Infernals: What Hell Has Claimed [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infernals: What Hell Has Claimed [PEACH]

So I sat down and wrote some charms based on the earlier discussion about Infernal characters. So far, I've got some resistance done and not a lot else, but figured I'd get input sooner rather than later. I'll keep the google doc below up to date as I finish out charms, merits, hearthstones, etc. As a general rule, in the rules of the doc I try to avoid referring to the Yozi's overtly.

Overall Concepts: The Infernals are defined by a belief the universe is unfair. Not only unfair, but specifically against them. Whether an oppressed peasant in Varang or an overthrown king in the Hundred Kingdoms, the souls that make up the infernals draw the attention of their patrons by mutual outcry. Theirs is not despair, no, it is rage against the world that would deny them. The world must be remade, recast with a new dawn.

The Yozi care little for the actual goal of these prophets and revolutionaries. Hate and spite for what is above leads to this power. The Yozis know this well, and know that such vision, such purpose combined with the might of an exalted and their primeval power will wreck havoc. Perhaps by proxy, the can enjoy the overthrow of those above. In each vengance, each nation built on strength of will, they might gain something resembling amusement.

Concepts for charm trees so far (Big Ideas, not actualy mechanics, those go in the doc)

Medicine: Include some mutation things here, maybe creating races all frog demons or dune people? Healed by Infernals might lead to being a CoD.

Melee: Poison, increased onslaught penalities, play up recklessness or "powered by hate" (needs work). No Protect others buff.

Occult: Done for Now.

Reistance: Powered by pain rather than immune to it. Qaf and Malfeas are here.

Lore: Painful truths of existence.Lessons that learning them makes one less human/more than human.

Prescence: Bonuses to commanding CoD. Overt displays of power supplement attempts. Instilling intimacies, bonuses to instill negative intimacies(?).

Linguistics: Something with the Forbidden nature of SHWLiHN and Ceclyene( the color blue and the forbidden name). Probably trap books or pamphelts. Would mystic tatoos go here?

Brawl: Power. Lots of Willpower extra effects. Raw, unbridled power. Little posion, lots of crippling. Have to re-read solars.

Thrown: Again, focus on damage. Less distract, more crippling and armor piercing. Probably includes some SHWLiHN charms here for that catclysm incident. Maybe throwing people?

Dodge: Standard dodge bonuses, plus a few counter attacks/damage for missing (bleeding wind and all). Probably some Ebon charms here as well.

War: Supernatural training. Fear effects? Buffs from losses? Something with fanatisiscm and might granting charms. Turn your rebellious army or your royal guard into the angels of a new dawn!

Shintai ideas(Also lacking any grounding in mechanics)

The Sublime Lie: Lore focused Shintai of some sort, based on the notion of Qaf's hard lessons. Either memetic information or something to do with damaging people with truths.

Mountain Trampling Asura: Infernal gains large amounts of Strength and Athletics. Lower defence maybe? Bronze behemoth is "unstoppable" because of endurance, Mountain Trampling Asura is more about destroying anything that could stand before you. Remove the requirement on Feat of Strength?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NR1OisRTo/edit
    Last edited by Epee102; 07-18-2016, 09:24 PM. Reason: Added updated link.

I made some MAs! PEACH: Red Locust Style, Emerald Wasp Style, Thunder on the Precipice Style, Graceful Humming Bird Style

So, feedback-

I like the basic idea of tying specific Yozis to the expressions of specific abilities, but I think you could get more millage by allowing more overlap between them. I mean, Malfaes should *definitely* have some expression of Performance (as the Brass Dancer) and Craft (as the Green Sun), but shouldn't neccesarily resemble Ceclyne's Performance or She Who Lives In Her Name's Craft.

What I remember getting a lot of people interested / excited during the preview was the customizable shintai forms- Infernals having a Boss-God-Monster form to assume got a lot of folks stoked.

Maybe have a general 'Hell themed' set for each ability, and then between one to three 'Yozi-themed' branches, with basic competence behind the general theme, and then Shintai madness / higher weirdness in the Yozi branches.

As an example of how that might look different...

Vitrol Blood
    Cost: 3m, Mins: Resistance 3, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Counterattack, Decisive-only, Perilious
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: ???

The infernal transforms her blood into vitrolic acid, which sprays out in a green-black rush upon being struck by a decisive attack. She may use Vitrol Blood in response to suffering damage from a decisive attack, making a reflexive decisive counterattack. For damage, she rolls a number of dice equal to the number of health levels she has lost in the present scene rather than her initiative, and she her initiative is not reset if she deals damage.
    At Essence 2, she may use Vitrol Blood at the moment of her death, exploding in a burst of vitrol that strikes everyone in close range.

vs

Brazen Flesh
    Cost: - (1m), Mins: Resistance 3, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Malfaes, Shintai
    Duration: Indefinite
    Prerequisite Charms: ???

The infernal calls upon the visage of the Malfaes, transforming her bones to molten stone and her flesh to imperishable brass. When she adopts her Shintai, if she is naked, she may invoke Brazen Flesh; her natural soak increases by +5 and her Hardness rises to 4 (if it was not already higher).
    So long as Brazen Flesh is active, the cost of all instant duration Resistance charms is reduced by 1m.

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led

Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

I'm definitely planning on giving Malfeas some Performance charms (although I hadn't thought of Craft, that's a good point) as well as (say) the Ebon Dragon some Stealth and so on, and was going to use the Favored Yozi-Keyword thing to help with that. Hell, Resistance will have three Yozi's at current planning(Qaf is getting in on the natural armor scene as befits a mountain.)

I like the idea of a general tree with a few yozi branches, though that might be helped by simply removing the Yozi keywords from the current ones.

Definitely agree on Shintai's, however. My plan was to work out a bit of charms and add Shintai's as unlocked either by a set of charms (If you have x, y, z then you get form A.). It might be better to get the Shintai's planned at the start since going Apostle form is a big draw...

I made some MAs! PEACH: Red Locust Style, Emerald Wasp Style, Thunder on the Precipice Style, Graceful Humming Bird Style

Comment

Re: Shintai form, I would take a look at both the 2e / CoD Demon and Beast books by OPP. Both have systems and thoughts of how you would make your true horror-form from the get-go. That might be a better way to conceptualize it than a charm chain.

Comment

I was going to look at oWoD Demon (I don't have Beast or CoD Demon yet ), as well as Leviathan.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
            I was going to look at oWoD Demon (I don't have Beast or CoD Demon yet ), as well as Leviathan.
            CoD Demon is probably one of the best CoD splats IMO. I really recommend checking it out because it's not nearly as 3edgy5me and it's really compelling. Also some of the powers that you can get as a demon are wild.

Comment

You *definitely* want to pick up Beast for this project. It is in many ways Leviathan++.

OTOH, CoD Demon is... just not really infernal-like demons. Which isn't bad; they're awesome for what they are, and inspiration can come from anywhere! But- apart from maybe the idea of 'going loud' (bursting out into your true demonic/angelic glory/horror) I dunno that a lot of conceptual overlap exists.

Roughly, I would say this- figure out how Shintais should work *first*. Those are one of your big selling points and core differentiators from 'Like Solars, but green'. Make those accessible from the start, and make sure you're happy with how they will play. Make sure they are also not just 'Like Lunar Warforms, but green' (this will, admittedly, be harder since we have only guess work for Lunar Warforms). Make them thematic without pushing them to be a One True Build (tm).

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led

Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
                You *definitely* want to pick up Beast for this project. It is in many ways Leviathan++.

OTOH, CoD Demon is... just not really infernal-like demons. Which isn't bad; they're awesome for what they are, and inspiration can come from anywhere! But- apart from maybe the idea of 'going loud' (bursting out into your true demonic/angelic glory/horror) I dunno that a lot of conceptual overlap exists.

Roughly, I would say this- figure out how Shintais should work *first*. Those are one of your big selling points and core differentiators from 'Like Solars, but green'. Make those accessible from the start, and make sure you're happy with how they will play. Make sure they are also not just 'Like Lunar Warforms, but green' (this will, admittedly, be harder since we have only guess work for Lunar Warforms). Make them thematic without pushing them to be a One True Build (tm).
                I agree that in terms of themes, CoD aren't really like infernals at all (Though Beast is, and shares some Liminal Dark Mother stuff). I was thinking more from a mechanical standpoint, where the players build their Demonic / Loud form at character creation (and mechanically, how they do so), rather than just having it be something earned through a set of charms, which feels much more restrictive.

Comment

Yeah I would bet that the Shintai form is going to be the special thing of the Infernals but well, we are so many years away from that(since the infernals seem to be far down the list of the supplements, probably 4 to 5 years from now). I mean having a second healthbar like a boss/villain is pretty neat with more powers and abilities.

From my interpration of the preview thought it would go more like this:

Cecelyne Charm 1
                  Shintai Points: 1
                  Unlocks: Sand Body

Malfeas Charm 2
                  Shintai points: 2
                  Unlocks: Green Sun Aura

Now with these points, you will be able to spend them on Shintai powers of your choice and maybe some powers even become stronger the more you invest in them, like putting three shintai points in Sand Body would not only make you immaterial but able to attack people like normal.

Comment

Re: Shintai's

The format I'm looking at (I lack the funds to buy beast atm, but I'll do so ASAP, or borrow it from some friends) would resemble something like this:

At chargen, you have access to one Shintai Form. This is the foundation of a Shintai, and comes with a general descriptor and some mechanical bonuses, and is tied to an abillity. Resistance might have a Body of Bronze (which would require some work because of that spell, but what ever), Brawl a form that grows larger and turns the color of night, Thrown a brisling of quills, Occult might have a mulitude of eyes, etc.

Over time, charms give Shintai points (as Eltacolibre suggested) and unlock shintai specific charms. These are added onto the form, so that one Bronze Juggernaut has large tumors reflecting Hand-Mind Manipulation, another has a head that spews green fire to reflect...idk off the top of my head, etc.There likely will be charms that also reflect additional physical traits(Legendary size for example).

Taking the preview, the base form is the dragon, the sonic scream is an adjoran charm added on.

EDIT: Having gotten a hold of friend's copy, Beast seems a good place to draw from. Adding some charms that have greater effects during Shintai (And are bought with Shintai points) but alter the characters apperance with others/have a lesser form than when out of Shintai makes sense and might be fun to play with. I'd stikc with the preview preventing the reverse and have certain Infernal charms are useless in boss-mode. Probalby one's with the perilous keyword.
                    Last edited by Epee102; 07-11-2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Added two Shintai forms, and general rules for making a shintai. I'm worried about the second form (was trying to replicate Mad Jack a bit), so any balance ideas regarding Shintai would be doubly appreciated.

Comment

So, I'm toying with making Creatures of Darkness a big part of the Infernal charmset. Controling them, creating them, etc. Should I make a new type to reflect "altered by exposure to hell's powers" or stick with this? How hard is it to sell Creature of Darkness as a "not evil, just dark" label?

I don't recall any disavantages to being a CoD except certain Solar Charms do more damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                          So, I'm toying with making Creatures of Darkness a big part of the Infernal charmset. Controling them, creating them, etc. Should I make a new type to reflect "altered by exposure to hell's powers" or stick with this? How hard is it to sell Creature of Darkness as a "not evil, just dark" label?

I don't recall any disavantages to being a CoD except certain Solar Charms do more damage.
                          More than Solars. Sidereals, Lunars and Dragon-Bloods all had the ability to do varying degrees of harm* to CoDs in previous editions, and I expect they will again.

*Sidereals and Dragon-Bloods were very good at it, Lunars not so much.

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War, First Draft pdf<NEW

Comment

I found the list I wrote up long ago about the different Abilities that could be have Charms from each named Yozi:
                            http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...843#post482843

Note that when I associate Dodge with Isidoros, Isidoros' Dodge Charms should make other people dodge you.

Edit: Don't know why I gave War to Isidoros. Deleted.

So far there have been 2 projects on the Onyx Path forum to convert Infernals in some way, but both seem to be on hiatus or something. I am really hoping somebody will write and finish useable, balanced 3E crunch for playing Infernals as they were in 2E, minus the Reclamation and rape. I do quite like your idea of Infernals being recruited from people who feel wronged by the world and the powers-that-be, and fight for some kind of revolution -- that is similar to my mental image of people who feel they have been rejected by Creation and its ruling powers, and fight for their own liberation.
                            Last edited by Erinys; 08-04-2016, 02:34 PM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                            Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

Thanks!
                              Looking down the list and removing Yozi I'm not using (Hegra, Oramous, and Metagogos who I wanted to include but,as another thread recounts, ran into math problems) theres only a few points different:

War and Isodorious seems odd. Isodoros as army destroyer seems right compared to army leader...Maybe Cecylene? War seems very much a general role.

Integrity makes sense with so many, but I'll probably focus it around 3ish. (Qaf, Isodrious, SWHLiHN?) since I don't want TOO many Yozi per tree.

Investigation is tricky bc....well, Cecylene has so many applicable abillities.

I might give thrown to SHWLiHN because of that three spheres things, but Ebon with the whole ninja and cheating sign makes sense. Never thought of that.

Otherwise I like it for ideas, and I'll keep it in mind. I'm trying to get everything done work as I think of charms, shintai, and Astra. And presumably anima abilities and merits eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X