Demons of Malfeas: 3e Demon Conversions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demons of Malfeas: 3e Demon Conversions

Since I've made a few of them, I figured I might as well compile them in one place for anyone interested. I've been looking at the Demons in the first edition book Games of Divinity and been converting those First Circle Demons which really strike my interest. The descriptions for all of them are in Games of Divinity, and these descriptions are where I draw the bulk of my inspiration for their charms. I might start doing some Second Circle Demons if any strike my fancy, and I welcome any critique you guys have for them. If you've got a converted Demon you want to share, I'd love to see them!

First Circle DemonsThe newest of these are the Firmin who are spooky, unintelligent creatures which extrude black ichor and needles from their back. They barely understand language at all and like to play with the ichor between their fingers, forming needles which can be used as weapons. They build nests to live in and like to skewer living creatures on them, and given a large enough nest (firmin are communal and like to live together in large groups) they will eventually start skewering humans on them. At that point, humans tend to find them and kill them.

The idea behind the conversion was to give them some Charms for fighting, but nothing too impressive (their spine needles are dangerous, but it's a one shot sort of thing which injures them in the process. It's certainly their most powerful charm, and I welcome ideas on how to tone it down if anybody thinks it's too impressive.

Ichorous Crafts is their signature, kind of like Weave Flesh for Neomah. By giving additional silver experience when multiple firmin work together, I tried to showcase how they work communally. Hope you enjoy them, and as always, PEACH!

Update 7.3.2016

Added Marotte, the Hopping Puppeteer. These guys are little, coin-sized balls of mucus supported by hundres of legs that resemble hairs that extend between 50 and 100 yards each, meaning that when it unfolds, the marotte looks kind of like a swarm of long insects flying up towards a speck. Combined with their weird, jerking way of walking around, we get their unusual nickname.

These guys have a weird idiot savant talent for construction, using their powerful legs to tear up building materials from nearby to reconfigure into structures pleasing to it, which are bound to look weird and Hellish unless you tell them to do otherwise. They're builders par excellence, which is how I imagine most sorcerers might employ them.

Construction is made into a merit, along with the narcotic secretion and an ability to make feats of strength easier. Given the fact that they need to be able to tear stuff up to use it, it seemed appropriate that they have high strength, though they benefit from their merit only when they're lifting and carrying burdens (like parts of buildings or the landscape) around.

They have a creepy element where, if a sorcerer fails to bind them they'll pick him up and kick him around its legs to beat him to death. I tried to replicate the idea of it being able to do that through some charms related to grappling, which is really the extent of the combat capabilities these guys have. They're not bad by any means, but they're not really made for it.

Their fondness for babies (holding them, not caring for them!) didn't make it into the charmset anywhere. All it says is that it likes to hold them but doesn't know how to take care of them, but the short of it is that these guys will reach into your house and snatch your kid to carry as they go about building stuff if you're not careful.

All in all, Hopping Puppeteers are an interesting utility demon. I'm not feeling too hot about this write up, but it's serviceable, at least. Hope you guys enjoy!
    Last edited by Leetsepeak; 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Small update, I added this sentence to the Decanthrope charm Ribbon Noose Initiation:

This process can not be reversed without particularly powerful techniques of exorcism, such as Soul Projection Method (pp. 358).
    Additional update, I am currently working on Chrysogona, the Crying Woman as the next First Circle Demon. I will post it here as soon as I'm done, but I'm soliciting opinions: How do you guys feel about charms that have conditional activation? I am strongly considering making it so that most of the social charms that Chrysogona have that involve influence are only usable on people that they provide advice to. This would be buffs but also inducing their advisee into certain behaviors. Those won't be their only social charms since they'll have ones that make them excellent at observing people while dematerialized in order to give advice on them too, but how do you guys feel about that?

They might use them to make their summoner better at politics but they might also use them on people the summoner sends them to advise. If the worried king receives a visit from a monster late at night offering him advice on how to deal with a traitorous noble, he might be frightened, but what if he heeds the advice it offers so freely? It then can work its charms on him, to encourage him to be better and to do as the chrysogona feels is best. I think it's spooky, but I'd love to hear what you guys think.
    Last edited by Leetsepeak; 06-29-2016, 03:01 PM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

There was one or two spirit charms out there, which are essentially blessings (which all depends on the fluff) from the God/Elemental/Spirit , probably good inspiration to get started.

Comment

I adore you for this, love me some demons

Comment

Ditto, I was really wanting a Decanthrope but was waffling on the powers and lo and behold. Thank you very much sir!

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words so far!

I've had a hell of a day that left me very exhausted despite my interest in finishing the Chrysogona, but I am having a hard time of it right now, despite looking over a number of blessing-like charms and thinking "Hmm, this might be right..."

I was looking over Spirit Charms from 1e to try to figure out what mechanical powers Chrysogonae had back then and I gotta say I find a lot of them sorta boring. I did try to figure something out for their bite's transformation Charm, so I guess this is like a lame little teaser?

Originally posted by Chrysogona, the Crying Woman

Petrifying Teeth of Tragedy (10m, 1wp; Supplemental; Instant; Decisive-only; Essence 2): The chrysogona is capable of poisoning someone with its bite, petrifying their skin and turning them into a wooden statue, which may then become another chrysogonae. When the chrysogona makes a decisive attack that hits, it may supplement the attack with Petrifying Teeth of Tragedy. The attack rolls only one die of raw damage regardless of initiative, but applies a poison with damage 3i/round, duration 6 rounds, and a -3 penalty. This damage becomes lethal when Crashed. The character suffers an additional -1 penalty to the resistance roll for every 2 initiative the chrysogona has when it makes the decisive attack. If the character is Incapacitated by this poison, they are petrified into a wooden statue, and three turns later, emerge from their own body as a newly made chrysogona. Once per fight unless reset by creating a new chyrsogona.

One thing I'm curious about, does anyone have a Demon they're really dying to see in 3rd Edition?

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
              Thank you all for the kind words so far!

I've had a hell of a day that left me very exhausted despite my interest in finishing the Chrysogona, but I am having a hard time of it right now, despite looking over a number of blessing-like charms and thinking "Hmm, this might be right..."

I was looking over Spirit Charms from 1e to try to figure out what mechanical powers Chrysogonae had back then and I gotta say I find a lot of them sorta boring. I did try to figure something out for their bite's transformation Charm, so I guess this is like a lame little teaser?

One thing I'm curious about, does anyone have a Demon they're really dying to see in 3rd Edition?
              Well this is one of them actually. For some reason I always liked those things...

Comment

Update 7.1.2016

Added the Chrysogona after a night of early sleep and a sudden burst of inspiration. I realized I was putting too much emphasis on the idea of them just making other people better at social stuff, when I realized that the real way to succeed in social things is by spying on people and that good politics involves being good at that sort of subterfuge. In that vein, chrysogona actually have quite a few powers they can use while dematerialized. One lets them Read Intentions fairly easily, allowing an invisible chrysogona to observe a rival of their current patron and learn his desires Another lets them enhance someone who is benefiting from their advice, granting a success on specific checks and an aura of authority equivalent to a Minor Intimacy.

Their combat charm felt like a decent place to put that and a way to make them scary. They don't tend to do well in combat because of those arthritic fingers, man! Hence the merit Brittle Bones. A canny one might ambush somebody if it got a good join battle roll, then make another chrysogona. Scary thought: The chrysogona produced by Petrifying Teeth of Tragedy are probably not bound to you, even if you summoned the original one!

They've got two Psyche keyword powers, which sort of reference the iconic description of the Chrysogona as the Crying Woman. I thought to myself that the other part of good politics besides knowing your enemy is to sabotage them, and the idea to mess with their dreams came easy just by imagining a chrysogona creeping over you while you sleep. Unlike some of their other charms, they need to be materialized when activating this one, and it can create a terrifying image of vulnerability and offer a point of intervention for PCs. Imagine going to your parent's room at night and seeing one of these things standing over them. Yikes!

The thing I'm most pleased about with Cursed Nightmare Tears is the aesthetic of the curse. Conveying it through the physical vector of the chrysogona's tears feels perfectly in tune with how they're presented in the write up in Games of Divinity, which was my inspiration for this conversion.

Speaking of, I do want to put a warning out there that Cursed Nightmare Tears has that clause at the end about how it affects newborns. The original write up mentions the chrysogonae have a penchant for crying, and offhandedly mentions that their tears can drown a newborn baby, which seemed like exactly the kind of dark, evocative and folkloric sort of thing that makes Exalted demons interesting. If you're uncomfortable with it, I understand and I don't think anything breaks if you remove it.

For this one, I'd really like some critique on the costs for everything and the balance of Waking Tragic Downfall in particular, as I put that one together from scratch and I'm not sure if it's too good or too cheap for npc usage. We've got at least one charm in Socialize that rerolls 1s to prevent them from being used by bad magic. I figured we need some bad magic that can do that!
                Last edited by Leetsepeak; 07-01-2016, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working on more conversions! Currently looking at three weird ones: The Hopping Puppeteer as a skilled laborer capable of large scale construction and also being really weird (yet another demon to keep your infant children away from, apparently). Also doing the Sesselja or Stomach Bottle Bug, who live in/swim in the flesh of creatures and can do stuff to it. Then I'm gonna do the Perronele, the Living Armor Demon.

I will update this thread when each of these is complete!

Comment

Update 7.3.2016

Added Marotte, the Hopping Puppeteer. These guys are little, coin-sized balls of mucus supported by hundres of legs that resemble hairs that extend between 50 and 100 yards each, meaning that when it unfolds, the marotte looks kind of like a swarm of long insects flying up towards a speck. Combined with their weird, jerking way of walking around, we get their unusual nickname.

These guys have a weird idiot savant talent for construction, using their powerful legs to tear up building materials from nearby to reconfigure into structures pleasing to it, which are bound to look weird and Hellish unless you tell them to do otherwise. They're builders par excellence, which is how I imagine most sorcerers might employ them.

Construction is made into a merit, along with the narcotic secretion and an ability to make feats of strength easier. Given the fact that they need to be able to tear stuff up to use it, it seemed appropriate that they have high strength, though they benefit from their merit only when they're lifting and carrying burdens (like parts of buildings or the landscape) around.

They have a creepy element where, if a sorcerer fails to bind them they'll pick him up and kick him around its legs to beat him to death. I tried to replicate the idea of it being able to do that through some charms related to grappling, which is really the extent of the combat capabilities these guys have. They're not bad by any means, but they're not really made for it.

Their fondness for babies (holding them, not caring for them!) didn't make it into the charmset anywhere. All it says is that it likes to hold them but doesn't know how to take care of them, but the short of it is that these guys will reach into your house and snatch your kid to carry as they go about building stuff if you're not careful.

All in all, Hopping Puppeteers are an interesting utility demon. I'm not feeling too hot about this write up, but it's serviceable, at least. Hope you guys enjoy!

Comment

Your speed of conversion is going to force me to make a sub-directory in Drive just to keep track of them all! Thanks once more.

Comment

Working...
                      X