No announcement yet.

Exalted and childbirth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The kind of censorship in the Realm is nearly as tough as like within the IS, you are not allowed to have any art or display of art then the Dragons.
    I for myself find this sill unsettling, since I love art.

And for the Lunar they had (in 2nd Edition) a lot of charms to deal with disease.
    We had a Lunar in our group who could after he was infected overcome the sickness and he never would be harmed by it again, same for poison (even Yozipoison).
    Plus he could heal people with this disease or create the poison he survived by his own.
    Last edited by Brind'amour; 08-26-2016, 04:25 AM.

"She is a peacock in everything but beauty." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Studying things for my Biomedical science exam reminded me of one interesting little complication.

So, even though Third Edition doesn't really have the idea that Exalted naturally have any higher resistance to disease beyond the fact that it cannot kill them, their immune systems probably still work about the same as you would expect of a person.

So here's a question; are blood groups a thing in Creation? As I recall, the factors that result in blood groups are not strictly necessary to the function of anything (which is basically why people with O type blood are able to function), so it's conceivable that they wouldn't be.

Specifically, would people think that the blood groups that result in Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn exist in Creation?

That can be a bit of a curious intersection in the idea that the health of the Exalted extends to the baby; what happens when the health of the mother is the actual thing that is attacking the baby?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Missed this.
        Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        Besides, even as somewhat more coercive marriages go, when it comes to the Red Rule, well... the description of the marriage ceremony in that book doesn't seem like the kind of thing that makes consummation a necessarily public affair, and possibly not even strictly necessary to validate a marriage, so it may not even be expected on the actual wedding night. Think about it; a marriage needs to go by for fifty years with the couple not having sex with a timing or frequency that would suggest trying to have children before it will be automatically annulled. There will be certain financial incentives against doing so, but it otherwise seems fairly possible for two Dynasts to engage in a collaboration of business and habitation with no sex for a few decades, and then refocus their attention elsewhere.
        That's actually why I think it needs to be addressed. Arranged marriages are a staple of the kind of stories that you can tell with Dragon-Blooded but they come with a lot of pre-conceived notions attached for when a marriage needs to be consummated etc. What's logical based on what else the books have to say on marriage has a lot less weight than the rapetastic way they do things in Game of Thrones.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
          Missed this.
          That's actually why I think it needs to be addressed. Arranged marriages are a staple of the kind of stories that you can tell with Dragon-Blooded but they come with a lot of pre-conceived notions attached for when a marriage needs to be consummated etc. What's logical based on what else the books have to say on marriage has a lot less weight than the rapetastic way they do things in Game of Thrones.

I always imagine a lot of Dynasts political marriages use the Turkey* baster method of conception. Heck, instead of repurposing a kitchen tool, there may even be a device or artifact for such situations.

*or whatever bastable meat is appropriate to Creation.

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            Studying things for my Biomedical science exam reminded me of one interesting little complication.

So, even though Third Edition doesn't really have the idea that Exalted naturally have any higher resistance to disease beyond the fact that it cannot kill them, their immune systems probably still work about the same as you would expect of a person.

So here's a question; are blood groups a thing in Creation? As I recall, the factors that result in blood groups are not strictly necessary to the function of anything (which is basically why people with O type blood are able to function), so it's conceivable that they wouldn't be.

Specifically, would people think that the blood groups that result in Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn exist in Creation?

That can be a bit of a curious intersection in the idea that the health of the Exalted extends to the baby; what happens when the health of the mother is the actual thing that is attacking the baby?
            I now headcanon that Exaltation automatically makes your blood O-positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by kingcrackers View Post
              I now headcanon that Exaltation automatically makes your blood O-positive.
              ​Hmmm...

Shit, I hope I didn't write that HDN happens when the mother is Rh positive and the foetus is negative...

Ehh, I described the principle, the pathology and the treatment correctly, those should more than make up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Brind'amour View Post
                The kind of censorship in the Realm is nearly as tough as like within the IS, you are not allowed to have any art or display of art then the Dragons.
                I for myself find this sill unsettling, since I love art.

And for the Lunar they had (in 2nd Edition) a lot of charms to deal with disease.
                We had a Lunar in our group who could after he was infected overcome the sickness and he never would be harmed by it again, same for poison (even Yozipoison).
                Plus he could heal people with this disease or create the poison he survived by his own.
                I think, like the Islamic world generally, it really depends. Like how IS won't allow any non-figurative art, but most parts of the Muslim world will let you draw pictures as long as it's not of Allah or any of the prophets.
                And the Shi'ites will happily have pictures of Muhammed.

So, in some really fundamentalist parts of the Realm, there might be no art. And Pelleps Delled and co will rail against it as a sign of how decadent the Realm has become. But most people don't really worry about it.

My characters:
                Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  I think this is mainly a problem if a mortal women (sometimes men...it's Exalted everybody can get pregnant) is pregnant with like a Demon, Beastman or a Fairy because these pregnancies are more dangerous for the mortal woman because it is so unnatural.
                  If a mortal man would impregnate a God, Fairy or Demon it would be less dangerous... well for the mother... I guess a Fairy mother could devour her Baby if it has hopes and dreams...
                  Giving birth to a Godblooded on the other hand I imagine rather "smooth" there is not really a danger if I recall the Books right.
                  And for a Solar, Lunar or Dragonblooded mother there shouldn't be any real danger in my opinion.

Comment

• Usually in real life those are immune system reactions of some kind, right?
                    I guess it depends if you regard immune system problems as something Exalted shouldn't be able to suffer. I imagine it is possible, in pregnancy.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                    Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                      I guess it depends if you regard immune system problems as something Exalted shouldn't be able to suffer.
                      ​See, that's the thing; it's not really a problem with your immune system, since it is still working as intended.

It's just an occasion where your immune system recognises the red blood cells of the foetus in your uterus as germs, and attacks them.

It's much like reacting badly to receiving a transfusion of an incompatible blood group, or your body rejecting an transplanted tissue or organ.

For that matter; if blood groups are a thing in Creation, would people assume that the Exalted can reject transfusions or transplants?

Originally posted by Brind'amour
                      these pregnancies are more dangerous for the mortal woman
                      Ah, but I'm not talking about the immune system attacking the foetus because the pregnancy is dangerous, I'm talking about how the immune system can respond in ways that, from the perspective of humans, is a mistake. In the case I'm talking about, the baby is not dangerous, it's just that some of its cells possess a biochemical marker that the immune cells recognise as foreign, and those cells are 'designed' to destroy elements that they recognise.

Obviously this is highly unlikely to come up in play, but I find it interesting to analyse some of the implications of a few setting elements against the complexities of human health and medicine, which include things like how a fully functional immune system, doing exactly what it is supposed to do, can recognise something like a foetus with a different blood type as not belonging and potentially kill it.

Really, there's a certain irony to how the immune system, which is generally so integral to survival, is also the reason that things like transfusion of the incorrect blood type can kill you. The red blood cells in an incompatible blood type are entirely harmless in their own right, including the biochemical markers that are the reason the white blood cells attack them at all. In simple terms, the reason that a transfusion with the wrong blood type is so dangerous is because your own immune system destroys the blood that you desperately need, and this does not represent an error by the immune system.

Comment

• I'd say that if the organism's immune system stops it from reproducing, it's an error. [/picky semantics]

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        For that matter; if blood groups are a thing in Creation, would people assume that the Exalted can reject transfusions or transplants?
                        I guess I would. Unless it was performed using magic, then it would probably transcend blood types and immune rejection. Unless whoever that magic, or the person performing it, screwed up.

But I think it would be fair to let Exalted use their own self-healing Charms to "assimilate" transfusions and transplants they would otherwise have rejected.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                        Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Originally posted by Brind'amour View Post
                          If a mortal man would impregnate a God, Fairy or Demon it would be less dangerous... well for the mother... I guess a Fairy mother could devour her Baby if it has hopes and dreams...
                          According to GWM, being impregnated by a Creation-born can be quite traumatic for a Raksha mother, as she cannot shape the baby away like she can normally do with any alterations to her "body". Not sure it makes such a pregnancy dangerous per se to the Raksha, but it's definitely not a pleasure cruise to be saddled with all the usual symptoms when you're not used to experiencing things you don't want to experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morangias View Post
                            According to GWM, being impregnated by a Creation-born can be quite traumatic for a Raksha mother, as she cannot shape the baby away like she can normally do with any alterations to her "body".
                            Ahh I didn't know that. I always just felt like a Fairy is just not the kind of thing I want to have a baby with ^^

I have a Solar Exalted who has a child with a Dragonblooded outcaste, we made it a halfcaste. Pregnancy and childbirth both went quite well like it should be when everything goes as planed.

Comment

• I'm a bit averse to the idea of a form of impregnation that is inherently traumatic. I've already stated my reasons for an inclination towards occasional complications, but I find the idea of something inherently harmful, at least with almost any kind of focus on it, to be crossing a certain boundary in invoking a certain uncomfortable brand of body horror with little justification.

Comment

• I don't mind the idea that pregnancy is often traumatic for Fair Folk, insofar as it is event that fundamentally alters in them in ways that they probably can't begin to understand and find terribly disconcerting and frightening.

I also don't mind that certain demons or spirits who find themselves pregnant might find the experience traumatic. Gilmyne, for example, reproduce by simply getting a group of them together, doing a little dance and "spawning" a new member of their race. If one of them somehow became pregnant with a demon-blooded child and had to carry it to term, no doubt they would find the experience to be deeply upsetting and troubling.

It would be like if a husband and wife are trying to have children, and one morning the guy wakes up to find out he's pregnant - while that might make a good plot for a romantic/comedy movie, it would no doubt be pretty traumatic and uncomfortable for the guy.

Of course, I can easily imagine a Fair Folk mother enjoying being pregnant and playing at being a mother, but for many such beings for whom pregnancy is not a natural part of their life-cycle, if they suddenly found themselves pregnant, they would probably find it absolutely shocking to say the least.

All that said, pregnancy for PC's is absolutely another kettle of fish and should only happen if the player is comfortable with it, and while such a pregnancy might be traumatic for the character (presuming that's what the player wants) it shouldn't be traumatic or uncomfortable for the player.

Comment

Working...
                                X