Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solars in disguise? (Excuses for being able to wield essence)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not every Dragon-Blooded you come across in the Threshold is a Lost Egg.

Also, rather tellingly, we're not in 2e anymore.

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Even in places where traces of the Immaculate Philosophy haven't permeated down to the bones of society, if you use Sandstorm Wind Attack where everyone can see you, someone's gonna run for a priest.
      Yes, but even then the local priest or shaman probably isn't likely to be an expert on supernatural beings. Passing yourself off as an Exalt, or a godblooded, or a sorcerer or someone who has received the blessings of the spirits, or whatnot is entirely possible. Not to mention that if you just demonstrated that you can cut a horse and an armored warrior in half from 30 yards away, the local priest probably isn't going to be terribly aggressive with you, even if he suspects your story about being a godblooded is full of crap.

Comment

Fair points, AnubisXy - I'm just saying, saying there's no danger is inaccurate. Even if a mortal priest can't do anything to you in a straight fight, he can still take actions that lead to trouble for you in the future - even absent any ill intent on his part - because you revealed yourself as a supernatural.

He/him

Comment

I feel as though, unless somebody was looking really closely and it was a rather ordered fight, people would have a hard time noticing that an invisible blade of force was being emitted from somebody's weapon strike.

‚ÄčThat's still at an edge case, mind. Most Melee Charms are a bit indistinguishable from just hitting somebody with a sword.

Don't do anything that glows, and don't pick fights with gods. Anything else you do can probably be easily passed off as just something people do to others who don't know any better.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

A lot might also depend on what action the person in question witnessed. Did you shake down and rob the village elder to get payed for protecting them from bandits? Then you have a bigger chance of them sending a runner to beg the help of an Immaculate. However if your character was the one who used their supernatural abilities to aid the villagers in protecting themselves from the bandits, say through a training montage? Then I think they would be less likely to turn on the character.

Its probably just me, but I think that people are less inclined to scream "Anathema!" at a person who just saved them or has used their powers to be genuinely...well....heroic. Yes there are always going to be the die-hards and true believers, but I think a great defense against being jumped by Wyld Hunts would be "Don't be a dick."

Comment

The worst tight spot I've put two Solars in involved some friendly immaculate monks discovering the two Solar smugglers they were working with (long story) surrounded by a dozen dead erymanthoi. At that point, the supernal Larcenist went ahead and popped a fake Air anima and went all "BE NOT AFRAID!" Since he was handwaving it, everyone just sort of went with the fact that the chubby dude in the ratty clothes covered in demon blood was some sort of amazing supernatural martial artist. Details unimportant. This was definitely true, but the question of whether or not he was an Anathema martial artist would have been downright heretical to ask of the elemental bodhisattva travelling with him. He's the hand-picked companion of a demigod, of COURSE he can punch a demon in the snout and live to tell the tale!

These were educated monks who knew that the Anathema are consummate liars, but in a context where it was proper to simply assume the best, they didn't press for more information. I think that's an accurate portrayal of human nature! (but I might be biased, since I was the ST in that absurd scenario)

Comment

Yeah path of least resistance is also a good one. I mean if the situation doesn't match what they think an anathema would be involved with they won't question it, or they'll assume the best just because it is prefered for it not to be anathema that they probably can't stop.That anathema are known to be potentially skilled at deception also gives some leeway as a failed discovery being revealed to them later can be met with concern on whether they were anathema at the time or a lot of mea culpa with vows to be ever more vigilant after seeing first hand the deceptive talents of an anathema.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post

Per the 2E Dragonblooded book, for Outcastes in the Realm-controlled Threshold..... yes, yes it is. They either get adopted into a Great House, or they get conscripted.

page 54, MoEP: Dragonblooded.
                  When it says the Just Arbiters of Purpose use "every means at their disposal (including sorcery and the Heliograph system) to find and bring back newly exalted terrestrials" that doesn't mean that they forcibly kidnap every outcaste they come across. They're recruiters .

Comment

Nobody in Creation, not even the Immaculate Order, has the benefit of reading the books. There are literally thousands of different spirits and unique beings with power beyond mortal ken. Unless the Solars act like Anathema (Caste marks, etc), it's more likely mortals will be just differential and fear them. They aren't going ask for the character's Proof of Spirithood License or anything.

Since it's Ang-Teng, they may report them to the local Immaculates later, of course. However, since Ang-Teng is only outwardly subservient, they might "forget" the whole thing just to spite their oppressors.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                      When it says the Just Arbiters of Purpose use "every means at their disposal (including sorcery and the Heliograph system) to find and bring back newly exalted terrestrials" that doesn't mean that they forcibly kidnap every outcaste they come across. They're recruiters .
                      Double-posting just to agree with this. It would be terminally stupid to compel any Exalt into service.

Comment

Since many people believe that the Realm's streets are lined with gold and the Dragonblood recline in giant jade mansions with hundreds of slaves to satisfy their every whim, recruiting Outcastes isn't generally that hard. The awkward bit is when they get to the Realm and find out that the giant mansions and hundreds of slaves are for high-ranking members of the Dynasty, and they get to be a monk or a soldier. Of course, by then it's a bit late.

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                        Nobody in Creation, not even the Immaculate Order, has the benefit of reading the books. There are literally thousands of different spirits and unique beings with power beyond mortal ken. Unless the Solars act like Anathema (Caste marks, etc), it's more likely mortals will be just differential and fear them. They aren't going ask for the character's Proof of Spirithood License or anything.

Since it's Ang-Teng, they may report them to the local Immaculates later, of course. However, since Ang-Teng is only outwardly subservient, they might "forget" the whole thing just to spite their oppressors.
                        Or not report it because going near Dragonblood is considered generally something best avoided.

I play...
                        Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                        Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

"I'm gonna go report this to the local Immaculate!" "You know he has a short temper, right? Ask Scorchy McGee. I think he's grown an eyebrow back since the last time he bothered them." "... I'm gonna go report this to the local bar and drink until I forget it!" "Smart lad."

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                            Unless a Solar's Charm is powered by peripheral Essence or happens to be obviously supernatural - he fires a beam of light from his sword that cuts a rider and horse in half, nobody will know he's using Essence. Even if he does fire a beam from his sword, he can pass it off as being godblooded or some such. *snip*
                            I can imagine this could be chalked up to some kind of magical artifact as well. It's been a while since I read Scavenger Sons but I got the impression that there was/is a market for such things for mortals with enough coin.

Comment

Not really. Mortals can't use Artifacts, so in practical terms they're nothing but extremely expensive trouble magnets.

Comment

I think the thing that merits consideration is how many mortals actually know that, and if they know an artifact is a capital A Artifact when they see it and that capital A artifacts can't be used by mortals.

Like, I doubt they have that knowledge casually. They might specifically associate big honking huge swords with Dragon-Blooded, but there are other things with Essence pools capable of wielding artifacts too.
                                Last edited by Leetsepeak; 08-05-2016, 11:23 PM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Working...
                                X