Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solars in disguise? (Excuses for being able to wield essence)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solars in disguise? (Excuses for being able to wield essence)

As the title implies, I was looking for excuses Solar PCs could use to explain away their ability to manipulate essence. There's the obvious pretend to be an Enlightened Mortal or Godblooded, but can anyone think of anything else? Also, if you have ideas for pretending to be an Enlightened Mortal or Godblooded, I'd love to hear them.

Which things do they do that requires the excuse?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Weird Exigent.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
      Many Limbed Manual
      Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
      San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
      My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Personally never a fan of the hiding thing with Solars. Bad experiences in the past where Exalted games I was in degenerated into World of Darkness where you never wanted to make a splash unless you wanted to get crushed like a bug. Which always happened if any celestial used a mote of peripheral essence.

That being said, maybe the character says they are a god? Or is assumed to be one by grateful villagers owing to their power and, presumed, good will?

Or maybe their strange powers come from the ancestral weapon or talisman that they carry, whose powers react only to their bloodline?

Maybe they say that their parents bathed them in the waters of Yu-Shan during the Carnival of Meeting as an infant, or that they drank from a holy cup which held liquid sunlight instead of water?

Comment

Steal jade armour and a jade daiklaive (if you are a Dawn, replace "steal" with "claim from a Dynast's corpse"). Claim to be a Dragonblood of whatever aspect matches the colour of your hair. Put on a snooty accent and constantly complain about how everything is better in the Realm, but at least the noble savages of this area are in touch with nature. This part is important, as it will make your disguise more convincing.

I play...
          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

People don't have an innate ability to tell that an Exalt is using Essence. How did you fell that mighty oak with a single sword-stroke? Hard work and practice!

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Unless anima flares there's no need to explain essence wielding since most aren't going to notice. Being a sorcerer can explain a lot of things as people are not gonna want to question it. For everything else there's hard work, "secret techniques" you can't share, and it never hurts to credit blessings to random dieties no one has heard of.

Comment

Absent the blatant stuff like leaping over a mountain, casting Magma Kraken, or wrestling a tyrannosaurid, quite a bit of Solar arête blurs the line between magic and being Just That Good. As is appropriate, since Exalted draws on quite a few kung-fu movies for inspiration.

A guy who leaps onto a house's roof in one bound could just be an amazing athlete.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the average layperson in Creation is a lot less educated than his Earth counterpart in the fields of biology, anatomy, et cetera. - he doesn't know a standing vertical jump of ten feet is impossible, he just knows he's never seen it done before.
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 08-04-2016, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Unless a Solar's Charm is powered by peripheral Essence or happens to be obviously supernatural - he fires a beam of light from his sword that cuts a rider and horse in half, nobody will know he's using Essence. Even if he does fire a beam from his sword, he can pass it off as being godblooded or some such. The only time a Solar is in danger is if his or her anima and Caste mark appear, and at that point there's not much you can do to do disguise your nature anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                    Even if he does fire a beam from his sword, he can pass it off as being godblooded or some such.
                    Depending, of course, on his ability to convincingly tell a lie, and the ability of an onlooker to see through said lie.

Also, as noted below, that might not be enough to get you out of hot water - remember, to the Immaculates, the very act of existing, as a God-Blooded, is a form of heresy.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                    The only time a Solar is in danger is if his or her anima and Caste mark appear, and at that point there's not much you can do to do disguise your nature anymore.
                    This, regrettably, is untrue.

One of the tenets the Immaculates spread was that the supernatural is not supposed to be interfering in the lives of mortals (excepting, of course, for the Dragon-Blooded), and that if said supernaturals are acting up, it's a mortal's duty to report it to the nearest Immaculate monks or Dragon-Blooded. Doing blatant supernatural stuff without flashing your anima and caste mark may not get an immediate Wyld Hunt on you, but it probably will start the investigation ball rolling.

Even in places where traces of the Immaculate Philosophy haven't permeated down to the bones of society, if you use Sandstorm Wind Attack where everyone can see you, someone's gonna run for a priest.

In other words…

If there's something strange
                    in your neighborhood
                    Who ya gonna call?
                    GODBUSTERS!
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 08-04-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Since it may be helpful to add, the reason I was asking is because the campaign I'm starting is set in An-Teng, an area rather firmly under Realm control.

Also, I should note since some people are bringing it up, but it's easier to keep your anima from flairing in 3e. It goes up a level whenever you spend 5+ motes in a single tick from your peripheral pool.

Comment

Originally posted by IgnisDomini View Post
                        …it's easier to keep your anima from flairing in 3e. It goes up a level whenever you spend 5+ motes in a single tick from your peripheral pool.
                        Actually, it's a single instant. If you spend 4m on an attack and 2m on a defense in the same tick, you don't flare (but you would if you'd spent 5 on the attack and 1 on the defense).

Comment

Don't forget: Anyone using Essence (so, Exalted other than the Dragonblooded, Elementals, Spirits, Ghosts, and Gods) are going to be reported to the local Immaculate monks as a matter of course, at least in Immaculate-fearing territory.

While it isn't going to bring a Wyld Hunt down on your PC's head, I would reasonably expect them to be summoned to the local Immaculate monastery for an interview by the monks. Said interview is probably not going to go well for the PCS.

" So, I understand, O Prince of the Earth, that you are blessed by the blood of the Dragons, much like myself. If I may ask, are you from the Realm? It has been some time since I have heard word from there, and the political squabbles are troubling...."

" Ah, no, I am ....... local"

" Ohoho, a "lost egg"! Well, I am sure you understand that I must report you to the Arbiters of the Wyld Hunt, as is required by Imperial Law."

".....shit......"

Either they get caught as a non-Dragonblooded, get dragged off by the Arbiters and conscripted as an Immaculate or into the Legion, or something else. I would imagine it to be very hard ot disguise your Anima as something else, much less the "flavor" of your Essence.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
                            " So, I understand, O Prince of the Earth, that you are blessed by the blood of the Dragons, much like myself. If I may ask, are you from the Realm? It has been some time since I have heard word from there, and the political squabbles are troubling...."

" Ah, no, I am ....... local"

" Ohoho, a "lost egg"! Well, I am sure you understand that I must report you to the Arbiters of the Wyld Hunt, as is required by Imperial Law."

".....shit......"

Either they get caught as a non-Dragonblooded, get dragged off by the Arbiters and conscripted as an Immaculate or into the Legion, or something else. I would imagine it to be very hard ot disguise your Anima as something else, much less the "flavor" of your Essence.
                            That's not how any of that works.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              That's not how any of that works.

Per the 2E Dragonblooded book, for Outcastes in the Realm-controlled Threshold..... yes, yes it is. They either get adopted into a Great House, or they get conscripted.

page 54, MoEP: Dragonblooded.

Comment

Working...
                              X