Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(MA Design Attempt) Ascending Hare Style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • (MA Design Attempt) Ascending Hare Style



    Ascending Hare Style










    Notes: Had this idea for a MA, and though I'd post it on the forums for feedback and refinement.
    Description: Created somewhere in the ancient east, this style is a favorite of couriers and vagrants moving about the forests without care. Students of this style are capable of rapid and violent movement, faster than the eye can track. They train their legs for years in order to move at the speeds they do, flitting about the battlefield with grace and joy in everything. The martial artist leaves imprints of their feet wherever they kick off the ground.
    Hare Weapons: Ascending Hare style uses unarmed attacks, specifically kicks. Any unarmed attack enhanced by Ascending Hare style can be stunted to do lethal damage. Boot weapons may also be used.
    Armor: Ascending Hare style is compatible with light armor.
    First Step
    Cost: 3m
    Mins: MA 2, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Mastery
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-req: None
    With the force of a bolt of lightning, the hare strikes the ground with a hard kick as they evade their foes, propelling them to saftey. When making a disengage action, the user may reroll essence 1's and 2's on a disengage action.
    Mastery: The martial artist steals one point of initiative from each opponent she disengaged from.

    Ascent of Arcing Aggression
    Cost: 4m
    Mins: MA 3, Essence 1
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Withering-only, Terrestrial
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-req: None
    Striking the ground behind them, the martial artist takes a mighty leap towards their foe. At the last moment, she whips her leg forward, striking her foe. The user may jump a range band to attack a foe. This counts as their movement for the turn. The foe's defense is reduced by 1, or 2 if the foe is crashed. The martial artist may spend 2i if the attack is successful to make a free disengage action.
    Terrestrial: The martial artist must spend 4i if the attack is successful to make a free disengage action.

    Ascending Hare Form
    Cost: 7m
    Mins: MA 4, Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Form
    Duration: One Scene
    Pre-req: First Step, Arc of Ascending Aggression
    The martial artist leans back, leading with her stronger leg, and digging in backwards with her rear heel. With a moment's notice, the martial artist can use the force of their back leg to leap forward. Any turn which the martial artist makes a movement action increase their evasion by two. This effect does not stack and resets on your turn. Also, you gain one auto success on your combat movement rolls. Two successes at Essence 3+. Also, falling from short range does not harm the martial artist, though effects that deal falling damage directly still effect the user.
    Special Activation Rules: Whenever the user makes a successful disengage action with 5+ successes, they may reflexively activate Ascending Hare Form.

    Second Step
    Cost: 4m 3i
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 2
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Terrestrial, Decisive Only, Perilous
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-req: Ascending Hare Form
    The speed of the hare is is without parallel, darting to and fro throughout the battlefield. Upon crashing a target with a martial arts attack, the martial artist may use this charm to attempt a disengage action. If successful, the martial artist may move a range band and immediately attack another (not the original one) target within range with a decisive attack. The martial artist may reduce a target's defense by 1 if combined with First Step.
    Terrestrial: This charm may not be combined with First Step.

    Rising Rabbit's Roundhouse
    Cost: 6m, 1 wp
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 2
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Counterattack, Withering-only
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-req: Ascending Hare Form
    With a whip of their leg, the hare punishes her foes for even the slightest of mistakes. Upon successfully dodging a melee attack, the martial artist may counter with a withing attack. You may add your wits to the raw damage of the attack, double essence 9's in the damage roll.

    Split Second Shatter Strike
    Cost: 3m
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 2
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Decisive-only, Terrestrial, Mastery
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-req: Rising Rabbit's Roundhouse
    Stamping down on their target's legs or lower extremities with the sole of their foot, crushing their target's joints under foot. This is a difficulty 4 gambit, and upon a successful hit, the target loses their next free movement action. For a duration of 7 rounds, the target must spend 3 initiative to make any movement action in addition to any other initiative the victim must spend. When the target is afflicted by this, they may resist with a Stamina + Resistance roll. Each success reduces the duration by 1 round.
    Terrestrial: The martial artist may only use this charm once per scene, unless reset upon crashing an opponent.
    Mastery: Upon successfully executing the gambit, the martial artist steals one point of initiative from the target for each 10 rolled while executing the gambit.

    Erratic Energetic Evasion
    Cost: 5m 1 wp
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 2
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Uniform
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-req: Ascending Hare Form
    The hare knows when to escape, surrounded on all sides by foes. With a swift kick to the ground beneath her, she launches herself into the sky, away from her pursuers. If engaged, and targeted by a successful decisive attack, you may make a disengage action using the attacker's attack roll as a their roll to resist your disengage. If successful, the attack fails, and the martial launches themselves two range bands into the air.

    Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke
    Cost: 6m
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 3
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Withering Only, Mastery
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-Req: Second Step
    Her enemies may think her prey, but the hare can act as the predator as well. This charm supplements a rush action. If the rush is successful, the hare may immediately close and make a withering attack, ignoring her wits in soak.
    Mastery: The wits soak the martial artist ignores instead adds to the post soak damage.

    Striving Spirit's Succession
    Cost: - (2m 1wp)
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 3
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Terrestrial
    Duration: Permanent
    Pre-Req: Ascending Hare Form
    At this level of mastery, the hare's tempo doubles in speed, and the air shatters in ruptures of sound as she moves. Upon activating Ascending Hare Form, the martial artist may spend 2m 1 WP to enhance her speed. If the martial artist makes any sort of movement action or free movement, the next foe they attack reduces their defense by 1 and they may add their wits to their soak until their next turn.
    Terrestrial: The martial artist must succeed at a rush or disengage action to get the defense reduction and wits to soak, not just move.

    Crushing Cottontail Cry
    Cost: 7m 1wp
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 3
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Decisive Only
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-Req: Erratic Energetic Evasion
    The hare is not all speed. The sheer force of their descent can cause the very earth to shake and tremble. This is a decisive gambit of difficulty three targeting a foe within short range, or a foe directly beneath you if you are above them. Falling any distance less than extreme range causes no damage to the user. Upon successfully execution, the target is knocked prone, and you may then may make a withering attack against another target within short range. Add any excess success from the gambit roll to the to hit of the withering attack. The martial artist ends engaged with the final foe.

    Final Step
    Cost: 5m 1wp
    Mins: MA 5, Essence 3
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Dual, Mastery, Terrestrial
    Duration: Instant
    Pre-Req: Crushing Cottontail Cry, Striving Spirit's Succession, Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke
    Within the moment between breaths, the hare launches themselves towards her foe with a speed that cannot be tracked by the naked eye. The martial artist may only make this attack if currently not engaged with a target and can target anyone within medium range. The martial artist closes with her target, and may make either a withering or decisive attack. If a withering attack, the attack is unblockable and undodgeable. If a decisive attack, if the attack gets at least 3 successes, the target is launched two range bands and takes damage equivalent to falling short range, 6 successes medium range, and if the martial artist gets 9 successes, the target is sent to long range. If the target is incapacitated by the attack, the foe may be launched into the horizon at the ST's discretion.
    Special Activation Rules: This charm can only be used once per scene. It can be reset by dodging a decisive attack within using Erratic Energetic Evasion.
    Terrestrial: The dragon blood's withering attack is only undodgeable. The decisive attack cannot launch their foe into the horizon.
    Mastery: The martial artist may regain a willpower when incapacitating a foe.
    Last edited by MonkofLords; 10-01-2016, 12:50 AM.

  • #2
    Eulalia! Give 'em blood and vinegar!

    It seems pretty balanced to me, Cottontail Cry could do with a terrestrial reset condition though and that final charm needs to be threshold successes instead of base successes., unless it's the damage roll in which case maybe okay.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
      Eulalia! Give 'em blood and vinegar!

      It seems pretty balanced to me, Cottontail Cry could do with a terrestrial reset condition though and that final charm needs to be threshold successes instead of base successes., unless it's the damage roll in which case maybe okay.
      I couldn't think of a reset condition really for Cottontail Cry, and yes the last one is damage, not on the attack.

      Comment


      • #4
        As a guy with a character concept of "Kicks, a LOT" I greatly appreciate this. When the DB book comes out, I have a friend whose character for a game I'm running will mostly use kicks, possibly stunted through the DB Brawl Tree. But if you like, we can take a stab at this.

        Also, I think we have some footage of someone using Final Step, let's go to Camera 3...



        Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          As a guy with a character concept of "Kicks, a LOT" I greatly appreciate this. When the DB book comes out, I have a friend whose character for a game I'm running will mostly use kicks, possibly stunted through the DB Brawl Tree. But if you like, we can take a stab at this.

          Also, I think we have some footage of someone using Final Step, let's go to Camera 3...

          Yeah, go for it, I'd appreciate any testing or feedback you can give me...and yes that video is an option for Final Step if you do so choose.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm going to go charm by charm and give my opinion. Note that i'm not saying this style is bad, I actually really like it! I'm just going to be nitpicky so you can get some constructive (I hope) criticism on this and other styles going forward.

            First Step
            This looks good, It's not an attack, so it doesn't need the uniform keyword. Rerolling 2s is a pretty big deal. I'd probably cap it at essence or remove the 2s.

            Ascent of Arcing Aggression
            This is good, and obviously pairs well with First Step. I imagine the Combo is AAA, FS, for a total of 6m, 4i. The mastery condition is good, but makes this style really limiting to non-solars or abyssals because suddenly AAA and FS don't gel well together. Maybe just increase the difficulty for the disengage roll for Terrestrials, or force them to pay 4i?

            Ascending Hare Form
            I would increase the cost of this form, it's pretty low right now. Second, this is simultaneously good, and not very good. The first effect, having 2 extra evasion whenever you do the base combo of the style, is pretty strong. The other effect, Essence die on your combat movement rolls, is pretty good later on, but offers very little to early users of the style. I would make this a little bit more powerful and reduce the cap on the first effect by 1, or specify that it's being boosted as though it were through an excellency.


            Second Step
            I'd get rid of the perilous keyword - by its nature, it's a decisive attack, so it can't be used in initiative crash anyway. This is an interesting charm; it's a multi-attack charm capped behind 2E that attacks 2 targets. I'm cool with it, aside from a general critique i'll address at the end.

            Rising Rabbit's Roundhouse
            Since this is a counter attack that gives you massive benefits, I would make it cost 1wp. Otherwise, it's good.

            Split Second Shatter Strike
            Good. I would have the enemy capable of resisting, though, maybe with a stamina + resistance roll trying to beat the roll over successes on the gambit. Otherwise, you're *functionally* putting a poison effect on a melee enemy without them having any recourse.

            Erratic Energetic Evasion
            I'm not sure I understand how this mechanically functions. Disengaging is an opposed roll between the two parties. What does it mean to add a difficulty to that? Are you subtracting the difficulty from the successes? Otherwise, this is cool.

            Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke
            This doesn't work: You can only initiate a rush from short range (197).

            Striving Spirit's Succession
            I would say this is weirdly undercosted. You're getting 2 automatic successes against your opponent per attack roll! That's really, really powerful. On the flip side, just like Ascending Hare Form, the second effect is pretty lackluster.

            Crushing Cottontail Cry:
            This is cool, I like this. I would just tighen up the language a little bit because I'm not sure how it a target's defense really plays into the roll. If I had one nitpick, is that it doesn't gel well with the rest of the style, which seems unconcerned about prone enemies. I guess they can't move, but the real counter to this style isn't trying to fight it by getting close to them.

            Final Step

            On the withering side, this is pretty underwhelming. On the decisive attack, I'm having trouble understanding this mechanically. Are the successes counted on the attack roll, or on the damage roll? Either way, the 9+ effect I'm a tiny bit hesitant on just "instant kill" moves. It works for your standard mook, but a raksha cataphract or hell, a behemoth or death lord? Ehh. How does that get resolved? What if there's no horizon, but they're indoors. I would rethink the 9+ effect of this.

            My one other "criticism" is that medium range itself is a pretty good distance. You get the hare basically...teleporting if she's a solar. Think of Second Step comboed with Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke, if it just ignored rush ranges. She jumps from long range, then jumps out to another medium range to attack another opponent, all in the matter of like....3 seconds. That is bonkers, to say the least.
            Last edited by PraxisCat; 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              I'm going to go charm by charm and give my opinion. Note that i'm not saying this style is bad, I actually really like it! I'm just going to be nitpicky so you can get some constructive (I hope) criticism on this and other styles going forward.
              No problem, I can roll with any sort of criticism. Balance is part of my worry and all that.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              First Step
              This looks good, It's not an attack, so it doesn't need the uniform keyword. Rerolling 2s is a pretty big deal. I'd probably cap it at essence or remove the 2s.
              Essence 1's and 2's works.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Ascent of Arcing Aggression
              This is good, and obviously pairs well with First Step. I imagine the Combo is AAA, FS, for a total of 6m, 4i. The mastery condition is good, but makes this style really limiting to non-solars or abyssals because suddenly AAA and FS don't gel well together. Maybe just increase the difficulty for the disengage roll for Terrestrials, or force them to pay 4i?
              Switched it from Mastery to a Terrestrial restriction to pay double the initiative basically.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Ascending Hare Form
              I would increase the cost of this form, it's pretty low right now. Second, this is simultaneously good, and not very good. The first effect, having 2 extra evasion whenever you do the base combo of the style, is pretty strong. The other effect, Essence die on your combat movement rolls, is pretty good later on, but offers very little to early users of the style. I would make this a little bit more powerful and reduce the cap on the first effect by 1, or specify that it's being boosted as though it were through an excellency.
              My thought was, since other forms just give defense a flat +1, giving a +2 for one turn if the martial artist completes an action didn't seem like much of a stretch. If they fail to move, then they cannot benefit. So a trapped hare is a sad hare. Though I did switch the dice to 1 auto success on combat movement, and 2 at essence 3+.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Second Step
              I'd get rid of the perilous keyword - by its nature, it's a decisive attack, so it can't be used in initiative crash anyway. This is an interesting charm; it's a multi-attack charm capped behind 2E that attacks 2 targets. I'm cool with it, aside from a general critique i'll address at the end.
              There ARE some decisive attacks you can use in crash. Like Solar Cross Counter explicitly mentioning that.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Rising Rabbit's Roundhouse
              Since this is a counter attack that gives you massive benefits, I would make it cost 1wp. Otherwise, it's good.
              1 wp added.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Split Second Shatter Strike
              Good. I would have the enemy capable of resisting, though, maybe with a stamina + resistance roll trying to beat the roll over successes on the gambit. Otherwise, you're *functionally* putting a poison effect on a melee enemy without them having any recourse.
              Treating it like a poison works. 7 rounds of duration, enemy can resist with Sta + Resist.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Erratic Energetic Evasion
              I'm not sure I understand how this mechanically functions. Disengaging is an opposed roll between the two parties. What does it mean to add a difficulty to that? Are you subtracting the difficulty from the successes? Otherwise, this is cool.
              Clarified. You disengage against the melee attack roll.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke
              This doesn't work: You can only initiate a rush from short range (197).
              ...Touche...mixed up into an auto attack on rush.

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Striving Spirit's Succession
              I would say this is weirdly undercosted. You're getting 2 automatic successes against your opponent per attack roll! That's really, really powerful. On the flip side, just like Ascending Hare Form, the second effect is pretty lackluster.
              -1 defense then if a movement action or range band movement. Changed the latter to wits to soak for the same bonus. And against the NEXT opponent. Which to be fair will likely be the only one, but there is a counter attack

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Crushing Cottontail Cry:
              This is cool, I like this. I would just tighen up the language a little bit because I'm not sure how it a target's defense really plays into the roll. If I had one nitpick, is that it doesn't gel well with the rest of the style, which seems unconcerned about prone enemies. I guess they can't move, but the real counter to this style isn't trying to fight it by getting close to them.
              That's fair, any ideas on what to replace that with? Or a better thing to do?

              Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
              Final Step

              On the withering side, this is pretty underwhelming. On the decisive attack, I'm having trouble understanding this mechanically. Are the successes counted on the attack roll, or on the damage roll? Either way, the 9+ effect I'm a tiny bit hesitant on just "instant kill" moves. It works for your standard mook, but a raksha cataphract or hell, a behemoth or death lord? Ehh. How does that get resolved? What if there's no horizon, but they're indoors. I would rethink the 9+ effect of this.

              My one other "criticism" is that medium range itself is a pretty good distance. You get the hare basically...teleporting if she's a solar. Think of Second Step comboed with Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke, if it just ignored rush ranges. She jumps from long range, then jumps out to another medium range to attack another opponent, all in the matter of like....3 seconds. That is bonkers, to say the least.
              I'm fine with changing the withering effect. I was iffy on that anyway, but I thematically like the "Kick them to Kingdom Come" effect. If they are indoors, they get burst through the ceiling. If there's no horizon...fighting there will be weird anyway. I like the idea of it thematically, and I do want to keep that theme as a final sonic boom finisher. As for size...there is a description of that with Heaven's Thunder Hammer in brawl, which this is partially based off of. The assumption is a foe of relatively similar size.

              Comment


              • #8
                Ascending Hare Form:
                I don't have a problem with it adding +2 Evasion; you could key the extra +1 off of a successful disengage or rush if you want it to be something you don't always get. You can reflexively make a movement every round and your opponent just reflexively follows you. In terms of mechanics, it's very hard not to get this except in some edge cases where you're like, on a small float of lava.

                Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke works well now. I like it. It's also your only real damage booster, which I think is great. I really enjoy the theme of this style, which is lightly attacking then getting out of range a number of times, then really smashing into them.

                Crushing Cottontail Cry: I'm not sure how to replace it, but something that would be more in the style of really powerful kicks moving you than moving the earth, which seems more like an earth dragon thing. One option is that it's a passive upgrade to the form, that automatically gives your kicks the smashing tag if you're unarmed / not wearing bracers, and decreases the difficulty knockdown gambit by 1. Another option is a 2 attack charm, where you start it off with a knockdown gambit and then can follow it up with a withering attack to help regain that initiative?

                For Final Step, I would say that 9+ sends them to long range, or, if it incapacitates them, sends them to the horizon. However, your ST's milage may vary. My personal stance is that I dislike instant-kill attacks, but if you two are cool with that, it's not my place to tell you how to run your game /what's fun for you!
                Last edited by PraxisCat; 07-15-2016, 04:02 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really like this style! I will try it when i get the chance so i can give some feedback.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
                    Ascending Hare Form:
                    I don't have a problem with it adding +2 Evasion; you could key the extra +1 off of a successful disengage or rush if you want it to be something you don't always get. You can reflexively make a movement every round and your opponent just reflexively follows you. In terms of mechanics, it's very hard not to get this except in some edge cases where you're like, on a small float of lava.
                    Okay, so +2 evasion after succeeding on combat movement action. Does not stack. Question, on this and first step, I was thinking adding the ability to disengage into the air if you want (IE jump up to short range), and giving the form the ability to nullify falling from short range in terms of damage, how does that sound? This wouldn't count for things like Heaven Thunder Hammer. Only a fall the character controls.

                    Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
                    Jarring Jackrabbit's Juke works well now. I like it. It's also your only real damage booster, which I think is great. I really enjoy the theme of this style, which is lightly attacking then getting out of range a number of times, then really smashing into them.
                    You got the gist of it.

                    Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
                    Crushing Cottontail Cry: I'm not sure how to replace it, but something that would be more in the style of really powerful kicks moving you than moving the earth, which seems more like an earth dragon thing. One option is that it's a passive upgrade to the form, that automatically gives your kicks the smashing tag if you're unarmed / not wearing bracers, and decreases the difficulty knockdown gambit by 1. Another option is a 2 attack charm, where you start it off with a knockdown gambit and then can follow it up with a withering attack to help regain that initiative?
                    I like the latter. I will work that in and see what people think.

                    Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
                    For Final Step, I would say that 9+ sends them to long range, or, if it incapacitates them, sends them to the horizon. However, your ST's milage may vary. My personal stance is that I dislike instant-kill attacks, but if you two are cool with that, it's not my place to tell you how to run your game /what's fun for you!
                    That could work. Option to launch them to long range, and as long as you want if incapped and it makes sense. Is it worth trying to keep a withering option for this attack? Or just decisive?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think it's worth keeping in mind that it probably shouldn't be more powerful than a Solar Charm, since it's a Martial Art that anyone can access, comparing it with Heaven's Thunder Hammer, I mean.


                      I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                        I think it's worth keeping in mind that it probably shouldn't be more powerful than a Solar Charm, since it's a Martial Art that anyone can access, comparing it with Heaven's Thunder Hammer, I mean.
                        Well thematically, I am going for the final punt/finishing blow. Heaven's Thunder Hammer takes significantly less successes to get similar results.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MonkofLords View Post

                          Well thematically, I am going for the final punt/finishing blow. Heaven's Thunder Hammer takes significantly less successes to get similar results.
                          True! That's fair, and this is a capstone with a higher Essence requirement.


                          I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Question, I notice that you mention it's unarmed only. Do you think that it'd be acceptable if say, someone were to homebrew God-Kicking Boots (mechanically, they're just Smashfists, but only on your feet), do you think those could count as form weapons?


                            Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah, that'd work fine. Boot weapons should good. Smash...boots. Or Pegasus boots or the other.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X