight lore from 40k where it feels like a great honor to be chosen, my strider can't just be passed around, and while being awe inspiring it doesn't make me utterly invincible, and a dawn of equal skill and potential without it can still win by being clever.

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post

I almost hope for a feel like the Imperial Knight lore from 40k where it feels like a great honor to be chosen, my strider can't just be passed around, and while being awe inspiring it doesn't make me utterly invincible, and a dawn of equal skill and potential without it can still win by being clever.
                      I would also like for the prestige of owning one to be almost as useful as the strider itself, you dont even need it working for the threat of it to be priceless when threatening a foe. Daiklaves and all are not quite as visible a threat (cant expect people to be versed on Evocations) and no one has a proper scale of how dangerous a 'Celestial' exalt can be, but a giant doom-golem made of materials of incalculable wealth? That is a very clear and visceral threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                        I would also like for the prestige of owning one to be almost as useful as the strider itself, you dont even need it working for the threat of it to be priceless when threatening a foe. Daiklaves and all are not quite as visible a threat (cant expect people to be versed on Evocations) and no one has a proper scale of how dangerous a 'Celestial' exalt can be, but a giant doom-golem made of materials of incalculable wealth? That is a very clear and visceral threat.
                        Yeah, exactly! Plus when I go to take my Father's place as the operator there should be ceremony, fanfare, a house celebration, it should feel like an important day. Like so big the head of the house herself shows up to anoit my head before the bond between me and the colossal war god is formed.
                        Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 06-26-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eltacolibre View Post
                          Robotech/Macross...there I said it.
                          Valkyries are a great deal too far on the "real" robot side. Warstriders are supposed to be firmly within the "super" robot type, like Mazinger with magic. I mean, one might change into a flying dragon-like thing in a manner of a giant warbird, but it'd be like with Escaflowne.

Comment

I want Warstriders that change and alter to their riders, not super specialized things. I want a Warstrider that has a very strong pilot in it to be stronger physically than the same warstrider if it's bonded to a very smart person. I want the rider to shape the ride - I want them to embrace the old evocation rules, where the idea was that every single wielder of any weapon will have different evocations, because the evocations are equal parts the weapon's story and the bond the person has with it. I want these to be magical things, that change and alter not based on hard science and upgrades or changing weapons, but based on the mentality of their riders. I don't want a warstrider pilot to go 'ah, I need to switch to long range, so let me go change my arm to a long reach arm', I want a brawl warstrider pilot to go 'we need long range support, hey ARchery Dude, switch out with me and pilot for a bit', and have the warstrider alter to what its rider is.

I want magical super armor giants, not robots.

Comment

I want warstriders to have the kind of power that makes them distinct from a powerful daiklave or something (not just in scope, but in form) and makes them seem valuable and tactically relevant. In other words, I want them to be more than just some boosted physical stats and a selection of minor generic bonuses.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X