3E God-Blooded QCs [PEACH]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3E God-Blooded QCs [PEACH]

Hey guys, Leetsepeak here! After a few discussions about mote-pools and God-Blooded, I had a few ideas in my head to lay down what things are roughly like for most of them, so I decided to whip together three pretty straightforward QCs to provide an example of my approach. I primarily focused on giving each of them a small pair of distinct powers which might be a big deal to them, might be totally mundane to Exalted and not-well known for anyone else.

In the case of the Black Goat, he's an exception. He was an opportunity to do a God-Blooded character with a mote pool and a few native charms in addition to his MA which makes him dangerous. People like him are very much not common, and usually it'd be a God-Blooded player character wielding that power in his place. I hope these inspire in terms of format or content, and if you have any critique, positive or negative, I'd love to hear it!

God-Blooded Characters

EDIT: Some other comments...
    • I know how the Black Goat sounds, but I swear I have a very positive relationship with my mother!
    • It might be a little too easy to spot half of Serene Vision's inspiration.
    • Andrus has an ability to do something effortlessly that I've been imagining Icewalkers are actually capable of doing without being God-Blooded. That is to say, if they honor their patron with specific sacrifices and rites on a regular basis, I could imagine that Kohorun or other totems might bless specific tribesmen with the ability to take on their Aspect. Unlike the God-Blooded though, who can just do it, I imagine they have to make the fancy sacrifice as a reset condition, unlike the God-Blooded. It might also be less impressive for others. Or I might soup it up for Andrus! Any thoughts you guys have would be awesome.
    Last edited by Leetsepeak; 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

I really like these! The flavor text for all of them is very interesting and compelling and features some ready-made plot hooks. I especially love Serene Vision, but I also love owls so that's not surprising. A few quick notes / suggestions:
    • You give Andrus the ability to do "Strength 4" feats, but I think feats of Strength are at 3, 5, 7, and 10. This is something I'm personally not 100% about, but in the 3E book, the listed QCs are capable of 3, 5, 7, and 10 (with varying dicepools).
    • I wouldn't hesitate to make them a little physically resilient, especially Andrus and The Black Goat. Giving them an extra -4 HL would help solidify that these individuals are really more resilient than just faster healing. Then again, a number of gods and demons have 7 HLs, so YMMV on this suggestion.
    • I would maybe give Andrus the Unnatural Hide (o) and make him a little more fuzzy, and I would definitely give Serene Vision Enhanced Vision (ooo)
    • For Serene Vision, while "Truth is Written" does play into both the accounting and scribeness aspects of her mother, I'd be interested in seeing her have a bureaucracy power as well. I think that being a scribe and being a good accountant both play into a kind of managerial, no-nonesense, innately aware of how to handle complex tasks schema.. The tack you take on it is a little bit more investigative, which I really like. Branching her out to also have some sort of managerial intuitions might be cool, especially since I'm not seeing any kind of bureaucracy dice pool.
    These are all really minor thoughts and suggestions, for the most part I think you've really nailed some good ideas in these, and I would love to see more. Though it's a little trite and maybe uninteresting, I'd be interested in seeing how you'd interpret and homebrew some more mundane godblooded, like the child of a City Father, or maybe of a small geological feature, like the local river that has been irrigated and diverted to water some modest crops. While these aren't particularly interesting in the grand scope of Solar Exalted being god-kings, I think some interesting personal narratives can be hidden there.

Comment

There's something about Serene Vision that just doesn't feel right. Great Folks has tons of godbloods, she could have easily found fellows to be her friends. Any other city however, her character would work just fine.

My homebrew blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Jaxus View Post
        There's something about Serene Vision that just doesn't feel right. Great Folks has tons of godbloods, she could have easily found fellows to be her friends. Any other city however, her character would work just fine.
        That's a good point, though I may approach it another way. I wasn't necessarily going for the angle that she's God-Blooded, therefore people avoid her, but rather, they avoided her due to her mother. That might require more fleshing out, but the rough idea is that her capacity to know secrets and glean truth from people is exactly the kind of ability that makes other gods in Great Forks interested in her and fearful of her. Not fearful in the sense that they couldn't kill her if they really wanted to, but the idea that she could learn some dangerous secret and spread it somewhere.

Or something to that effect. Any anxiety they have about her is of the small potatoes variety, but I imagine the sense of alienation works both ways. It's probably not easy to be friends with people when you can tell when they're lying to you, y'know?

I'll take a stab at it when I'm doing other revamps.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Good god. How do I fix that post.

Comment

Oh god, what did you do? Haha hang on I'll see if I can fix it.

EDIT: Well, it was beyond saving. But at least I was able to delete it.
            Last edited by Charlaquin; 09-20-2016, 01:35 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Thanks for these Leetsepeak! Great Forks is the hub for Scavenger Lands Roadtrip campaign and I will definitely include Serene Vision when the Circle eventually escapes Denandsor! I might find a use for the Black Goat too.

No real critique, they seem great, if you like I will pop back in a few weeks mention how they fared in the ongoing story.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1515 View Post
                Thanks for these Leetsepeak! Great Forks is the hub for Scavenger Lands Roadtrip campaign and I will definitely include Serene Vision when the Circle eventually escapes Denandsor! I might find a use for the Black Goat too.

No real critique, they seem great, if you like I will pop back in a few weeks mention how they fared in the ongoing story.
                That would make me super happy! It's fun to make these things, but the idea of somebody actually using them is beyond cool! If you make a thread here or just reply to this one, I'd be super eager to hear how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by PraxisCat View Post
                  You give Andrus the ability to do "Strength 4" feats, but I think feats of Strength are at 3, 5, 7, and 10. This is something I'm personally not 100% about, but in the 3E book, the listed QCs are capable of 3, 5, 7, and 10 (with varying dicepools).
                  That was an error, he should be capable of Strength 3. The idea is that when he is in the Aspect form, he can attempt Strength 5+ feats. When you consider Exalted characters that may not seem like a big deal, but for Andrus and the Red Tree Bear tribe, that's a fairly big deal for a man to be capable of!

I wouldn't hesitate to make them a little physically resilient, especially Andrus and The Black Goat. Giving them an extra -4 HL would help solidify that these individuals are really more resilient than just faster healing. Then again, a number of gods and demons have 7 HLs, so YMMV on this suggestion.
                  Yeah, I don't want to give them additional health levels solely as a means to make them tougher. The Goat is keeping his 7 HLs, while Andrus gained 2 more. He's a very big man who is descended from a giant bear god, so in his case I thought it was cool.

I would maybe give Andrus the Unnatural Hide (o) and make him a little more fuzzy, and I would definitely give Serene Vision Enhanced Vision (ooo)
                  It was intentional that Andrus only gained soak from his Aspect Form, but I don't see the harm. He already has very high soak for someone who is wearing medium mundane armor, which means he might be a surprisingly challenging foe for a normal person or someone without a strong weapon.

You're right about Serene, though I might just give her double-9s like a regular owl because dice-adder merits on QCs are a bit weird.

For Serene Vision, while "Truth is Written" does play into both the accounting and scribeness aspects of her mother, I'd be interested in seeing her have a bureaucracy power as well. I think that being a scribe and being a good accountant both play into a kind of managerial, no-nonesense, innately aware of how to handle complex tasks schema.. The tack you take on it is a little bit more investigative, which I really like. Branching her out to also have some sort of managerial intuitions might be cool, especially since I'm not seeing any kind of bureaucracy dice pool.
                  It's important to keep in mine that Serene is smart and supernaturally competent in some things because of her mother, but she is not supernaturally competent in all things given to her mother. Perhaps she would make a good manager or a bureaucrat should she choose to refine that and focus her energies there, but at the moment, she doesn't have that ability. She's pretty young! Think Nancy Drew with owl eyes and a semi-legible skin condition. Fun little note: The text that appears on her skin is slightly raised, so if you traced your fingers along one and know how to read like that, you could potentially read what she's read with your touch.

Her powers being more investigative is probably a matter of investigation being the thing she does habitually. She's cultivated those skills, but she hasn't necessarily cultivated an incredible capacity for bureaucracy like her mother.

If I get the itch to write up her mother, it might give a better sense of what her potential growth could be.
                  Last edited by Leetsepeak; 09-20-2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

For those who are interested, a small bit of insight on how I imagine constructing God-Blooded.

Regular God-Blooded

Usually, they will have between 1-3 "core" abilities that are derived from a mixture of their God-Blooded heritage and their own habits. Some powers might exert stronger influence over a God-Blood's behavior than others, and from a Storyteller position, a good thing to think about is what a regular person might use their power to do to improve their life. Most powers will be powerful effects that cost 1 Willpower to activate each time, strong powers which cost 1 Willpower to activate for one scene, or low level, passive powers which are either always on or may be effortlessly activated. I'll try to include an example of the last one in the next one I write up.

These guys are almost always Essence 1. Maybe Essence 2 for few of them. They don't have Charms or mote pools, so this is usually not a super significant thing all on its own, but still noting it! Sometimes these powers can be quirky minor things, that's okay. Not every god is gonna father the next Adonis.

When I think of God-Blooded Progression, I imagine Powers costing the same as Evocations, and being designed in a similar way. Their Powers should reflect their current behavior/interests as well as the influence of their divine parent. I imagine they might cultivate a few more powers over the course of a lifetime, but I probably wouldn't give them more than 5 distinct things. Supernatural Merits might be sufficient to represent them.

Summary of Principles
                    • Essence 1 or Essence 2
                    • 1-3 "core" Powers if any, 5 at most.
                    • Can use Supernatural Merits instead
                    • When using their Powers, they most often spend 1 Willpower to activate potent effects, 1 Willpower for a scene's worth of benefits, or a reflexive/automatic benefit of their powers.
                    • Many God-Blooded powers may have conditional activation. EX: Andrus may only use Kohorun's Baneful Bite on people declared enemies of the Tribe.
                    • Usually give Exalted Healing for free
                    • Powers cost 10 XP.
                    Potent God-Blooded (Charms!)

Like Robert Vance previously has said, there are probably a small number of exceptionally puissant God-Blooded who may have Charms. For creating them, I really like to have a strong idea of their parent. A God-Blooded with charms like this usually isn't the son of a minor river goddess or a petty elemental. These are the rare children of Second Circle Demons, potent divinities and Elemental Dragons (Can they have kids? Probably.) I look at the purview and actual charms that some of these things (Like Mara!) and usually I try to pare it down to specific functions or impressions of part of their charmset that represent the sliver of power that the God-Blooded can access.

I can definitely imagine some of them attuning to things like Artifacts. If I had to create provisional rules for these God-Blooded and Evocations, I would limit them by saying they can only unlock Evocations from artifacts specifically made for them or their parent. Some potent supernatural parents might gift their progeny with enchanted items or even Artifact equipment in some situations, but expect these to be rare outside of unique relationships like that between the Black Goat and Mara.

I usually peg these guys around Essence 2. The most powerful of God-Blooded will be Essence 3. For how powerful their Charms are, try again to look at existing Charms and limit them or add in conditional activation or resets. One God-Blooded daughter of a Goddess of Shadows and Weaving might be able to weave supernaturally tough clothing, but she can only do so at night, for example.

You might occasionally wind up with a surprisingly powerful charm in the hands of one of these guys. Consider that things like a God-Blooded charm do not have to contend with Eclipses learning every charm, and the God-Blooded rarely get the chance to expand their portfolio and abilities further, and some may be balanced by their scarcity.

Charms cost 10 XP.

Summary of Principles
                    • Essence 2, 3 for only the most powerful.
                    • Mote pool is Essence x 10.
                    • around 3-5 Charms
                    • Can use Supernatural Merits instead
                    • Can attune to things using their mote pool. Probably cannot unlock Evocations unless special story-things permit it.
                    • Many God-Blooded powers or Charms may have conditional activation related to phenomena under the purview of their parent.
                    • Usually give Exalted Healing for free
                    • Charms cost 10 XP.
                    Last edited by Leetsepeak; 09-20-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X