No announcement yet.

Miracles of the Solar Exalted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other thing that bugged me, and I thought there must be a cool way to fix this is this quote:

Originally posted by Page 18
    Melee Charms have to work not only with spears, but with axes, swords, claymores, etc.
    Why is this? I understand that Melee charms don't have "Form weapons" but how cool would it be to have mini trees of 3-5 charms that start with "When armed with a spear [or artifact equivalent] the Exalt may . . ."

I would love to see weapon exclusive melee charm trees/chains for Spears, Swords, Axes, Scythes, etc.

In fact I think that this idea (while I expect/hope it is way too late in development) would be something that would be rather useful for the Dragon Blooded.

Anyway, I just thought I would post here and see if there was anyone else who agreed with me. I debated on posting a new thread, but I don't honestly know if it is worth it.

Comment

Dear lord no, I hope that doesn't happen.

Although I could see an Exigent of the god of Spears having solar melee charms with spears as the form weapon.

Comment

There's already Archery charms that don't work with flamepieces, I don't see how a charm that for example is only useful if your weapon has the piercing/smashing/whatever tag isn't in theme for Solars.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
        Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
        Some Lintha QCs
        A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

Tgey do have them. They're called martial arts.

Comment

Yeah, those would be Martial Arts.

Anyway.

I like a fair few of these charms. They're big and exciting. Others I have no strong opinion on. There aren't really I dislike, which is the main thing.
            But, the important thing is: a)some are powerful yes, but none jump out at me as broken (at least for now), and b)there are far less charms whose mechanics are unclear than the Core. I like Ex3, but my one real criticism of it is that there's a lot of stuff that's written in an unclear way. I only noticed two or three charms that I felt were unclear, but one of them is made reasonably clear by the commentary.
            They also cover a couple of lacking effects nicely, such as the ability to give your speeches loud enough for everyone to hear.

Also, I like the art. It's stylistically consistent, and while they don't seem to have used my favourite artist from the Core, it's all good quality. I expect that now the Core's done, the artists that the Devs were happy with have been retained for more work while the ones they (or the angry forumites) were not happy with will not be rehired.

Oh, and it's cheap!

All-in-all, I think this is a fairly positive piece of work in terms of where the line is going.

My only criticisms of this book are:
            1) John Morke is, as ever, not very concise (though this isn't so much of a problem with small pdfs like this)
            2) A fur cloak and lady's pipe match each other, Manchu-style... but combo-ing them with a mini-skirt and long socks is, I feel, a fashion faux pas. One could argue that one shouldn't expect barbaric Anathema to be properly co-ordinated for the season, but shouldn't they have devilish fashion sense? She's probably a Twilight.

My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              YAlso, I like the art. It's stylistically consistent, and while they don't seem to have used my favourite artist from the Core, it's all good quality. I expect that now the Core's done, the artists that the Devs were happy with have been retained for more work while the ones they (or the angry forumites) were not happy with will not be rehired.
              While I am overjoyed with the art in Miracles, complete and full credit for getting it in there belongs to Maria, Rich, and Chaney. We don't pick the artists, generally, just do the art notes. (In this case, Rich did the art notes, too, I believe. Man is very good at his job.)

2) A fur cloak and lady's pipe match each other, Manchu-style... but combo-ing them with a mini-skirt and long socks is, I feel, a fashion faux pas. One could argue that one shouldn't expect barbaric Anathema to be properly co-ordinated for the season, but shouldn't they have devilish fashion sense? She's probably a Twilight.
              It's a backer's character, so you'd have to take it up with them lol

I like the cover. Also, I'm really happy we're back to apparently having custom typography for the titles on the covers, rather than a uniform font-styling like they used in the last edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
                Dear lord no, I hope that doesn't happen.

Although I could see an Exigent of the god of Spears having solar melee charms with spears as the form weapon.
                Originally posted by SoulGambit View Post
                Tgey do have them. They're called martial arts.
                Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Yeah, those would be Martial Arts.
                These would be different from Marital Arts. For 1 they would only be 3-5 charms long. For another they would be more focused on the weapon rather than the martial arts.

Much like how there are brawl charms and martial arts styles that preclude the use of weapons.

Something where the martial arts merit and 5 dots in brawl wouldn't make sense as a prerequisite.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post
                  I am super happy the rest of the world gets to play with Hanging Judgment Arc. It is just the goddamn coolest. Andrew Bartkus is everyone's hero.
                  I'm ecstatic that Holden turned my fuzzy idea into good mechanics, and I'm very happy that people other than me are excited by the charm.

A++++ would buy an official charm again
                  Last edited by bartkusa; 08-18-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

PERFORMANCE
                    Soothing savage nature with music is great and fluffy. Its my favorite charn from this section. The voice projection charm and the stuff instruments elsewhere are charms Im surprised dont already exist.

PRESENCE
                    ... You get a charm to reflexively perform social actions. 'Nuff said. Black Claw Stylists look here.

Theres a slaying of the spirit (think evangelical revival tent) charm that amused me. It also breaks you out of grapples.

The other big highlights stem from the line of charms that let you nominate a prophet to go forth and socal-fu / work miracles in your name. Its a pretty solid way to go about things and expands on a dimension of Presence that was sort of underserved.

I cant seem to parse what God-Heeling Gesture ... actually does. Like looking at it as an ST and as a player I'm not sure what the scope is actually suppossed to be.

RESISTANCE
                    You get a scene long small boost to soak and hardness and a discount on using all the weapon / armor summoning stuff at once.

RIDE
                    Share some survival charms with your mount. Kay. Nothing exciting.

SAIL
                    A really awesome and useful charm for pirates (seriously, read it. If you are a pirate, you will smile). And a share survival charms with your crew / ship charm.

Lots of apocraphyl stuff though.

SOCIALIZE
                    Build supplemental intomacies when you build up or tear down existing ones, and you can know when people say bad things about you. The latter is a huge boost, useful to everyone. The intimacy one..m maybe other people see more Socialize rolls to instill than I do?

STEALTH
                    First charm is the famous bank successes charmthat erratas the corebook to make all banked success charms non-charm bonuses. Not sure how I feel about the errata.

The charm itself is great. You partrol an area and scope out hiding places to bank successes. This encourages interacting with the setting and forethought, which are things often overlooked from the stealth character. I really like it.

The grapple charm is... interesting. Basically you can pull someone into a private kung fu fight in the shadows. Its a bit weird and surprising, but I like it and it lets your night caste go full horror movie on someone.

SURVIVAL
                    Okay. First off. The elephant in the room. Survival gets an appearance boosting "become a catgirl" charm that doesn't have the apocryphal keyword. What even?

You get the best grow familiar charm in the game, letting you fulfill your dream of being a Green Planeswalker. You also get to call an army of forest critters to fight for you as a battlegroup, which is awesome.it has a real solar king of the jungle feel.

THROWN
                    Gets a *lot* of Disarm / Distract / Unhorse Gambit support. I'm... not sure how I feel about it, honestly. I want to see it in play. I always want to like Thrown but Disarm / Distract / Unhorse feel like wasted tactics most of the time, against most but not all enemies.

The capstone charm that lets you gambit multiple people has an odd interaction with distract. You transfer the init you spend on the attack, which is 2 (sometimes 3)... so its not that useful. Still, mass Disarm / Distract / Unhorse / Psyedo grapple is useful.

That last bit beings us to the new unique thing thrown can do: ranged grapples. I'm not sure if the ranged grapple functions like a normal grapple (it says "snare." Can you savage or throw someone hit by this charm, and if so does that use a thrown or a brawl attack?

WAR
                    Gets a charm that lets you disrupt and change the opponent's strategy or tactical position when your army hits them. Pretty awesome and it allows for a bunch of keep amazing super general moments.

???
                    FUSION... HA!
                    Last edited by SoulGambit; 08-18-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Holden View Post
                      Stuff.
                      Fair enough.

My characters:
                      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• I think the main reason to not divide combat Abilities into something like Performance delineations, even in short bursts, is because the system doesn't lend very much intricacy to distinctions between weapons of the same broad type in a manner that would make such Charms have much to do.

I think for, even as short bursts go, distinction would necessitate something that would be a bit out of sorts with the apparent general mandate to construct those Charms with a consistent and unitary tactical and conceptual profile.

That's why I think they're unlikely to appear in books. If somebody comes up with their own, they can probably get something to their own satisfaction.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by SoulGambit View Post
                          SURVIVAL
                          Okay. First off. The elephant in the room. Survival gets an appearance boosting "become a catgirl" charm that doesn't have the apocryphal keyword. What even?
                          I second that opinion.

Craft rewrite.
                          Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

• Originally posted by SoulGambit View Post
                            BRAWL
                            The charm to rip out someones heart and offer it up as prayers to yourself is... thematically pretty niche. That said, I feel like thematically niche is completely appropriate for backer charms. The mechanics are interesting enough to want it anyways.

Burning Sky Apocalypse is badass lookong. It feels a bit long but eh. Its E5.
                            If it were just heart-ripping, it'd be a good Abyssal brawl charm. With added weirdness of ritual sacrifice, though, I don't know. Suddenly brawlers are creepy evil priests or something.

Burning Sky Apocalypse is awesome, though. Probably my favorite charm by a wide margin in both books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew D View Post

If it were just heart-ripping, it'd be a good Abyssal brawl charm. With added weirdness of ritual sacrifice, though, I don't know. Suddenly brawlers are creepy evil priests or something.
                              Or they're kung fu legends.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• You say evil priest. I say brutal, savage warrior.

Comment

Working...
                                X