Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solars in disguise? (Excuses for being able to wield essence)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solars in disguise? (Excuses for being able to wield essence)

As the title implies, I was looking for excuses Solar PCs could use to explain away their ability to manipulate essence. There's the obvious pretend to be an Enlightened Mortal or Godblooded, but can anyone think of anything else? Also, if you have ideas for pretending to be an Enlightened Mortal or Godblooded, I'd love to hear them.

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Really, I feel as though even in a setting with Second Edition rules, the notion of an Enlightened Mortal would be less well known than the Exalted.

​When it comes to something like a daiklave, I think your best bet is not letting other people try carrying it so that they don't realise how odd it is for you to carry.

Either that or just keep the thing in a bag, or better yet, Elsewhere.

Asking how to disguise your openly carried weapon of legend feels like it's skipping over an obvious step.

If it's a question of getting into fights, I would say you're better off carrying a mundane weapon to serve as your backup. I mean, if you're ever fighting something that really warrants your daiklave as opposed to a normal sword, then I don't think any excuses are going to cut it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    Yeah, I imagine that'll be the case too. The description of Lookshy in general sounds less hi-tech and more like they are just knowledgeable of powerful things

Leave a comment:

• IgnisDomini
    replied
    Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

Interestingly, Gunzosha is one of the artifacts which is explicitly name-dropped in the Corebook for 3rd Edition.

I would assume they'll at least reflavor it to be less tech-y, then.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    Originally posted by IgnisDomini View Post

Mortals can use certain artifacts, ones specifically designed for use by mortals. While I doubt Ashigaru and Gunzota power armor are making a comeback in 3e, mortals could use those (they costed willpower to attune instead of essence), and the Animal-Commanding Masks and Ancestor Sashes of An-Teng (which are mentioned in 3e core) are specifically designed for mortal use (in fact, Exalted get basically no benefit from the Ancestor Sashes, as their effect is stronger the lower your essence).

Also, Enlightened Mortals can use artifacts the same as Exalted.
    Interestingly, Gunzosha is one of the artifacts which is explicitly name-dropped in the Corebook for 3rd Edition.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    I think the idea is that there's no longer a state where one is "mortal, but with a mote pool."

3rd Edition demands more interesting circumstances for Mortal's to have mote pools. I imagine situations such as being God-blooded, turned into an archetypal being like Mist or transformations of other kinds accomplished through stuff like Sorcery.

Like, Joe the mortal can become Joe the Fiery Elemental guy with a mote pool. He's still Joe! He's just... Not mortal anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Crumplepunch
    replied
    Originally posted by LadyLens View Post
    There aren't any enlightened mortals in 3e. Not in the sense of having a mote pool, at least.
    I think there are certain unique exceptions. Mist could be seen as being an "enlightened mortal" in the sense of having an Essence x10 mote pool and otherwise mortal-like stats. He has a daiklave-like weapon, Interregnum.

Also, in the early 3e draft there was a Scavanger Lord in the antagonists section who used numerous minor magical trinkets, like a ring that makes his hand invisible.

Leave a comment:

• LadyLens
    replied
    There aren't any enlightened mortals in 3e. Not in the sense of having a mote pool, at least.

Leave a comment:

• IgnisDomini
    replied
    Not really. Mortals can't use Artifacts, so in practical terms they're nothing but extremely expensive trouble magnets.

Mortals can use certain artifacts, ones specifically designed for use by mortals. While I doubt Ashigaru and Gunzota power armor are making a comeback in 3e, mortals could use those (they costed willpower to attune instead of essence), and the Animal-Commanding Masks and Ancestor Sashes of An-Teng (which are mentioned in 3e core) are specifically designed for mortal use (in fact, Exalted get basically no benefit from the Ancestor Sashes, as their effect is stronger the lower your essence).

Also, Enlightened Mortals can use artifacts the same as Exalted.

Leave a comment:

• Lanaya
    replied
    Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    Like I said depends on the extent of use. It might be unweildly, but damnit if there aren't advantages to weilding a weapon massive enough to cripple your enemy by dropping it on them and that's nigh indestructible.
    There might be advantages to lugging a smallish artifact weapon around so you can wait for your enemies to stand near a rooftop and drop the thing on their heads, but actually wielding an artifact weapon in combat will never pay off for anyone who can't attune to it. The penalties are just way too steep, and they're supposed to be. Weapons and armour requiring attunement to use properly is integral to the whole concept of artifacts in Exalted.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanaya View Post

"Attunement: To use this weapon, the wearer must commit
    five motes to make it respond to her desires more easily.
    Without this commitment, subtract -5 from the weapon’s
    Accuracy and its Defense, and lose two Initiative per
    attempted attack or defense. These penalties can only be
    negated by attunement."

So technically a mortal can wield a daiklave, but it's hard to imagine it ever being worth it.
    Like I said depends on the extent of use. It might be unweildly, but damnit if there aren't advantages to weilding a weapon massive enough to cripple your enemy by dropping it on them and that's nigh indestructible.

Leave a comment:

• Lanaya
    replied
    Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    Depends on the artifact and the extent of use you mean. I mean a mortal can use a winter breath jar just as well as an exalt. The light weapon category can probably be used by most mortals even if they might need an additional dot of strength on it. Then there are probably artifacts that have developed extra abilities through other means, like a magic equivilant to Gut's Dragonslayer being able to kill the immaterial just because of how many demons it's killed.
    "Attunement: To use this weapon, the wearer must commit
    five motes to make it respond to her desires more easily.
    Without this commitment, subtract -5 from the weapon’s
    Accuracy and its Defense, and lose two Initiative per
    attempted attack or defense. These penalties can only be
    negated by attunement."

So technically a mortal can wield a daiklave, but it's hard to imagine it ever being worth it.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Not really. Mortals can't use Artifacts, so in practical terms they're nothing but extremely expensive trouble magnets.
    Depends on the artifact and the extent of use you mean. I mean a mortal can use a winter breath jar just as well as an exalt. The light weapon category can probably be used by most mortals even if they might need an additional dot of strength on it. Then there are probably artifacts that have developed extra abilities through other means, like a magic equivilant to Gut's Dragonslayer being able to kill the immaterial just because of how many demons it's killed.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    I think the thing that merits consideration is how many mortals actually know that, and if they know an artifact is a capital A Artifact when they see it and that capital A artifacts can't be used by mortals.

Like, I doubt they have that knowledge casually. They might specifically associate big honking huge swords with Dragon-Blooded, but there are other things with Essence pools capable of wielding artifacts too.
    Last edited by Leetsepeak; 08-05-2016, 11:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LadyLens
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X