Can an immaterial spirit use sorcery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an immaterial spirit use sorcery?

Pretty straightforward: Can a spirit that is initiated into sorcery shape sorcery while immaterial? I didn't see anything about it in the corebook; did I miss something or is it just so peculiar a case that it wasn't covered in this first release?

What are your opinions?
    a) Yes, it can
    b) Yes, depending on its sorcerous initiation rituals and how it can gather sorcerous motes
    c) Yes, if the spell wouldn't directly affect the material world.
    d) No, because ____________

With everything in exalted...it depends. Not necessarily of sorcerous initiation rituals but it depends in general. If you count every spirits out there...there are too many possibilities. Demons, Gods, Ghosts, Deathlords, Elementals, and I guess technically incarnae are super spirits too.

Comment

Yes, but i would limit the sorts of effects or what they can do.
      Having a spirit casting DoOB for example, i might say because the spell is case in an immaterial state the attack is also immaterial and doesnt do much if anything to the material, non attack effects i might allow to work normally.

Unless the attack normal allows for effecting immaterial things, then i would likely allow it to have an effect on the material.

Comment

I would go with an immaterial spirit cannot affect the material world in any way, including sorcery, unless it can. I know that sounds like a copout, but Exalted is based on individual abilities, and being able to cross the material/inmaterial divide is a big power. An artifact, a special charm, or other ability along these lines would work to allow it.

Comment

Immaterial spirits are already one of the best sources of intelligence in the game as they can spy on nearly anyone with no chance of detection. If they can also shoot a DoOB or FotBR at someone on the material realm while immaterial, then they're basically the most dangerous things in the game. As such, anything that might be inferred to allow affecting the material from the immaterial needs to be made very explicit and should default to NO.

That said, I don't see any issues with having two gods wage a magical war while immaterial without anyone else noticing, so I see no reason they can't shape sorcery while immaterial to affect other immaterial things.

Comment

They can cast spells, but they're still subject to all the normal rules re: dematerialized dudes can't attack material dudes unless they have specific shenanigans.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance
              dematerialized dudes can't attack material dudes unless they have specific shenanigans
              Incidentally, do you picture Exalted fighting immaterial spirits through those shenanigans as looking like something other than wildly flailing at nothing?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Incidentally, do you picture Exalted fighting immaterial spirits through those shenanigans as looking like something other than wildly flailing at nothing?
                Does he have the capacity to hit it (for instance, spirit-cutting-type Charms)?

I would generally add cool visuals, even if the spirit is and remains immaterial - perhaps the Exalt's anima briefly casts the god's shadow on the floor/wall as he connects with his Spirit-Cutting Attack? Or perhaps produces a "blood spray" when he hits.

Also recall that not all spirits are identically immaterial - some leave traces even then, such as the Noresore's bleaching effect or the telltale signs of the presence of an Erythmanus.
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-09-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  I like stunting to make it look cool. Alucard's suggestions seem pretty good to me.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                  X