Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Are the rules in 3E clear enough to your satisfaction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Are the rules in 3E clear enough to your satisfaction?

I've seen this come up a lot, where posters expression confusion over multiple readings of the ruleset and are dissatisfied with 3rd edition's decision to rely on interpretation and moment-to-moment ruling*. These posters feel that clarity of language and full mechanical rigor would significantly benefit the game, preventing misinterpretation and slowed play due to debate over what precisely an ability is supposed to do or how one system interacts with another.

*A decision the developers made because of the acceptance that all rulesets are, in some way, limited and imperfect, thus requiring interpretation anyway.

So, I was curious. How many posters feel this way? Are you personally satisfied with

A) The Clarity of Language: Does the game explain itself well enough for you, or do find yourself confused over what the text is trying to say more times than you can accept?

B) Mechanical Rigor: Are the rules tight enough that the game runs satisfactorily, or do you find yourself debating over what is supposed to happen or trying to resolve weird edge cases too many times?

Please like the post that you agree with below. Positive answer (you are satisfied) is printed in blue, while Negative answer (you are not satisfied) is printed in red.

Edit: It should be said that dissatisfaction with certain elements of the game does not equate to disliking the game entire, nor should it be read that way. Simply be honest, please.
    Last edited by Prometheus878; 07-04-2016, 07:49 PM.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Like this post if you are satisfied with A) The Clarity of Language presented in the rules.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Like this post if you are not satisfied with A) The Clarity of Language presented in the rules.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Like this post if you are satisfied with B) The Mechanical Rigor presented by the rules.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Like this post if you are not satisfied with B) The Mechanical Rigor presented by the rules.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Please like this post if you consider yourself Neutral and don't have any strong opinions on the matter (yet).

*For the record, I haven't played in a game or read the whole thing start to finish, so I believe I fall under this category.
            Last edited by Prometheus878; 06-28-2016, 11:00 PM.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

I'd just like to say that, while I am dissatisfied with the clarity of rules (and liked the appropriate posts), because it seems to come up a lot (I don't mean in white-room discussions on forums, I mean while running the game), it's pretty much the only thing I dislike about the game. I still think the game's a really good game. I just find this one thing annoying in practice. So don't take it as a condemnation of the game, just that I wish the rules were clearer.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

I'm with Wizard. There's a few things I don't care for too much about the game and a couple places I think the ball was dropped. The obtuseness of the rules is definitely one such place. Overall though I am rather satisfied with 3rd edition Exalted.
                Last edited by AnubisXy; 06-28-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

No, I am not satisfied. 3E is at best a rough draft that accidentally got published, and at worst a huge indication of a colossal lack of oversight and quality control.

Comment

Just posting to say; I clicked yes to both A and B because I am satisfied with the rules as they are.

I don't think the text is super clear a lot of the time and there are a few edge cases where I feel I have to make stuff up to make it work (sledgehammer fist punch for example) BUT, I'm happy that the rest of the text gives me plenty of room and purpose to make those judgments, thus my satisfaction.

If it were clearer it might be better, but I don't think it needs it.

(10chars)

Comment

I put myself down as neutral, because there's a lot that I like and that works for me but also a lot of little issues I run into. While my group is comfortable just rolling with whatever ruling best serves the story, there are a few mechanical stumbling points we run into.

I think the biggest issue for low maintenance people like us is that we're sort of bothered by the stuff that feels like it exists only in the context of Charms. Like I'm not meaningfully sure what all those Wyld immunizing Charms do for me, because I can't even tell what shaping effects or wyld stuff is at all. Like, maybe they could've made a Wyld keyword? So I could just use that to determine it.

It's really stuff like that, because it makes me sort of leery of using that material, especially as someone who isn't as familiar as others with the prior 2 editions. I wish the QCs for Wyld stuff were a little more helpful in that regard, as I'd accept even a backdoor explanation of stuff like that.

It's those things that can be a problem for me, and keep me from being super happy with it.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Is there an option for "Some systems are more clear than others"? Because let's be honest, debating Counterattacks and When Does Onslaught Add In is less clear than the Sorcerous Working system.

The basics of combat - Fine, save for the two points I mentioned earlier.

Social Influence - No questions here.

Craft - I think someone in another thread put it nicely. For the debatable problems people have with the Crafting system, they don't have a problem understanding the system. Like, how it works is clear, some people just don't care for it.

The mechanics I've tried work out to my satisfaction without much trouble, the system is still probably one of my favorites period, but sometimes I get the feeling that a lot of confusion that I've seen here could have been prevented.

Example - I remember seeing a thread where there was a debate as to whether Cascade of Cutting Terror could be dodged by Seven Shadow Evasion. People noted that CoCT said "Cannot be dodged", and SSE was noted as being able to dodge anything without contest, and others noted that Undodgeable is defined as setting someone's Evasion to 0 against an attack, and some people wanted to know if "cannot be dodged" meant the same thing as "undodgeable"-

One of the devs or writers (I want to say it was Vance but I'm not sure) stepped in to officially state that yes, SSE can dodge CoCT.
                        Last edited by Kyman201; 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                          Is there an option for "Some systems are more clear than others"?
                          Hm.

Like this post if your feelings on the matter are complicated.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

The forum hasn't let me Like posts for weeks now; throws errors. I kind of figured it was doing that to other people too.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
                              The forum hasn't let me Like posts for weeks now; throws errors. I kind of figured it was doing that to other people too.

It's been doing that to me as well. I find that if I log out, log back in, log back out a second time and then relog in a second time, it'll let me like posts for about 30 seconds before it starts spitting errors at me again.

Comment

Working...
                              X