[Exalted-related Media] "Thunderbolt Fantasy" aka Exalted the TV-Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Exalted-related Media] "Thunderbolt Fantasy" aka Exalted the TV-Show

We all knew that there was a bunch of badass puppeteers in Taiwan, of the non-hopping kind.
    They've been doing amazing work for the last several decades, making wuxia-puppetry. Now, Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero and Puella Magi Madoka Magica fame decided to work with the crowning jewel of that industry, to create a Puppet show for a new audience.

AND IT IS GLORIOUS.

It's basically Exalted in a nutshell.
    It's got a Abyssal warlord in a shadowland manse, gathering the mightiest of daiklaves. Now, he is hunting the strongest of those, and is by pure "accident" opposed by a wandering Dawn Caste and a motley crew assembled by a dude mostly reminding me of a Sidereal.

The fight scenes are amazingly choreographed, the costumes and aesthetics are everything I feel is lacking with modern fantasy anime to make a proper Exalted-feel. And all of this is made by filming hand-puppets. Freaking PUPPETS!

Watch it. It's got 13 episodes, is on CrunchyRoll, and we're on episode 6.

• Lioness
    replied
    Though in a sense he's also been losing constantly in that neither of the villains he's ruined the lives of during the course of the show have had the desired reaction after all the cat and mouse.

Leave a comment:

• NullApostle
    replied
    Just caught up again before the finale.

I just couldn't see the Enigmatic Gale ever taking an L, and turns out I was right. Man, that guy is just going to fuck over everyone forever.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
    Been watching a ton of donghua on Bili Bili but been meaning to get around to Thunderbolt Fantasy. There a good place to stream it that doesn't involve raising the colors?
    Crunchyroll and VRV have it, if you're cool with ignoring ads then free is also an option there. Not sure if there are others.

Leave a comment:

• SamuraiMujuru
    replied
    Been watching a ton of donghua on Bili Bili but been meaning to get around to Thunderbolt Fantasy. There a good place to stream it that doesn't involve raising the colors?

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    It's just that it reminds me of the manga in a bad way and the differences... in Kei Gai's design between the two mediums.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    Episode 10 concerns...
    Little concerned to start seeing blatant fanservice in this show after 3 seasons.
    Thunderbolt Fantasy has never exactly been good in its portrayal of women but it's been a lot more watchable than a lot of anime because it's harder to objectify puppets. Hence a character like Zhao Jun Lin whose basically a succubus gets a design that's kind of badass demon royalty rather than titillating (it's helped that she'll be voiced by Aoi Yūki whose previously shown us that she can make a sword sexy).
    I get that. Seemed a bit weird to me since I mean puppets and all that so the fanservice titllation stuff wasn't translating. On the otherhand I will give that I was happy to see it as opposed to what feels like the the 40th iteration of the same shots of her talking to the sword over and over again at least this looked different.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Episode 10 concerns...
    Little concerned to start seeing blatant fanservice in this show after 3 seasons.
    Thunderbolt Fantasy has never exactly been good in its portrayal of women but it's been a lot more watchable than a lot of anime because it's harder to objectify puppets. Hence a character like Zhao Jun Lin whose basically a succubus gets a design that's kind of badass demon royalty rather than titillating (it's helped that she'll be voiced by Aoi Yūki whose previously shown us that she can make a sword sexy).

Leave a comment:

• Yukiartic
    replied
    Well, its never too late to say ThunderBolt Fantasy is amazing.
    If you are reading this and thinks that you would never watch a puppet wuxia show.... please do so!

I'm currently watching season 2 and can't wait to see season 3!

Leave a comment:

• NullApostle
    replied
    Thunderbolt Fantasy "airs" Saturdays. Season 3 got three episodes so far, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Apologies for the necromancy, but well it seemed very relevant.
    Spoiler tagging the trailer in case people who didn't know want to go in blind.

So season 3 has already started and I think they have an episode or two out already.

And a thing of some interest from the first episode.
    So we have a teleportation network that from phrasing may also include time travel not sure. On the other hand I do like that the restrictions on it are limited and growing as to where it can go and that if you want somewhere specific you better get lucky because that thing does not focus.

Leave a comment:

• NullApostle
    replied
    The second movie was great. Better than the first IMO.
    Can't wait for the third season!

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    Not sure on the total context, but um performance battle in this scene.
    Princess Cháo Fēng is a mad woman with an ideology that musicians perform better when their life is on the line so has her guards try to kill them mid-performance. She has yet to be kink shamed for this.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    So bit of necromancy, there's a new movie for the series out. " Thunderbolt Fantasy: Bewitching Melody of the West" Seems to already be in the usual spots with subtitles.

Not sure on the total context, but um performance battle in this scene.

Leave a comment:

• YeOfLittleFaith
    replied
    Xie Ying Lu leaving the show the way she did is worse in retrospect, considering how solid a character she was this season and how lacking several of the few female characters have been in lasting importance.

I really hope Dan Fei gets more chances to shine next season, if the story progresses in the expected direction it would make great sense for her to take up a major role again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X