Flawless Handiwork Method and rerolling 10s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flawless Handiwork Method and rerolling 10s

I must be misunderstanding what it means to "reroll 10s until 10s fail to appear," as wouldn't this make the result worse?

I don't think it is clarified, but the only sensible reading is that any effect that rerolls 10s keeps the successes and just grants another die.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
      I don't think it is clarified, but the only sensible reading is that any effect that rerolls 10s keeps the successes and just grants another die.
      Yes, that's also how I read it (though I must admit it's not the clearest phrasing the authors could have found).
      I seem to recall there was some other example that made it clearer.

Comment

I think the other examples make it less clear, as other similar charms do say "re-roll 10s and keep the old results" or something similar while this one doesn't.
        But, you know, if it was just re-roll 10s, it would be rubbish, so clearly you do get to keep them.

I play...
        Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
        Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

They could also have just made a mistake and meant for it to be "reroll 1s," but I'd hope something like that would get sorted out in editing.

Comment

Originally posted by IgnisDomini View Post
            They could also have just made a mistake and meant for it to be "reroll 1s," but I'd hope something like that would get sorted out in editing.
            Doubtful, rerolling 10s comes up elsewhere with Adamantine Fists of Battle and Awakening Eye. The latter does a better job of explaining how it works, though.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post

Doubtful, rerolling 10s comes up elsewhere with Adamantine Fists of Battle and Awakening Eye. The latter does a better job of explaining how it works, though.

You know, they really should have just said "Roll an additional die for each 10, repeating for 10s on the additional dice until 10s fail to appear." That would have been way clearer.

Comment

That would have been clearer, yeah.
                Unclear charms is, IMO, Exalted's biggest flaw (which is a lot better than boring fluff or terrible rules, of course! But I'm hoping that later books will have clearer language).
                At least though, with Flawless Handiwork Method, it's pretty obvious how it's supposed to work, since one reading of the charm would make it detrimental to activate, so must be wrong.
                Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM.

I play...
                Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Working...
                X