Exalted and childbirth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greyman View Post

It claims that a Dragonblooded pregnancy lasts a full 15 month year, does not begin to show until the fifth month, and the mother can remain as active as otherwise for the first 12 months with no danger to herself and child. Implying there needs to be some slow down during the last three months.
    ​That's always been how Exalted pregnancy was portrayed, mind.

Originally posted by Greyman
    Additionally there needs to be a five year break between pregnancies or the mother starts to age rapidly.
    That was a case of the Second Edition book conflating two things in the First Edition book.

First Edition said that it's healthy for the Exalted to wait about that long between pregnancies, to avoid compounding complications, and also told an anecdote about a Dynast who used sorcery to make herself age more rapidly so that she could safely have children with greater frequency.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Stunting your (Stamina + Performance) [Childbirthing] rolls is something to be done with great care, if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        That's always been how Exalted pregnancy was portrayed, mind.
        My headcanon has the longer duration be one of the big reasons for the relative lack of complications. Also that the children of Exalts are more likely to be exceptional in some fashion when the mother is the Exalted parent - being steeped in Solar/Lunar/whatever Essence for a year has gotta count for something, right?

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        That was a case of the Second Edition book conflating two things in the First Edition book.
        One more case, anyway.

Comment

Exalted should never die in childbirth unless their players want them to.

Dynastic breastfeeding could go either way. Either mama puts the babe to her chest and entreats her issue to "DRINK FROM THE TEAT OF A HEROINE BORN," or she pushes the child into the hands of a servant and tells them to just take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Meianno Yuurei View Post
            As wandering states. It isn't exactly hard to make the leap from "heroes shouldn't die to bleeding out or infection, so exalts don't" to "dead in childbirth is the story for the parent of a hero, not the hero themselves, so exalts don't".
            Yeah. My experiences of it in fiction is that it's often a cheap death for when they want to clear the stage of unnecessary characters ready for the next generation.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

I've always thought that the most common attitude towards early childrearing in the Realm would be pretty stern. Dynasts are supposed to be tough warriors and all, and you don't want to ruin the kid from an early age by coddling it too much with a mother's love and attention. So sure, the baby's got to eat, but you don't want them to get all weak and soft with what we would consider normal maternal bonding. Not to mention, plenty of Exalted mothers are busy attending the Deliberative or inspecting troops or riding around dispensing the Empress's justice. Having a wet-nurse would seem like an obvious practice. Of course, that might also get balanced out by them thinking that an Exalted mother's milk has a better chance of passing along Exaltation. And, of course, just because society discourages it doesn't mean that a mother wouldn't have a desire to keep their child close. Still, I would think that the standard would be for the child to be raised mainly by servants, with parents checking in on them from time to time. Doting too much could be considered eccentric or even mildly scandalous.

Comment

Oh man. I tried to avoid this topic, but what the hell. *stands on soapbox*

I really hate the "Exalted have longer pregnancies" rule. Exalted are still human and thus should have a human length gestation (Creation Calendar weirdness aside). Woman carrying demon/ghost/god-blooded fetuses may give birth prematurely rather than having longer pregnancies. The body's response to strange fetuses is "get it out", not "hmmmm... let's let this baby bake a bit longer and see if that helps."

I'm okay with childbirth being dangerous for mortals living in areas with poor medical resources. Generations of woman died in childbirth which inspired the trope of dead mothers and children being raised by step mothers. We can balance this out by the fact that Exalted woman, due to Exalted Healing, have an easier time in childbirth. I want tales of Dragonblooded generals taking a few hours off to give birth and then going back to generaling to be true in Creation. If my character can shoot an arrow across the world and throw mountains, she can give birth, bundle up the baby, get back on her horse, and continue riding away from the Wyld Hunt.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                  I really hate the "Exalted have longer pregnancies" rule…

I want tales of Dragonblooded generals taking a few hours off to give birth and then going back to generaling to be true in Creation. If my character can shoot an arrow across the world and throw mountains, she can give birth, bundle up the baby, get back on her horse, and continue riding away from the Wyld Hunt.
                  In what way does a fifteen-month pregnancy that never so much as inconveniences the character enough to inflict a dice penalty interfere with that? Because I don't see how it does.

Comment

I want tales of Dragonblooded generals taking a few hours off to give birth and then going back to generaling to be true in Creation. If my character can shoot an arrow across the world and throw mountains, she can give birth, bundle up the baby, get back on her horse, and continue riding away from the Wyld Hunt.
                    I admit I kind of snicker at the image of a slightly disheveled-looking DB walking up, and noting to one of the sergeants under her command that yeah, she's good to ride into battle. Hell, she just pushed a screaming child out of her body, facing down a bunch of spears and arrows can't hurt THAT much more.

Then she offhandedly mentions that it's a girl, and the Sergeant gives a small "Oh, congratulations."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      In what way does a fifteen-month pregnancy that never so much as inconveniences the character enough to inflict a dice penalty interfere with that? Because I don't see how it does.

Because there is more to role playing a pregnant character than a dice penalty.

Bringing life into the world is a character changing experience. Other characters are going to treat a pregnant character different. The character is going to act different, even if she isn't suffering from the negative symptoms of pregnancy. If the character is a Solar there is going to be issues of whether to keep the child or not. Foster it out or raise it yourself. What to do with the child if the Wyld Hunt discovers you.

I see no reason to stretch out the time period that all these things are going on another 6 months.

I write things.

Comment

I admit, it always seemed a bit odd to me that the writers apparently wanted pregnancy to be less burdensome on Exalted, and then decided that Exalted pregnancy lasts much longer than a mortal's pregnancy - 6 months longer! That seems rather more burdensome to me. You'd think they would have taken the opposite route and said that the nature of the Exalted causes the child to gestate much faster than normal meaning an Exalted preganacy only lasts for 6 months or so, with fewer complications and all that.

I just never really got the reasoning behind why the authors wanted it so that Exalted mom's-to-be take half-again as long to have a child as a normal mortal.

*EDIT* Is there some sort of historical or mythological narrative that was tapped into concerning the 15 month pregnancy? Many famous heroes and myth figures had unique circumstances for their births, but spending much, much longer in the womb isn't one I can link to any major figures off-hand.
                        Last edited by AnubisXy; 08-12-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          I admit, it always seemed a bit odd to me that the writers apparently wanted pregnancy to be less burdensome on Exalted, and then decided that Exalted pregnancy lasts much longer than a mortal's pregnancy - 6 months longer! That seems rather more burdensome to me. You'd think they would have taken the opposite route and said that the nature of the Exalted causes the child to gestate much faster than normal meaning an Exalted preganacy only lasts for 6 months or so, with fewer complications and all that.

I just never really got the reasoning behind why the authors wanted it so that Exalted mom's-to-be take half-again as long to have a child as a normal mortal.
                          Honestly, I just chalk it up as "Stupid shit Exalted the RPG did in the past" along with Lilun, the Scarlet Empress fucking officials in important meetings, and everyone is bisexual.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          *EDIT* Is there some sort of historical or mythological narrative that was tapped into concerning the 15 month pregnancy? Many famous heroes and myth figures had unique circumstances for their births, but spending much, much longer in the womb isn't one I can link to any major figures off-hand.
                          Irish mythology has some strange childbearing aspects. Children would have multiple fathers and the like. I can't think of any specific example of a long pregnancy.

I write things.

Comment

Väinämöinen was in the womb for 700+ years, according to the Kalevala.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                            Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

Bringing life into the world is a character changing experience. Other characters are going to treat a pregnant character different. The character is going to act different, even if she isn't suffering from the negative symptoms of pregnancy. If the character is a Solar there is going to be issues of whether to keep the child or not. Foster it out or raise it yourself. What to do with the child if the Wyld Hunt discovers you.

I see no reason to stretch out the time period that all these things are going on another 6 months.
                              You know, that might actually be the reason.
                              Fictional pregnancies often get dragged out for the sake of drama and you've got way bigger problems if you as a player feels forced to deal with it.

Edit: Incidentally, I really hope Fire Has Wrought gets some kind of extension of the Red Rule for arranged marriage and breeding expectations.
                              Last edited by Lioness; 08-12-2016, 04:46 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

​How many of those are taking place on-screen?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X