Exalted Storytelling Guide (Beta)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Storytelling Guide (Beta)

I've been posting bits and pieces of this around the board. I was going to post chapter 2, but at this point it was so large it would've been a bitch to format, and just by looking at the formatting job I went "Nah, lets just post the entire damn thing".

This is what I've been working on in my spare time as of late along with evocations and Infernals. It is a Storytelling Guide aimed at helping people new to Exalted how to plan, run, manage, and most importantly have fun with their first Exalted game. Things such as how to plan for a game, how to create antagonists (Both their fluff and their crunch), how to set up a scene for combat, how to make custom charms and artifacts, and probably more things once I think of them. If you can think of anything to add, such as various topics, please go ahead and post here what I should add. If you don't have an account than my email at sandact6@gmail.com is fine too. Right now I'm looking for Feedback for chapter 2, but feedback on anything is good too.

What this document is not however is overly long document on lists and list of premade enemies to use. Such a thing would be an entirely different project. I'd like to try it, but at this point I want to teach a man to fish.

Enough rambling, here's the document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...kmMshw3Q/edit#

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Not done reading, but this looks very educational so far. I'd definitely like to steal your Hydra, if that's alright with you.

Comment

The other idea to set a high bar for higher tiers of information and capabilities. Before the game look over your players stats and record the higher values of non-combat stats such as Lore or Medicine. The next step is to make up new difficulty levels starting a 6 for these tasks. A Lore roll of +6 might uncover a fact about a Third Circle Demon who has been known to rarely leave hell or barely anyone has studied. A difficulty +10 roll may allow the Lore user to declare biological facts about the Celestial Incarnae or declare facts about the normally unknown entity He Who Waits Behind the Wall. A person with Medicine +6 successes may be able to save a person whose body is now a carrier for the Young of the Scorpion Empire, while those with Medicine +10 successes may even be able to find a way to restore a person who’s been soul devoured by the Raksha themselves! You don’t need much, and on the bright side you won’t be blindsided if a PC asks, “So how many successes do I need for X?” This is what Morke does for his game, and he’s one of the creators of Exalted.
      I think it would be more clear, and maybe this is just a personal opinion, that the difficulty should be listed at 6+ and 10+ as the current marker of +6 and +10 makes it seem mathematically that you are saying difficulty 11 and 15, as your previous mention of difficulty 5 was the bases and the +## is adding difficulty to the previous mentioned difficulty.

Detailed Enemy Creation Sample Walkthrough[sic]

This is incredibly detailed and awesome I might add. It might even be a bit much for new STs though.

Last edited by Maudova; 08-16-2016, 01:14 PM.

Craft rewrite.
      Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Originally posted by artex View Post
        Not done reading, but this looks very educational so far. I'd definitely like to steal your Hydra, if that's alright with you.
        Go ahead. It was meant to be stolen. I haven't actually put the completed statblock up for him due to ::effort:: but I'll put it up... eventually.

Originally posted by Maudova View Post

I think it would be more clear, and maybe this is just a personal opinion, that the difficulty should be listed at 6+ and 10+ as the current marker of +6 and +10 makes it seem mathematically that you are saying difficulty 11 and 15, as your previous mention of difficulty 5 was the bases and the +## is adding difficulty to the previous mentioned difficulty.
        Higher difficulties are possible, but I really don't recommend it. Difficulty 10 is basically a 50/50 chance with a maximum excellency dicepool, and unlike combat a lot of other charms don't have near the amount of dicetricks combat has. I will consider grammer and revisions as I've been extremely shit at doing such things before.

This is incredibly detailed and awesome I might add. It might even be a bit much for new STs though.
        I aimed it at people not only completely new to Exalted but also new to tabletop gaming in general. A lot of the information presented in the document is either things I learned during my experience as a GM that I really wish I knew early on while the other bits are regurgitated bits of other GM manuals.

Some sections may be overly winded (like the sample Hydra) but its one of those things that once you get used to it it tends to go by fast. The Bartolls I did a while back barely took me any time at all to write for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
          Higher difficulties are possible, but I really don't recommend it. Difficulty 10 is basically a 50/50 chance with a maximum excellency dicepool, and unlike combat a lot of other charms don't have near the amount of dicetricks combat has. I will consider grammer and revisions as I've been extremely shit at doing such things before.
          Yeah a quick move of the + symbol from one side of the number to the other will remove the issue so the +6 or +10 would look like 6+ and 10+.

Craft rewrite.
          Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Yeah a quick move of the + symbol from one side of the number to the other will remove the issue so the +6 or +10 would look like 6+ and 10+.
            Is there a difference? It looks the same to me, as in saying a difficulty where 6+ means 6 or more successes are needed on the task in order to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
              Is there a difference?
              6+ means 6 or more. It is an indefinite amount, but absolutely bounded to be 6 or higher.
              +6 means an additional 6. It implies an exact number can be calculated. Without referencing another number, the baseline, the starting point, one is left asking how to calculate the number. One will start guessing. Standard difficulty of 1 then +6? Standard Essence of 1 then +6? Starting Willpower of 5 then +6?

That is, at least for us Americans.

I'm about a quarter of the way through. My eye twitched when I read 'Linowan in the Northwest', but that's because I assumed from lack of context you meant the Northwest of Creation - it could easily be called the Northwest of the East.

Sidereal Jumpstart (3e fanwork Charmset)
              Cascades (the above in flowchart form)

Comment

Working...
              X