[Homebrew] Bureaucracy Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] Bureaucracy Rules

I'm not sure how much rules stuff I actually want for Bureaucracy. I do at least want some more guidelines for the use of the Ability. But I'm not sure how much of this stuff I'm actually going to use. Mostly wrote it because putting ideas on a page seemed more productive than letting them bounce around inside my head, and hearing people talk about Bureaucracy systems has gotten me thinking about this stuff.

Partly inspired by Irked's work. Some of this is true in the corebook, some of this is my own invention, and the line between the two isn't always clear.

I should add some examples, and probably will fairly soon. But I'm not feeling inspired to write Charms. Maybe that'll change, who knows.

Actions

Social Influence

Bureaucracy is an appropriate ability for social influence related to buying, selling, legal shenanigans, and the exploitation of organizational structures. The exact limitations of Bureaucracy as a social ability are pretty fuzzy, but STs are encouraged to be generous.

Haggling

When characters are arguing over the terms of a deal, each rolls (Manipulation + Bureaucracy). If a character wins with 1 or 2 threshold successes, they get a favourable deal. If a character wins with 3 or more threshold successes, they get as favourable a deal as the other character(s) is(are) psychologically capable of accepting. Some difficult negotiations may have a combined difficulty; if the hagglers don't roll that many successes together, they are unable to agree and the deal falls through.

The ST judges which deals count as favourable to who. For most transactions the Resources system isn't granular enough to represent the effects of haggling, but very large deals and sales of art and artifacts (or Artifacts) often make haggling very significant,

Legal Knowledge

(Intelligence + Bureaucracy) is used to represent a character's knowledge of laws and customs. It can be used to write effective laws, or to make declarations regarding them using the same system as Lore. A character's legal knowledge is limited to societies that they've lived in or at least studied.

Financial Affairs

(Intelligence + Bureaucracy) is also used to represent skill at handling money and running a business. If a financial or business-related task is not described here, that's probably the best thing to roll for it.

Delegation

Bureaucracy can be used for special Read Intentions actions that assess someone's suitability for a role in an organization. Piercing the target's Guile with (Perception + Bureaucracy) grants insight into how they would perform in a given job, or how they would execute a given task. It also gives an idea of their organizational skills. However, failing by a threshold of 2 or more successes allows the target to mislead you, giving whatever impression they please.

This is not mind-reading or prophecy. It is fairly reliable in normal situations, but not infallible. It can tell you that one potential magistrate will render harsh-but-fair judgements unless offered money, while another will be incorruptible but sometimes unwise. It can't tell you if someone has a dark secret that could be used to blackmail them, or how someone's personality will change in the future.

Auditing

Organizations are inherently opaque. Learning anything non-obvious about them requires the use of (Perception + Bureaucracy or Socialize). The difficulty is the organization's Secrecy, and the time taken is (Size) steps down this chart, starting at Hour for Size 0:

Hour
    Day
    Week
    Month
    Season
    Year
    Four years

If you lead the organization or have official authority to bother people with your investigations, subtract 2 from the effective Secrecy and Size. If that takes you to negative Size, the roll takes as long as asking a random minion.

Management

Running an organization uses (Intelligence + Bureaucracy). Spending a season running an organization adds the character's successes to the organization's Operation Roll in the form of dice. This may not more than double the organization's dice pool. Controlling the organization's actions for the reason requires the character to allocate successes equal to the organization's Resistance. If a leader doesn't do so, they will be largely unable to sway the actions of their organization.

Restructuring

Changing the Intimacies of an organization uses (Charisma or Manipulation + Presence or Bureaucracy). For other types of reorganization, (Intelligence + Bureaucracy) may be more appropriate. This is an extended roll, with a difficulty of the organization's Resistance, no terminus, and an interval that depends on Size. Use the chart for Auditing. This assumes you're a major figure in the organization. If you're not, add 2 to the organization's effective Resistance and Size. Goal number is 15 to create or remove a Minor Intimacy, 40 to strengthen a Minor or weaken a Major, and 100 to strengthen a Major or weaken a Defining. Use the intimacy goal numbers as a guide for the difficulty of other types of Restructuring.

Note that Restructuring is very likely to offend people. Succeeding on the roll is only half the battle - the other half is dealing with named characters who object to the changes you're making. These rules don't cover those conflicts.

Organizations

Normally, you don't need rules for organizations. The government of the city you live in can operate fine with no dice and no mechanics. But when you end up in charge of that city, you're likely to want some rules to handle the effects of your leadership.

The core mechanic of an organization is the Operation Roll, which is made once per season to determine how much the organization accomplishes. Roll Size + Ability +/- Intimacy, and allocate successes among various activities. More successes represents a larger and better-executed effort, of course, with the value of each success determined by Size. The activity allocated the most successes must correspond to the ability used, and successes allocated beyond an ability's rating count as half.

Organizations never roll to make interesting problems disappear. You can't just allocate five successes to win a war unless the table agrees that the war was a tedious distraction from the real meat of the game. But you can allocate five successes to dictate that your organization's armies are very large and well-organized and well-equipped and enthusiastic as you lead them to battle.

Actions taken to manage an organization must be roleplayed out, like all other actions. Sometimes that roleplaying will involve obstacles that must be overcome for your actions to have any chance of succeeding. An excellent Management roll suffices to control all the nameless faceless members of your organization, but people with character sheets can still shut you down. Possibly by stabbing you.

Organization Traits

Intimacies

Much like character Intimacies, though they apply to rolls more often. Organization intimacies often contradict, because the agendas of organization members often contradict. Normally only the strongest relevant Intimacy applies to a roll, but if one would benefit the roll and the other would harm it apply both. Usually, an organization has a Defining Intimacy towards doing what it's meant to do.

Size

The only Attribute an organization has. Represents both the number of people involved and their resources. Size 0 is one person and maybe some hired help, Size 1 is an ordinary shop or a family, Size 2 is a mid-sized company or a large extended family, Size 3 is an army, a noble house, or a city's government, Size 4 is an actual city, Size 5 is a nation, Size 6 is an unusually powerful nation, and Size 7 is the Realm. One success represents something that would be a noticeable but easily manageable effort for a group of such a size.

Abilities

Organization abilities are freeform. Most organizations don't have very many of them. A guild caravan might have Trade 3 and Travel 2, while a barbarian tribe might have Survive 2, War 2, Diplomacy 1, Travel 1, and Religion 1 and a company of mercenary Tiger Warriors led by a Solar might have War 5, Travel 3, and Make Money As Mercenaries 4.

Resistance, Secrecy, and Maintenance

An organization's Resistance impedes its leader's attempts to control it. A high-Resistance organization is large, set in its traditions, and full of people with competing agendas. A low-Resistance organization is small and obedient. Intimacies modify Resistance the same way they do Resolve, so it's much easier to lead an organization that likes and trusts you.

An organization's Secrecy opposes any attempt to Audit it. It reflects actual secrecy as well as general confusion. Again, it's affected by Intimacies.

An organization must spend a number of successes equal to its Maintenance each season in order to remain fully functional. Maintenance can fluctuate up and down depending on the circumstances - keeping a farming village intact is normally very easy, but a bad harvest or a nearby war can make it very hard. Failing to maintain an organization causes various minor problems in the short term, and reduces Morale.

Merits

Can be whatever. They appear and disappear as the ST sees fit.

Flaws

Less free-form than character flaws. They can have specific mechanical effects. Still exist at the ST's whim.

Morale

Similar to Willpower. One point of temporary Morale can be spent to add a success to an Organization roll. Each season of successful maintenance without the use of Morale restores one point of temporary Morale, while a season of failed maintenance subtracts one point of temporary Morale for each missing success. If Morale would fall below 0, the organization collapses into chaos instead.
    Last edited by Sanctaphrax; 07-18-2016, 01:54 PM.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

Sanctaphrax is not a person
    -Chejop Kejak

I'm loving this framework, but one thing I'm not sure about is your usage of degrees of success. I think I read about it being common in previous editions, but it seems like they've decided to not put as much emphasis on it in this one.

Or maybe it's a language thing, and we should be describing these in terms of threshold successes?

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

I promised examples, so...

(Got a bit carried away writing these.)

Individual Action Examples

Thirteeen Goats Cavorting Beneath A Lilac Sky, Eclipse caste Solar, has been arrested for cannibalism and tax fraud by the government of Onthathathatha. The case against her is indisputably strong, and Thirteeen is the kind of Eclipse who can't fight for crap. So Thirteeen tries to declare that the laws of Onthathathatha allow for trial by ordeal: the accused may ask to be given a sacred poison, with survival counting for proof of innocence. The Storyteller sets of a difficulty of 4, which Thirteeen meets handily, and a few Resistance rolls later Thirteeen is free.

Later, Thirteeen is trying to get into Mnemon's estate so that she can steal the earlobes of a young Dragonblood named Mnemon Example. She uses Manipulation + Bureaucracy (and rolls 4 successes) to pose as an official of the Thousand Scales with legitimate reason to enter the estate. Unfortunately, the guard rolls a surprising number of 10s and gets 6 successes on her Perception + Socialize roll to see through the ruse. Thirteeen then tries for bribery, again with Manipulation + Bureaucracy, but the guard turns out to be incorruptible.

Thirteeen is rotting in a Mnemon gaol, alive only because none of the local Dragonbloods know she's a Solar. The Gold Faction Sidereal called Chopstick Dance notices her there and goes to visit her. He tries to size her up for a role in the Bureau of Destiny, performing an impromptu job interview in her cell. He rolls Perception + Bureaucracy, and gets 8 successes with his Excellency. But she has Charms too, and raises her Guile to 11. She gives him the impression that she's brilliantly intelligent, a master bureaucrat, and a very hard worker (true). She also leads him to believe that she genuinely wants to improve the world, and that as a Heavenly employee she would work tirelessly for the good of Creation (bullshit).

Chopstick Dance, convinced that Thirteeen is just what Heaven needs, makes her an offer: if she'll accept a job in Yu-Shan, she'll get to leave the prison. Thirteeen is interested, so they get to haggling. Chopstick gets 11 successes to Thirteen's 10, so he gets the better end of the deal. She agrees that she'll work for him directly, and obey his orders under pain of death. As a start, he tasks her with cleaning up a small directorate in the Bureau of Secrets: the Mysterious Disappearances Directorate. He describes this as a test of her abilities, not mentioning his desire to know what happened to his comrade Sponge Sponge Sponge.

Organization Examples

The Hat Shop of Tweelve Goats Cavorting Beneath A Lilac Sky

Thirteeen Goats Cavorting Beneath A Lilac Sky grew up in this crummy little hat shop, which her father owns. She hated it. The employees of the shop include the owner's wife, his two non-Solar children, his apprentice, and hired help as required.

Intimacies:
      An honest day's work for an honest day's pay (Defining)
      We are family (Major)
      One day, this will be the greatest hat shop in the city! (Minor)
      The Immaculate Faith (Minor)

Size 1
      Abilities: Make hats 3, Trade 1, Other crafts 1
      Resistance 1
      Secrecy 2
      Maintenance 1
      Merits: None
      Flaws: Crumbling Building (Spend 3 successes to fix it sometime soon or it'll collapse and you'll be in bad bad shape)
      Morale 4

The Mysterious Disappearances Directorate

It was a bog-standard corrupt Heavenly office until recently. But then its boss was promoted, and a mysterious human sent in to replace him. Chopstick Dance has threatened to kill anyone who tells the rest of Heaven anything about the new boss, which has everyone on edge.

Intimacies:
      Money, power, and the finer things in life (Defining)
      Fear of the Sidereal Exalted (Major)
      Our job is important and worth doing (Minor)
      Distrust of various other Heavenly offices (Minor)

Size 3
      Abilities: Bureaucratic maneuvering 5, Track disappearances 4, Divine miracles 4
      Resistance 6
      Secrecy 5
      Maintenance 3
      Merits: Loom access (employees may use the Loom for disappearance-related activities)
      Flaws: New leader (Dice bonus from management is halved for the first year), Backlog (First twenty successes spent on actually doing job count for half), Corrupt (Successes spent on maintenance don't actually accomplish anything, they just line pockets)
      Morale 2

The Realm

Intimacies:
      Creation belongs to us - some parts just won't admit it (Defining)
      Respect for the Scarlet Empress (Defining)
      The Immaculate Faith (Defining)
      Dislike of various other major powers (Major)
      Various House agendas (Major)
      Contempt for various minor powers (Minor)
      Various individual Dragonblooded agendas (Minor)

Size 7
      Abilities: Military world domination 6. Economic world domination 5, Cultural world domination 4
      Resistance 7
      Secrecy 4
      Maintenance 6
      Merits: The Sword of Creation (yep), Stockpiled resources (100 successes to be spent whenever, up to 10 at a time), Previously well-run (still gets 3 dice each action from the Scarlet Empress' leadership)
      Flaws: No leader (Nobody has the right to manage the organization), Impending strife (preventing civil war will require heroic actions below the organizational level)
      Morale 8

Organization Action Examples

Now that Thirteeen is in charge of the Mysterious Disappearances Directorate, she has to get it working properly if she wants to stay alive. A Solar in Yu-Shan, even a secret one, is in a precarious position. And Chopstick is very scary. She rolls Intelligence + Bureaucracy to manage the Directorate, and gets 10 successes. Since she wants to change its focus from embezzlement to accomplishment, she needs to overcome its Resistance. Which is 6 + 4 for its Intimacy towards Money, power, and the finer things in life - 2 for its Intimacy of fear towards the Sidereals that Thirteeen works for. So she spends 8 successes controlling the organization, and spends the other two on improving its functioning.

The Directorate then attempts to do its job. It rolls Size + Track disappearances + Our job is important and worth doing + management dice, which is to say 10 dice. It gets five successes, 3 of which are spent on necessary corruption and 2 of which are spent on tracking disappearances. Unfortunately, the backlog Flaw halves those two successes. One success is enough to turn a hundred mysterious disappearances into mysterious-except-to-us disappearances, though.

Meanwhile, Thirteeen figures nothing's gonna improve unless the gods start caring again, so she tries to strengthen the Directorate's "Our job is important and worth doing" Intimacy. As before, she's rolling against Resistance 8. But after a month of careful promotion, chewing-out, and paperwork, she rolls 11 successes on her (Manipulation + Bureaucracy) roll. 10% of the way there, and only two gods want her dead.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        I'm loving this framework, but one thing I'm not sure about is your usage of degrees of success. I think I read about it being common in previous editions, but it seems like they've decided to not put as much emphasis on it in this one.

Or maybe it's a language thing, and we should be describing these in terms of threshold successes?
        Thanks.

I'm not quite sure I understand you, but if I do...yes, I'm talking about threshold successes. Would appreciate suggestions for making things clearer.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post

Thanks.

I'm not quite sure I understand you, but if I do...yes, I'm talking about threshold successes. Would appreciate suggestions for making things clearer.
          Yeah, I would use the phrase threshold successes to convey that, though there are also some places where I don't think it's necessary, like the Delegation section, when doing the special Read Intentions. Perhaps instead of having an effect on the basis of failing by two threshold failures(?) you could just save that for a botch. It just feels a little bit arbitrary and inconsistent with 3e design.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

With respect to bargaining:

One idea I am playing with (for a Modern-style system) is that buying / selling stuff generally involves two rolls: first to find a counterparty, and then the bargain roll. The difficulty of the search roll is based on how liquid the market is for that thing; buying / selling something large, valuable, and / or with very obscure utility all has a high difficulty.

Successes on this roll generate gains from trade, which are then divvied up via the bargain roll. (The formula should grant more gains for more successes but smaller gains for more liquid items; I haven't figured out the best format for this yet.) Gains are individually named / stunted advantages appropriate to the transaction.

The bargain roll is all about divvying up these gains. This is actually a pair of opposed, extended rolls (difficulty 0). The goal number for each person is the opponent's resolve; once you exceed that, additional successes grab you up gains until those are exhausted. The rolling continues until both parties reach the opponent's resolve; successes after the gains are exhausted actually come out of the other guy's pocket and make it a bad deal for him. (Implicitly, he doesn't realize this until after the deal is concluded. Doing this can give you a bad reputation so many people will stop there.)

So, for example, your Resolve is 4 and the other guy's is 2, the search has produced a deal with 5 gains. You roll a 5, he rolls a 1. You've grabbed 1 gain, he has eroded your resolve by 1. Next round, you roll a 6, he rolls a 4. You grab the remaining 4 gains, leave 2 successes left over to exploit him; he erodes your resolve to 0, and has 1 success left over past that; in the end, you get 1 additional gain at his expense.

As an additional mechanic: Each round you can cite an intimacy of yours that explains why you can't make this deal unless you get a lot of the gains (I need to feed my kids) and an intimacy of the other guy that explains why he needs this deal to go through regardless (you're not going to find a better offer!). These add to your resolve and subtract from his. You can cite fake intimacies but if the other guy identifies them as fake through a Read Intentions roll then instead of a bonus they apply an equal penalty.

Final twist: add a new feature to Frugal Merchant Method to make it actually useful - it lets you reject a bargain that ends up going against you (i.e. the other guy extracts additional gains from you beyond the gains from trade).

Comment

That sounds kinda complicated. Not sure it's worth adding so many wrinkles.

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
              Yeah, I would use the phrase threshold successes to convey that, though there are also some places where I don't think it's necessary, like the Delegation section, when doing the special Read Intentions. Perhaps instead of having an effect on the basis of failing by two threshold failures(?) you could just save that for a botch. It just feels a little bit arbitrary and inconsistent with 3e design.
              Honestly, I'm more inclined to say that that's a problem with 3e design. A failed attempt to read someone with very good Guile should let them deceive you.

I'll try to tighten up the language.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Honestly, I'm more inclined to say that that's a problem with 3e design. A failed attempt to read someone with very good Guile should let them deceive you.

I'll try to tighten up the language.
                Well, I imagine that when you fail a Read Intentions check, it's not as if your target becomes a blank wall that is unreadable. Rather, it seems more likely that you see what they present, and just that you either can't parse the true intention or mistake their surface behavior/what they want to project for their goal.

So I think that's part of the roll and doesn't necessarily need to be judged a failure of the system.

If you're concerned about players metagaming because they failed the roll, it's worth pointing out that whatever vibe they're giving off could be a genuine one, and all read intentions would've done is confirm it. If they behave hastily solely because they failed the roll, they're, well, acting hastily.

Comment

A simpler version would just involve two rolls: the search roll and a single bargain roll. Each player can choose to either invoke a single intimacy of theirs (to raise their resolve) or a single intimacy of their opponent's (to lower their opponent's resolve), and if neither player beats the other's resolve then no one actually gets any of the gains (but the deal still goes through).

Comment

The book isn't 100% clear, but I think failed Read Intentions rolls are meant to let you and your character know that you failed. "You try to figure out whether she has any ulterior motives here, and you honestly can't tell."

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Exactly. If you can't figure out the ulterior motive, you might assume that whatever motive is being presented on face to be true, or you might not at all. People choose how they express themselves, and Read Intentions is about getting past the presentation to the truth. They can be the same thing, or they might not be, and the way you determine that is with Read Intentions.

If you approach somebody and smile and do something nice for them and tell them it's "just 'cause", you're presenting your motive as "I'm doing this just because I like you." Read Intentions might in fact uncover that you want something from them, but if they fail the check, they don't know your true intentions. They can assume you're being truthful or untrue, they just can't tell. If they assume it's true, then you've deceived them. If they assume it's not, then they don't have the greater level of certainty one might have undergirding that sort of assumption.

Comment

Yes. So as I said, trying to read a master liar should involve the risk of being deceived. Not just the risk of not knowing anything.

If successful actions give you the truth and unsuccessful actions give you nothing, you never actually get a false impression. Sure, you can still choose to act on an assumption that turns out to be true, but...it's not good if literally every time you have a strong impression of someone's character your impression is completely correct.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

I think that's the sort of case where you use an Instill Action? You might anyway for characters that want something from the PC.

Anyhow, while I think this is the case for pretty much anything that runs on a longer time scale, Exalts really can run their organizations better than humans using the Management roll! Kinda reminds me of how Dragon-Blooded Commanders can be really scary, because their Excellency can really boost their dice pool. Never mess with a bureaucrat Solar.

D'oh, didn't notice that it can't do more than double the dicepool. Good call!

Comment

I need to start by saying this is all awesome, thank you so much for doing this. I have an affection for bureacrat characters whatever the game, and this is a lovely treatment of them in Exalted.

Most of the things I would do for now is flag which charms work with which actions, as well as noting benefits that Merits give you to these actions (Backing, Command etc). As most of these aren't set as subsets of actions but entirely new actions, they don't interact with RAW Bureaucracy charms. Some suggestions for these below:

Any of the actions should be viable targets for Indolent Official Charm.

Delegation: Deft Official's Way. I also feel like Measuring Glance should add some sort of bonus, but would the benefits of knowing their intimacies be enough and not require a roll bonus to supplement it?
                            Auditing: Note that Speed the Wheels is applicable if it's your organisation that you're auditing. I think it's compatible with RAW as-is.
                            Restructuring: I kind of want Bureau-Rectifying Method & Bureau-Reforming Kata to be relevant to this, but that would require rewriting the charm as it only deals with magical influences in RAW, despite the flavour text.

Some other thoughts

Auditing
                            If you lead the organization or have official authority to bother people with your investigations, subtract 2 from the effective Secrecy and Size. If that takes you to negative Size, the roll takes as long as asking a random minion.
                            Should this not be linked to the Backing merit? As level 2 is "a low level position" I would think half the Backing rounded up is reasonable. This will only give 1 or 2 anyway, but it links it to the character's standing in the organisation. As Command's dots represents the size of the organisation, it needs a flat bonus. Probably 3, given the Backing scale.

Management
                            How much time does a character need to devote to running the organisation for the purposes of this action? I'd guess similar to crafting time, but it might be worth confirming.

Restructuring
                            I would apply the negative of the Backing stuff I mentioned above as penalties to this if the character doesn't have them. Rounding down this time, ie Command has no penalties, Backing 4 becomes a -1 penalty, Backing 3 -2 and Backing 2 -3, with an unaffiliated individual limited to changing the organisation's intimacies through persuading their members of things (causing the workers to rebel, persuading management to change priorities etc), which probably shouldn't be simulated by this system. You're in effect persuading those in the organisation to make this action on your behalf in that case.

These penalties could potentially be waved if the organisation's Size is smaller than the Backing rating, reflecting the relative ease of implementing change in smaller organisations. But that's another thing to keep track of.

Organizations
                            The core mechanic of an organization is the Operation Roll, which is made once per season to determine how much the organization accomplishes.
                            What happens if multiple people (particularly multiple Circle members) run the organisation? Multiple rolls towards the total? Multiple rolls and take the highest single total? Only the one with the loudest voice making the roll? Or something else entirely?

Size
                            One success represents something that would be a noticeable but easily manageable effort for a group of such a size.
                            I get the intention of this sentence, but what's it doing in a description of the Size attribute? "One success at what? When were we talking about rolls?" was my first thought.

Abilities
                            Some of these, particularly the ones relating to travel, come out weird. If we're assuming the usual Attribute + Ability roll for an organisation to take an action, then it's more likely that the Realm will successfully relocate to the Bordermarches because it's big than for a single family shop to do so. I guess this needs to be case-by-case in order for stuff to make sense.

Overall, I love it.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
                            Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                              I need to start by saying this is all awesome, thank you so much for doing this. I have an affection for bureacrat characters whatever the game, and this is a lovely treatment of them in Exalted.
                              Thanks and you're welcome!

Most of the things I would do for now is flag which charms work with which actions, as well as noting benefits that Merits give you to these actions (Backing, Command etc). As most of these aren't set as subsets of actions but entirely new actions, they don't interact with RAW Bureaucracy charms. Some suggestions for these below:

Any of the actions should be viable targets for Indolent Official Charm.

Delegation: Deft Official's Way. I also feel like Measuring Glance should add some sort of bonus, but would the benefits of knowing their intimacies be enough and not require a roll bonus to supplement it?
                              Auditing: Note that Speed the Wheels is applicable if it's your organisation that you're auditing. I think it's compatible with RAW as-is.
                              Restructuring: I kind of want Bureau-Rectifying Method & Bureau-Reforming Kata to be relevant to this, but that would require rewriting the charm as it only deals with magical influences in RAW, despite the flavour text.
                              Honestly, I think a full Charm revision would be in order. When the underlying system changes radically, so should the Charmset.

But yeah, this looks like a good start.

Should this not be linked to the Backing merit? As level 2 is "a low level position" I would think half the Backing rounded up is reasonable. This will only give 1 or 2 anyway, but it links it to the character's standing in the organisation. As Command's dots represents the size of the organisation, it needs a flat bonus. Probably 3, given the Backing scale.
                              Hm, I dunno.

I would like these rules to play nice with the existing Merits, but level of Backing doesn't necessarily reflect rank...someone with Backing 3 in a small organization has a lot more authority over that organization than someone with Backing 3 in a large organization.

How much time does a character need to devote to running the organisation for the purposes of this action? I'd guess similar to crafting time, but it might be worth confirming.
                              At least a few hours a day. It's a job, probably a full-time one. Probably should be more explicit.

What happens if multiple people (particularly multiple Circle members) run the organisation? Multiple rolls towards the total? Multiple rolls and take the highest single total? Only the one with the loudest voice making the roll? Or something else entirely?
                              My first thought: if they're cooperating, the most skilled one rolls. If they're not, a Flaw is in order.

I get the intention of this sentence, but what's it doing in a description of the Size attribute? "One success at what? When were we talking about rolls?" was my first thought.
                              ...I should probably move that bit.

Honestly, I think the best place for it would be with a list of examples for what organizations of Size X can expect to do with Y successes. But I don't feel like writing one of those.

Some of these, particularly the ones relating to travel, come out weird. If we're assuming the usual Attribute + Ability roll for an organisation to take an action, then it's more likely that the Realm will successfully relocate to the Bordermarches because it's big than for a single family shop to do so. I guess this needs to be case-by-case in order for stuff to make sense.
                              Good point.

The hypothetical example list that I'm too lazy to write would probably make clear that while a larger organization can move more people with a single success, the number of people you can move doesn't grow as fast as the number of people in your organization. So larger organizations relocate slower.

Overall, I love it.
                              Thanks again. Both for the comments and for the compliments.

EX3 Craft Rewrite

-Chejop Kejak

Comment

Working...
                              X