Back Alive or Maybe Dead [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice calls!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• ...the Ranger dressed, grabbed her firewand, and set out into the night.

She could no longer hear the shouts by the time she hit the street, so the Ranger had to navigate from memory. That little bit of direction was all she needed to sprint through the shadows, a dull red bolt in the moonlight.

A short while later, she turned a corner and almost walked into a scene of unrest.
      A group of toughs were gathered around a carriage house. The doors to the house were open, and inside the ranger could make out a couple people standing by a a great steel carriage - Jehn's jail-coach. One was working on the door with a hammer and chisel, while their partner held up a lamp.

The ground just outside the carriage doors smoked and smoldered. The Ranger, downwind, caught the smell of firedust on the air. She could make out the form of what looked like a human body, on fire, laying on the ground just before the door.

A figure crouched on the roof of the carriage-house. By her coat and hat, and the shortened firewand in her hands, the Ranger immediately guessed it was Jehn. Four others stood some distance away from the carriage-house, staying out of her range. They were all dressed in nondescript workers clothes, except for one who wore a set of fine Delzahn robes - Hark.

"You think you're brave, comin' at me eight to one?" shouted the bounty-hunter from the rooftop.

The men below jeered and cursed. One of them threw a rock which bounced off the wall just below the roof.

"Do you believe you are brave, cowering out of our reach?" Hark called back, standing calmly with his hands on his hips. "Besides, I count seven to one now. And you will pay for young Rance, depend upon it. Lerdch! Make haste, we do not have all night!"

"Almost got it, Hark!" shouted back the one with the chisel. By the sound of it, it was a woman's voice. The coach rattled and shook. "Hold your horses, Bone. Kickin' the door won't get it open any faster!"

The Ranger, still at the corner, gave her matchlock a tight squeeze.
      • Then she lit herself up and came barreling around the corner, a blazing fulmination of fury.
      • She forced herself to wait, and watch what happened next.
      • She quickly doubled back and passed through the alleys to the rear of the carriage-house. She thought to ascend to the roof.
      • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Ascend the roof and get some height.

I write things.

Comment

• The choice is obvious.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
            The choice is obvious.
            (That is one of the most kickass gifs I've ever seen. Where does it come from?)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
              (That is one of the most kickass gifs I've ever seen. Where does it come from?)
              The same way I find all my gifs, google search. "man on fire gif"

Comment

• I would urge caution and get on the roof, but that gif wins.

Blazing fulmination of fury!

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

• Let's get the high ground.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• (2 for rushing in, 2 for going covertly up to the roof. Any other takers?)

Comment

• I'll make an argument to help sway. We should do some damage before we unleash the jerk in the cage. Getting to high ground may give us some tactical insight, but we lose more of the numbers advantage. Plus we can act as a distracter for Jehn who already HAS the high ground.

Comment

• I will give in to my inner pyromaniac and change my vote to fire.

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                          I will give in to my inner pyromaniac and change my vote to fire.
                          A vote for fire is a vote for freedom.

Comment

• Then she lit herself up and came barreling around the corner, a blazing fulmination of fury.

Of course, a woman on fire tends to draw the eye. Moreso, when she's coming right at you. A man standing beside Hark pointed and shouted, and they all turned to look. Hark stared in disbelief, but only for a second or two. Then he yelled to all the rest: "SCATTER!"

They didn't need to be told twice. Everyone in the street ran a different way, none of them towards the Ranger. Up on the roof, Jen crowed. "Ha! The White Plains Ranger! Now you're in for it!"

The Ranger's vision focused on Hark. Hark was backing up slowly, compared to his fellows. She ran in, raised her matchlock, willed a bit of her own fire to light the pan, and a bloom of sparks burst out in front of her.

Hark anticipated the shot - he dove to one side, rolled, and scrambled to his feet.

The Ranger silently reloaded, sweeping dust through the flames, and readied another shot. Then she had to break off to duck an metal pole swung at her head. One of Hark's friends had circled back and was dancing around her now, thrusting at her with a steel staff while staying out of her reach. She sidestepped a thrust and then barreled into him, scorching him with her heat. He yelled, stumbling back a step. The Ranger swung her bayonet up and across his hand, cutting and cauterizing his palm. He dropped his staff, still yelling until the Ranger kicked him in the stomach and knocked him to the ground, winded.

Following an unnameable instinct, the Ranger then ducked. An arrow whizzed through the space where her head had been. She hopped back, and another shaft stuck into the dirt by her feet. Hark's other two boys had scrambled onto the roof of a shed nearby and were going at her with shortbows.

She risked a fraction of a second to take stock. There was the man in the road beside her, down but not out. Hark was standing where he had been, as if waiting for something. Two archers. The folks in the carriage-house were still focused on their task. What about Jehn?

A quick glance at the roof of the carriage-house answered that question. Jehn lay on her back, wrestling with a hooded figure wielding a knife.

Then she heard a crack, followed by the resounding crash from metal on metal. "SOY LIBRE!" shouted a familiar, harsh voice. The Ranger looked back inside the carriage-house. A large man was climbing out of the jail-coach, pushing aside the Lost Souls who'd freed him. The Ranger cursed inwardly.

* She ran for Hark, seeing in him her best chance of escaping what was rapidly becoming a tactical nightmare.
                            * She sprinted at the carriage house, figuring that the risk of close quarters fighting was still better than being shot down in the street.
                            * She raced into the alley, praying that Jehn could hold her own long enough for the Ranger to reach her.
                            * Something else?

OOC Commentary
                            My house rules for DB anima banners is that a DB can choose who or what is affected by their fire/wind/water/earth/wood emissions. You don't need specific charms to fight in a group, ride a mount, or avoid destroying building interiors. This is because anima-fire doesn't have the same physical properties as real-fire. Technically, it's not fire at all - it's an expression of the Exalted's essence, and is subject to their will.

Comment

• Let's go after Hark.

I write things.

Comment

• After Hark. This fight is a mess.

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

Working...
                                X